Is It OK For Guys To Cry? [Please Read OP First]

Jonny Music

So the question still remains...  

19 users have voted

1. 1. Is it really OK for guys to cry?

• Yes of course it is.
    • Yes? No? Maybe???
    • No, it isn't. They should toughen up.
    • Other (please explain in a post with some additional detail)

We unfortunately live in a world where society stereotypes and forces views on to men that literally cause most to refrain from expressing their feelings. This can obviously lead to damage to these men, because they are very emotionally distant. I deal with that with my step-father. He's so emotionally stunted that he and I are no longer on speaking terms- he can't express his frustrations, his joys, or anything.  I, on the other hand, am an emotional person. It's so conflicting that it leads to fights every time we speak. I find it disgusting. So is it ok for men to cry? Absolutely. That doesn't make you any less of a man, and don't let society ever tell you different.

• Brohoof 1

It is said that Chuck Norris's tears cure cancer, too ban He never cries.

I do cry more often than i would admit to the people im around, but its kinda odd.  When i do its normally because of something that happened in a movie or a tv show that made me sad or happy.  Sometimes its because i get hit in the face with something.... but thats not because it hurts, i think its like an automatic thing for the body.  I do not remember crying over pain.  I havent cried over the loss of family or friends since i was maybe 15. Its been a while, i dont remember that much.   When i was in basic training and at my first duty station, (mainly basic) i cried a few times because i was homesick as hell.    I kinda lost the emotions that having no friends brings when i was in highschool.  

But the only time time i really do that is when i watch sad parts or really happy parts in the movies or tv.   and i guess sometimes songs.

And sometime when im out in the woods, or hiking, or something like that and i realize how wonderful everything is. I havent done that in quite a while tho.

• Brohoof 1

If it's okay, for any gender, to cry - sure! Why wouldn't it be? Crying is one of the most common stress relievers known to humankind. But I think the most important thing to remember is that if you feel somewhat ashamed of how you're feeling and how you're letting it go, you don't always have to do it in public. 

• Brohoof 1

We unfortunately live in a world where society stereotypes and forces views on to men that literally cause most to refrain from expressing their feelings. This can obviously lead to damage to these men, because they are very emotionally distant. I deal with that with my step-father. He's so emotionally stunted that he and I are no longer on speaking terms- he can't express his frustrations, his joys, or anything.  I, on the other hand, am an emotional person. It's so conflicting that it leads to fights every time we speak. I find it disgusting. So is it ok for men to cry? Absolutely. That doesn't make you any less of a man, and don't let society ever tell you different.

That reminds me of a documentary/movie. Have you ever seen The Mask We Live In? It actually touches this topic quite well and goes in depth about it. I would recommend watching it as it's quite interesting/saddening to also see what these men have experienced, some of them even being in gangs and such.

• Brohoof 1

It's totally okay for men to cry, it is a non-violent way to reduce stress, much preferred over taking it out on someone else's car windows.

I cry sometimes, the other people that said they do are not lying that they do too, heck even the most interesting man cries,

"I don't always cry, but when I do it's because I don't have my Dos Equis."

• Brohoof 1

Did 3 people really say that they should, "toughen up"?
I really hope they were kidding. Everybody should be allowed to cry. To you men and boys, don't worry. Most girls wont think any less of you for crying, even then manliest of men cry. It doesn't make you any less of a man, or person, to cry. If anything, it makes you more human. 

I'm a huge cry baby, and I probably would still be even if I was a man. 

• Brohoof 1

Crying from what I know is a human instinct, so it's perfectly normal to cry regardless of gender.

Did you know, when we were first born, what did we do? We cry!

• Brohoof 2

I'm quite shocked really to see a couple of people saying that guys shouldn't cry or someone saying they don't know. I mean it's okay to have your own opinion of course but it's the answer quite clear?

I don't know why boys shouldn't be able to cry. It's a natural function and from I heard, you cry to let others know your in distress which is why when you cry around pets, they tend to comfort you.

I find this whole guys HAVE to be completly masculine thing really stupid

• Brohoof 1

I wish i could cry tbh. Part of the reason why I used to cut myself is cuz when I was feeling depressed or had an anxiety attack, my body refused to cry. So cutting myself gave me a similar euphoric feeling and relief as if I was crying. The only time I feel close to crying is when I'm arguing with someone for so long that I start to feel like crying, regardless of weather or not I'm right or wrong. Which pisses me off even more cuz I would rather cry when I'm depressed, or having an anxiety attack than during an argument. Cuz when it happens during an argument, it clouds my judgement and thinking process even more.

So from this guy's perspective, it's not wrong for anyboy to cry really, unless it's constant as stated in the video. Like if any little thing resulted in crying then that is a way over sensitive person. But if there is a valid mean to cry then it's ok be it male or female.

• Brohoof 1

Crying is a perfectly normal part of being human. It is a powerful display of emotion and a natural response in many situations. It makes no difference at all whether you are male or female. I'm all too aware that modern society often encourages that men showing emotion is a sign of 'softness' or 'weakness', but that view is utter nonsense. Exactly how does it make you look tougher if you suppress your own mental functions? Do you not think perhaps they're there for a reason? I really do hate this attitude that males are expected to act this one particular way & that deviating away from those 'guidelines' is something that should be mocked or discriminated against. We barely understand the human mind as is and yet some people in this world seem to be under the impression that they wrote the book on the subject.

Emotions should not be feared, they should be embraced.

• Brohoof 2

Why in Equestria would it NOT be okay for a guy to cry. Guys should be able to cry and maintain their manlihood at the same time. think about it: Would it be okay to not cry if a family member died just for the sake of your manlihood? No, of course not. It's completely fine for guys to cry. I'm a guy. I cry. And I'm proud of the fact that I do cry.

the question becomes why do you think men should not be allowed to experience the full array of emotions that women do?

Men should be allowed to feel the same way as women can and NOT be labeled as "gay" by any means for doing so.

• Brohoof 1

and what's wrong with being gay? Even if they were labelled as such, that still carries a stigma that being gay is somehow bad.. the world is changing, and so will its perceptions.

Now mind you - sailor moon scale crying over every little thing might not exactly be appropriate, just like laughing at a funeral isn't appropriate - there is a time and a place for everything.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

and what's wrong with being gay? Even if they were labelled as such, that still carries a stigma that being gay is somehow bad.. the world is changing, and so will its perceptions.

Now mind you - sailor moon scale crying over every little thing might not exactly be appropriate, just like laughing at a funeral isn't appropriate - there is a time and a place for everything.

It's because not all guys are gay and are in most cases, straight. Those who are straight (including myself in this case) would fear of being labelled as "gay" just because they want to de-stress themselves by crying instead of resolving to violence if they want to remain civil and not become psychopaths all because they are not letting their emotions out (as long as they have a legitimate reason to cry in the first place).

Edited by Jonny Music

but why the fear of being labelled as gay? What does it matter to others what your preferences are?

It's like a woman being rumoured they are a lesbian or bisexual.. I dunno maybe I am just no longer in the "school peer pressure" world anymore that I just don't care how I am perceived in that way.

Everyone fears social ostracization I guess.. but it also implies gays are sissies - I know a lot of gays that are "manlier" than straight people haha.. the stereotypes are just ridiculous imo.

Yes, it's perfectly ok for guys to cry as well as girls. I hate these stereotypes that if you cry you're weak or you're not manly enough. The people that do mock you, belittle or insult you for crying are not worth it in my eyes.

• Brohoof 1

I voted "Yes" without hesitation or second thought, and I don't even cry that much personally.  :) And I love how there are at least 39 people who agree with me!

But I really do want to see the meager 3 people voted "No. Toughen up."  ^_^

I've been reading through the pages, and so far I've only seen about two people who might. One was dead series, but the other might have been joking? Hard to tell.

Either way, I LOVE how much understanding and support there is in this topic! I love seeing so many people unanimously agreeing that it's perfectly okay for men to have feelings and express them through tears! The internet hardly ever agrees unanimously on anything! Maybe I just found the right community, but this really makes me happy.  :D

• Brohoof 3

This question makes me think of a poem I analysed in Grade 10. http://www.lesmurray.org/pm_aor.htm

Anyway, as for my opinion- crying is a necessary form of emotional release, not a sign of weakness. I think it's perfectly okay for men to cry, and it doesn't make them any less of a man. 

It could quite easily be argued that the true weakness is in a person who becomes uncomfortable just because somebody is expressing their emotions in a healthy, natural way.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...