Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open [RP] The Blackwater Quarry

Randimaxis

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:34 AM, Randimaxis said:

"W-w-what w-w-was th-th-THAT!?!?"

Cresent had to hold down a laugh seeing the mare jump to the whistle, she reminded him of a yellow mare outside the forest he herd of with how skittish it made her. "that's the end of the day whistle its is loud sometimes its hard to hear when your underground hence the loudness. you'll get use to it the more you work here trust me it took some time to get use to for me as well" he said encourage like patting her with his wing seeing her shiver. Hoping to calm her down more as he patted he back before turning to start the stove and putting water in a pan to boil.

"its ok like I said before we bats have to stick together, for a while ive been wondering why we as bat pony's are" he paused looking for the right word, missing would sound bad. endangered?
sick?
dying?
"hiding" he said "it cant be with how the rest of the pony's react to us as bat pony's..." he thought as he moved things around in the fridge  

"you have any favorite or preferred recipes or spices, chess is my go too along with some spice added to it or tomato with bits of meat" he paused "you ok with eating meat, its not pony meat its whale don't worry" he said poking his head out of the fridge.    

Edited by cwhip9
  • Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

Carnelian had remained mostly silent through the entire presentation.  Her smug grin and piercing blue eyes, while usually passing judgement on most they laid eyes on, seemed to regard the scene before her with curiosity.  She had had a myriad meals prepared for her, but never had she been present to watch it being made.  She had always thought of it as a magician who never revealed his tricks; what if somepony were to steal Vylia's recipes and claim them as her own?  She asked as much, though didn't expect an affirmative answer.

By the time her hostess was done, the viscountess' mouth was all but watering.  There were many pleasures in life, and one of the few which she indulged in with moderation was food.  The horrible things it could do to you, but oh the wondrous sensations it could bring!  Her curiosity was piqued and she wanted nothing more than to try this meal.  Would it taste any different now that she had watched it being prepared?

-----------------------------

Low turned himself to the side, looking at his bass clef cutie mark.  "I understand that, Dax.  To this day, my family is still unsure what my cutie mark exactly means.  However, my talents manifested quickly and obviously enough, namely my eye for detail.  It mostly applies to music, but it also works with art and poetry.  Each brush stroke, every word, every note, it all holds a little piece of the author's soul.  What were they trying to say?  What was their motive?  There is no such thing as happenstance in art, every action was intended and has meaning."  The unicorn blushed and shifted his glance.  "Apologies, I do ramble on and on about asinine things."  He gave the other an apologetic grin before straightening up.

He eagerly allowed Dax to lead the way, the aromas from the manor reaching him in no time.  It smelled familiar, but where from?  Tangy, exotic...Saddle Arabian?  No, that would have different spices?  Zebrican?  Possibly, more information was necessary before he could come to that conclusion.

Low's thoughts were interrupted by Dax stopping and leaning in.  The unicorn's eyes went wide and he tried to keep himself from panicking.  His heart pounding in his chest as the other's breath tickled his cheek.  He barely heard the words the other spoke, only nodding dazedly.  Just a few inches more, and...

Once more, Low's attention was taken by the breathtaking artistry on display in the dining room.  His eyes roamed over the paintings, looking these mysterious ponies up and down.  He found nothing enriching, however.  That was typical of most portraits; though the artists were skilled, ponies only wished to see a reflection of themselves, resulting in a bland and tasteless mirror of reality (with a few touch ups).

Finally, his eyes met Luther's, immediately looking away.  Miss Carnelian had a way of piercing into his very soul when she was angry, and this look was all too familiar.  His eyes focused on the floor, avoiding both the patriarch and his son.  Did he know about his feelings?  Could he tell?  What if his talent was reading minds?

"A-A pleasure to meet y-you," he stammered, before quickly adding.  "M-my lord.  I-I mean, Mister Luther!"  His heart was pounding in his chest.  Those eyes, those eyes that sapped his confidence, that gaze that burdened him like a sack of rocks.  Despite his high birth, he felt like an insect before this powerful stallions stare.  Miss Carnelian would surely be disappointed if she saw him like this!  She wasn't here already, was she?  Oh dear, he had to get himself together, and fast!

• Brohoof 2

@cwhip9

Though she was shaking like a leaf, Echo gave a nervous gulp, then tried her best to settle down.

"... th-th-that was... i-it was LOUD!  Is it a-a-always that loud?"

When Crescent spoke of the other bat ponies, Echo put on a wistful look.

"I... don't know.  There's a l-lot of bad feelings out there t-t-towards Thestrals, and I think a lot of it m-must have come from Nightmare Moon's legacy.  Mostly, Thestrals are associated w-with Princess Luna, and it's been so h-hard for her to get around many ponies' feelings on the matter.  Because of th-that, many of us just aren't made to feel comfortable when we get close to townships or the l-like.  Not everypony's like that, I know... but enough of them seem to be, a-and even though Thestrals have been protectors of Equestria for g-g-generations, we're still viewed through a haze of n-nebulous threat..."

She blushed, realizing she was carrying on a bit.  "... a-anyway, the upshot is that we seem to be counted among the weird stuff in Equestria... s-so it may take a while for them to lighten up s-some."

Looking to the fridge, which was actually a steel locker that Silver had outfitted with a Chill spell, Echo cocked her head slightly to one side when Cress asked what she preferred.

"Well... I l-love sandwiches.  They're complete entrees in a simple bread casing!"  She giggled.  "And I do REALLY enjoy cheese - more than most mice, in fact - and if you're going to use any kind of spice, may I suggest a b-bit of chili powder?  I... I love spicy foods.  But please, no meat - I already have to curb some of m-my instincts, and NOT eating meat actually helps with that."

She kept glancing over at Crescent, as if she were trying to get a good look at him while simultaneously not trying to stare.

@Blitz Boom

Silver laughed happily, and wrapped her own forehoof around the diminuitive doombringer, hugging her as tightly as she was being hugged.  The inventive mare had been pretty popular with other kids in her hometown, and now she was getting the chance to enjoy the presence of a rather ingenious filly - something she saw as entertaining as Blitz was awe-inspired.

"Okay, okay, okay!  If you really feel like the stuff in this 'crate' of yours would be interesting to see, then I'm all for it!  But I don't think we should sneak... after all, I AM the resident repair pony, and that means I sometimes have to venture out at night here.  If I go with you to get your crate, then I can always tell any Night Watch guards that you and I are out investigating a service call from this afternoon."

"Then, it'll be like we're simply here to fix something, and the guards will let us pass.  We'll be unstoppable!  Well, actually not so much as unstoppable, but more like we'll certainly have an epic amount of luck and situational circumstance on our sides!"

She looked at Blitz.  "So... lead the way, and once we fetch your stuff, we can just make a beeline directly for my shed.  Sound like a plan?"

@Hazard Time

Luther stared at Key for a moment, his eyes seemingly scanning the very depths of the little royal's very soul.  However, if he'd found anything there he didn't like, it didn't show.  Instead, the Blackwater patriarch gave a slight nod.

"Lord would not be inaccurate, but it is a title I do not care for.  Instead, you may refer to me as Mr. Blackwater.  Dax does seem to like your company.  Good."

With those few words, Luther seemed to simply focus his mind elsewhere.  He wasn't the most sociable of ponies, but then again, he didn't HAVE to be - he was in charge here, and no pony could tell him otherwise.  The look on his muzzle seemed to verify that possibility.  It didn't seem like the usual high-class snubbing of a socialite... it was more in the manner of someone who has much on their mind, and simply is busy thinking things over.

Dax nodded, whispering to Key.  "That's a good thing - he must like you!"

Dax offered Low Key a seat next to himself, and even went so far as to pull out the expensive-looking chair for the royal to sit in.  Dax made his way to his own seat, then sat and looked expectantly towards the door.

Almost as if with uncanny timing, it was only about a three-second count before the butler twins came in, carrying loaded trays of fine filigreed silver.  Following them was Vylia herself, having led her guest from the kitchen to the dining room while carrying a tray herself.  Setting it down within close reach of Carnelian, she brought out a comfy-looking chair for her guest, then slid into her own seat smoothly.

Once again, the door opened... and in came two maids.  One was covered from mane to tail in what appeared to be green ink, while the other one was sopping wet.  Walking between them was a small, light blue colt with wings.  He wore a smirk of superiority, and did not lose that nasty smile even as he slowly and deliberately made his way to a seat and sat.  The two chagrined servants said not a word... but if looks could kill, the colt would be most certainly deceased.  Turning, the maids left... shooting a look at the blue menace as they got out of the door.

"A toast!"  Vylia smiled as she looked to Carnelian, raising a specially-constructed flute of fine cider with a hoof. 

"To keeping our spirits held high, our coffers full and happy, and our demons at bay!"

Dax nodded, smiling.  Luther nodded, NOT smiling.  Vylia nodded, smiling knowingly.  The blue colt's own naughty grin became a full-blown wicked smile as he stared directly at Low Key.

@Mentis Soliloquy

The door opened with a slight creak - it was well oiled, just old - and Taps' mismatched eyes looked out at Scarlet.  She nodded only once, then glanced around furitively, as if making sure the cook wasn't followed nor accompanied.  Satisfied, she opened the door wide enough to let Scar in, then shut it almost immediately after the mare got inside.

Once shut, Taps locked it up; seven different locks clicked into place as Taps went about the effort quickly, as if she'd done this hundreds of times.  Once the door was secure, the mailmare sighed and made her way back around the counter to her seat.

The interior of the Pony Express office was quaint and homey.  It truly was just a cottage that had been outfitted to be a post office, as Scar could see the cute little kitchen in back, plus every single inch of the place seemed to speak miles of mediocrity.  Across from the long counter Taps was seated at was a calendar, the month turned to a picture of a tropical paradise, complete with beach and sun umbrella.

There were a number of postal amenities, but many of them seemed as though they were hardly ever used; much of the stock looked as though it had been neatly stacked years ago, only to be woefully ignored.  Taps, now seated on a stool, rubbed her temples as she gave another long sigh.

"I suppose you'll be wanting an explanation," Taps suddenly spoke.

• Brohoof 3

@Randimaxis

Low took a deep breath, followed by a gulp.  Things were defusing nicely, that was good.  On top of that, Dax was pulling out his chair for him.  That assuaged the fear away, replacing it with a growing warmth in his chest and cheeks as he had a seat. 

"Thank you, Mister Dax."  The unicorn beamed rested his forehooves in his lap as he waited for everyone to get situated.  The Blackwater patriarch may have been an imposing presence, but Dax's proximity balanced that out nicely.  Carnelian's introduction could not have come at a better time.  Aside from Dax, she was the only other face that kept his nerves calm. 

The noblemare graciously accepted her place at the table, settling herself in to the chair.  Her eyes flitted to the youth entering, though didn't linger long.  She was more focused on her own glass of cider.

Low eyed scene and easily deduced the context.  So this must be Oglevy?  He looked every bit the terror that his elder brother had described him.  He would have to keep his wits sharp.

Thankfully for him, however, after toasting to the Blackwater's fortune (and having a generous sip of cider), Carnelian immediately took up the mantle of conversation.

"There appear to be a few faces in here I'm unfamiliar with," she began.  "Your mother gave me a rudimentary introduction, but I'd like to take advantage of the occasion to get to know you two."  Her eyes went first to the youngest, her smile becoming brighter as she took him in.  Oh this one was going to be a tart, wasn't he?  What kind of spoiled brat was he?

"You must be Oglevy, if I'm correct?  Did you enjoy my gift?"

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

The filly felt happy as the hooves were wrapped around her from the larger mare. Sure, Blitz had some friends in Ponyville, but most of them were fillies or colts. Most older ponies avoided her or got nervous about getting too close to her because they thought she was a bit out there. Apparently living by herself at age ten in the forest and making explosives made her weird or something.

As for the foals her own age she got along with, it wasn't too many of them that were allowed to played with her really . The CMC didn't really care enough to listen to the warnings, but most of the others that wanted to play with her in the Ponyville school had to b e sneaky about it.

Mostly when she wanted to have fun with her closest friends, she actually had to go to Canterlot. Which were easier said than done considering she brought fireworks for them to play with, and the guards were sometimes reeeealy suspicious about what she were bringing in. It had worked this far though, but she had to rethink how she hid things. From the matron at the orphanage too for that matter. She wasn't all that keen about Blitz's creations. Something about them being dangerous most of the time.

This friend reminded her a lot about them actually. Liked what she had to show them, and she also had to sneak in and smuggle things past other ponies with weapons. Just that Silver were waaaaay smarter than any of them. She had to be, what with all the pretty machines and lightning power everywhere.

And like with all of her other friends, hearing that SIlver wanted to see what she had brought along made Blitz ecstatic. She loved to show off what she had made, and since Silver had the battery thingies she spoke off before, perhaps Blitz could even get some help with the next-most important thing she had brought along.

"Yey! I can show you my brain hat then. Let's gogogogo!!!"

With that - and a bit of bouncing in place - Blitz turned around and ran towards the gate as fast as her little legs could carry her, either unaware or unconcerned about how the front gate would react to seeing a filly storm towards them.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Outside the Mines - Tap's post office (Pony Express)

Scarlet was taking in the sights of the nice little cottage as Taps moved back to the spot she was sitting in waiting for her assumed, making note of how many locks that seemed to be on the door was quite an odd thing to see from a mare like her. She'd honestly expected a mare like taps not have a single lock on her door mind the six or seven she seemed to have on the door to secure it, quite different she thought.

However...

When she heard a voice speak she near jumped out of her skin when she saw Taps actually mutter words, mutter was right she didn't mutter she spoke to her. "I'll..." Her voice broke and the mare coughed to make her voice come back to her, it was almost surreal to see a mare like Scarlet choke up like this but it was quite a shock to her system to see Taps actually speak. "I'll get that off you in a moment." She coughed again to fix her voice properly. "Ah hem! You can speak?!" Was the only thing her rational mind wanted an answer to at that current time despite the fact she was here for something far more serious. 

59e0944a7e812_Scarletsbanner2.png.68ba882c62a72e9bfda67c5bf98d7e07.png

• Brohoof 2

On 10/6/2017 at 11:16 PM, Hazard Time said:

"You must be Oglevy, if I'm correct?  Did you enjoy my gift?"

The precocious-looking colt smiled broadly... like a snake.

"Yes, ma'am - the crystal soldiers will make an excellent addition to my collection; they will be the support squad for my Wonderbolts, and with them in place, I can finally take over the Crystal Empire... just like Sombra, except I'LL be a ruler they LIKE."

His eyes bore venom, but his expression was all smiles and sweetness. 

"Yes, he does have QUITE the collection - no expense spared, isn't that right, my little noble?"  Vylia's eyes seemed to be brimming with pride for the little heathen.

"Yes, Mother."  His eyes then slid sideways, and without even so much as a turn of his head, he spoke again.  "And may I ask, whom is this that you've brought with you, ma'am?  He looks so regal... is he your colt?  I wouldn't think so, as you look too elderly to-"

"OGLEVY!"

His face went all surprised, then embarrassed.  "Oh!  Pardon me, ma'am.  I sincerely meant NO offense; please forgive my rudeness."  His eyes, however, said he wasn't sorry in the least.

Dax, for what it was worth, did his best to simply stay out of the limelight, though he did give his younger sibling a sidelong glance at his words.  Then, with a slight sigh and eyeroll at his brother's antics, he returned to his meal... though he did take a moment to murmur "I told you so" to Low Key, seated next to him.

Vylia recovered herself and gave a slight laugh.  "He's still learning, of course - my sincerest apologies if he offended..." she momentarily turned to glare daggers of pure fire at the little fellow, "... but I assure you... it  will  NOT  happen  again."

Oglevy smiled again.  "Of course, Mother."

Luther turned his stony gaze onto his wife's guest.  He was looking her over calmly, scrutinizing her carefully as if she were looking to make some sort of deal that he knew nothing about... yet there was no malice or suspicion in his gaze - just unyielding vigilance.

On 10/11/2017 at 4:28 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Yey! I can show you my brain hat then. Let's gogogogo!!!"

Silver laughed at the little filly's enthusiasm, then made her way back towards the front gates. 

The guards atop the mighty wall seemed to be puzzled by the appearance of a filly they didn't allow inside, but with a few words from Silver, they agreed kindly enough that there was no way such an adorable little one could cause any trouble at all.  secretly, Silver was overjoyed they hadn't heard about the stray rocket attack from earlier; that would NOT have been easy to cover-up... and with all she'd heard so far from the diminuitive Blitz Boom, she had a feeling that it may have had at least something to do with this little powderkeg.

She waited patiently as Blitz gathered up her stuff, then led the way back to Shed Row.  They came upon the shed with all the nifty widgets sticking out of the top of it, where she unlocked the door, then made her way in and brushed a hoof across the wall.

>CLICK<

And the inside of the shed lit right up, as if it were daylight inside.  There were long, white pillars of glass set into weird-looking brackets in the ceiling, and they glowed with some sort of inner light that couldn't be readily discerned by sight alone.  They made the little workshop as well-lit as anyplace in broad daylight.

The workshop itself was a humble-looking affair.  There were two workbenches set together in the center of the shed, and there were small bins EVERYWHERE.  they had labels on them, which said exciting sciencey-stuff, like 'copper wire', and 'elbow joints', and 'sealing putty', and even 'power couplings', which seemed interesting how powers could be coupled.

The entire workshop was neat and tidy, with a place for everything and everything in its' place.  Even the blueprints tacked to the shed's walls were arranged neatly and orderly, so they could be easily seen by whomever was using them... supposedly, Silver herself.

The repair mare trotted over to the other side of the workbench island in the center of the room, and set the bundle of stuff she'd been carrying on her back down.  She breathed a sigh of relief, then looked over to Blitz and grinned.

"So... what exactly IS a 'brain hat'?"

On 10/13/2017 at 6:24 AM, Mentis Soliloquy said:

"Ah hem! You can speak?!"

Taps rolled her eyes.  "No... this is merely an auditory hallucination brought on by bleach fumes from your soup kitchen..."

She sighed, then got off the stool and made her way around the counter to stand muzzle-to-muzzle with Scarlet - a humorous sight, as Taps was smaller than Scar was.

"Alright, I promised an explanation, so I'll give you one.  But you'd best understand that telling you this means you are automatically SWORN to secrecy - the very fate of Equesrtia itself could lie in your silence, is this CLEAR?"

She eyeballed the other mare for a moment, then returned to her stool behind the counter.  It was strange watching Taps climb the thing to sit on it, instead of flying as she was most certainly equipped for.  Once she'd settled in, she leaned on the countertop in front of her so she could look Scarlet right in the eyes.

"What I used to bring you back from the brink of death wasn't some recipe or family secret or such... it was a mystical artifact.  An artifact that I'm the keeper of, along with an entire warehouse full of other magical items of such power, they cannot be trusted to simply exist loosely in the world as we know it.  Items of great power - some even cursed - have all been gathered over the centuries by Her Royal Highness Princess Celestia, after the banishment of Nightmare Moon."

"Realizing that such artifacts could be incredibly detrimental in the wrong hooves, the collection was put under the protection of the elite of Celestia's Royal Guard, who were all gifted with a small portion of immortality themselves in exchange for their unyielding loyalty to the cause of keeping these collected items out of the public eye, safely hidden away from those who would exploit them."

"I was one of seven ponies chosen for their dedication and resolve by Her Royal Highness Princess Celestia herself - and was given a magical relic that kept me at my current age for the forseeable future.  Scarlet?  I happen to be over three hundred years old - and not a day of that time has been spent on much else, other than the defense of the artifacts in my care."

She gently facehoofed herself.  "As to why I decided to save you?  Well, that's easy enough - a life is a life, no matter whom it may be.  Plus, I... admittedly panicked a bit.  the flood was... NOT something I ever thought to expect.  But I made the call, and the result is that you get to continue upon this mortal coil.  You'd do well to keep that in mind, as the revelation of my position and charges would be something that could get me in more hot water than you've ever known."

Taps looked at Scarlet.  "Are you with me so far?"

• Brohoof 3

@Randimaxis

Carnelian's smile crept up the sides of her face, her immaculate teeth sparkling in the candle light.  This colt was just a TREAT!  She absolutely loved ambitious colts; just point them in the right direction and their own headstrong momentum would do the rest.  She'd have her eye on him.

And then the viper bore its fangs.  Carnelian maintained her composure with nary a twitch, though Low's skin was considerably thinner.  His eyes went wide and his mouth fell slightly ajar as he looked from his mistress to Oglevy.  What was he suggesting?  That he was her son?  Well of course it couldn't be, she was-wait, what if he wasn't saying that?  What if he was suggesting...

Did he know?

The viscountess kept her disappointment from showing as she prepared a deflection. She would lecture at him later tonight about wearing his emotions on his sleeve.  She had a feeling it would be just as fruitless as every other time she had given that lecture.

"Oh it's quite alright, Mrs. Vylia," she chimed, waving a limp hoof and displaying a disarming smile.  "Foals say the darndest things, don't they?"  She paused for a moment to allow the chuckles of agreement to die down before she turned her eyes to the offender.  "You would be correct, Master Oglevy.  Mister Key is a ward, his parents entrusted him under my tutelage so that he would learn the ways of courtly life.  Especially considering Stalliongrad's proximity to the Crystal Empire, I was an excellent choice in the matter.  Wouldn't you agree, Mister Key?"

"Yes, yes I would," Low piped up, a flush filling his cheeks at having been put on the spot.

With that dealt with, both guests finally began on their meal.  Low was quick to compliment, a lesson that had taken no time at all to drum into his head.  "This meal is exquisite!  My compliments to your chef, Mister and Missus Blackwater."

Carnelian, however, ate in silence.  Her eyes flitted up from her meal, immediately locking with the Blackwater patriarch's.  She could feel the weight and strength behind that look, and she countered with her own, a subtle display of dominance.  Who would look away first?  Who would break the tension?  It wouldn't be the viscountess.  She had played this game many times, and despite his imposing size, she had no reason to feign sycophancy in his presence. 

She accepted that he would never acknowledge openly just how much he and his family needed her, but there were plenty other ways to demonstrate your subservience.

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

It had taken some time to find what Blitz had brought along. She hadn't wanted to put it too close, in case somepony saw her, and she hadn't wanted it to get stolen, so she had buried it. Took a long time for her when it were, but magic and determination had done wonders. It'd still be easy to see where it were buried though, as it was done pretty shallow and the loose grass covering it really didn't make it inconspicuous. But it wasn't like Blitz cared much about form over function anyway. Long as it worked well enough, the ascetics could be thought on later.

It was quite a sizeable crate too. About double the lenght of her and heavy. Even with as much focus on her telekinesis as she could, she had to be careful when transporting it to the gate and back to the shed. And all the way from Ponyville? Could be up to a week, if she had been as cautious with things in there as she were now.

As the went towards the shed, her scatterbrained self became more evident as it wobbled at times when her mind went to other places or something caught her eye.

Storm Shine always told her that she should try and focus more on things, but there was just so much to think about, and so many things to explore. She couldn't ignore that in favor of little things like only eyeing one task at a time, or safety. That'd just be silly.

She certainly couldn't keep focus of just one thing when the shed opened up and the lights went on, that was for sure.

The light alone was amazing, and something she could really use in her workshop, as it got hard to work at night sometimes and she couldn't use oil lamps since, well, everything would blow up.

Then came everything else. Piles and stacks of methodically organized and labelled materials, stored ready for use in unimaginable experiments and repairs.

Blueprints lined a wall that she couldn't read from here, but looked intricate and full of potentially breathtaking inventions, all thought out and created by the mare who now stood at the island in the middle of this sea of inventiveness and brilliance.

Usually even the smallest things made Blitz get ideas, but for the first time she could remember, she had nothing. Just a blank stare in her eyes while her jaw slacked and the box fell the few centimeters to the ground in front of her with a loud *Thonk*.

"...Everything is perfect..."

She slowly went over and put a hoof on one of the containers, marked with the word *Wires* and felt like a jolt went through her leg.

Then another, and then... All Tartarus went loose.

Blitz metaphorically exploded in energy and started running in place, looking all around her for what to focus on first and mumbling/squealing things to herself that was best described as mad gibberish.

Wires, string, set with quartz. Metal shavings! Power fusion, electricity. Flames reaching to the skies and water flowing in baubles!"

She was engulfed by everything. Even if she didn't understand what most stuff in here were, just seeing it and what potential it could have, made her mind race faster than ever, and got her away from the question Silver had asked her. How could she keep the focus on this when there was so many news things to make in here, and so much that already had been that she could examine?

"This will be the best thing eve..."

Before the sentence could even end, the filly took a half step forward and without warning, lost consciousness and collapsed on the floor.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Scarlet was tempted to laugh at the smaller Pegasus as she tried to physically intimidate her, but then she started talking...

It took a moment for the stunned looking mare to scoup her jaw off the floor. She looked like someone had punched her in the face a few dozen times minus the physical results. Once she had done this she rose a hoof to quieten the mare. "Don't speak another word, if what you say is true which I suspect it is as you have no cause to lie and your face also tells me it's not lying I don't wish to hear another word. I may be a bit opportunistic when it comes to making bits or helping my family but I am a loyal servant of the sisters and would never do anything to compromise them or one of their agents." She turned to leave having been given an answer that satisfied her, curious how some straight talking convinced a down to earth mare? 

She turned back on her way out. "I will never utter this information to another sole, so long as I draw breath you have my word. Goodnight Taps." With that she made her move to leave unless Taps wanted her to stay.

59e5fa0092639_Scarletsbanner2.png.0a1139d6f4fd6578c03c73ea29a4ce9c.png

• Brohoof 2

On 10/15/2017 at 5:37 PM, Hazard Time said:

"This meal is exquisite!  My compliments to your chef, Mister and Missus Blackwater."

Instead of her usual laugh and flourish, Vylia instead slid a sly look at Carnelian and gave a slight smirk.

"I do believe they'll get the message, dearie; so glad you're enjoying it."

Though Oglevy had seemed a teensy bit chagrined at being referred to as a foal, he still put on his own self-righteous smirk when he was called 'Master Oglevy', and he certainly seemed to pay a bit more attention to the proceedings after such treatment.  It seemed as though flattery might be a good avenue in to this one.

Dax continued to eat carefully and quietly, yet every now and again, he would point out a particular foodstuff to Key, especially ones he found delicious himself.  He did manage to look up at the viscountess one time - and smiled with well-polished mannerisms that were probably much closer to what Carnelian wanted for Key.

"If I may be so bold, madam - I would also like to thank you wholeheartedly for your kind and lavish gift.  The bracelets are exquisite, and they fit me perfectly, of course.  I'll be looking forward to using them for a social event... as... soon as... the next invitation arrives for one, that is."

As his sheepish grin became an embarrassed smile, Vylia sighed airily.  "Daxter, dearie - she is aware of our social standing; though appreciated, your hesitancy is a bit unnecessary."

Vylia gestured towards her esteemed guest.  "Viscountess Carnelian has decided to bestow upon us her endless generosity, and she is going to utilize her formidable skills to pull our family name out of the proverbial mud, making us a more socially viable family of reputation."

Oglevy nodded, yet his eyes continued to look Carnelian over - as if silently gauging her, though not exactly in a bad way.  Dax gave Low Key a worried glance.  Luther, however, didn't budge nor blink; he continued his gaze, continuing to dine quietly and without missing a single spoonful.  He didn't seem to be rising to her response, though... 

It was more as if there was some sort of message across her muzzle that he was trying to read from across the table.  Maybe... it wasn't even a challenge to him?  Maybe he was playing it off?  Or perhaps he was subtly disdaining to even acknowledge that he was intimidated in the slightest?  There was honestly no way to tell; his gaze was piercing, but there didn't seem to even BE a challenge behind it.

To outsiders, he would genuinely appear to be staring.

On 10/17/2017 at 8:25 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"This will be the best thing eve..."

Silver squeaked and leapt forward to catch her, but was just on the short side of speed.  Instead, she quickly scooped up the little mare and hastily checked her over, frantic to make certain the little one was unhurt... or if she was, how to help as quickly as possible. 

Seeing nothing that looked as though it were wrong, she relaxed a bit... then, carrying her gently, brought her to what looked to be a large wooden crate, shoved unobtrusively into the far corner.  She gave it a light kick, and it sprang open on hinges, revealing a simple mattress and blanket, with a small pillow tucked away on one end.  

Setting Blitz gently inside, Silver leaned over and looked down at her with a touch of alarm, but a bemused and kind smile.

"Oh dear oh my... eh, heh heh... umm, Blitz?  Hello?  I certainly hope you haven't suffered a stroke, because I am most certainly NOT cleared to make any sort of medical decisions here!  Blitz?  Hello..? Helloooo-oooooo?"

She tapped gently on the little filly's ear, trying to gently rouse her.  

On 10/17/2017 at 8:39 AM, Mentis Soliloquy said:

"I will never utter this information to another sole, so long as I draw breath you have my word. Goodnight Taps."

Taps lifted a hoof.  "WAIT!  It's not that simple!"

There was a distinct >CLICK<, and the tiny mare came zipping around the counter like her hooves were coated with butter.  However, upon further inspection, there appeared to be small, retractable wheels set into her very hooves themselves.  She was gliding along on them as if she were flying directly across the floor... hovering, maybe.  But the smooth flow of her movements lent the idea that this mailmare had skills on these wheels... skills that made her move like oil on water.

And she fluidly swooped up in front of Scarlet, still short enough to warrant the cook having to look down to see eye-to-eye with her.  Eyes that were a mismatched set of lavender and amber; the intellect behind them was almost electric, and seemed to be looking for... something.

"There are a few things I should tell you about... and perhaps warn you of... here in this quarry.  I never really speak to anypony, so that I might keep them from being too inquisitive - but that facilitates my remaining vigilance towards threats to the sanctity of this place.  There's... a few things you could probably stand to know, Miss Orange.  Especially the fact that you're not quite as 'undercover' as you may think."

Taps nodded, her gaze never leaving Scar's.  "In fact, Vylia Blackwater knew who you were the very day you showed up."

Taps looked not as though she were mocking or showing any sort of threat, but more as if she had an honest worry for Scarlet - as if she'd saved her life, then taken responsibility for her.  But she didn't even really KNOW Scarlet, and it wasn't possible that she could-

Wait, WHAT did she say about Madam Blackwater?

• Brohoof 1

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:58 PM, Randimaxis said:

Though she was shaking like a leaf, Echo gave a nervous gulp, then tried her best to settle down.

"... th-th-that was... i-it was LOUD!  Is it a-a-always that loud?"

When Crescent spoke of the other bat ponies, Echo put on a wistful look.

"I... don't know.  There's a l-lot of bad feelings out there t-t-towards Thestrals, and I think a lot of it m-must have come from Nightmare Moon's legacy.  Mostly, Thestrals are associated w-with Princess Luna, and it's been so h-hard for her to get around many ponies' feelings on the matter.  Because of th-that, many of us just aren't made to feel comfortable when we get close to townships or the l-like.  Not everypony's like that, I know... but enough of them seem to be, a-and even though Thestrals have been protectors of Equestria for g-g-generations, we're still viewed through a haze of n-nebulous threat..."

She blushed, realizing she was carrying on a bit.  "... a-anyway, the upshot is that we seem to be counted among the weird stuff in Equestria... s-so it may take a while for them to lighten up s-some."

Looking to the fridge, which was actually a steel locker that Silver had outfitted with a Chill spell, Echo cocked her head slightly to one side when Cress asked what she preferred.

"Well... I l-love sandwiches.  They're complete entrees in a simple bread casing!"  She giggled.  "And I do REALLY enjoy cheese - more than most mice, in fact - and if you're going to use any kind of spice, may I suggest a b-bit of chili powder?  I... I love spicy foods.  But please, no meat - I already have to curb some of m-my instincts, and NOT eating meat actually helps with that."

She kept glancing over at Crescent, as if she were trying to get a good look at him while simultaneously not trying to stare.

As she gave her response about bats cresent nodded listening and thinking her side of things, it was a reasonable argument to how others felt about thestrals "yes, night mothers....ruff time has left a mark on us. I only hope sense she's been back more acceptance for us has been easier....guess not" Cresent said after she got done talking

As she talked about what she liked in food her looked for cheese, got it. The bread was easy to find as he had some in a small cabinet near by when she asked about the spices he looked around for his spices finding them knowing better then to have garlic he still double checked a cruel prank he had to deal with growing up. Not seeing any garlic he relaxed more but.... A thestral avoiding meat was new to him on the other hoof.

He closed the door blinking at her curiously where she could see a good full view of him as he didn't have a door in front of him "you've adapted with everypony else, guess I'm just old fashioned but not a bad thing I just...kinda need it once a day....if you don't mind. " he didn't want to trigger anything based on how she said "instincts"  

Was he the only bat that still ate meat?

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

Blitz seemed healthy and breathing, but no matter what words Silver might speak or what action she'd take, the filly wasn't going to be roused.

In case she still were nervous, perhaps it was best to get hold of Ziggy. It might be that the doctor technically were off the clock at the same time as the miners, but it was a rare sight to see her leave until a few hours after, if at all. Especially on busy days like today.

Speaking of their local Zegasus, she gave out of relief over finally being done with the inventory count. Nothing had been out of order, as per usual, but having to fill this particular one out once every week still had to be done properly, just in case. Never knew if somepony would all of a sudden jump in and ask.

One thing were missing though, and she were going to need to have word with Knee Slappee about that in the morning. Perhaps to him a roll of gauze weren't much, and she would perhaps not get fired if it was misplaced, but this was a matter of principle. She had never lost medical items in her time here - though a few times had been close - and he had promised that he'd bring it back. Either she'd get it in the morning, or she'd have him sign out for it.

But enough of that. It was a nice night and she had more papers to get in order. Better make use of this nice, quiet time of day to get it done. If she could get the thoughts of Beck out of her head that was, and well... She miiiight have a slab of paper with hearts on that proved that was a teensie bit difficult.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Well, this was slowly becoming awkward.  Carnelian could hear the conversation on the side, but Vylia had it handled, there was no need to interject.  She couldn't tell whether or not she was being challenged, or what.  Most peculiar, but she would not be undone.  This one's willpower was intriguing, and she was interested to poke and prod it, test its perimeters, assess its borders, and pick at the tiny threads fraying in the cracks.  To do all that, however, she would have to end this maneuver.

"Am I that fascinating, Mister Luther?" she asked coyly.  She flipped a hoof through her mane, the freely-flowing curls of the trailing end sparkling in the candle light.  "I'm far from offended.  I was quite the curiosity when I first set hoof in Canterlot, more than a few stallions were afraid to touch me for fear that I would shatter."  Carnelian giggled as she took another bite of her meal, chewing it thoroughly before washing it down with a sip of cider.  "I assure you, I am made of much sturdier material."

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

She looked back down to the mare, if she knew this then she knew everything. "If that's true, then Vylia will... should come talk to me instead of cowering in her mansion. I have sent a letter, one you posted in fact. Went to a cousin of mine in the guard. In two days from now, she will be here to arrest Vylia and anypony else she deems fit of corporate espionage. I have until then to either sort out my issues with her or... well she'll have to get accustomed to what the inside of a prison cell looks like, my family. I assume you already know what the last name you stick on mine..."

She sighed. "The Blackwaters stole A LOT of money from the Oranges. I won't see this continue and they would not meet with us. So I'll hurt them Taps, I'll hurt them I'll have their name dragged through the mud in court when they are dragged into a dock to answer for their theft." She bore her teeth with anger. "I won't let some... pompous cow! Steal from my family just because we are farmers I won't have it!" Stamping a hoof on the floor rather loudly.

59f32dbeef3a2_Scarletsbanner2.png.23814ae00eb2cb14669ce5ce294d09eb.png

• Brohoof 2

On 10/20/2017 at 2:35 AM, cwhip9 said:

"You've adapted with everypony else; guess I'm just old fashioned, but not a bad thing.  I just...kinda need it once a day....if you don't mind. "

[gentle yet sad musical intro begins]

It isn't easy being me...

As there's a lot I have to see...

And underneath the hopes and dreams, not ev'rything is what it seems

And all of it falls down to me.

Echo stood up, then wandered her way over to the window, gazing outside as she continued.

It isn't easy being me...

And I'm not all what you see...

I wish that I could take it back, and fill the parts in which I lack

To make sure life doesn't fall apart on me.

She turned back to Crescent, a sad smile on her muzzle.

So happy that I met you, I never will forget you

And in time, you won't forget about me.

I wish that I could tell you, could try to really sell you

And hopefully, you would come to see...

That it isn't easy being me...

She turned and walked over to Cress, almost muzzle to muzzle with him.

And underneath the silent schemes, not ev'rything is what it seems

And all of it falls down to me.

@Blitz Boom

The door to Silver's shed burst open, slamming against the wall of the shed, as she came galloping out, making a direct beeline for the medical shed.

[music changes to a more determined pace]

I swear, I've never dealt before

With something so divine

As polishing the scrimshaw

On such a lovely mind

But seeing how you deal with life

And the energy you keep

Makes me feel as if I've been

Working in my sleep

Cresting the hill, she made her way towards the door.

The brightest little mind

And silliness to spare

Imagine all the plans

That you and I can share

From what I've seen so far

Consider my mind blown

What I truly wouldn't give

To take you as my own...

Finally reaching the shed, she pounded on the door with a hoof, hoping that Ziggy was awake.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:41 PM, Hazard Time said:

"I assure you, I am made of much sturdier material."

[music becomes more regal and serious]

Luther Blackwater didn't blink, didn't budge, yet he most certainly did address Carnelian.  Fixing her with a far more pointed stare, he began.

You wear the air of royalty

But I am not a fool.

It strikes me that you're planning

To use us as a tool.

I know of many others

Who have it in for us.

But separating you from them

Will surely be a must.

Luther's eyes were navy pools of suspicion, yet he still continued almost as if he were bored.

You strike me as an opportunist, looking for a chance

To puppet both my wife and I, to make us do your dance

But allow me to make clear to you, and dash your misconceptions...

He stood up from his seat, and his eyes seemed to almost flash with defiance.

As it stands, you only need to know:

MY quarry.

MY rules.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

As Vylia stared at him, open-mouthed, Luther stood up from the table and simply left.  Dax looked just as shocked as his mother did, and Oglevy seemed to be almost giddy from the embarrassment their guests no doubt felt at his father's words.  His wicked smile grew bright, while Dax hid his muzzle under a hoof.

Vylia turned to Carnelian and gave her a sheepish, apologetic smile.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:00 AM, Mentis Soliloquy said:

"I won't let some... pompous cow! Steal from my family just because we are farmers I won't have it!"

Taps looked at Scarlet with a blank stare for a moment, then gave a hefty sigh as she began to pace.

[music takes a proud turn, now full of stern determination]

You're absolutely certain of the gist of what's at stake

Yet you haven't done your homework, as that is what it'd take

To realize the facts, and see your big mistake

The truth about the facts is that they aren't as you think

Your family's misery abounds - and you seek out the link

As something's smelling rotten, you want to raise a stink

How long ago was this event, and what d'you have in store?

Plan to take the Blackwaters and grind them to the floor?

What if I told you truly, it was the generation before?

Taps shook her head sadly, looking at Scarlet as if she were something to pity.

[music now blends together, making a single song]

It isn't easy being me

And everything I do tonight

Is all for you and me...

Your presence feels expensive

But I shall pay NO fee...

The current Blackwaters aren't to blame

You should let it be.

[music swells, ends on a high note]

Echo smiled sweetly yet sadly at Crescent, then made her way over to where he had indicated she could sleep.  Settling down, she looked over at him.

"When the food's ready, j-just give me a nudge - I just need to shut m-m-my eyes for a moment..."

Within two minutes of her closing them, she was giving out a soft, adorable little snore.

Silver hopped from hoof to hoof, nervous and worried about the filly on her back.  She gave Blitz a gentle pat on her mane, hoping that the pegazebra could help with whatever was ailing the little dynamo.

Please be okay, she thought at her.

"Dearie, please - I swear to you, that was MOST unexpected!  I have no idea WHAT has gotten into him; he's just not LIKE this, usually!  I-I-I SWEAR, pay no attention to him!  Honestly, I do so thoroughly apologize for such a rude and uncouth outburst - not in a million years would I ever think he would..."

Vylia looked thoughtful for only a moment, yet turned a dazzling smile onto her guest.

"Please... might I beg your forgiveness for such an... uncharacteristic... outburst?  Truly, Dearie - keep in mind that he's not exactly the best at being... sociable, let's say.  Yet another thing you and I can work on together, perhaps?"

Taps settled down onto her stool again, and looked Scarlet in the eye.

"There are records here that date back almost all the way to the beginnings of the Equestrian Nation itself.  I'd be MORE than happy to go through those papers and find the incident in question, but I can almost guarantee one thing - I'll bet a hundred bits that the name signing off on the deal isn't Luther's... but more, it'll be the signature of one Erasmus Blackwater... or, as Luther calls him, 'ex-management'."

"If this IS the case - which, from all I've heard, probably is - then there's a chance that you could speak directly to one of the Blackwaters, and possibly have whatever contract renegotiated, or even voided all together!  Would THAT be an avenue you'd be willing to try?"

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

Ziggy jumped with some surprise as her door was given a right pounding by somepony. Sure, her door got knocked on often, and sometimes pretty energetic like this - usually if it was urgent - but it normally didn't happen after the miners had left for the day. Even if some were still on grounds until the early morning shift, the most she tended to get was a few that used the break in the day to get a quick check up.  It was easier for them to do than leave the grounds for a regular doctor, and since she were usually there late, some figured that it was easier to just ask her.

She didn't mind really. Any chance to help she would take, but this didn't sound like one of those times. The knocking was far too insisting for that, though that begged the question, who were it?

Opening the door, she got weirder and weirder ideas about who it might be, ending with thinking it might be Luther Blackwater himself, which would be quite horrid, as he had another doctor far as she would think - since he had never come to her for a check - which would make it an issue.

Instead, it turned out to be Silver. Still a rare sight, as she were either a pretty safe inventor, or took care of most of her own wounds, so she didn't come here a lot Far as she could recall right now anyway. Frankly it was late and she had done paperwork for some time now, so her memory bank wasn't running with full capacity.

"Oh hey Silver, what's going on?"

The zegasus noticed the filly on the mare's back, peacefully slumbering motionless like a turtle's shell.

"Awh, the poor thing couldn't stay awake, huh?"

It was then that she noticed the way that Silver looked, and her smile began to wither away.

This was not the look of a happy mare where everything was okay. This was distress in pony form, which sadly fitted the knock far better than anything peaceful now that she thought about it.

"O-Oh dear, please don't let me hear, that something happened to her out there? Place her on the table, and I'll check if she's stable, while you tell me the plight of your fable."

Nervous rhyming didn't happen as often to her as it once did, but seeing the two of them made her fear the worst, and that worked just as well as nervousness to bring out this side of her.

She hadn't even stopped talking before she moved out of the way and zoomed over to her table, she she scooped the papers to the side. A pity she didn't use staples for this, as she'd have to clean up the order and pick up some that had fallen on the floor later, but that wasn't important compared to helping a filly.

Edited by Blitz Boom
Added color.
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Randimaxis

Just like most others at the table, Low Key was in a state of shock.  Luther, in front of everyone, had just harangued his guardian, and the unicorn was at a loss for what he should do.  Should he challenge him to a duel in Carnelian's honor?  Demand an apology?  Tell him to shut up?  Low was in no place or status to do anything other than gawk and look to the viscountess for guidance.

It was her grin that confused him, that familiar, enigmatic, warm grin.  Was she not insulted?  He had just slandered her in front of the entire Blackwater family!  Shouldn't she be as flabbergasted, if not more so, than all the others in attendance?

"Quite the spitfire, your husband," she commented, taking a long sip from her wine.  "I was curious why he was so quiet, obviously saving his breath for the grand reveille."

The mare dabbed at her cheeks with her napkin before arranging her silverware among what few scraps of food remained on her plate.  Her hooves went to her lap as she reclined back, her eyes focused on Vylia.  Though the edges of her mouth still curled in a grin, her eyes were hard and piercing.

"It's a shame your husband isn't here, since this was something I was hoping we would be able to discuss together.  I can understand that my mannerisms and etiquette are alien to the uninitiated, but Luther Blackwater's disrespect for those above his station is something that will not win your family any favors. However, you and your sons have just as much a voice in what happens at this quarry as he does, Missus Blackwater, so allow me to present you with a proposal.

"In the next few days, I will be hosting a soiree in your manor.  The logistics are still being set up and the invitations have yet to be mailed out, but I have been brainstorming ideas and I am looking forward to it.  You should as well, it will give you and your family an ample opportunity to mingle with and establish contacts among some very important ponies.

"Do I hear any objections?"

Edited by Hazard Time
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 5:34 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"O-Oh dear, please don't let me hear, that something happened to her out there? Place her on the table, and I'll check if she's stable, while you tell me the plight of your fable."

"She just... j-just collapsed!  I swear, there didn't seem to be anything wrong with her!  We'd met, and she looked as though she'd POP, she was so excited!  We were in my shed, and she simply tried to look at everything and everywhere at once - it was like she was possessed!  Well... not so much as possessed, but more like she was a lit fuse about to catch fire on its' own!"

Silver looked worried, and her anxiousness was evident as she paced rapidly, her eyes flicking from the doctor to the filly and back again.

"Please... can you do anything for her?"

On 11/10/2017 at 0:28 AM, Hazard Time said:

"Do I hear any objections?"

Vylia seemed relieved that she wasn't losing her guest over Luther's words (oh, and she'd have plenty of words for HIM later), and she smiled as brightly as she could manage.

"It's an absolutely WON-derful idea!  Lots of opportunities to mingle, carouse and show my family what a REAL gathering should be like!"

Oglevy's eyes seemed to spark, and his wicked little smile grew wider; somepony was going to experience his 'hospitality', there was not a single doubt in his mind of that.

Dax nodded with a plastic smile on his muzzle, yet as soon as he had a chance, he looked to Low Key and passed along a worried, anxious expression.  It was obvious that Dax most certainly knew how to behave... yet he had serious misgivings about the rest of his family.

Vylia put on her most calm & collected expression and turned to her guest.

"Luther... has always been..." she seemed to be trying to find a better word, but when she thought back on how he'd insulted her guest, her own expression fell into a scowl, not unlike her husband, "... a stubborn oaf - he never HAS cared much for the art of Socializing, the big ox!"

Dax's eyes bugged a bit at that, while Oglevy gave a slight giggle.

"Well, if HE thinks I'm simply going to take that attitude of his when there's actually somepony here to be insulted by such!?  HA!"

She snapped her head to one side, her luxurious mane whipping to meet her shoulder as she fixed Carnelian with a determined look.

"You will most certainly have your soiree, Viscountess - and Luther will simply have to DEAL WITH IT."

The look on Dax's face said he was quite afraid that his father most certainly would.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Ziggy didn't waste any time as soon as Blitz were on the table.

First she had to check the vitals. That were heart, breathing, and blood pressure, which all thankfully seemed fine. Then came a temperature reading, ear canal check, and muscle test, to see if perhaps something had strained and her body had shut down to get her to relax. It was rare, but not unheard of, though in this case it wasn't it. She felt completely relaxed and not tensed up anywhere, though she did seem to be on the weaker side physically for a filly her age. Even if she were a unicorn, she should have a little more muscle mass than this, though she suspected that it would be worse if not for the harness and wings she had on, which were metallic and honestly somewhat heavy in it, considering the small one.

They were also a problem. Much as she tried, she couldn't figure out how to get these things off her. The harness seemed simple enough in theory, with it being around her with two sturdy straps of what she hoped were faux leather or weirdly colored rubber, and a metallic contraption on the top, but she wasn't sure how this would go off. There didn't seem to be any clasps or the like, though... Wait a minute.

Following the straps to the metal, she found some gears just under the wings that had some more of the material stuck between them, keeping it locked. After fiddling around a little, Ziggy managed to get it to let go, loosening the straps and allowing her to slide the whole thing off the filly so she could get even more checks in place. Including lifting her eyelids and seeing if she got a reaction from the light, attempting some smelling salts to wake her up, and a few other things that seemed a little pointless, but she had to cover the bases.

In the meantime, if Silver wanted to, she could check the harness and the wings. Pretty much what you would expect, with the wings having a frame of metal that was looking remarkably close to unicorn wings, but of course too heavy, and feathers lining the inside. It seemed to be from different species, and more than likely, it was some she had found on the ground after a pegasi had gone through a small bit of molting. It was better to think of that than the alternative of her literally plucking the small, soft feathers from them at least.

The strange part of them seemed to be the point where the wings met the back through, where small, dull spikes were evened out down a line, that would likely have pressed on the wearers spine somewhat. They seemed to be newer than the rest and welded on with a crude, unprofessional touch, befitting of how a clever filly would go at it, though the meaning weren't completely obvious. Why would you want pressure on your spine like this?

If she looked or not though, it would still take about five minutes after Ziggy had taken off the harness before she came back and actually addressed Silver, rather than ignore everything that did not involve the filly.

"Okay. Let me start of by saying that she is completely healthy. Her breathing is good, nothing's bleeding, etc. etc. but... Well, it's kinda weird.

With what you said happened, there is only three things I can think of it being. I've ruled out the more fatal one as she would have reacted to something if it was just that which periodically knocked her out,a nd with how she zoomed around earlier, I can't see it being Narcolepsy either. She would've fallen flat before this if it was that.

That leaves one, and honestly, it sounds bizarre to me since she's just a filly, but... Exhaustion.

I've read on those who work work and work so much that they forget to sleep or can't, who eventually experience a total shutdown of the system, but those are usually workaholics, severe cases of insomnia, or ponies with little to no energy to begin with. A filly like this shouldn't have this problem unless she haven't slept for days, and have spent a good deal of that time hyped on something. With that, all it would take is one last spike of adrenaline and... Well, this."

Ziggy starred concerned back at the sleeping filly.

"It's the only thing that makes sense, but the implications aren't good. It means that whoever is raising her isn't making sure that she gets her sleep, and might even keep her up constantly for some reason. Though what kind of parent would risk their foals health on that?

She is going to be fine for now. She just needs to sleep this off, and I can see if I can't find something in the recipe book my dad once gave me that can help speeding things up a little. Though, I want to ask you to promise me something here Silver. If anypony comes around and says that they're looking for her, don't tell them where she is. Mr. Blackwater would likely not want her on the grounds, and if its her parents, I don't want to hoof her over before I've had a long, stern talk with them about health and safety. They're doing a horrible job.

And... Well, this is a little awkward, but we have to figure out what to do with her until she wakes up. There's too many hurt ponies around here during the day to keep her hidden with me."

She gazed at Silver with a hopeful look between the worry and confusion about Blitz. There was only one who Ziggy were sure could keep Blitz at a safe and hidden place, and she were looking right at her. Though it was hard to say what Silver would think about it. The Zegasus honestly didn't know the mare well enough to have any idea how she would react to something like that, but hopefully it would be positive. For the filly's sake.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

"I honestly find it weird when ponies start singing it's so bizarre and yet I've done more times than I can count, Equestria is weird." She coughed a little. "That's so unrelated. I don't want the contract voided... that would be the worst possible outcome as I, well my family has already sent shipments here, I've been using my own oranges from one of my cousin's farms." She sighed looking away. "I just want this done, I like cooking heck I might stay on a while and just get some experience under my belt. But I want to have that talk with the Blackwaters and they wronged us not the other way around one of them has to talk to me not the other way around, I don't have cause to believe you yet... even if you did save my life in that flood..." She was clearly upset this issue seemed to be somewhat affecting her. 

(Finally managed a post) 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Randimaxis

Low returned Dax's fake smile, though his was a bit more practiced.  Carnelian certainly did enjoy her parties, so he could at least not expect any train wrecks from her.  However, with the recent family drama that just occurred, he had half a mind to wonder if there wasn't going to be a repeat of the spoon incident.  Carnelian had to have that entire WING remodeled...

"Ponies change, Miss Vylia," Carnelian hoped.  "And I put my faith in you to bring your husband around.  In the mean time, I will require a tour of the exterior grounds, but that can be done tomorrow.  I was thinking an outside affair, since soirees tend to get...messy.  Of course, that is no issue if your staff are fully prepared and properly motivated, but since this will be your first time hosting, I think it would be in everypony's best interests to keep things simple and easy to manage."

Edited by Hazard Time
  • Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

Along the mostly vacant and beaten path leading towards the Blackwater Mining Facility, a blocky shape appears against the very early morning sun at its back. A rather notably large stallion, young and broad of face, pulls a rather equally broad and sturdily built wagon. 

Clearly hoofmade from what wood was around at the time; the cart cannot be argued its inferiority in comparison to what mass-produced items a company would had at its disposal, but nonetheless looks so heavily built that one would not be surprised if the wood was packed in dense enough that it'd burn for several weeks before it became too damaged to be reused. In the back of the wagon lay a few lumpy, nondescript bags, likely goods for the trip judging by quite a few pieces of hay sticking out of them that had been used as probably both bedding and snacks. While not too heavily loaded, with the few bags, heavily crafted wagon, thick woven saddle blanket and heavier saddlebags slung over the stallion's back it becomes rather more remarkable to any passing notice how the stallion doesn't seem at all aware of any strain or what seems to have been several miles or even days of slow, steady walking. 

In fact, judging by the vacant, glazed over expression to his eyes, one could argue that the colt doesn't notice terribly much to begin with. As thick as his expression and slow trodding advancement; the stallion is pretty well muscled himself. Thick legs lead to huge, thick hooves, larger then most stallions his age, a short, thick, brushlike tail behind a thickly colored mud-like coat with a few blotches of white here and there leading away from his belly all topped with with thick, naturally forming braids that form his mane above his thickset eyes of muddy brown as well. 

Generally speaking, Clod Hopper is pretty thick. He thickly clops onward towards his destination of the emerald mines.

• Brohoof 2

On 11/21/2017 at 7:43 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"And... Well, this is a little awkward, but we have to figure out what to do with her until she wakes up. There's too many hurt ponies around here during the day to keep her hidden with me."

Silver didn't hesitate for even a second.  "Sure, sure, sure... I'm more than capable of keeping her safe - after all, I know where all the UNsafe places are at the quarry, so it's just a matter of finding the direct opposite of dangerous here.  That would probably be the manor house, but I'm fairly certain that the Blackwaters wouldn't approve of simply letting a random filly stay in one of their rooms... well, Dax might, but that'd be about it."

She paced a moment, then her muzzle lit up.

"I know!  The statue garden!  It's kindly overgrown and nobody truly pays much attention to it; it'd be perfect... with a little work, of course.  Which I can do, no doubt!  I'll be a cleaning dynamo!  Okay, maybe not so much of a dynamo, but more like a whirlwind of pony-bourne reclamation!"

Again, she glanced over the little thing, sleeping peacefully, and her heart went out to her.  Silver had sort of gathered the impression that the excitable little Blitz had been on her own... and for quite a while.  The scuffed hooves, the random spots of soot in an uncared-for coat, the lack of self-control that was a hallmark of children who had inattentive or absent parents... Doc Zinger's estimation was pretty much all the confirmation she needed to that end.

She turned to the Doc once more.  "We can keep her overnight in my shed, but starting tomorrow, I can get things cleared enough back there to maybe even set up a small shack there for her... oooh, I smell a PROOOO-JEEEECT coming on!"

Her gaze returned to the little genius, and she spoke softly to the doctor.  

"I'll be staying here tonight... um, with her.  Tomorrow, I'd like to discuss what she might need, health-wise, and you can start teaching me what I'll need to know to get this little logic bomb into tip-top shape... i-if that's okay with you, of course?"

On 11/26/2017 at 3:23 AM, Mentis Soliloquy said:

"But I want to have that talk with the Blackwaters and they wronged us not the other way around one of them has to talk to me not the other way around, I don't have cause to believe you yet... even if you did save my life in that flood..."

Taps gave a slight sigh, then shook her head.

"Stubborn... but that trait works better here than you'd think, and it at least proves you're no pushover."

She looked thoughtful, then let out a huge yawn and blinked.  "Believe me, don't believe me... as long as you keep the secret of my REAL profession, I frankly don't have much reason to care what you think... however, at the same time, I can try to see if there's some way to get things settled between you and the Blackwaters.  Not like it's my job, mind you... but far be it for me to just let this go - especially after investing time and effort into saving a life, however ungrateful the save-ee might be."

The little mailmare sighed, then made her way around the counter to reach the door.

"Okay, bottom line - the only safe place for me to actually talk is inside the Pony Express office, so don't go trying to start up a conversation OUTSIDE of here with me... and keep my identity a secret, or we BOTH get our flanks in jeopardy.  Aside from those things, you keep cooking and I'll dig into the paper files; when I find something that helps prove what I'm telling you, then I'll present it.  For now?  I'm exhausted - bedtime for me.  And you..?"

She gave a smirk that was half-pleasant, and half-snark.  "YOU will be responsible for breakfast in the morning - and I can tell you from experience, you DON'T want to be late with breakfast, I promise you.  Regardless, good night."

With that said, Taps opened the door and motioned out with a sweeping bow.  Not a word passed her lips from the moment the door had been opened, but the look in the mailmare's mismatched eyes said everything:

Now, Scarlet had a royal duty, too... to keep Taps' identity to herself.

On 12/8/2017 at 3:44 PM, Hazard Time said:

"I was thinking an outside affair, since soirees tend to get...messy.  Of course, that is no issue if your staff are fully prepared and properly motivated, but since this will be your first time hosting, I think it would be in everypony's best interests to keep things simple and easy to manage."

Vylia's smile was slow, but broadened as she spoke up.

"Actually... I know just the spot, dearie!  There's a statuary on the quarry grounds - it would need a bit of tidying up, but otherwise it would be a splendid place to have a gathering!  Given a day or two, I'm fairly certain it could be brought up to par, and it has the added bonus of being historical to our family as well," she turned to Dax, "isn't that right, Daxter?"

Dax, put on the spot, didn't hesitate one whit.

"It is - one of our ancestors, the Grand Master Sculptor Chisel Black, left a number of her works there, as it was once her workshop before it feel into disrepair.  The shed there is long rusted away, but her statues are all over the place down there.  Her masterpieces are kept there, as they were too big to move, and there's a small creek and a number of grapevines that grow down there.  We coul-"

"SPLEN-did!  As you see, it will be a place steeped in history and filled with art - what more could anypony ask for?  Trust me, dearie - the guests will be so jealous, we may have to offer pea soup so they can hide the tint of green they'll be turning!"

With that, the pegasus stood and stretched her wings languidly.  "Shall I escort you to your room, dearest Viscountess?  There will be MUCH for us tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to your critique on how well the beds sleep!"

Dax leaned in towards Low Key.  "We can meet tomorrow, by the front gates - or here, if our respective caretakers don't let us into the quarry for whatever reason.  But still, g'night - oh, and don't sleep on the big, round cushion in the floor; it's a heated tub cover, and you'll wake up sopping wet."

Dax gave Carnelian a gracious bow, then made his way off.  Oglevy did something similar, but Key could almost swear the little brat was eyeballing him...

Vylia led the two down the grand hallway, to the room they'd be staying in.  Chatting the whole way, of course.

The day had wound down to an end, and (in the interest of moving on) everypone found themselves face-to-face with the powerful presence of that fully-anticipated individual...

THE NEXT DAY!

(dun dun dunnnnnnn!)

On 12/9/2017 at 11:34 PM, Widdershins said:

He thickly clops onward towards his destination of the emerald mines.

From the closest rise in the mountain path, Clod could see the massive front gates of what looked to be a small town, from the size of it...

And, strangely enough, those gates were simply standing wide open.

The portcullis was up, and the gates themselves were open wide enough for a workhorse to get in.  No guards had noticed, no attention being called to it, not even a worker there to tell others to move along... just the massive twin doors, fully ajar and waiting for anyone to enter.

Not that anything would seem out of the ordinary for anyone who wasn't a local resident at the quarry... but for those who had spent time here on the grounds of the Blackwater Mines, they would be well aware that this development was NOT the standard status quo.  Those gates were usually manned and closed...

However, not today, apparently...

• Brohoof 3

@Randimaxis

It was quite a big weight that came off Ziggy shoulders as Silver said that she'd take care of the filly, and even seemed enthusiastic about it.

Sure, she had wanted the mare to do so, but it wasn't easy to know what she would have said to even the suggestion. Having a foal was a big responsibility, and not one that everypony was ready to take on, even if it was n a temp basis.

And yet here Silver were, rambling on an on about what she'd d, where she'd do it, ad all of these preparations... Certainly sounded like there was a candidate if it came down to Blitz needing to be adopted, though that was a legal Tartarus if she'd ever faced one.

Even if the parents were neglectful, it wasn't easy to get stuff like this trough from what she had heard, and she certainly could understand why. You wouldn't want to take a foal from the parents without you knowing for sure that something was wrong, and not just a result of some outside source or accidents. She might have some proof that Blitz didn't get the care she needed at her age, but that might well also be because she were tinkering away at every chance she got, and her parents didn't know anything about it.

She would still put her bits on neglect though. here were more evidence towards that, even though she didn't want to think that something that any parent would do to their foal.

Well, there was another option in the filly not having any caregivers, but that seemed unrealistic. Surely she'd seem more rough in it than she currently did if that was the case. Though... If she weren't on her own, what sort of parents would have just let her go to a dangerous quarry like this? So many questions, so little answers.

At least she could provide some answers from a medical perspective, like Silver had asked her there near the end. A bit of Zebra mojo as well, but that was basically a kind of medicine too in Ziggy's eyes, so that wasn't technically separate.

"Of course you can stay, and then tomorrow, I can tell you loads on how to work her into good shape. Training exercises too, to make sure her body and bones stay in tippeditop condition. I might be able to find something in my book too that can help her get through her current state instead of just waiting til she's full and then start all over with the routine again, but we'll see how she will look in the morning, okay? First, you two need to sleep this off, and if you're gonna stay here... Hold on, lemme just move these."

Ziggy zoomed over and moved some papers around so there should be room for Silver too, and pulled a blanket out from under her table. Since she at times had to rest here because of bad weather or it had drawn out with filling out paperwork, she figured it was best to be prepared, and it certainly came in handy this time around, that was for sure.

It would mean that she just had to do with the floor though, but thankfully it wasn't a cold time of year, and she had big, fluffy wings to drape herself in if it were. She'd be fine. Sore, but fine.

"There, that should make it all comfy for you. I still need to fill out some  paperwork before I get some rest, so just try to ignore me, and I'll be super quiet. We'll speak about how to get the little one sorted in the morning, okay?"

She caught herself in looking between the filly and Silver, before letting out a giggle.

"You know, if I hadn't known it earlier, I could've totally believed she was yours. Brainy head like you, hehe. Oh well, sleep good, okay? I'll shush now."

Ziggy made a mime like she were zipping up her muzzle and then tossing away the key, before returning to her papers. Hopefully she'd be done soon enough so she could get some rest too, and then the next day would follow soon enough after that. Just a little more to go.

• Brohoof 1