Is It OK For Guys To Cry? [Please Read OP First]

Jonny Music

So the question still remains...  

19 users have voted

1. 1. Is it really OK for guys to cry?

• Yes of course it is.
    • Yes? No? Maybe???
    • No, it isn't. They should toughen up.
    • Other (please explain in a post with some additional detail)

Yes, I too agree with them. Gender doesn't mean anything. They're humans too. And come to think of it.. men also get yelled at, abused, depressed, and countless other things. It's the media that makes us think that men can't cry. Hell, if I was in the military (I'm going to OCS after college) and I figured out something tragic happened, regardless of the situation I'd cry. BALL my eyes of even. The point is, men cry a lot too. I know I do! I tell everyone that, every one of my friends has seen me cry at least once, and I mean ALL of my friends.

My mother brought me up this way and I'm going to do the same with my children. Teach them that everyone has emotions, if they're hurt or broken, offer to help, what's the worst that could happen? Oh and thank you for taking time to read through this, and others for that matter, this needs to be spread around! 

Your gentlecolt friend,

V1NYL_DA5H

• Brohoof 2

When other people regardless of age or gender cry it makes me uncomfortable because I neither know how to deal with it since it increases my social anxiety.

With that said, unless people cry over really stupid, trivial things or it affects me directly-I don't really care about what emotions other people choose to display.

Personally, I never cry in public and the only times I allow myself to cry at all is if someone close to me like a friend or family member is dead or dying.

I've heard many people-both men and women (in person and online) say that if you cry, you are less than a man and undeserving of respect-which, I don't necessarily agree with, but I feel like not doing so in public is the safest root to take, personally.

Edited by Ianpiersonjdavis

Of course it is. In fact, I'd be concerned if you didn't cry.

I don't understand why it's so "shameful" for men to cry. It's actually kind of sexist now that I think about it.

I think it's important to stay in touch with our emotions, it's what makes us human.

• Brohoof 2

It is  ABSOLUTELY OK for guys to cry. Sexism goes two ways. Now, I'm not saying that is isn't worse for women. Women totally have it worse. However, there are a lot of sexist ideas that hurt men. I would say that the biggest one is that it is "unmanly" to cry or show emotion. Society has this pre-determined idea of what it manly or not manly. I think this notion of manliness is what causes a lot of sexist behavior towards women. This also doesn't get a lot of attention. Many people don't even recognize that this is a problem. I think that teaching boys when they are young that they don't have to be emotionally constipated to be a man will also help those boys overcome some of the sexist behavior that they would otherwise be taught is Ok to direct at women.

• Brohoof 1

After watching this from Think Tank, I couldn't agree more (which means I fully I agree with their thoughts).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PdMh98JJ8

However, I would like you know what you guys think about this? I'm talking to both genders (male and female).

Do you think it's ok for guys to cry? Please be thoughtful and don't make your answers too shallow. Because this question can be answered in many ways.

your asking the wrong question. why wouldn't it be OK for guys to cry is the real question

your asking the wrong question. why wouldn't it be OK for guys to cry is the real question

Apparently, I'm not. This question challenges the stigma that guys are not allowed to cry in order to be "manly", so I'd say this question needed to be answered and dealt with.

Of course it is, crying is a perfectly natural response to certain things, like death for example. I think it's kinda stupid how we guys are all taught to be all tough and edgy at a younger age. We are just like any other living being on this planet, please let us express our true feelings.

• Brohoof 3

Of course it is, crying is a perfectly natural response to certain things, like death for example. I think it's kinda stupid how we guys are all taught to be all tough and edgy at a younger age. We are just like any other living being on this planet, please let us express our true feelings.

Girls are taught to be sluts at a younger age as well. It's a pretty even case.

• Brohoof 1

It`s for the best, if you want to disscharge yourself from all that negative energy, or maybe from a full charge of happines :D, but of course from a social pov a man needs to represents control and confidence, so yeah :3..... cry from a true feeling or else, stand TALL, inspire the young, and learn from the old !

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to this. On one hand, crying is a natural response to both pain and sadness, and everybody needs to cry ever once in a while. Yet at the same time, men shouldn't be sharing this sort of stuff, and it's not necessarily a matter of sexism. I hate to be a bit of a strawman, but studies have shown that when men cry or if they're sharing their emotions, they're harming themselves both mentally and emotionally. I can't remember exactly how the study went, but it was pretty interesting to read.

But that being said, if you still want to cry and share your emotions to others, then go for it. That study doesn't apply to all men, really.

• Brohoof 2

Sometimes you find yourself in situations where you want to cry but for some reason can't... you feel sad on the inside yet you can't shed a tear. I've had those moments. 

It isn't wrong at all for anyone to cry. It's like a dam sometimes you can handle so much until you breakdown. 

• Brohoof 1

Testosterone ≠ Tough, Sports, Cars driving through mud, etc.

Just as

Estrogen ≠ Frilly pink laced everything, perfumes, giggling, etc.

​Gender stereotypes are not only horrendously outdated, but are immensely generic labels for people with lesser minds. You'll find boys who are sensitive just as you'll find girls who are tough, so yeah, it's okay for guys to cry.

• Brohoof 1

A likely reason as to the whole "Men aren't meant to cry thing" is the fact that through the course of history, men were considered the dominant ones..

Crying is considered, by many, to be a sign of weakness.. rather than a form of expressive emotions..

And weakness is something people who consider themselves dominant/manly do not like.. as it shows they are less so..

Over the years.. things change and In many groups this concept became more of a rule than a guide..

It annoys me though when you're brought up told not to cry.. I've been depressed for a long time now, i went to see my sister one time and i was having a bad day, my older brother-in-law was there.. and i found it hard to talk as i was half crying, my brother asked my to let out my emotions, i started crying as i spoke, he interupted me and said "man up"

It's like WTF?! You just told me to let out my emotions, then you tell me to bottle them back up again?!?!

But yeah..

I for one think it's ok to cry.. there is nothing wrong with displaying emotions, there is no shame in doing so if you truly have a reason to be upset..

I totally agree that men should be able to cry just as much as women do because if you hold your emotions in, it'll just get bottled up and needs to be channeled another way and the other way might be something negative like violence.

• Brohoof 1

I totally agree that men should be able to cry just as much as women do because if you hold your emotions in, it'll just get bottled up and needs to be channeled another way and the other way might be something negative like violence.

The only thing stopping men from crying is the image that they have to be tough, which, in my opinion, is quite stupid. I hella agree with you for the way they shouldn't bottle up their emotions, people need a way to vent.

Regardless of who you are, if you've experienced "emotional trauma" shouldn't keep those feelings bottled up, just let it out. It's not a crime to cry, and you shouldn't be ashamed of it either.

That's just my opinion. 

• Brohoof 1

Why would guys be disallowed from crying? Showing emotions in some cultures is perceived as strength. It shows moral fortitude to have emotional reactions to things. Machismo may have some level of aversion to tears, but it's human. I, personally, am completely fine with crying, but I'm not the best example, since I'm not the most masculine guy.

• Brohoof 1