Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open [RP] The Blackwater Quarry

Randimaxis

@Randimaxis

On 12/24/2018 at 9:30 AM, Randimaxis said:

"I'll bet we could construct a sturdier harness as well, one that would possibly hold a few hardpoints for - oh, I don't know - platforms for launching fireworks? 

There were more than this being said, but Blitz really weren't listening, and just stood with an open-mouthed smile, starring into the air, as she imagined herself soaring around the sky with rockets under her wings. The possibilities were incredible! Great for weaponizing too. Put some pressure bombs under there, and let it drop down from a safe distance to erraticate an area. Just imagine how great that could be to fight off monsters.

And the pranks! Itching powder spread far, lights to make ponies at night think you were some sorta monster - and to guide your way too - glitterbombs in clutters, etc. etc.

She had been wanting to comment on some things before that, like her never having access to any sort of good, light metal in Ponyville, and that the frame were mostly to test shape and functionality first, but the flying fireworks occupied too much of her mind right now. She didn't even notice that Silver left for a bit, though the return managed to finally wighle in and snap her out if it. Sorta. Blitz still imagined herself flying around and making all sorts of problems, but there were room for more than one crazy thing at a time.

"This is... well, it's something I've been trying to work on for almost a year now - it functions as a magical energy magnifier, making a small amount of energy into a MUCH bigger one, meaning that even a tiny bit of magic could potentially power an entire city block by itself for weeks!  But I haven't really had the chance to apply it to anything here, as... well, I'm still iffy on the thresholds it would be capable of.  But, if we could use your wing harness as a test-run, then I could get a better idea of how efficient it can be in actual practice, as well as test its' capacities and capabilities when pushed beyond the parameters I've already discovered on my own."

"Woah. So you can kinda use a magic gem, put it in here, and then comes lotsa power? Cool!"

Blitz didn't want her own design to be reliant on magic in the long run, as it would essentially make it useless for earth ponies, or pegasi with very damaged wings who need replacements, and how fiar would that be?

But perhaps it could be stored? So like... Get to a station, and have a unicorn fill up the tank with a weeks worth or something? Wouldn't be perfect, but it sure would be a step in the right direction at least, and any process would be great.

"Uh... is that harness removable?  I mean, not like can I have it, but more like can we try it out on my bench before we try it out with you wearing it?"

"Uhuh, totally removable. Just gotta get the strip off and it slides right off."

Blitz went af it right away, and used her magic to loosen the leather belt keeping the contructionfrom wriggling loose. It were wrapped pretty well around her stomach and colored like her fur, so it were hard to distinguish from her coat at a glance. Yet as it slowly got loosened from the gears she had it stuck between, it would get pretty obvious, as it began to wobble around somewhat, and Blitz - with a bit of magic and effort - wriggled out of it, and floated the entire thing up to the table.

It weren't something that had to be worn constantly, but Blitz had just gotten used to having it on all the time because it reminded her of one of her long time goals, as well as making her look cool, at least in her eyes. Made it weird to not have it on though, so she stumbled around a little after floating it off.

"I don't worry about you keeping it Silver. I trust you a whole bunch more than that, and you're really smart, so I wanna show you everything I got, hehe."

No matter her potential for destruction, Blitz had no malice within her whatsoever, and she tended to like everypony until they had shown her something to go against it. It was a naive way to be that had gotten her taken advantage off a few times, but she barely even knew about it when it occurred, and when it did, she didn't let it weigh her down, or sour her views on others. Beyond the ones who had been bad that were, of course, but she'd support anypony who claimed to have changed in a heartbeat. Had surprised Discord the one time she met him, when he said he were reformed and she just went *Okay!* and hugged his tail, but he had taken it well enough from what she could see. She had even heard him laugh over it. Pretty good evening in her mind.

To return to the situation at hoof though, Blitz looked between the harness and Silver, ready to examine and learn from the master of the quarry. This might end up damaging the wings or harness, but it'd be fine. No experiment could be done without something going wrong eventually, and it wasn't like she hadn't more or less destroyed them several times already.

@Randimaxis

Mystic was conflicted, though she still showed only a calm positive nature on her face. While everything in her nature told her to run, her heart held her firm to the floor, she would do whatever was necessary to see Dax again. She took a moment to respond to the request, calmly taking into account what she had been told.

It is very likely that She has both heard and read about me personally, though to what extent is unknown. I cannot believe that Dax has told her my secret, and he would never write of it I am sure, so to that I am certain she cannot know. But she wanted me to know that she has eyes on me. I will just have to appease them.

The kind smile on her face remained as her eyes brightened in response, "Oh! There is little hope that one so lowly as I could ever hope to make an impact. Surely I can do no more than what Mr. Ligh" Her eyes went wide as she stopped suddenly before coughing politely, "Excuse me, Mr." she gave a frustrated sigh, "No, Vice Consul Easle, has already done. It is my hope that my time at this quarry will rather improve my own reputation. To work for one of the most highly esteemed quarries in the eyes of Troy... would certainly be a step up for one so lowly as I. In a matter of speaking, I hope to become part of your family, to understand the inner workings and improve them if I can, expand where possible and, in short, prepare the quarry as it moves into future generations of success."

While she thought it a bit untimely, she drew lightly upon her own inner magics to create an aura of acceptance and positivity, hopefully it would aid in keeping herself in the favor of Lady Vylia.

She looked as though an idea struck her, "Perhaps a demonstration? It was indicated in my paperwork that I am skilled in the ancient zebrican art of divination correct? If it so pleases you, I would gladly show a glimpse of what the future holds for the quarry."

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 12:30 AM, Randimaxis said:

He gave a rapturous sigh, closed his eyes, and leaned right back against the lovely mare next to him.  Slowly, reverently, he brought up a forehoof and wrapped it gingerly around her shoulders, carefully pulling her closer yet not squeezing too hard nor trapping her.  The smile that cut a path across his muzzle was broad and joyful, and he took a chance - leaning toward her, he nuzzled her mane with great care not to muss it up.

Dahlia's vocabulary wasn't enough to describe this moment.  She knew what it felt like, she knew what the two of them were doing, but there was no exact way to put it.  Her mind ran wild as the stallion who had so successfully wooed her gave her exactly what she wanted.  Was this really what love felt like?  Were they really in love?  It was all happening so quickly, surely she was only giving in because she needed this as much as he said he did?

The knocking on the door awoke her from her stupor.  "Hey, do you two lovebirds want me to take the sign down?"

"Y-...Yes!  Do that!" the mare shrieked out to her sister.  How long had they been sitting like this?  She remembered Slapper speaking to her, but his words seemed like a distant memory.  She felt mesmerized by his voice, entranced by his very presence.  How could she let him go?

"O-or...maybe I should get back to this...if you have places to be, that is."  She pulled back to meet his gaze.  A part of her wished that he did, lest the tension in her chest reach a snapping point, but the other half...

"We could meet up later somewhere, if you know a place?"

On 12/24/2018 at 12:30 AM, Randimaxis said:

"THAT, Master Key, would be a stallion by the name of Horace Blackwater - one of the first of the more rotten branches of the Blackwater family tree."

Low visibly recoiled at the passion in Beck's voice as he recounted the crimes of the estranged Blackwater.  Multiple times, the young noblestallion gasped, shocked at the depravity of Horace.  How could a pony ever do those things and not feel remorse?  How could a pony be that short sighted?  More so, how could others follow in his footsteps?

"I am sorry if I dredged up painful memories," he muttered, his eyes shifting.  "Though I am curious, I will not ask about the others you have mentioned.  I wish not to sour our moods."

• Brohoof 1

On 1/4/2019 at 12:08 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Uhuh, totally removable. Just gotta get the strip off and it slides right off."

Silver watched as the harness came off... then gave a tch-tch sound as she looked at Blitz's coat underneath.

"Hang on - let's wipe you up a bit, okay?  After all, if we're going to keep your harness in tip-top shape, you really should try to keep a little more clean."

Her magic levitated over a small rag and, with a quick dip into some water, Silver began to fuss over the little powderkeg's coat; she spot cleaned and gently smoothed rumpled fur down, treating her the way a mother would and giving her a brush-up.  She the set down the rag, levitated over a practical coat brush and gave it to Blitz.

"Here... give yourself a once-over while I get a look at the harness, okay?"

On 1/4/2019 at 12:08 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"I don't worry about you keeping it Silver. I trust you a whole bunch more than that, and you're really smart, so I wanna show you everything I got, hehe."

The quarry's handimare began inspecting the entire contraption up close, a small brush lifted with her magic hovering over her head and occasionally sweeping lightly at different joints and connections, giving her a better look at some of the sootier portions of it.

"This... this is amazing, Blitz!  I mean, I've seen a few attempts at building functional wings before, but these are quite capable - though, honestly, they could be improved upon with some lighter materials, and maybe a bit of streamlining - so to speak, of course.  The magical hydraulics, though... I mean, WOW!  This sort of hoofdiwork is astounding..."

She stepped back and looked directly at Blitz.

"When it comes to this harness and its' potential... Blitz, you're golden!  Well, okay, maybe not so much as made of gold, but more like you have an amazing capacity for invention... and it shows!"

She then made her way over to her worktable, and she began to look through her boxes of parts.  "I think I may have to make a part to install the magic conduit, but otherwise I'm fairly certain this might work!  It'll just take a moment or two, so hold on for a bit... but, uh, you could tell me a bit more about that... crater... you were talking about, if you like?  This may take juuuuuuuust a moment, but I'd be happy to listen if you're happy to talk about it?"

She hoped so - the more Silver Studs learned about this fascinating little ball of boom, the more she liked her.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:57 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Oh! There is little hope that one so lowly as I could ever hope to make an impact. Surely I can do no more than what Mr. Ligh-... excuse me, Mr. - No, Vice Consul Easle, has already done. It is my hope that my time at this quarry will rather improve my own reputation. To work for one of the most highly esteemed quarries in the eyes of Troy... would certainly be a step up for one so lowly as I. In a matter of speaking, I hope to become part of your family, to understand the inner workings and improve them if I can, expand where possible and, in short, prepare the quarry as it moves into future generations of success."

Vylia's expression seemed amused, but her voice was soft and serious when she replied.

"Dearie... NO ONE will ever match what Illiad Easle has done for this place, and THAT is a truth you may take to the bank."

She then sighed, but maintained her grin.  "However, I do believe you are laying the flattery on a tad thick, my dear - though I very much appreciate the attention, I also have a few thoughts on those who speak ill of themselves.  My request is that, as long as you work for me, you shall dispense with the self-effacing attempts - if you have skill, speak boldly of it.  There's hardly any shame in bragging about what you're good at, as long as you're able to back it up when called on to do so."

"Besides," she smirked, "you're MY assistant now - that means you have much to be proud of, dearie."

This said, she smiled broadly again and looked Mystic over once more... though now, she was gauging her more honestly.  Strangely enough, she felt quite pleased with the presence of this zebra - she had this air of positivity that certainly showed, and it helped the Blackwater matron to accept the idea of this newcomer.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:57 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Perhaps a demonstration? It was indicated in my paperwork that I am skilled in the ancient zebrican art of divination correct? If it so pleases you, I would gladly show a glimpse of what the future holds for the quarry."

Vylia sat forward with interest.

"Truly?  Well, I must certainly say that it would be a treat to witness such an ethnic rarity for myself!  By all means, please do - show me what sort of potential you may have in THAT capacity... while my butler brings us the other test of your abilities."

She gave a cryptic smile at this... yet she watched with interest, waiting to see exactly what the zebra was speaking of.

22 hours ago, Hazard Time said:

"Hey, do you two lovebirds want me to take the sign down?"

Slapper jumped as if he'd been bitten - he had completely forgotten about the sister.

"Y-...Yes!  Do that!  O-or...maybe I should get back to this...if you have places to be, that is." 

"... madam, the rest of the world can go directly to Tartarus, should it stand between us... yet... yet..."

He sighed.  "Of course.  I can hardly ask for MORE of your precious time, as I've only just met you - though I promise you, my soul is begging for just another second..."

No.  Space between you two.  Time.  Figure out what you ARE doing, and if exposing yourself - and her - can even be feasible.  If you're going to DO this very, VERY unsafe thing, at least think it through!

His thoughts were trying their best to be reasonable... but far be it for the heart to have anything other than HER it its' view.

"We could meet up later somewhere, if you know a place?"

Slapper gave a slight smile.  

"Yes... yes, of course.  By the manor house, there is a garage - nopony frequents it, and it would be solitary and quiet enough to give us... privacy."

He envisioned himself and the lovely mare, holding each other tightly and speaking sweet whispers back and forth as they snuggled closer and closer.  The garage tended to stay unoccupied for long periods of time - Slapper, at least, had never noticed anypony inside - and it would be a perfect place for a rendezvous with this amazing... incredible... beautiful...

His blush crept further down his barrel, yet he still lifted a hoof to touch her pretty muzzle.

"Tonight.  When the moon is high.  I await you there already.  Fare thee well, lovely Dahlia."

With this, he dared to take up her dainty hoof and press a single kiss to it, hoping he wasn't being too forward - of course, the entire moment here had seemed a bit forward, but... well, the heart wants what it wants, and apparently she felt the same way too.  Before she could react otherwise, Slapper slipped outside; if he had lingered any longer, he might not have stopped at merely kissing her hoof. 

He looked as lovestruck as he felt, and gave little care to anything or anyone around him as he drifted off toward the mine proper, nearly tripping over his own hooves even as his mind was frantically trying to get him to reason what sort of danger this could bring.

Redd Handid watched as Knee almost seemed to wobble/waltz by him as he made his way to the spectacle of the Fortune Tellers.

"Well... we shall see what sort of nonsense THIS is about, shall we?"

He stopped outside and, with a sneer on his muzzle, he spoke to Ophelia.  "I assume THIS is what has many of the other workers talking, yes?  Five bits to flatter or frighten the workers here, and then to simply take off before any unsatisfied customers come calling back?  Really, now... does Mister Blackwater know of this solicitation on his property?"

Redd was a handsome red unicorn stallion, with a thick, full mane and tail... yet the sour look he wore spoiled the image considerably.

23 hours ago, Hazard Time said:

"I am sorry if I dredged up painful memories.  Though I am curious, I will not ask about the others you have mentioned.  I wish not to sour our moods."

Beck gave a boggled look for a moment before he let out a small chuckle.  "Master Key, I assure you - I am not THAT long in the tooth!  Most of the history of this family was taught to my brother and I by Daxter himself, as he..."

He cleared his throat a bit.  "As he spent much of his time here at the manor... without much of an audience for what he had learned."

He looked as though he were trying to appraise the young noble, then he nodded slightly to himself.

"Your curiosity far exceeds my comfort, Master Key - and to speak of these things is merely distasteful, yet not truly a damper on my own mood.  In fact, I gauge it would be far better for you to be more aware of what Blackwater history you can gather, so that you are more aware of what has come before.  Those who do not learn of the past are yet doomed to repeat its' offenses... and such things, I would heartily endeavor NOT to see replicated within my lifetime."

He continued walking.

"Harland Blackwater - he found the company of his other siblings to be... bothersome... at best, and had each one driven out of the Blackwater manor, until he alone remained.  He then attempted to stymie the flow of Blackwater emeralds into Equestria, in an ill-fated attempt to drive up their worth, as to ensure a greater profit.  Ultimately, his erstwhile brothers and sisters returned to the manor en masse... and unceremoniously tossed him out on his flank.  From there, he found himself exiled for his shady practices, and left Equestria for good... to this day, his fate lies unknown.  THAT is him, Master Key - in all his 'glory'."

The portrait he pointed to depicted a ruddy red unicorn with a coat that almost looked as though it were rusty; even his brightly colored red-and-green mane and soft blue eyes couldn't detract from the narrow-eyed, seething look that he wore.  He appeared to be just as conniving and mean-spirited as Beck's story spoke of.

"Germaine Blackwater - a scoundrel and a shyster, he managed to alienate much of Equestria due to his 'miracle tonic' that he peddled across the nation.  A tonic, it would be true to say, that was mere sugar water at best... and when ingredients were scarce, disgusting at worst.  Though none of his tonics were as unsafe as Horace's alcohol, they caused nausea and tremors, and he spread them much farther, making far more profit on the gullibility of others than the lethal rotgut ever did.  However, when it was discovered that he was ALSO smuggling illicit dark magics in his caravans, he was promptly imprisoned."

Motioning to another portrait, this one depicted another unicorn, one that was an almost sickly green color, with a mane as black as night and eyes of a shifty amber hue.  He looked as if the stallion himself was possibly poisonous, and the crooked smirk on his muzzle only added to the image.  In comparison, Dax's own sheepish grin was MUCH nicer than that one... yet the two were eerily similar; two sides of a coin, almost.

He closed his eyes and sighed.  "Then there was Erasmus Blackwater, Germaine's only colt."

Pointing again, Key was directed to a portrait showing a dour-faced and haughty Earth Pony stallion, who had a soft blue, almost silvery coat, bespectacled and hard as rock.  The ice blue eyes and stern expression was very similar to the one worn by Luther Blackwater, but there was a cruelty there that wasn't present in the Blackwater patriarch's gaze when Key endured it earlier.

"Or, as Master Luther refers to him... ex-management."  Beck gave a small shiver as he looked to the painting.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

2 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

She then sighed, but maintained her grin.  "However, I do believe you are laying the flattery on a tad thick, my dear - though I very much appreciate the attention, I also have a few thoughts on those who speak ill of themselves.  My request is that, as long as you work for me, you shall dispense with the self-effacing attempts - if you have skill, speak boldly of it.  There's hardly any shame in bragging about what you're good at, as long as you're able to back it up when called on to do so."

"Besides," she smirked, "you're MY assistant now - that means you have much to be proud of, dearie."

Mystic looked slightly chagrined by the correction, but bore it with a slight smile, seemingly with a bit of relief, "Duly noted, any way I can improve myself I adore."

2 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

She gave a cryptic smile at this... yet she watched with interest, waiting to see exactly what the zebra was speaking of.

Mystic motioned for Vylia to take a seat at the table she had previously occupied as she retrieved the blindfold she had just used to sketch Madam Blackwater, which she decided to also bring out as an example, "While it is the same magic that Zebrican Far-Seers use, I was trained in a different style, commonly known in Troy as the DelPhi'c art, which uses pictures to display the future, views rather than words." (And as a disclaimer I am no artist so I will not be drawing anything I apologize to disappoint.) She held up what she had drawn of Madam Blackwater, "I would say I caught you rather well, but easily be explained by any number of methods, including a lucky guess." She set the paper down as she retrieved a new one along with a sketching implement, placing them squarely before her as she fastened the blindfold over her eyes.

She took a calming breath as she began, the glow of her eye shining through the blindfold as she began to draw a scene. It seemed to be a well decorated party hosted in a garden, and while most of the ponies featured in the image lacked detail, a few of them were made recognizable to Vylia as rather important individuals, members of her own family as well as certain Canterlot nobles, and at least one she wouldn't recognize. Above all was the unmistakable figure of the Vice Consul himself.

Mystic set the tool down with a soft sigh as she removed the blindfold, though her eyes remained closed as she gestured to the image, "It seems the quarry has something rather interesting in its future."

There was no way Mystic could have known about the party Vylia and Carnelian had been planning, much less the idea to hold it in the gardens (I really hope I remembered that detail right.) Further it seemed that the very Illiad Easle she had just praised would be there as well,

If the image were to be believed at all that was.

(Given I don't personally know who you have in mind to be there, and Mystic wouldn't know them either, I can't mention them by name, but you can feel free to add descriptions as a hint or misdirection to the rest of us as to who you have planned. Nonetheless, the picture shows them, but will only be confirmed once the party happens.)

@Randimaxis

On 1/20/2019 at 3:58 AM, Randimaxis said:

"Hang on - let's wipe you up a bit, okay?  After all, if we're going to keep your harness in tip-top shape, you really should try to keep a little more clean."

Her magic levitated over a small rag and, with a quick dip into some water, Silver began to fuss over the little powderkeg's coat; she spot cleaned and gently smoothed rumpled fur down, treating her the way a mother would and giving her a brush-up.  She the set down the rag, levitated over a practical coat brush and gave it to Blitz.

"Here... give yourself a once-over while I get a look at the harness, okay?"

Blitz giggled at times when when cloth ran over her and cleaned up a bit of her coat. It wouldn't be able to do anything about the large spots that smelled of gun powder, but she were pretty sure those had like, infected her pores or something. She had tried loads of things to get rid of it at least, and not even when all the hairs in her coat fell out that one time did anything help. It just grew out weird again, while it had gotten kinda chilly. She'd be fine though. Probably. Long as she didn't get herself set on fire. She'd likely be extra flammable compared to a normal filly.

Getting cleaned up like this were actually one of the more normal things she had done in recent times, far as she knew at least. Back when she had still been welcome at school, some of the other students had talked about how their mothers did something like this, and sounded like it was all kinds of embarrassing, but Blitz had never really understood why. Having tried it now weren't helping that either, as it were pretty neat actually, even if she had to sit still more than she usually did without tinkering with something.

The inactivity would end when she were handed the brush and told to freshen up herself a little too, which she started right away. She didn't brush her coat all that often, but her tail were massive, and prone to getting stuck in bushes, so she had to brush that constantly or it'd look like she collected twigs and leaves. There weren't anything stuck right now, so she figured her coat were the culprit that Silver wanted her to go for, and got to work, whilst looking at the mare going over the wings.

Blitz could feel her chest tingling with excitement over how Silver would view this. They were far from done, but Blitz still considered it some of her best work (in progress), and Silver were a genius by all accounts. Who were better to judge her things than the smartest mare around? Nopony, that's who.

"This... this is amazing, Blitz!  I mean, I've seen a few attempts at building functional wings before, but these are quite capable - though, honestly, they could be improved upon with some lighter materials, and maybe a bit of streamlining - so to speak, of course.  The magical hydraulics, though... I mean, WOW!  This sort of hoofdiwork is astounding..."

She stepped back and looked directly at Blitz.

"When it comes to this harness and its' potential... Blitz, you're golden!  Well, okay, maybe not so much as made of gold, but more like you have an amazing capacity for invention... and it shows!"

"Yey!"

She could've gone on about how it were sometimes difficult since most of the work were done when the tip of her horn were broken, and the materials at hoof. Perhaps even how often she had stalked pegasi to see how they flew around, which were less creepy than it sounded, but hearing how Silver praised the work didn't leave room for rational responses, just pure joy, as the brush fell down and Blitz threw herself around Silver's back leg, hugging it tightly. She liked hugging legs more than necks, though she weren't technically sure why. She just figured it had something to do with most ponies talking with her being taller, so the legs were easier to grab, though that made it strange how she had done it from the first moment she could remember.

Silver should be able to shake the filly before getting to the workbench, or just drag her along. Without the harness and wings, Blitz were pretty light weight.

"I think I may have to make a part to install the magic conduit, but otherwise I'm fairly certain this might work!  It'll just take a moment or two, so hold on for a bit... but, uh, you could tell me a bit more about that... crater... you were talking about, if you like?  This may take juuuuuuuust a moment, but I'd be happy to listen if you're happy to talk about it?"

"Uhuh, I can tell you about the crater. It's biiiig, goes like, a meter and a half down, and there was lots of strange metal and scraps there when I woke up in the middle. That's my first memory of anything. Then I gathered the stuff, and banged it together with some stones to make my workshop! The first ponies that found me out there got reeeeally confused and took me to Ponyville, where the doctor checked my head. Said something about amnesia or something since I can't remember anything, but I didn't really listen. He had this fun little watch, and I really wanted to go out and make one too.

But then they got boring and sent me to the orphanage in Canterlot. I liked the foals there, they were fun, but the head mistress was all kinds of grumpy. All *go to bed with the rest* and *don't explode stuff*. They said I could go after I leveled their porch, but I sometimes go back to show pretty fireworks to my friends. They like that, though there's not many left of them. Some nice ponies have adopted lots of them recently.

Uhm what then... Oh! I got back to Ponyville, and then they said I had to go to school, but they didn't want me there either. They said it wasn't nice chasing bullies around with bombs, but meh to them. it wasn't even a working one or anything. It was just a fun prop to show the others.

Guess they also didn't like me blowing up the toilets, hehe. The principal got a really funny face after she saw that.

I guess tha- Oh! I just had to talk stuff about the hole, right? Well, it glows at night, but that's because of some fun powder I put in there. Couldn't use it in fireworks sadly. All kinds of toxic, and I don't wanna make ponies feel sick. That's the sorta thing crazy ponies do, and I'm not crazy!"

Blitz pouted a little as she said that last part, though it lasted only about a second. There was just too much to be excited about to make it possible for her to stay glum.

"I think that's all I know about the hole. Wanna know other things? Oh! And how's it going with putting the fun thing to the wings? Is it working? Melting perhaps? Melting can be fun."

Regardless of whatever she had been clutching on up to this point or if she had been dragged off Silver's leg, Blitz would get up and to the side of the mare at this point, and bounce up and down, trying to get a good look at what she were doing, and whatever or not it were currently burning or melting. That sorta thing happened to everypony, right?

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 6:58 PM, Randimaxis said:

"I assume THIS is what has many of the other workers talking, yes?  Five bits to flatter or frighten the workers here, and then to simply take off before any unsatisfied customers come calling back?  Really, now... does Mister Blackwater know of this solicitation on his property?"

This wasn't the first time Ophelia had dealt with hecklers, and it wouldn't be the last.  Where her sister would have balked, she gave a courteous grin.  If she needed to, she had a secret weapon up her sleeve, or should she say, under her bangs.

"Welcome, mister!  I'm afraid you have us very wrong.  It's unfortunate that there are imitators out there who take advantage of the common pony's lack of knowledge on the subject of occult mysteries, but I have personally revealed no fewer than five.  I guarantee to you that my sister and I are legitimate, and we do our best to insure that our customers receive quality readings with no corner-cutting at all!  If you don't happen to be interested, then that is something I can understand, but do keep in mind that there are many ponies who are, and they are free to decide how they should spend their money.  If we are not wanted, then we shall leave...as soon as our wagon is repaired, of course."  The beaming smile on her face said it all.  He wouldn't just toss two pretty mares right out into the dangerous wilderness, would he?

----------------------------------------------------

On 1/19/2019 at 6:58 PM, Randimaxis said:

"Your curiosity far exceeds my comfort, Master Key - and to speak of these things is merely distasteful, yet not truly a damper on my own mood.

The noblestallion gulped as Beck went into great detail on each of the estranged Blackwater ancestors.  His own family kept records of their geneology, mainly for political reasons, but he had never had a relative who was quite as bad as any of these.  Then again, it did help his family was relatively young, having been made nobles only about 175 years ago.

"Ex-management...does that mean...Erasmus was Luther's father?"

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 12:37 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"While it is the same magic that Zebrican Far-Seers use, I was trained in a different style, commonly known in Troy as the DelPhi'c art, which uses pictures to display the future, views rather than words."

Vylia nodded appreciatively - to her, culture was always interesting.

She held up what she had drawn of Madam Blackwater, "I would say I caught you rather well, but easily be explained by any number of methods, including a lucky guess."

Vylia raised a forehoof and placed it on her chest, a soft sigh escaping her as she viewed the work.

"MY, how very fascinating - never having laid eyes upon me before, you have certainly portrayed my looks quite well... dearie, it's absolutely uncanny!  And you've captured my best side, too!"

"It seems the quarry has something rather interesting in its future."

Vylia may have been aloof and charming when Mystic began, but as the drawing progressed, her muzzle began to shift from haughty (which Vylia Blackwater was rather good at portraying) to slow surprise (which looked out-of-place for her) to wide-eyed shock (which looked almost comical on her).

By the time Mystic was finished and removed her blindfold, she was greeted by the sight of Vylia Blackwater, staring at the drawing fixatedly while fat tears rolled down her cheeks.  She didn't look sad - but, without hitches or sobs, she was most certainly crying.  However, when she glanced up at the zebra, Vylia gave a too-sharp bark of a laugh and covered her mouth with a dainty hoof.

"OH!  Oh, dearie, I just - it's absolutely UNCANNY, your amazing ability!  Yes, yes there IS something big coming to the quarry, and it seems as if you've managed to predict... a number of things..." she let a small smile slip loose briefly, "... which, of course, proves your talent's worth.  And I must say that I am QUITE impressed with your skill; you could potentially make quite a living off this single ability alone, I'm certain!"

Still, even as she seemed to calm herself and wiped her muzzle clean with a silk hankerchief, her eyes kept wandering back to Mystic's drawing, again and again.  Whatever it was that she was seeing certainly had her attention, and she was hard-pressed to leave it aside.  However, she was making a valiant attempt to call as much attention away from her surprising reaction as possible.

At this point, the butler sent off earlier by Vylia, returned with a large ledger book on his back - it was a thousand pages if it was one, and it was emblazoned with an interesting symbol; what appeared to be multiple images on top of each other, expertly blended to make a single image - a pickaxe and quill, a rock and a gem, and two strings of what looked like beads... the latter image actually being what appeared to be Vylia's own cutie mark.

The butler brought the book to them, and carefully slid it onto the coffee table with a solid thump.  Vylia, shifting outward emotions, broke into a big grin.

"So, now that we have established that you have talents that applaud your heritage... shall we dig into your mind, and see what skills you possess with numbers, dearie?" 

Vylia, after glancing at the drawing yet again, set a single hoof atop the hefty tome.

"This is the current five-year ledger for the quarry proper; I have been the sole accountant at this place for far longer, but those books have already been filed away in our archives - this one is current and up-to-date.  However..." the wicked grin returned, "I have taken the liberty of changing FIVE things - and ONLY five things - that make the entire rest of the book inaccurate.  I changed them myself, and I know where I made those changes so that I can correct them once they are discovered..."

That smile grew wider.  "... which, of course, will be YOUR job to hunt down, dearie.  I have faith that you CAN do it, mind you - but this is a test of your dedication as well as your skill.  Mind you, I'm not going to insist you locate them right now... but you will have until the end of the week to find all the discrepancies in here, note them, and present me with a list of them.  I expect you'll be done early, of course, but I suppose we shall see."

Her composure regained, she let her eyes drift back over to the artwork again.  "Uncanny.  May I keep these, dearie?  I would truly wish to have them, as more culture is always appreciated in my presence."

On 1/24/2019 at 12:23 PM, Blitz Boom said:

...hearing how Silver praised the work didn't leave room for rational responses, just pure joy, as the brush fell down and Blitz threw herself around Silver's back leg, hugging it tightly.

Silver's muzzle lit up with a broad smile, and she reached down and pulled Blitz from her leg - to give the filly a proper hug.  Silver had enjoyed the presence of children before, but there was something about Blitz that Silver couldn't put a hoof on... but it was magical and wonderful, and the handimare hoped that the little powderkeg would stick around the quarry - hopefully for good.

"Uhuh, I can tell you about the crater. It's biiiig, goes like, a meter and a half down, and there was lots of strange metal and scraps there when I woke up in the middle. That's my first memory of anything. Then I gathered the stuff, and banged it together with some stones to make my workshop! The first ponies that found me out there got reeeeally confused and took me to Ponyville, where the doctor checked my head. Said something about amnesia or something since I can't remember anything, but I didn't really listen. He had this fun little watch, and I really wanted to go out and make one too.

"Woke up in the middle of a crater?  Blitz, that sounds as if you crashed - I mean, with your skill, it probably wouldn't be difficult to surmise that it was something either you or someone you knew built.  If you had crashed, then it's quite possible that amnesia is what you've suffered, yes.  And you fashioned those pieces into your workshop?  Would it be wrong of me to ask if I could possibly see that workshop someday?"

But then they got boring and sent me to the orphanage in Canterlot. I liked the foals there, they were fun, but the head mistress was all kinds of grumpy. All *go to bed with the rest* and *don't explode stuff*. They said I could go after I leveled their porch, but I sometimes go back to show pretty fireworks to my friends. They like that, though there's not many left of them. Some nice ponies have adopted lots of them recently.

Silver grinned.  "Blitz, don't feel so bad towards the headmistress - keep in mind, she was there to make sure all you little ones were taken care of; you do need sleep, and I can understand how they'd be... hesitant... to allow you to show off your fireworks.  Remember, Blitz - some ponies don't trust explosives, no matter WHO uses them.  To many ponies, even if Princess Luna herself was holding fireworks, they would still be nervous - even if those fireworks never got lit in the first place."

"But I'm glad to hear the other children liked your displays - of course, who wouldn't!  I mean, even Mr. Blackwater himself seemed to appreciate it!"

Uhm what then... Oh! I got back to Ponyville, and then they said I had to go to school, but they didn't want me there either. They said it wasn't nice chasing bullies around with bombs, but meh to them. it wasn't even a working one or anything. It was just a fun prop to show the others.

Silver sighed, then turned to face Blitz.

"Blitzy... that's hardly appropriate.  Granted," she grinned, "I'm sure those bullies had it coming, and to do so with a certified dud is hilarious... but violent threats aren't the best way to handle that situation.  Even if you don't mean it.  I mean, consider the possibility that any one of the other children could see you doing that, and not understand it properly.  So, the next time somepony merely speaks harshly to them, they may end up believing it's okay to threaten that individual with explosives... because they'd seen YOU do something similar."

She looked at the little dynamo, smiling softly.  

"The example you set for others is important, Blitz - and I think you'd rather be the one they look up to as a genius... not as someone who chases bullies with fireworks."

She gave an impish little smile.  "Still... I'll bet those bullies kept to themselves after that, huh?"

Guess they also didn't like me blowing up the toilets, hehe. The principal got a really funny face after she saw that.

Silver's face grew shocked.

"BLITZ!  No no no, you don't DO that!  Do you have any idea how much damage that a busted sewage line can do?"

Silver stopped herself, gave a sigh, counted to ten, then started again with far more self-control.

"Blitz, I work as the handimare here, and one of those particular areas is the plumbing.  The pipes can be extremely complicated, with specialized valves and such, and when one ruptures, it's not just more work to do... it also means that somewhere, there's a build-up of some rather nasty stuff... or worse, it's gotten loose from the pipes, and is all over the floor somewhere.  And chances are, somepony will have to clean that up - all of it."

"I'm fairly certain that, even if you traveled the length and breadth of Equestria... you'd be REALLY hard pressed to find anyone who would actually enjoy cleaning up an entire school's worth of pony poop."  She looked at Blitz with kind eyes.  "And besides, you have a REPUTATION to uphold, you know?"

She stood back from the workbench, motioning to her workshop.

"Science is something that should be lauded and applauded at very opportunity!  Celebrating scientific achievements should be paramount to each and every intelligent creature out there, as we owe so very much to the art of invention, the flow of creation, the eager building of research, the amazing wonder of technology!"

Stopping herself before any musical cues could begin, she blushed and returned to her work bench.  "I mean, um... in the future, use science for more CONstruction, instead of DEstruction, okay?"

I guess tha- Oh! I just had to talk stuff about the hole, right? Well, it glows at night, but that's because of some fun powder I put in there. Couldn't use it in fireworks sadly. All kinds of toxic, and I don't wanna make ponies feel sick. That's the sorta thing crazy ponies do, and I'm not crazy!"

"No," Silver said emphatically, "you're NOT crazy - mischievous, maybe, but not crazy."

She then paused, the other thing Blitz said finally sinking in.  "Wait... toxic powder?  At the crater?  Good for you, staying clear of it, but... maybe, once we get to know each other more, you might be willing to let me see that crater for myself, maybe gather some of that powder - safely, of course - and try to perhaps help you figure out your past.  If, that is, you both wouldn't mind and even want to know your past."

"I think that's all I know about the hole. Wanna know other things? Oh! And how's it going with putting the fun thing to the wings? Is it working? Melting perhaps? Melting can be fun."

Silver had been working with the wings for a few minutes; she'd been adding wires and connectors, wiping down areas that needed it, and trying to streamline her own additions, which were beginning to look like a small shrubbery of copper was trying to grow from the top of Blitz's wing harness.  With a bit more tinkering, she finally stepped back and looked over the results.

"Okay - I think we're almost ready for a test!"

The mass of wires had been secured to the harness with zip-ties, and the only thing left to add was the metal tube with the gems in it.  Silver moved cautiously towards it, the tube gripped with her magic, and floated it over to begin s-l-o-w-l-y slide it into place.

"Eeeeeeeeasy... eeeeeeeeeeeasy... eeeeeeeeeeeeasy..."

The tube slipped into the connectors meant to hold it, and it clicked into place.  Silver stepped back and looked at it, as if waiting for something to happen... but when nothing did, she gave a chuckle.

"I guess it'd be easier to figure out if it worked if I... y'know... gave it a spark.  Step back, Blitz - here goes."

She leaned forward and let a tendril of magical energy arc from her horn, connecting with the topmost gem in the tube and causing it to light up with a soft amber glow.  However, when Silver stopped her magic, nothing seemed to happen.

"... well," Silver said after a moment's wait, "I suppose it needs a bit more tweaki-"

The tube suddenly lit up like a lightbulb, and the entire contraption began to flap erratically and energetically, bouncing around the table and shoving things over the side and onto the floor, as well as making a heck of a racket!  Silver's eves went wide, and she panicked as she attempted to catch her falling components.

"ACK!  It's ALIVE!" She laughed, both panic and excitement obvious in her voice as she kept attempting to rein in the current flopping contraption on her workbench.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:28 AM, Hazard Time said:

"Welcome, mister!  I'm afraid you have us very wrong.  It's unfortunate that there are imitators out there who take advantage of the common pony's lack of knowledge on the subject of occult mysteries, but I have personally revealed no fewer than five.  I guarantee to you that my sister and I are legitimate, and we do our best to insure that our customers receive quality readings with no corner-cutting at all!  If you don't happen to be interested, then that is something I can understand, but do keep in mind that there are many ponies who are, and they are free to decide how they should spend their money.  If we are not wanted, then we shall leave...as soon as our wagon is repaired, of course." 

"Oh, but you misunderstand me..."

Redd smiled wickedly as he stepped forward a bit more.

"I would be VERY interested in getting one of your so-called 'readings' myself," the way he said the word 'readings' was very akin to the way a high-class doctor might say the word 'parasites', "as I would wish to see FIRSTHOOF exactly the extent of your dubious 'talent'... unless, of course, you feel as though I wouldn't be 'readable enough' for your 'skills' to ascertain anything about.  Which, I feel, would be proof positive that this is a sham, YOU are a sham, and that you both should be ejected from here the very second your little wagon is fixed."

Redd stepped even closer, a cruel grin on his muzzle.  "Well..?  Are you going to 'read' me... or do you have some convenient excuse as to why you cannot?"

On 2/9/2019 at 12:28 AM, Hazard Time said:

"Ex-management...does that mean...Erasmus was Luther's father?"

Beck sighed deeply.  "That is correct, Master Key."

He began walking again as he spoke, though his pace was as slow as his voice was thick with sadness.

"Erasmus Blackwater was a formidable stallion - savvy and shrewd, he was even more no-nonsense than Master Luther is now.  He was also notorious for using every and anything he could get his hooves on to fund his treasure hunting habits.  This... included the coffers of the quarry itself, on occasion.  And those occasions tended to crop up more and more as time passed.  Eventually, he began to embezzle from the quarry on such a large scale that it was affecting the workers' pay - but he kept it quiet, and nopony knew any better, save himself."

"Master Luther, in his youth, was close to the other workers, so he did some research into what was causing the loss, and discovered his father's discrepancies.  At a complete loss as to why, the young stallion spoke to his father about it; he had no clue as to the extent Erasmus would go to to continue his hobby, and his father managed to convince Master Luther that it was a mistake, and that he would make certain the problem was fixed."

Beck shook his head.  "He fixed it, alright."

Turning back to face Key, Beck's muzzle had a look of utter sorrow on it.  "Erasmus Blackwater told his workers that Master Luther had been the one embezzling from the quarry's coffers, and he did nothing when the workers ganged up and beat Master Luther within less than an inch of his life.  Worse?  Erasmus never apologized, nor did he even seem to care - he departed on another treasure hunt the very next day."

Beck's expression tightened and cooled as his muzzle went hard.

"Of course, Master Luther fought in court for an entire year to prove what his father had embezzled, and earned his cutie mark when the courts found Erasmus guilty.  From the point Master Luther was beaten, he has been as you have seen him - dour, cold and stern.  But from what I've been privy to learn, he was almost exactly like Master Dax before the incident.  A shame, to be sure, but Master Luther is one of the toughest stallions I've ever seen in my life."

He turned back to face forward.  "Of all the worst of the Blackwater family... Erasmus is the only one still alive today.  He sits in a cell, where he gets no visitors, no freedom, and no chance to hurt anypony else with his callous and greedy mind.  My only fear is that he may escape someday, return and try to take the quarry back... but that fear is a bit far-fetched, seeing as Erasmus would be in his 60s by now, should my calculations not be in error."

@Randimaxis

Mystic looked concerned at Vylia's response to the predictive drawing, but the slight smile came back to her face as it was clear she had done a rather impressive job of breaking Vylia's facade. She nodded politely at her praise, "Much appreciated."

5 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"This is the current five-year ledger for the quarry proper; I have been the sole accountant at this place for far longer, but those books have already been filed away in our archives - this one is current and up-to-date.  However..." the wicked grin returned, "I have taken the liberty of changing FIVE things - and ONLY five things - that make the entire rest of the book inaccurate.  I changed them myself, and I know where I made those changes so that I can correct them once they are discovered..."

Mystic initially looked pensive at the task set before her, then nodded as her confident smile returned. If this ledger works like the Goldenrod books back home, then the only values rendering the whole book inaccurate would be at the front, namely the starting balances and values of the property and accounts, which could only be checked against the subtotals working backwards while not being initially obvious. Despite feeling she had the answer already, Trojan custom dictated taking at least most of the allotted time to present an answer, thus would have plenty of time to resolve any errors in her assumptions before potentially making a fool of herself.

She nodded as she examined the cover closer, "It sounds like a task worthy of my skills, I will have your answer to you by the end of the week as you've requested."

Her being the only one who can correct them further supports this as she'd be the only one to know what those values should be.

5 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

Her composure regained, she let her eyes drift back over to the artwork again.  "Uncanny.  May I keep these, dearie?  I would truly wish to have them, as more culture is always appreciated in my presence."

Her smile grew as she nodded again, "Of course! I, like my predecessor, have no use for the predictions after I've made them."

She seemed to notice then the image on the cover, "That symbol, the Vice Consul made that for you did he not? It bears the hallmarks of his later works."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

On 2/23/2019 at 4:33 PM, Randimaxis said:

"BLITZ!  No no no, you don't DO that!  Do you have any idea how much damage that a busted sewage line can do?"

Blitz had ended up taking a couple of steps back as Silver said that, though her talking hadn't stopped. This was the first time that Silver had more or less scolded her, and though Blitz were used to some talks to her about her being unstable, crazy, evil or the like, she never respected anypony who said that enough to really care. This however, weren't the same, as Silver were one who she already looked up to both literally and figuratively.

Soon as there were a break in communication from both sides, Blitz would seize the chance to respond to this though, and clear some things up before Silver got really mad at her.

"Hey, it was just the lids. And it was an accident. I was trying to show a tiny little shy friend a fun firework, and it fell into the toilet. He sorta panicked and put the lid on, then it kinda bubbled and went *Fwoom!* and the lid flew off. And bounced on the ceiling before cracking into another. That one got broken real bad.

I didn't put it down the toilet on purpose. That's just gross."

She had been dared to by a few there, but even with her more or less complete lack of self control, she wouldn't do that. They needed that sorta thing, and having dung and stuff all over the school? That wasn't funny at all. Seeing the toilet get smashed Were, but that were another deal entirely. That was just slapstick humor. If anypony had gotten hurt, she wouldn't have found it funny in the slightest.

This weren't the only thing she had something to say about first, so Blitz would have to go through them one by one. From the crater, to her memory, and the workshop. All in great details and-

"Okay - I think we're almost ready for a test!"

"Test? Yey! Uhm.... Crater bad, we look there and at the workshop one day, something something want to find where I come from... Okay, on with the fun things!"

Blitz bounced around and looked at what Silver were doing with her wings. She only stood still as the mare were talking about having to put stuff in easy, as the filly understood that situation enough to just stand there, shiver with a mixture of anticipation and adrenaline, and hold her breath. Blitz meddled with enough high explosives on a day to day basis, and not all of it were all that stable, so she had gone through this sort of thing a lot and knew how bad it could go when you lost focus, or got distracted by somepony random. Got her messed up a good few times, but thankfully nothing too serious. Not yet anyway.

Nothing really seemed to happen from there though. It just kinda sat there, with more funny things on it, but without any of the earth-shattering important stuff. Not even a teensie explosion, or anything. Perhaps the joints had gotten stuck on something again? It were a pretty rough design, so it happened sometimes.

The tube suddenly lit up like a lightbulb, and the entire contraption began to flap erratically and energetically, bouncing around the table and shoving things over the side and onto the floor, as well as making a heck of a racket!  Silver's eves went wide, and she panicked as she attempted to catch her falling components.

"ACK!  It's ALIVE!" She laughed, both panic and excitement obvious in her voice as she kept attempting to rein in the current flopping contraption on her workbench.

"It works! It works!"

She didn't care one bit that the machine had gotten to life and were getting close to whamming her right in the face. Seeing that it were actually working were too amazing to stop her from just bouncing ad jumping in a small circle whilst giggling gleefully. Sure the wings were flopping around sorta like a dead fish, and it'd likely get a few pieces bent, but who cared? All of that could be fixed. That it had power were the only thing that mattered, as this were a massive breakthrough in terms of ever getting functional wings.

Magical means were there for those who knew what they were doing, but this were supposed to be something that didn't rely on that. A brand new step towards making air travel available for everypony, regardless of whatever or not they had a horn or natural wings. And that wasn't even beginning to touch on how it could help those who had lost wings to some kind of damage. This could essentially give them their lives back.

Of course, Blitz just started off wanting to fly, but the stuff were widely usable once you had a think about it, but were it not for Silver, that might not have happened in ages, if ever. Sure there were still a long way to go with refining, how it were set on, etc. But the mare had already done tremendous work, and showing herself well worth the increasing amounts of respect and praise Blitz had for her. It were even getting to the same point as what Blitz gave to Pinkie Pie, which were no small feat, as the filly absolutely worshiped the chaotic and nonsensical party pony.

If Silver hadn't gotten hold of the wings within the first thirty seconds of it being activated, Blitz would start to try and help by lounging herself at it and trying to get a good grip to keep it down. It would be unlikely to go well.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 7:33 AM, Randimaxis said:

"I would be VERY interested in getting one of your so-called 'readings' myself," the way he said the word 'readings' was very akin to the way a high-class doctor might say the word 'parasites', "as I would wish to see FIRSTHOOF exactly the extent of your dubious 'talent'... unless, of course, you feel as though I wouldn't be 'readable enough' for your 'skills' to ascertain anything about.  Which, I feel, would be proof positive that this is a sham, YOU are a sham, and that you both should be ejected from here the very second your little wagon is fixed."

Ophelia was nowhere close to mad, but this stallion was becoming troublesome.  Well, so long as he paid, there would be no issues.  If he got rough with her sister, however, there would definitely be problems.

"Of course, mister!" the empath chirped.  "I guarantee that you will be satisfied with your reading, or you will get your bits back!"  With that, she stepped up onto the cart and opened the door to peek inside.  Her sister was right where her paramour had left her, gazing off into space with a wistful smile.

"Dada!" Ophelia hissed, snapping the love-struck mare from her daydreams.  "We have a customer!  Rosethorn!"  Dahlia immediately snapped to attention at that codeword.  Her sister used it sparingly, but it always meant she would be giving a reading to a skeptic, and a vocal one at that.  Her hooves were already beginning to tremble as she stumbled back behind the desk.  Her nerves were still frayed from that romantic encounter barely a few minutes ago, she was not ready for this at all.

"G-Good morning," she stammered, forcing herself to smile at the other pony.  "Please h-have a seat.  Would you l-like some tea?  For this reading to be the most accurate, all p-parties should be r-relaxed and c-comfortable."

-----------------------------------------

On 2/23/2019 at 7:33 AM, Randimaxis said:

"Of course, Master Luther fought in court for an entire year to prove what his father had embezzled, and earned his cutie mark when the courts found Erasmus guilty.  From the point Master Luther was beaten, he has been as you have seen him - dour, cold and stern.  But from what I've been privy to learn, he was almost exactly like Master Dax before the incident.  A shame, to be sure, but Master Luther is one of the toughest stallions I've ever seen in my life."

He turned back to face forward.  "Of all the worst of the Blackwater family... Erasmus is the only one still alive today.  He sits in a cell, where he gets no visitors, no freedom, and no chance to hurt anypony else with his callous and greedy mind.  My only fear is that he may escape someday, return and try to take the quarry back... but that fear is a bit far-fetched, seeing as Erasmus would be in his 60s by now, should my calculations not be in error."

The colt put a hoof to his mouth in shock at the revelation.  How could someone as sweet and kind as Dax become someone like that?  He couldn't fathom it, he could only feel a deep well of pity and sorrow in his heart for the colt that had been lost, and the stallion that had replaced it.

"If he were to return, though...I do not think he would be able to take the quarry back.  Everypony knows who and what he is.  There will be guards here the moment he is discovered!"  Low grasped at straws as he tried to reassure both Beck and himself that this would never happen.  How sheltered and charmed his life had been, to have a good relationship with both of his parents and never having had to risk losing everything because of politics.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:48 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Of course! I, like my predecessor, have no use for the predictions after I've made them."

Vylia looked to Call.  "Gather these, then put them in my dresser drawer.  Third drawer."

The butler pony nodded, "As you wish, madam," and took the two drawings... however, as he gave them a casual glance, he did a noticeable double-take on the larger picture.  He then, seemingly stunned, slid his eyes slowly up to meet the Blackwater matriarch's own, an incredulous question in them that was begging to be answered.  Vylia herself looked back at him, comprehending and acknowledging his surprise.

"Not a word to Luther, of course."

"I, er... y-yes, madam."  Call quickly made his way off, after giving the zebra a look of awe and apprehension - he wasn't exactly afraid of her, but whatever he'd seen in that drawing was enough to most certainly view Mystic in a more considerable light.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:48 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"That symbol, the Vice Consul made that for you did he not? It bears the hallmarks of his later works."

A prim and proud smile filled her muzzle.  "Oh, most certainly!  It was an absolute honor having such a talented and distinguished artist render this; to date, it remains one of the more difficult seals to forge - and believe me, some have tried!"  She gave a sparkling laugh... and, with their time spent chatting (as well as the prediction), the laugh felt more genuine, more real.

"The Vice-Consul was an absolutely exquisite guest, one I dearly wish we could entertain more often, I assure you!  Oh, such a fine guest!  Tell me, please - how has he been faring since his elevation to his position?  He did exchange more letters with Daxter, yet they come far too few these days; being busy with his position, we understand, dearie - yet, I'd be interested in hearing how he's done lately?"

Though she'd been very businesslike and disarming at the beginning of their meeting, the mention of the Trojan brought forth happier thoughts and feelings to Vylia - like mentioning a much-cherished old friend, which apparently he was.

On 3/2/2019 at 4:21 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"It works! It works!"

Silver flailed at the wings, attempting to get their frantic flapping under control.  It was like a bucking bronco, thrashing and flapping with great vigor while Silver attempted to yank the glowing tube out with her magic.  It was tricky for her to keep a grip, but with a bit of focus...

On 3/2/2019 at 4:21 PM, Blitz Boom said:

If Silver hadn't gotten hold of the wings within the first thirty seconds of it being activated, Blitz would start to try and help by lounging herself at it and trying to get a good grip to keep it down.

... aaaaaand there went the focus!

At this point, the wings were underneath the filly.  They didn't cease flapping at all - they simply were now in Blitz's grip, and as they continued to flap and shudder, they fell from the workbench with the little dynamo still in tow.  Silver watched with a mix of panic and amusement as both the device and the filly bumped and wobbled all over the shed floor.

"Ha ha ha!  Hold still, for crying out loud!  Blitz, fold that wing in!  No, the other one!  Aaaaaagh... hee hee hee hee hee!"

It took a few good minutes of frantic wrestling, but eventually the two of them managed to finally pull the tube/battery/thing, and the wing-contraption almost instantly fell still and silent once more.  

Silver wiped a touch of sweat from her brow, glancing about at all the chaos left in the wake of Blitz's harness.  At first, she frowned and shut her eyes... then, she burst into giggles and looked at the filly with nothing but smiles in her eyes.

"WOW!  I mean, WOW!  That was... i-it was... heh..." she took a deep breath, and began again, "Actually, Blitz - there was no doubt in my mind that those wings worked; I simply wasn't ready for how well they would!  But with this as proof... could you imagine what an invention like this could mean for all of Equestria?  The potential applications are staggering!"

She carefully set the wings back on the workbench, then began looking them over with a purpose on her muzzle.

"Let's see... poly-steel, maybe some aluminum reinforcement on the outer edges... can I do that with tin?  No, too soft... bronze, maybe?"

She cast a conspiratorial look at Blitz.  "Now, it's a matter of making another one... and this time, making it light but durable.  I have some ideas as to ways to cut down on even more weight, but... since this is your creation, Miss Junior Inventor Extraordinare, it's really up to you as to how we can proceed.  We can start making a new frame, or we can try to modify this one, or perhaps we could brainstorm about what sort of features we might want to include..."

She looked to Blitz.  "Your creation - your call.  Any ideas?"

On 3/22/2019 at 10:16 PM, Hazard Time said:

"I guarantee that you will be satisfied with your reading, or you will get your bits back!" 

Redd grinned unpleasantly.  "I had better get them back," he muttered.

"G-Good morning, please h-have a seat.  Would you l-like some tea?  For this reading to be the most accurate, all p-parties should be r-relaxed and c-comfortable."

The red stallion made his way into the wagon's recesses after a pointed stare at Ophelia as he stepped past her.

Redd Handid was indeed handsome... but his mood, his expression, his entire aura spoke volumes of snark and smugness.  He made his way inside and gave Dahlia a cool, contemptuous gaze as he seated himself calmly.  The look he wore said he was completely certain he was going to get his money back - and perhaps have some cruel amusement along the way.

"No, no tea - I can't say that I find myself staying long enough for me to finish an entire cup, so I'd say the idea of serving me tea is more or less moot.  Now, are you going to attempt to banter needlessly with me, or can we get down to the little 'buck and wing show' I'm certain you're about to put on?"

Yeah.  UNpleasant.

"If he were to return, though...I do not think he would be able to take the quarry back.  Everypony knows who and what he is.  There will be guards here the moment he is discovered!"

Beck looked over at the young lord.  "Ideally, yes.  I can only pray to Celestia that he never shows his muzzle here again - after all, if he was willing to frame his own child for embezzlement, one can only stand to wonder what he may be willing to do to regain the quarry.  Or at least, what he might do to enact revenge on his usurper."

Turning a corner, the two of them continued down the hallway... yet Beck slowed as they began to pass the front hall.

"Would sir perhaps wish to head to his destination now... or, mayhaps..." Beck smiled with a glint in his eyes, "... Master Key would wish to... heh heh, 'meet' Benny?"

@Randimaxis

Mystic seemed initially concerned at the butler's reaction to the drawing, It seems I've stumbled upon something secret with that, if she doesn't want Lord Blackwater to know...

The concern disappeared from her face, quickly replaced by an attentive, yet positive, expression when Vylia turned her attention back to her.

20 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

- yet, I'd be interested in hearing how he's done lately?"

Mystic looked slightly confused, "Wasn't he just here? At least officially he was on a trip here to negotiate a trade deal before... " she grimaced "If you didn't hear from him then I guess he got called back before he made it." She shrugged, "Outside of that, and given I don't really know him personally, I'd say he's doing fine. He at least appears happy, according to the press. He hasn't been in Deltrot for a few months."

She looked pensive, "I guess that's all, I thought for sure he had made it here before the attack."

She shrugged, the smile returning to her face, "I must thank you again for giving me this chance, I'll do my best to not let you down, and my utmost to surprise you."

On 3/28/2019 at 12:24 AM, Randimaxis said:

"No, no tea - I can't say that I find myself staying long enough for me to finish an entire cup, so I'd say the idea of serving me tea is more or less moot.  Now, are you going to attempt to banter needlessly with me, or can we get down to the little 'buck and wing show' I'm certain you're about to put on?"

Dahlia kept her shock to herself.  She had dealt with "rosethorns" before, but that wasn't to say that she would ever be used to them.  She took a gulp of air and put on her best courtesy smile, keeping her voice as level as she could.

"I see, sir.  I-In that case, what question do wish to be answered?  In can involve anything from your economic, emotional, spiritual, physical, or romantic states, and should focus on what you can expect should you take a certain action."

------------------------

On 3/28/2019 at 12:24 AM, Randimaxis said:

"Would sir perhaps wish to head to his destination now... or, mayhaps..." Beck smiled with a glint in his eyes, "... Master Key would wish to... heh heh, 'meet' Benny?"

The colt cocked his head.  "Benny?  Who is Benny?"  Had he not been paying attention?  He didn't remember that name before, but the dark insinuations in Beck's voice made his curiosity waver.  He wasn't dissuaded, however, and besought his guide for an explanation that he in part dreaded.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

On 3/28/2019 at 8:24 AM, Randimaxis said:

"Ha ha ha!  Hold still, for crying out loud!  Blitz, fold that wing in!  No, the other one!  Aaaaaagh... hee hee hee hee hee!"

Blitz couldn't actually hold the thing down, as she didn't have the weight to do something like that, but she didn't care either as she were being bounced around and bumped into the table, floor, and a few other things in the hectic ride: She were having an absolute blast of a time. The jerky laughter that escaped her and the overly giddy look on her face should speak for itself really, and how could this not be a great time? The wings were working now! The design were still a beginner thing and needed a loooot of work, and better materials, but they were moving now. That had been the biggest issue with the whole thing for Blitz, and now it were fixed. Plus, the bull ride she were getting right now was a ton of fun, and what were a few more bruises to the collection, right? She hadn't broken anything, so no reason for her to be concerned.

The joy didn't stop after the wings were finally turned off and went back to laying lifeless on the ground. Blitz just picked them up, and shook them a few times to see if there were still a spark of energy somewhere in it. Something she'd continue to do until she were sure there weren't any lingering life left in it. No need to let the fun go to waste, right? Hehe, and just listen, Silver were having a lot of fun too! Sure she had gone all frowny face for a few seconds, but she were laughing her head off now too, amidst the chaos their little experiment had caused.

"WOW!  I mean, WOW!  That was... i-it was... heh..." she took a deep breath, and began again, "Actually, Blitz - there was no doubt in my mind that those wings worked; I simply wasn't ready for how well they would!  But with this as proof... could you imagine what an invention like this could mean for all of Equestria?  The potential applications are staggering!"

"Uhuh. Everypony could fly then! And pegasi who got wing damages could be helped too. I saw one in Ponyville, right? Reeeeally angry, veeeery tiny, only one wing. With metal wings, that sort of mare could get back into the sky! Bet that'd make any pegasus happy. Uuuh, they could be made for dragons and griffons too?"

Blitz's eyes glazed over as the thought of a huge dragon sporting one of the wings Silver and her were gonna make. Way beyond what her original thought were when she started working on making wings, but man, wouldn't that be cool? She heard there were some dragons who never got their wings either, so that could be a thing too, right? Ehehe, this were gonna be amazing! They just had to get the design all worked up, figure out how to control it without the user needing to have magic, and then get some better materials to built it all out of than the remelted scrap metal that Blitz had been using, and Silver were already hard at work, looking like all sorts of things went through her head.

"Let's see... poly-steel, maybe some aluminum reinforcement on the outer edges... can I do that with tin?  No, too soft... bronze, maybe?"

She cast a conspiratorial look at Blitz.  "Now, it's a matter of making another one... and this time, making it light but durable.  I have some ideas as to ways to cut down on even more weight, but... since this is your creation, Miss Junior Inventor Extraordinare, it's really up to you as to how we can proceed.  We can start making a new frame, or we can try to modify this one, or perhaps we could brainstorm about what sort of features we might want to include..."

She looked to Blitz.  "Your creation - your call.  Any ideas?"

"We make a new one! Pleeeease? It'll be lighter, shinier, and with better wings. Feathers doesn't work, they just look pretty so we'd need s- Oh! Bat ponies have like, leathery flappy wings. We use leather, or some sorta thin metal instead? Hehe, gonna have to try that. Wouldn't be a pegasus wing, but it'll be all sorts of awesome anyway, and it'd work! Maybe.

Extra things could be fun, but.... Nnnngh, no, bad Blitz. Focus! Make a good pair of wings, go flying without falling, Then fun stuff like rockets."

The filly were bouncing around, poking her head, and pushing things to the side whilst babbling along, as if somepony had sped up a recording of her. There was just no time to lie around and do nothing, so how could she stand still? Though she might wanna do so soon, as she hadn't exactly gotten enough sleep during the night to make up for the exhaustion that fueled her passing out yesterday, but Silver would have to learn regulate that if Blitz were to stay here in the quarry. The mare were getting the hang of how to make Blitz do things so far, so it shouldn't be too hard, though she may also end up getting swooped in by the prospect of experimenting enough to just lose sense of time and place. Inventors could be a strange bunch.

"I wanna hear your suggestions, Silver. You're real smart, and this place is full of good materials. I bet you have tons of ideas on how to make it the bestest thing ever."

Blitz would stop her semi-cleaning and bounce over to Silver, where she looked expectantly up on the mare with her ears up top. No way were she gonna miss even a single word that were being said.

behind her, as her bulbous tail hit the floor, some clanging could be heard from the mess every time it touched the surface. She may have gotten some things stuck in there during the struggle, but it were fine. Long as there weren't a smell of burnt hair.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 11:42 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Outside of that, and given I don't really know him personally, I'd say he's doing fine. He at least appears happy, according to the press. He hasn't been in Deltrot for a few months."

"Oh."  A slight look of disappointment crossed her features for a moment, then she simply smiled back.

"Well, I suppose as long as he's doing well, there's no need to worry so much, eh?"

But she was worried; she'd known enough politicians to realize that the press saying Illiad was happy didn't mean Jack Squat; he might have been miserable, but the way that stallion could hide his true self... well, Vylia was certain that he could handle whatever Troy threw at him - she simply hoped she'd get the chance to speak to her friend again, too.

And if the drawing Mystic had done held any truth to it, Illiad would be at the party, anyway; she could always endeavor to catch up with him there.

"I guess that's all, I thought for sure he had made it here before the attack."

Vylia sat up, foppishness and decorum instantly gone in a flash as a decidedly different look was slapped onto her features.

"Attack?  There's been an... a-an attack?"

Vylia recalled when Illiad told her things were politically tense in Troy... and she sincerely hoped it wasn't a precursor to something worse.

"I must thank you again for giving me this chance, I'll do my best to not let you down, and my utmost to surprise you."

Her smile returned, though looking a tad forced.  "Thank you, dearie - I expect not a single iota less.  Now, if you're curious, I'm certain we could arrange a tour of the grounds, as you'll be here for quite some time.  Might as well get a good view of what's to be your temporary new home, and perhaps maybe you'll get the chance to meet the others here.  Careful of the miners, though,"  she shuddered,  "... they're FILTHY."

With a calculating grin, she turned to her butler.  "Call... go fetch Daxter, would you?  I'm sure he'd be... interested... to meet our new houseguest.  And I can think of nopony better for a tour of the quarry proper."  Her smile grew.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:56 PM, Hazard Time said:

"I see, sir.  I-In that case, what question do wish to be answered?  In can involve anything from your economic, emotional, spiritual, physical, or romantic states, and should focus on what you can expect should you take a certain action."

Redd gave her a skeptic eye to beat the band... then put on a ponderous look as he truly considered her question.  The thinking expression seemed ill at ease on his muzzle.

"Well... how about this, then?  I have a sister.  Her job is incredible.  I'M working at this... dunghill of a hole... in order to help her.  If you really have some sort of all-knowing, all-seeing ability to predict what comes next, then we'll go from there.  Honestly, though?"  She leveled a gaze at her.  "I expect about as much point as sack of drowned parasprites."

He sighed, rolled his eyes, and said, "I would like to know if all I'm doing here for her benefit will be of any good?  Am I working for no reason?  Is this what I need to continue, so that she has a chance to make it?  Am I wasting my time at the quarry... or in this carriage?"

Beck's smile grew, and he made his way toward the kitchen.

"Benny, Master Key, is actually not a 'who'... as much as a 'what'."

Reaching his destination, he went to what at first appeared to be a window... yet, when he tugged on the 'windowsill', it opened as if it were a doorway, allowing access to the side of the manor itself... and a garage.  It'd been here when they'd first arrived, but it was set back between the side of the manor house, and where it met the mountain it was imbedded into.  The garage looked quaint, as it had the same blue ivy crawling up it that the Blackwater Manor had out front... but nowhere near as well-trimmed.

Beck made his way towards the garage door.

"Many years back, one of the Blackwaters was a prolific inventor.  He took it upon himself to begin work on a machine that could provide safe and efficient transportation around the quarry grounds, and after a number of years, he managed to come up with such an invention."

Inside the garage were a number of tools all neatly placed upon a rack, sacks of fertilizer and cement, a few crates stacked upon each other... and a rathr large something under a big, thick tarp.  Beck reached it and stopped.

"And so, without further ado... I present to you one of the greatest inventions in Blackwater history..."

He grabbed the tarp with his mouth and yanked it free of... of... of...

It was a HULK of steel; it was longer than it was tall, and it also had windows on all four sides where he could see the interior seats.  There was some sort of pole sticking through the middle of it, about as big around as Key's leg, and there was some sort of wheel in front of the front left seat.  All of this was sitting on what looked like wheel made from rubber or something?

[OOC: Think of a 1957 Chevrolet with a steel pole in the middle of it.]

"I give you... Benny, Master Key," he said with a flourish of his forehoof.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:36 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"I wanna hear your suggestions, Silver. You're real smart, and this place is full of good materials. I bet you have tons of ideas on how to make it the bestest thing ever."

She smiled broadly.  "Well... from my experience, the BEST inventions are the ones we create carefully.  Let me show you how I do it..."

Silver made her way over to one of her plastic-coated whiteboards, hauled it over, swiped a fetlock over the stuff written there already, and lifted a marker with her magic.

"The planning stage might not be as exciting as the actual building part... but getting this part done is what you use to make SURE your creation is what you want it to be - plus, it'll save you a ton of supplies, as you'll be doing and not just experimenting blindly."

The marker uncapped, and Silver began writing away on the board.  Ovals, lines and circles slowly began to take shape as a sleek-looking set of mechanical wings began to take shape right in front of Blitz's eyes.

"See, what we need to focus on is aerodynamic tensile strength; the faster you flap, the stronger they'll need to be.  And we need to make sure they don't snap in mid-flight; miiiiiiiiight be a touch disconcerting to some folks.  From there, we have to ensure that the gear mechanisms can not only withstand hard flight, but long hovers - and they need to be able to withstand weather, too."

She began scribbling little noted on the sides of the drawing:  'drag?' or 'batt. casing' or 'silver thread for lining'.  

"Blitz," she said as she continued to focus on the whiteboard, "I like the idea of the leather for the wings - that would bring SO much weight down!  But I'm NOT going to use..." she shuddered, "... the REAL thing; however, there's a number of pones I know who make materials like this - I could get in touch with them, and I'm sure they could have some strong canvas or such.  It'd REALLY make a difference to the weight count."

She continued to draw, her amber eyes locked onto the board.

"Blitz, may I ask where you got the metal to make the power connections?  I mean, it's a stroke of brilliance, to be sure... but I'm wondering what other kinds of conducive metals might interact badly with the battery - we need to make sure the thing's safe before we let anyone try it out."

@Randimaxis

6 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"Attack?  There's been an... a-an attack?"

Mystic looked saddened by the response, "While Troy has gained many allies, not all of them want to work together, and would rather Troy didn't work with them either." She shrugged, "The investigation is still ongoing, but from what I was told: A certain reindeer was carrying an explosive in the legislative building, and it went off while Consul Hooves and... I forget his name, but he was the leader of the Fastar Clan of Thestrals, were nearby. Consul Hooves was greatly injured, among others, but the Fastar leader and the reindeer were found dead."

She looked back up at Vylia, "So now I guess he's Acting Consul Easle until Consul Hooves recovers, tensions were very high when I left, but hopefully he'll be able to calm things back down."

6 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"Call... go fetch Daxter, would you?  I'm sure he'd be... interested... to meet our new houseguest.  And I can think of nopony better for a tour of the quarry proper." 

Mystic perked up considerably at the news that Dax would be in charge of showing her around, and didn't miss that Vylia smiled at the end. She knows... and it seems she approves. She looked herself over to ensure that she was wholly presentable, she hardly wanted to make a poor impression after all this time. When Dax had last seen her, she looked the part of an adolescent zebra filly, but through time she had developed into the exotic zebra mare that stood before Vylia, while she still looked quite young, she was well on her way. And now she'd get to see how Dax had matured in her absence.

Mystic nodded, "I'll keep that in mind, I would certainly hate to cause your cleaning staff any trouble. After all I've heard of this place, and the little I saw for myself on the way up, I'm sure the rest is just as, if not even more, beautiful."

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2019 at 6:58 AM, Randimaxis said:

Redd gave her a skeptic eye to beat the band... then put on a ponderous look as he truly considered her question.  The thinking expression seemed ill at ease on his muzzle.

"Well... how about this, then?  I have a sister.  Her job is incredible.  I'M working at this... dunghill of a hole... in order to help her.  If you really have some sort of all-knowing, all-seeing ability to predict what comes next, then we'll go from there.  Honestly, though?"  She leveled a gaze at her.  "I expect about as much point as sack of drowned parasprites."

He sighed, rolled his eyes, and said, "I would like to know if all I'm doing here for her benefit will be of any good?  Am I working for no reason?  Is this what I need to continue, so that she has a chance to make it?  Am I wasting my time at the quarry... or in this carriage?"

"I do not claim to know what comes next, Mister Redd.  I can understand your confusion, but I am simply a medium.  To describe it more simple terms, you can think of me as a middlemare between yourself and the spirits of the ethereal world beyond.  The future is not predetermined, and your course can be changed, but that is your choice and your choice only.  The spirits offer advice, it is up to you what you do with their wisdom."  Dahlia cleared her throat, her eyes hesitantly locking with Redd's.  She hadn't expected such a show of vulnerability from him.  Perhaps it was a sign that he was willing to have an open mind?

"Anyway, I believe I know a spread that will be of use to you."  The mare took her deck and shuffled it several times, drawing six face down cards and arranging them in a pyramid shape with three on the bottom, two in the middle, and one at the very top.  She began at the bottom left, placing her hoof atop that card and flipping it over to reveal the upside down figure of an alicorn mare seated upon a throne.

"The Empress is inverted," she commented.  "A sign of disappointment.  The Empress is the archetype of feminine energy: compassionate, creative, intuitive.  Would you say that either of these qualities align with what is expected of your position?  Have you been demonstrating these qualities, or shirking them?"  She flipped over the next card, another alicorn with iridescent mane, tail, and wings soaring high above the clouds, surrounded by a wreath.  In each of the four corners, an intelligent race was represented: ponies, griffons, cows, and hippogriffs.

"The World.  Nopony lives in a vacuum, Mister Redd.  All of our actions have consequences that affect others, like ripples upon a pond.  We must always remain conscious others in lives, including those we care for most.  From what you told me before, this fits well with what motivates you."  The last card on the bottom was flipped.

"Six of Wands.  At the quarry, your responsibility is to lead, inspire, and provide clarity under pressure.  Are you a forepony, Mister Redd?  You bear the confidence of someone who leads, do you feel comfortable bearing that mantle?"  Dahlia's hoof moved up a row, flipping over the middle left card, which was upside down and depicted a single sword piercing a crown.

"Inverted Ace of Swords..."  The mare gulped before continuing.  "Do your projects trouble you, Mister Redd?  The Ace of Swords is usually full of optimism, heralding a silver lining behind the dark cloud, but...the sun never shows.  W-Where did it go?  Why is i-it so dark..."  Without even thinking, the mare reached out and gripped Redd Handid's hoof.  Any sort of contact would normally have flustered her, but this was a different situation.  This was the darkest card she had ever drawn, the energy emanating from it sapping what joy had been brought to her from the reading before.  She could not continue on until that energy had been cleared.  "Please, Mister Redd, do not give up!  The sun may never show, but you must never forget why you do this.  The sun may not be in the sky, but it is within you!  It is within!"  Her hoof tightened around his before she forced herself to release, taking in deep breaths before she flipped over the second to last card, an upside down armored knight holding a coin in his hoof.  Her eyes went wide and she began to hyperventilate.

"The...the Knight of Pentacles...inverted...No!  No no no!  Please!  You cannot!  Stop it!  Stop it!"  Dahlia covered her muzzle, tears streaming down her cheeks as she continued to rave and shriek.  Ophelia burst through the door saying not a word before rushing to her sister's side, gingerly removing the stocking from her right forehoof and placing the bare flesh upon Dahlia's own.  The two of them suddenly appeared to freeze, Dahlia's eyes closing as a blank, serene expression came over her face.  For the moment, a pregnant pause filled the carriage, a single tear rolling down from behind Ophelia's thick bangs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 4/20/2019 at 6:58 AM, Randimaxis said:

"I give you... Benny, Master Key," he said with a flourish of his forehoof.

When he first laid eyes upon it, Low was unsure what to make of it.  Aesthetically, at least, it was beautiful.  The way the light rolled off the polished chrome surface, the comfortable seating inside, the smooth contours...the unicorn reached out a hoof and gently ran it over the surface.  He was no engineer, he would not understand the mechanics of it, but the beauty of it...the beauty he was in love with.

"What...does it do?  How does it work?"

On 4/20/2019 at 3:58 PM, Randimaxis said:

"Well... from my experience, the BEST inventions are the ones we create carefully.  Let me show you how I do it..."

There had been a lot of ponies trying to teach Blitz about safety, and yet so far, not even her idol Pinkie Pie had been able to make her stick to much of that.

She had been able to remain content to keeping explosives in more secure locations and take precautions whilst making stuff, but when it came to testing, her excitement tended to trump the natural instinct for self preservation that should keep her in line.

Silver may be able to change that as she had an asset that nopony else that had tried to teach Blitz had: A fully functional inventor shop to prove her point with tangible examples. There were no guarantees, but it were worth a shot to try this, rather than have Blitz accidentally blow off a leg or something.

"The planning stage might not be as exciting as the actual building part... but getting this part done is what you use to make SURE your creation is what you want it to be - plus, it'll save you a ton of supplies, as you'll be doing and not just experimenting blindly."

"Oh, oh, you mean like schematics? I make those! The forest have many strange things, but not always much, so when I find something that works, I doodle it down. It's reeeeeal important when making glitter bombs for Pinkie's party cannon. They get a tiny bit wrong, and they'll cover lot's of buildings in pretty, but sticky colors."

It were more of a list than a proper schematic, but it were something at least to stop her from wasting materials. That being said, she usually only made those after she had gotten something done, rather than plan ahead. Making something new usually started with her getting the idea and then scavenge what she needed to begin building it, so the way Silver did it were certainly interesting to watch. Sadly, since Blitz were a very excitable and impulse driven filly, this lesson might not stick all that well. She'd try though, since she'd have to check if doing it like this would make her smarter, like Silver were. It were well worth a try for that, though she could already feel that it were hard just standing still and watching this, as she were still hyped up about everything they were going to do with the wings, as well as tge fun little ride from before. She'd really have to try that again sometime.

The concentration were there though, with what Silver spoke of. Tensile strength, gear, potential problems. These were the wort of fun things Blitz wanted to go over a little by little too, as she didn't want her incention to accidentally harm lots of ponies. She wanted to be a famous inventor after all, not an infamous mad scientist. Nopony were gonna step forward and say they knew her if she ended up with that label.

"Blitz," she said as she continued to focus on the whiteboard, "I like the idea of the leather for the wings - that would bring SO much weight down!  But I'm NOT going to use..." she shuddered, "... the REAL thing; however, there's a number of pones I know who make materials like this - I could get in touch with them, and I'm sure they could have some strong canvas or such.  It'd REALLY make a difference to the weight count."

Blitz tilted her head to the side a little and stared up at the mare with slight confusion.

"Why not real leather? It sounds icky to go and make that, but other like gryphons hunt and sell the leather to other. Same with this funny talking pony that makes pet food in Ponyville, but the others don't like that. Or him. Dunno why."

Ooooh, wait wait wait! I think I get it. It's because if these gets like, real popular, it'd take lots of hides, and too many animals get taken then? Hehe, that's smart thinking Silver. We'll try the funny canvas thingies then."

Blitz grinned as she thought she finally got the point of this being that there'd just be too much waste, as animals would start getting hunted just for their hides, instead of them getting eaten and the hides being sold separately to avoid waste. The fact that a regular pony might not like seeing dead animals however, didn't enter her thought, as she figured that everypony needed to eat, and whatever were left made for good materials to be used for whatever. Shouldn't be an issue just because some ponies loved critter and such, right? Didn't make sense to her at least.

"Blitz, may I ask where you got the metal to make the power connections?  I mean, it's a stroke of brilliance, to be sure... but I'm wondering what other kinds of conducive metals might interact badly with the battery - we need to make sure the thing's safe before we let anyone try it out."

"I just use whatever metal I can find in the dumpsters in Ponyville. Especially near the blacksmith. Lots of discard metal in his dumpster to use, so I sneak some away when it's night and everypony sleeps. Mostly steel, but sometimes other fun stuff too. Pretty sure it were just steel for the power thingies though. That's fine, right? Have to make everything safe before somepony gets hurt! Don't wanna be known as somepony who made another pony go Zap! And nopony would be happy with all the fun and important stuff then."

• Brohoof 1

On 4/20/2019 at 4:46 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"While Troy has gained many allies, not all of them want to work together, and would rather Troy didn't work with them either.  The investigation is still ongoing, but from what I was told: A certain reindeer was carrying an explosive in the legislative building, and it went off while Consul Hooves and... I forget his name, but he was the leader of the Fastar Clan of Thestrals, were nearby. Consul Hooves was greatly injured, among others, but the Fastar leader and the reindeer were found dead."

Hooves... Hooves... where have I heard that name?  From Daxter, perhaps?

Vylia gave a haunted look.  "I am... dreadfully sorry to hear of such tribulations.  I had been certain that Easle would make things better... yet, I must admit, not every decision will be made with his counsel.  He may indeed be a miracle worker," she said with a knowing grin, "but he can't handle everything at once.  Hopefully, this won't mean that horrible word he spoke of during his last visit - I'm not certain Equestria could survive a-... well, one of those things."

Vylia either found it uncouth to say the word "war"... or she was afraid of possibly conjuring it through mention alone.

"So now I guess he's Acting Consul Easle until Consul Hooves recovers, tensions were very high when I left, but hopefully he'll be able to calm things back down."

"Of course he will!  He's quite good at that - trust me, I know from firsthoof experience."

"I'll keep that in mind, I would certainly hate to cause your cleaning staff any trouble. After all I've heard of this place, and the little I saw for myself on the way up, I'm sure the rest is just as, if not even more, beautiful."

At that, the Blackwater matron gave a satisfied titter.  "I certainly believe so.  And I look forward to hearing you tell me your opinion of it!  There is much to see, and Daxter knows every fact and location that has anything to do with the quarry OR his family.  We have a rich and vaunted history, dating back all the way to the end of Discord's reign!  If you collect histories, then I daresay you're in for quite a treat!"

On 5/1/2019 at 3:32 AM, Hazard Time said:

"The spirits offer advice, it is up to you what you do with their wisdom." 

He harumphed so hard, she could almost taste it, yet he sat back to watch what would happen.

"The Empress is inverted, a sign of disappointment.  The Empress is the archetype of feminine energy: compassionate, creative, intuitive.  Would you say that either of these qualities align with what is expected of your position?  Have you been demonstrating these qualities, or shirking them?" 

He looked at Dahlia a moment, then answered slowly, as if he were gauging her reaction to each word.

"That... sounds like my sister.  Especially the 'creative' part.  As for what's expected of me..." his muzzle took on something between a pout & a grimace.  "I'm doing what I'm able to.  I'm certain SHE understands that, even if everyone else doesn't."

He crossed his forelimbs.  "Is there any more to this little dog & pony show, or..."

"The World.  Nopony lives in a vacuum, Mister Redd.  All of our actions have consequences that affect others, like ripples upon a pond.  We must always remain conscious others in lives, including those we care for most.  From what you told me before, this fits well with what motivates you." 

Redd said nothing, but his right eyebrow quirked.  Apparently, he didn't disagree.

"Six of Wands.  At the quarry, your responsibility is to lead, inspire, and provide clarity under pressure.  Are you a forepony, Mister Redd?  You bear the confidence of someone who leads, do you feel comfortable bearing that mantle?" 

Now, Redd gave the tiniest of self-satisfied smiles.

"I happen to be a forepony, yes - how very astute... however, if you'd have spoken to any other staff here, chances are they've already told you this.  So you'll have to pardon me if I don't exactly seem super-impressed with your 'amazing psychic skills'.  As for being comfortable with it, I assure you that it doesn't bother me in the slightest to have a bit of weight to throw around here... especially when a miner is obviously going to do something foolish... or perhaps if, say, a pair of hustlers decided they wanted to prey on the workers here?

He then sat back again, and put on a smug smirk.  "I would have the authority to stop the former from doing anything unsafe or costly... and in the latter case, I'd have the right to EJECT such vermin from the quarry.  Why would I not want such capability?"

"Inverted Ace of Swords..."

At her reaction, the smirk vanished.

"Do your projects trouble you, Mister Redd?  The Ace of Swords is usually full of optimism, heralding a silver lining behind the dark cloud, but...the sun never shows.  W-Where did it go?  Why is i-it so dark..." 

Redd looked around the carriage a bit nervously, then turned his attentions back to the fortune teller.  For what it was worth, he did seem a bit rattled.

"Well... I admit my time at this rock pit has been... longer... than anticipated.  I would thank my brothers for that - IF they ever showed their faces around here, that is."

At the mention of brothers, Redd's muzzle went sour.  "It's THEIR fault I'm here to begin with..."

"Please, Mister Redd, do not give up!  The sun may never show, but you must never forget why you do this.  The sun may not be in the sky, but it is within you!  It is within!"

The forepony balked, trying to back away and remove his hoof from her grip.

"What... w-what's WRONG with you!?  Let GO!  What are you-"

"The...the Knight of Pentacles...inverted...No!  No no no!  Please!  You cannot!  Stop it!  Stop it!" 

Once she let go of his hoof, he simply sat back and watched the proceedings unfold before him.  However, as things progressed, the look on his muzzle went from cold panic to questioning, then slowly settled in a nonplussed poker face as Dahlia and Ophelia wound down.

After a moment, he rose to his hooves and stepped over to where he could address them both... and clapped his hooves together softly.

"Quite theatrical - and seeing as my own mother was a lauded, well-accomplished actress, I have to say that the two of you have the routine down pat.  'Give the doubtful a shock, and they'll believe you completely', eh?  Please - I'm not some dippy moron willing to soak up anything he sees as fact.  Perhaps a portion of your 'reading' may have been a..." he snorted, "legitimate attempt to 'read' me, but the theatrics of the latter half were FAR too much for me to feasibly buy.  And I suspect the declaration of 'rosethorn' was some sort of sign; maybe that I would require more grand theatrics than normal to convince?  Or were you simply giving me some sort of 'pet name', hmmmmm?  Really, I'm quite tired of others thinking I'm some sort of moron, simply because I'm more abrasive than they care to deal with.  But such is such."

He turned and went for the door... but before crossing the threshhold proper, he turned his head slightly, looking at them over his flank.

"However... the act is solid.  Bravo.  I suppose such shenanigans could be overlooked - especially at such a bargain price - as long as the two of you don't interfere with quarry business, that is.  If I find more workers in line here than in the mines?  You're both OUT, understood?"

Placing their payment on the table, he now put on a broad (and snarky) smile.  "I am thoroughly entertained though - and I refuse to cheat performers.  Best of luck on your other 'readings', you two."

However, as he left he gave the carriage a glance over his shoulder. 

Yes, performers... but... but AM I ever going to see her again?  Will I EVER become good enough to join her onstage?  My brothers despise me, yes, but... they wouldn't be planning anything... BAD, would they..?

He gave a single shudder as he moved on towards the quarry... and passed another individual, seemingly interested in the goings on with the new guests.

In a few moments, there came a slight, almost timid, knock.  Outside, a small blue pegasus mare with mismatched eyes was giving the carriage a curious once-over.

"What...does it do?  How does it work?"

Beck smiled.

"This would quite possibly be the very first harnessless carriage - a vehicle that runs completely on steam power!  I've actually had the chance to see it in action, and though it may take a moment to get started," he gave a grin, "I daresay it's faster than any earthbound pony I've ever seen."

"I believe it was intended as some sort of war machine, but it was recrafted into what you see before you by a subsequent family member, and has been here in the garage ever since... except when Miss Silver and Mister List take it out for a spin on occasion.  The handymare has spent a great deal of time underneath the front and rear panels, but the only pony I've seen sitting in the control seat has been Mister List - he steers it with that wheel in front."

Beck took on a starry-eyed look.  "I've witnessed their test runs toward the bottom of the mountains... and if I may be so bold sir, I would state that it's both the most amazing thing I've ever seen move... and the most terrifying.  Though it's slow to start up, once the boiler gets going it moves across the ground like a Wonderbolt moves through the sky!  I've often found myself admittedly a tad jealous of Mister List for being able to experience and control such a thing - then, of course, my head returns from the clouds, and I realize that such wonders aren't for me.  Besides, I..." he blushed, "... get seasick easily; no telling what I'd feel in the midst of one of Benny's rollicking romps."

There was more in the garage than just Benny, though - and the small, time-worn portrait hanging on the far wall seemed to almost call to Key.

As small as it was, the artwork on it was well-detailed.  There were three strong-looking stallions and a small but feisty mare, all crammed together on a couch.  They all wore mischievous grins, and the mare was holding up two knitting needles behind one of the stallion's heads, giving him the appearance of having rabbit ears. The clothing they wore was not modern, but not so far off as to have appeared to be ancient.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Oh, oh, you mean like schematics? I make those! The forest have many strange things, but not always much, so when I find something that works, I doodle it down. It's reeeeeal important when making glitter bombs for Pinkie's party cannon. They get a tiny bit wrong, and they'll cover lot's of buildings in pretty, but sticky colors."

Silver nodded with a grin.  "I can imagine how much NOT fun it would be, cleaning the sticky stuff off of... well, everything, I'd guess!"

"But yes, schematics are where the designs eventually end up, but I'm talking about experiments; things you don't know if they could work or not yet.  Schematics are for when you've worked out all the kinks and bugs - planning is where you're figuring things out.  And," she smiled over her flank at Blitz, "I like to think of planning as... a-an invention's baby pictures."  She gave a sheepish, geeky smile that spoke volumes of how much she enjoyed being intelligent.

"Doodles would be planning - but have you ever written down the complete recipes before?"

"Why not real leather? It sounds icky to go and make that, but other like gryphons hunt and sell the leather to other. Same with this funny talking pony that makes pet food in Ponyville, but the others don't like that. Or him. Dunno why."

Ooooh, wait wait wait! I think I get it. It's because if these gets like, real popular, it'd take lots of hides, and too many animals get taken then? Hehe, that's smart thinking Silver. We'll try the funny canvas thingies then."

At the mention of real leather, the squeamish Silver gave a slight shudder, but composed herself well enough.

"Always keep in mind," she said after Blitz agreed to the canvas, "where your resources come from.  If you have a certain type of salt crystal you prefer to use for an experiment, you wouldn't want to completely exhaust your supply, right?  Take enough to use, let it regrow over time for more later - and if these wings became popular (which I fully expect!), then not everypony would have the same restraint.  We'd BOTH feel just awful if even a single species went extinct from poachers and such, all to make these wonderful wings."  

She made a face like she'd bitten a peppercorn.  "It would taint how wonderful this invention is... let's not have that, okay?"

"I just use whatever metal I can find in the dumpsters in Ponyville. Especially near the blacksmith. Lots of discard metal in his dumpster to use, so I sneak some away when it's night and everypony sleeps. Mostly steel, but sometimes other fun stuff too. Pretty sure it were just steel for the power thingies though. That's fine, right? Have to make everything safe before somepony gets hurt! Don't wanna be known as somepony who made another pony go Zap! And nopony would be happy with all the fun and important stuff then."

Silver finally turned away from her dry erase board and grinned at the filly.  

"Well, we won't have to sneak for anything here - I have express permission to use whatever I need, and I can always ask for what I don't have!  I try to be cautious, and also not to overstep my boundaries..." a slightly embarrassed look, there, "but as long as things don't go absolutely haywire, then I'm pretty much allowed to build whatever I want!  Isn't that AWESOME!?"

Now Silver was clapping her hooves and looking giddy; she could've passed for Blitz's big sister.

"New inventions are SOOOOOOOOOO much fun!"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Mystic finished looking herself over, while she was far from perfect given she had just arrived at the quarry, she hoped it would lend a bit of authenticity to their first encounter after all this time. She was momentarily distracted from her musings by Vylia's final remark, 

On 5/7/2019 at 3:18 PM, Randimaxis said:

If you collect histories, then I daresay you're in for quite a treat!

She focused her attention back on Vylia, an intrigued expression on her face, "Truly? My family has quite the oral tradition as well, stories have been passed through my family for quite some time as well, even from the original founding of Troy, before its independence. I would be honored to trade my family's stories for yours while I'm here."

The thought of passing on the history of her family, combining the rich histories of the two groups, it made the shaman part of her ecstatic to play such a role. But the more personal, romantic side of her was still focused on the immenant meeting with Dax.

While she could often see glimpses of the future for others, the only thing she would be able to see for herself would be her death, not that that was a rule to it, just that even the original Oracle had never seen anything but her own death when her gaze focused inward. Therefore she'd simply have to imagine how the meeting would go: the butler would come in through the doors he had left, bow politely, possibly declare Dax, then either leave or move to stand by Vylia, Dax would enter behind the butler, ever as cordial as he had been with her own mother, he'd probably be surprised to see her. Would he react? Or would he hide the surprise and greet her like an old friend? Likely the latter, he'd save the reaction for when they were alone, out of his mother's sight. 

But how would she react? While Mystic had become great at predicting the actions of others even without her foresight, she was often surprised by her own. She decided that she would greet him cordially and professionally in front of his mother, and wait till they were alone to fully express her enthusiasm at being so close to him again. 

A slight smile came to her face, it'd be just like the concert again, she was sure of it.

In all of her musings Dax could even have already entered the room and she wouldn't have noticed. 

• Brohoof 1

On 5/7/2019 at 2:18 PM, Randimaxis said:

"I am thoroughly entertained though - and I refuse to cheat performers.  Best of luck on your other 'readings', you two."

"Do not lose-"

"-the light."

The sisters would remain like that for a few minutes more before they finally detached.  Dahlia took in a deep sigh and Ophelia softly caressed her hoof.  There was nothing to say, she knew.

Outside, a small blue pegasus mare with mismatched eyes was giving the carriage a curious once-over.

Both heads turned towards the door, and the shorter twin was soon to answer it.  She did a quick peak up to her shoulders, then kept going slightly more.  A little peak in her eyes wouldn't hurt, just to get a gauge of her mental state.  Her bestockinged hoof lifted up her bangs, meeting the pegasus' gaze.  Heterochromatic?  Some would consider that an omen, but Ophelia was no seer.  She pressed forward with her aura, psychic tendrils slithering into her mind as she felt around for feelings.

Suddenly, she gasped, her bangs falling back down as she staggered back.  Before she could regain awareness of her surroundings there was a single tear running down the side of her cheek.  She shook off the residual emotions, wiped her face with her stocking, and returned a nervous smile.

"W-welcome!  Have you come to ask questions of the spirits?  I sense...a great longing within you.  How may I and my sister help?"

-----------------------------------------

As small as it was, the artwork on it was well-detailed.  There were three strong-looking stallions and a small but feisty mare, all crammed together on a couch.  They all wore mischievous grins, and the mare was holding up two knitting needles behind one of the stallion's heads, giving him the appearance of having rabbit ears. The clothing they wore was not modern, but not so far off as to have appeared to be ancient.

Most of Beck's talk of the harnessless carriage went over Low Key's head.  An engineer he was not, neither was he a stallion who overly cared much for gadgets.  He could appreciate the aesthetics of something, but it would be someone else's business to make sure it ran.

More interesting to the young noble was the painting on the wall, which Low had quickly become fascinated by.  He left the carriage behind and approached it, his eyes following the lines and soaking up the detail.

"Who were they?" he inquired.  "I do not remember any of them from the previous gallery.  Are they not Blackwaters?"

(edited)

@Randimaxis

On 5/7/2019 at 11:18 PM, Randimaxis said:

Doodles would be planning - but have you ever written down the complete recipes before?"

"Uuuuh..."

Blitz sat relatively still and poked her head a few times, trying to think on this. Were a bit more tricky, but technically, hadn't she? Not before stuff though, so the question were if that is what counted here?

She'd sit more or less still while the rest of the questions were asked, absorbing what were said, but trying to dwell on this one a bit more. That is, until the last line were spoken by Silver, and Blitz couldn't sit still anymore. Instead she got up and jumped in place, sharing in the giddy energy that just seemed to ooze off of the mare.

"Yesyesyes! New things are fun to make, ehehehehe."

Blitz took a few rounds running around Silver as if she had fallen into a bag of sugar, before tripping over her own hooves and rolling to the side. She'd end up upside down with her back against a wall/table and grinning up towards Silver, no worse for the wear. She'd been doing this sort of thing for a while, so a few minor bruises or scratches she wouldn't really focus on enough to feel much pain all that often. One time, she'd even end up with a noticeable cut on her side that she weren't aware of before she went to see the townsfolks and a few locals dragged her off to the doctor. She just figured that the scratchy kind of feeling were because she'd gotten some weird leaves stuck to her or something, instead of the clean cut the thorny plant had apparently given her.

This were not saying that pain didn't affect her, heaven's no, she just had other things to think about, and so she kinda drifted off from focusing on the minor pain.

"Are we gonna see Dax-Dad soon and show him the new fun things? I wanna see his face when they go kaboomie, and then go write down what I needed for the one he liked the bestest. Gotta have to remember that with things that goes Kaboom! Or things will just get too little or large. No fun, and real dangerous."

This should answer the recipe question, whilst also asking in to the situation with Luther. Blitz tended to mostly write down things when she had figured out how they got made, but it were rather rough, on scraps of paper she'd been able to find, along with scavenged writing tools, so it looked all kinds of funny. The spelling and penmanship were above standard for one her age, but you could still easily tell that it were written by a foal. The added doodles certainly didn't help on that perception, but she figured that long as she were happy how it looked, that were all that mattered. Might have to learn something new now that she had somepony else who understood the weird things she made, and faaaaar beyond that. Seriously, she'd be able to learn a lot of important things if she just listened to Silver and watched the mare work, she were sure of it.

"Dangerous too to make animals part of important stuff, you're right. Yep. Meat eaters won't be happy if their munchy food gets extinct, and the forests will go all silent and boring. Who'd want that? Not me, I wanna see animals, and hear howling noises. It's a pretty sound."

Getting back on her hooves, Blitz shook herself free of whatever dust might've gotten on her. Considering the massive tail she were lumbering around, a few things (thankfully nothing breakable) would clatter down on the floor, but she barely registered it and just kept her gleeful stare on Silver instead.

"Does Dax-dad really let you build whatever you want? Not just important stuff? You must've made lots of fun stuff here then. I wanna try something fun too sometimes. Oh! Fun stuff equals fireworks, and I made something for Dax. Need a new fuse though. Saw some somewhere."

She started to rummage around, trying to figure out where she had found those that were used in the dynamite sticks that she had made for Luther. This wasn't her usual place and she had sorta just used what she had found when she ran into it, so she weren't sure where she had found most of them. Around a fourth she were aware of, as it had seemed weird and therefor fun, but stuff like fuses she weren't sure of. Weren't like home where she had them in a big jar on her table after all. This place were larger than her small workshop, and with lots of drawers and stuff to hide things in. But she'd find them eventually, then get on to set it into the last remaining fireworks display. Had to be ready for when Dax were, so that he could see what she'd originally come here to show him.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:38 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Truly? My family has quite the oral tradition as well, stories have been passed through my family for quite some time as well, even from the original founding of Troy, before its independence. I would be honored to trade my family's stories for yours while I'm here."

Vylia's tinkling laughter answered her.

"Dearie, I do believe you and my Daxter will get along quite fabulously.  He absolutely loves historical facts, and he's such an avid study-hound!  When he returned from his jaunt to Troy, he spent weeks reading up on so much of it - practically everything he could get his hooves on!  If you take even half as much interest in such things, then I know you'll be in good company."

And if the way he blushed furiously while he mentioned you was any indicator, then I'm sure he'll be quite eager for it.

"Truly, dearie... you're in good hooves here.  No need to worr-OH!  THERE you are!"

And, with Call leading him in... there he was.

In the time that had passed between them, Dax had indeed grown a bit.  His legs had added a bit of height to him, though he still wasn't as tall as his father... but he was certainly not straining to reach any top shelves.  His mane and tail had grown out a bit more, and still maintained the appearance of having barely seen a brush, though he really DID take care of it.  His barrel had expanded a bit, and was beginning to make him look more like the rock-miner he should be.

But some things never changed - like those eyes.  Dax's emerald green peepers were still bright, still alert, still almost luminous with intellect and wonder.  

With a polite bow, he presented his guest.  "Master Daxter has arrived, madam."

"What'd you need, Mother?  Did you have clothes for me to-..."

He stopped dead in his tracks as he saw Mystic.

His eyes widened, a blush crept onto his cheeks and he looked back and forth between Vylia and the lovely zebra as he tried to figure out what was going on.

"... m-mother?  Is this-"

Then he saw her necklace... and it was as if a switch had been flipped.  The slight blush now rose to practically a full-on glow, and the curious look he wore shattered under the smile of realization that now stretched across his features.  His entire body language changed, becoming far more open and acceptable.  And though she didn't know it, his heart lurched and began to race inside his barrel.

"... i-it's... I... y-you're... you're here.  I m-mean, you're really HERE..."

His voice was soft and reverent, as if he was afraid that she would blow away if he used even a little volume.  He blinked and let fly one of his most sheepish grins.

"... uhm... hiya."

He still sounded shy, but the look he wore said that he was pleasantly surprised to see her.

Vylia just sat back and smiled.  I thought so... love, at last, for my little Daxter.  He looks so adorable, all moony-eyed - like Father used to get for Mother.

Call simply waited for his next command... though he held a slight grin on his own muzzle.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:01 PM, Hazard Time said:

"W-welcome!  Have you come to ask questions of the spirits?  I sense...a great longing within you.  How may I and my sister help?"

Taps gave Ophelia a once-over look, then a smile as she apparently satisfied herself with the fortune teller's appearance.   She quickly brought forth a small pad of paper and a pencil, scribbling down a few words with her mouth before showing the notepad to Ophelia.

[Hi there!  My name is Taps, and I'm the mailmare here.  I noticed you have a wagon - did you bring any mail from the local office, or is this your personal carriage?] 

Her mismatched eyes almost shined with innocent wonder... but what Ophelia had seen from her 'quick peek', there was no way the mailmare was to be taken as naive.  The small blue pegasus awaited the reply, a smile on her muzzle.

There was far more to this little mare than met the eye - at least, that's the impression Ophelia was getting.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:01 PM, Hazard Time said:

"Who were they?  I do not remember any of them from the previous gallery.  Are they not Blackwaters?"

Beck strolled over and examined the painting with a curious eye.

"Hmmp.  Master Key, I can't say I do recognize them.  To be perfectly honest, I've seen the painting here before... but I suppose I merely gleaned by it; I don't frequent the garage, and so I haven't a clue as to whom they may be.  The only ones I know of that spend time in here would be Silver Studs the handimare, and Chuck List the head forepony for the quarry; perhaps one of them know?  Otherwise, aside from Master Dax slipping in here on occasion to be 'alone', I've seen no others in here."

He studied the painting a moment more, then sighed and looked at Key.  "I would be happy to escort you to either of them, should you be curious enough to seek answers... oh, and if you're still curious about Benny, then Mister List is the only pony I have ever witnessed driving the thing; for a guest, he might be enticed into a demonstration?  Unless, of course, you're ready to head back to your quarters?  Or Madam Carnelian's, to check in?"

Beck gave a small chuckle.  "In nothing but curiosity and admiration, would perhaps Master Key care to indulge a humble question from myself?  Madam Carnelian seems so very... astute and... calculating; if you were to simply pass along an idea of her personage and what being in her presence is like, what is it that you could enlighten me with about your patron?"

On 5/14/2019 at 4:39 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Are we gonna see Dax-Dad soon and show him the new fun things? I wanna see his face when they go kaboomie, and then go write down what I needed for the one he liked the bestest. Gotta have to remember that with things that goes Kaboom! Or things will just get too little or large. No fun, and real dangerous. Dangerous too to make animals part of important stuff, you're right. Yep. Meat eaters won't be happy if their munchy food gets extinct, and the forests will go all silent and boring. Who'd want that? Not me, I wanna see animals, and hear howling noises. It's a pretty sound. Does Dax-dad really let you build whatever you want? Not just important stuff? You must've made lots of fun stuff here then. I wanna try something fun too sometimes. Oh! Fun stuff equals fireworks, and I made something for Dax. Need a new fuse though. Saw some somewhere..."

So much energy... so much genius... so much consideration for others... so much inventive talent...

Silver mused over the little dynamo, trying her best not to just sweep her up in a rib-crushing hug right there on the spot.  NOW she had an idea of how Ziggy felt every day - how did the Doc deal with it?  All the same, it more bothered her that Blitz didn't have any family at all - it frankly broke her heart that such an awesome filly didn't have parents supporting her abilities, nor siblings to help her when she was feeling low.  

Blitz wasn't incapable of living alone - her mere existence proved she could take care of herself as far as surviving went - but to live without the love of a family?  In her eyes, this was a grave offense that Life had made against the little powderkeg, she thought.  One she'd be happy to help correct... but she didn't think she could just come out and say, 'hey, you're awesome, can I be your mom?'.  She felt conflicted as to how to approach her... but she was fairly certain that if she kept her attention on working in Silver's lab, the little dynamo would never be too far away.

THAT, she could do.  Happily, in fact.

"Fuses are in the yellow bin on the red-striped table, next to the safety matches.  And with what I saw out there, I'm sure Dax'll like whatever you have in store for him.  He's really nice, and he's always been a good kid.  You, uh..." she grinned, "seem pretty taken with him.  You looking to be his new best friend, or..?"

She left off, smiling knowingly - yet fairly certain the filly had no interest in colts yet, so what she was implying was just some good-natured teasing.  After all, isn't that one of the things family does to each other?

@Randimaxis

Mystic giggled shyly at Dax's antics, with a dainty hoof to her mouth and a look to the side as proper etiquette would require. Clearly I misjudged Lady Vylia, the prim and proper nature does not extend to her children and family. Nonetheless I must maintain composure in her presence.

She had a similar blush to Dax's, though not as pronounced. Despite how dreamy he is now.

"I... It's good to see you again... Dax." He's grown so much... he looks like the pictures of Father.

She gingerly approached and gave the Trojan informal bow, which as more of a head tilt over the crossed forelimb rather than a bow. "Your mother indicated that you'd be giving me a tour of your house," she giggled again, "Only fair since I already showed you a bit of mine." Got in SO much trouble for that, sneaking out after the concert, but it was worth it. She'd have to remember to thank her aunt for the distraction that let them get away.

She eyed the butler, at least he had acted more or less as she had predicted, already she liked his style.

She looked back into those eyes that had first caught her heart when she felt so alone, and gestured towards the door, "Shall we then?"

• Brohoof 1