Is It OK For Guys To Cry? [Please Read OP First]

Jonny Music

So the question still remains...  

19 users have voted

1. 1. Is it really OK for guys to cry?

• Yes of course it is.
    • Yes? No? Maybe???
    • No, it isn't. They should toughen up.
    • Other (please explain in a post with some additional detail)

It is okay for guys to cry in my opinion. I mean why would it not be okay? I mean social inverventions say that it is not good for guys to cry but that is kinda just meh. Lots of time crying is healthy. And even though guys tend to do it less often then girls because of hormones and brain differentials, doesn't mean that it isn't okay for guys to cry, so yeah, that is my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, if it makes sense I guess. I have a weird, involuntary tendency to cry even when it just doesn't make sense...like if I say something in a certain wording (I'm kinda a wordsmith, I love to play around with words, I like to use new words and expressions I learn). In situations like those I try to hide it, LOL. 'Cause people might be going like "Why are you crying just because you basically said you like to eat chocolate?"

But the whole "real men don't cry" thing is bogus. Crying just shows you're kind or have a sensitive heart. Of course, there's a difference between that kind of crying and just plain being wimpy or childish (like crying because you didn't get the lunch you wanted).

A real tearjerker movie I watched not too long ago was a Chinese movie called Aftershock. It was about the 1976 earthquake in Tangshan. I cried at least four times. There's this one part in the beginning where, after the earthquake, the workers are trying to lift a slab of concrete from on top of a mom's two children, but they can only rescue one, since freeing one child will mean crushing the other. The way the mom is just begging the workers to save both of them really broke my heart. So yeah, go ahead and let your eyes gush. :)

Edited by PGNatsu
  • Brohoof 2

I don't care for labels and gender expectations but my appearance and hobbies are considered masculine and I cry all the time. You shouldn't cry a lot because that's sad but it's human. It's a healing act.

• Brohoof 2

Hmm.  Four pages of responses and it's completely unanimous.  Perhaps there's a shred of hope for this world after all...

I grew up in (and still live in) an environment where men who cry are considered weak in many areas. I've lived with the stigma that there was something wrong with me and that I needed help someplace.

I can't believe those kinds of mindsets still exist.  I'm so sorry that you have to live with that sh*t.

I remember a couple of years ago. I was bullied in school by this kid and i remember one day just bursting into tears because i couldn't take it anymore. From what i remember he called me a girl for crying. The fact he said that still annoys me to this day.

Now that makes me want to cry.  I'm so sorry for what you went through.  Some people are so pathetic.

I get misty-eyed a LOT from touching moments in shows and movies, but it takes a really big catalyst to make me outright cry.  I don't do it very often.  I wish I could do it more, though, as it usually feels really good afterward.  And I'm always depressed, and could use the emotional release.

Noteworthy times I've full-on cried, excluding young childhood:

• Over an unrequited teenage love.  (Looking back, it was pretty dumb and melodramatic.)
  • Over the death of my friend, Strawberry, a sweet and gentle mare.
  • At the end of My Little Dashie.  What?  Don't look at me like that!  :lol:
  • Brohoof 1

The people who would say that it is not okay for a guy to cry would also be the same group that says that MLP is a show for little girls and guys must not watch it... same concept, different subject.

• Brohoof 1

Both genders have the equal right to cry. Men who cry are not weak and women who cry are not babies. Coming from a girl who has something to cry about almost every other day, I absolutely allow crying from anyone, male or female.

• Brohoof 1

While I think it's OK for a man to cry at appropriate times and I do think it's wrong for people who aren't close to us to harass us about crying, I do think a stage in social development, say at about middle school age, where crying is looked down upon is actually important to our development, and here's why- when I was a kid, I would cry at everything. I had a terrible habit of throwing tantrums when I didn't get what I wanted, all the way up until 4th grade. Then, I noticed, other kids were suprised when I cried. Finally some of my friends brought it up to me that it generally wasn't acceptable to cry in public. That was a well needed step in my development, since from that day forward I never again went on an emotional rampage for personal gain.

Now, sure, I've cried since then. I cried a little my last day of football practice in 7th grade, mainly because by quitting I felt like I was letting everyone down and because my back had been knocked out of line during the previous drill and hurt like the devil. And, even though I try not to, I've cried at every funeral I ever attended, including one for someone I didn't know personally. But I think the important thing isn't that men should never cry PERIOD but that men should cry in public (behind closed doors do whatever you want) only when the severity of the situation calls for it.

• Brohoof 2

Of course it is. Why would it not be? Guys crying is no different from girls crying. Girls and guys do not differ, saying the specific gender when it's not necessary is being way too specific. I do not like anyone who says guys cannot cry.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Of course it is. I've cried many times. It's a great way to release pent-up anger, grief, and negative energy in general. I've cried from extreme grief, I've cried from anger, I've cried from sublime joy, I've cried from intense relief.

• Brohoof 1

It's fine for anyone yo cry and too see it as a weakness or a gender thing is so beyond my tolerance for ignorance, gender structured stereotypes and the whole lot of it . I personally see it as a good thing for the stress or bottle up emontokns to be let out in a healthy way so guys , gals. And people . Let your emotions out in a perfectly healthy way

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Everyone should be able to show emotions when they need to. To be told you can't cry because you're a guy is totally ridiculous. If you're human you have feelings, that's how it is.

• Brohoof 2