Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open [RP] The Blackwater Quarry

Randimaxis

@@Randimaxis,

Hah, she Knew he had to be somewhere.

Okay fine, he had sorta spotted her first and made her take notice, and yes, she Had technically flown past that spot once already and missed it, but that was besides the point.

After she'd landed, he'd thanked her and given her a hug - Yey, hugs! - she stood and grinned widely at him. She liked it when she saw ponies smile that had been injured. It meant they were mended well, and that she were doing what she was supposed to right. Well, That, or the funeral director had done a good job, but... She didn't like to talk about Manehatten.

Shaking her head of the memories - which might look a little odd to the miner - she took a few seconds to get herself straight again before looking him over, moving a bit around and examining the gauzed wound. She wasn't gonna touch it unless he'd need help to replace it one of these days, and especially not now as it might stir the wounds, but she just had to give a look around the edges of the gauze to make sure nothing had gone through or started to spread. Necrosis was a serious thing after all.

"Heh, no problem. Are you feeling okay though? No mind-shattering pain? Loss of control over your backleg? Stuff like that?"

She had to check up on her patients to make sure things were doing okay around here. Wounds not properly packed in could get infections in the mines, medicine might not have worked properly, side effects, allergies, etc. etc. There were a lot of things that could go wrong if you didn't keep tab on things, and she was hired to make sure the miners were healthy, and wouldn't need to go to a hospital after all. Using a bit of time to check up on things was a part of that job.

"Oh, and another question: This thing with the embers: is it something that happen often, or rarely? I might need to get a few things prepared if it's the sort of thing that happens in waves."

Yes, yes. She knew she had asked Dax who would then ask his father about the papers, but eh, that was not guaranteed, and this miner might have been around long enough to know this little part of the bigger picture. Never hurt to have multiple sources after all.

• Brohoof 1

@@cwhip9

"how much of this is news to you Slapper?"

Slapper looked surprised.  

"Mercs?  Daddy Blackwater doesn't employ mercs; too unpredictable for his tastes.  Besides, that's what he's got US for... and we're nowhere near as expensive, either."

He gave a thoughtful glance toward the ceiling, obviously pondering a point. 

"Didn't think to check 'em for authorization, didja?  Nah, didn't think so... though if they HAD been in the mines without permission, and you would've told us, I coulda rounded up some of the other fellas, and we could've taken out your problems easy.  Of course," he grinned, "I'm sure you didn't miss the opportunity to show off for Silver, here."

Silver shot a warning look at Slapper, which he dutifully ignored.

"So... where were these 'mercs', exactly?  I mean, you said you two had dealt with them - so wherever they are, we could probably find out more from them directly, right?  You said they were waiting at the closed-off area?  They still there?  If so, we can start asking them questions.  But the colt..."

He shook his head, a look of woe crossing his features.

"That's gonna be touchy - especially if the boss knows about it already.  I know the kid's a brat, but I also know that Daddy Blackwater is REALLY protective of his family - REALLY protective.  If this is that big, then what are we gonna do?"

@@Blitz Boom 

"Heh, no problem. Are you feeling okay though? No mind-shattering pain? Loss of control over your backleg? Stuff like that?"

He grinned.  "Aside from the self-depreciating shame I keep feeling at not watching what I was doing, no - nothing I can't handle." 

"Oh, and another question: This thing with the embers: is it something that happen often, or rarely? I might need to get a few things prepared if it's the sort of thing that happens in waves."

"Well... the only time I can recall anything about embers was about... what, six years ago?... when one of the emerald veins intersected with a vein of Fire Opals.  Ever seen an uncut Fire Opal?  They glow like fire, and they're just as hot.  It takes certain types of magic to seal off the heat; otherwise, they set fire to anything too close to them."

He blinked, and gave Ziggy a curious look.

"Come to think of it... the sparks that caught me were kind of the same color as Fire Opals; did I accidentally find another vein of that stuff?  If that's the case, someone should tell the Boss; Fire Opals are really valuable, but really dangerous, too.  If that's what all this is about, then Mr. Blackwater should know..."

He then gulped, and a single bead of sweat rolled down his cheek.

"... as long as I don't have to be the one to tell him.  I've already had a heckuva day; I don't wanna top it off in his office."

@@Randimaxis, Cresent almost did a leap for joy on hearing that bit, he also knew if he told Slapper it wasn't because of the blown out fuse it would look as if he asked to get blown up. "well if the merk's are awake now they should be out about" he looked at the clock. He didn't have a watch on him, something he was starting not to like, then wondered if Silver would like a watch for her birthday...if he could remember he birthday....why was he looking at the clock again....oh that's right merk's

"leaving if not still working on the rope, because im a shy pony you know that slapper" Cresent smiled glad he could finally do that tp something instead of worrying about, well this.

"The most we could get out of them was sompony else hired them for mostly as a cop line. you know the ones that want you to turn away from a mistake they or there boss was trying to hide something" 

The bat pony then looked at the Slapper still in a serious tone "now this colt, what the likely hood of him using actual explosivs. I hear he keeps the house staff more then a hoof full of mess's in one way or another" 

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

"Hehe, I can tell him if you want. Or well, I can go ask the ones in the mine now, and Then i can tell him if it is shiny stones."

Ziggy wasn't as scared of Mr. Blackwater as some other ponies were. Sure, he could be kinda eerie with that pokerface of his, and since he was the boss, there was always the threat of getting fired hanging over their heads when he was around, but it wasn't that bad as far as she could see. Otherwise everypony would get fired left and right for random reasons, and she was sure that as long as you were nice and didn't waste his time, Mr. Blackwater was a nice pony in his own right.

...Granted, she was still waiting to see that side, but she was sure that deep down, or perhaps hidden in a drawer somewhere, was a nice side to him.

Half-delusional optimism aside though, she had something to do now whilst she waited to hear if somepony was at her office, looking for help. Her buzzer thing hadn't gone off yet, so she was sure there wasn't somepony there at this point in time at least. Though perhaps, just to make sure, she should have a looksie before going towards the mine? Yeah, better safe than sorry sounded like a good idea. And she could pick up a few things to bring, in case she ran into an injured miner whilst At the mine. Couldn't hurt at least.

"I'll go ask, okay? Oh, and remember to come by my office again tomorrow so I can replace your bandage, okay? Don't want it to get infectious and smelly."

She didn't wait on a reply before she had risen into the air and zoomed off, heading towards her office to check up on things. In case there wasn't anypony there, she would go directly to the mine afterwards. Or well, after preparing a few things, but eh, details.

@@cwhip9

Slapper looked a tad confused, but Chuck perked right up.

"Eh, youse pones keep frosty - I'm gonna see if dose udder pones you tied up're still dere.  Youze!" He pointed at Drill. "C'mon wit me.. I ain't too keen 'bout gettin' blown up; youse can watch m'flank."

As Chuck and Drill left, Silver tried to recall all they had been through.

"So, we get inside and see these ponies there, threatening us away.  I'd never seen them before, and neither had Cress.  We kicked their flanks... well, not so much as actually kicked their flanks, but we did put them down for the count, between us.  Then we got down towards where we needed to be... then the explosion..."

She shook her head, confused.  "I have no idea what this could be..."

"now this colt, what the likely hood of him using actual explosivs. I hear he keeps the house staff more then a hoof full of mess's in one way or another" 

Slapper shook his head.  

"That kid's trouble, no doubt of it... but I never thought he could be THAT kind of trouble.  His pranks are mean, but I've never known them to be lethal.  Granted, I'm only going with what I've heard, so no guarantee there... but I will say one other thing to consider;"

He gave Crescent a knowing look.  

"... we haven't found Redd yet, either."

@@Blitz Boom

"I'll go ask, okay? Oh, and remember to come by my office again tomorrow so I can replace your bandage, okay? Don't want it to get infectious and smelly."

"Will do!"  The miner waved again as Ziggy took off.

Zipping back towards her office, it momentarily passed through her head that there had been... something else?... she was doing.  But, if it was important, she'd remember soon enough - if not, well then it must not have been all that important, right?

However, before she could try to zero in on what it may have been, she noticed Redd Handid, pacing outside her office with a worried look on his face.  Seeing her, he began to frantically wave her down.

"Ziggy, THANK CELESTIA!  Listen, there's been an explosion at the mines - and I think Crescent and Silver were in there!  I saw Chuck and the others carry them to Shed #10 - and I don't know if they were moving!  I've been searching for you; you're SUPPOSED to be on post here!  Where have you-"

He shook his head.

"Never mind!  They're this way!  Come ON!"

He began to gallop towards the sheds.

@@Randimaxis,

It was something with... Shiny? Some kind of deal with that... Oh well, she'd remember soon enough she'd be- Hey, who's that?

Ziggy had almost been at her office when she noticed Redd trying to flag her down so to speak and she zoomed towards him in a whirlwind-made-from-triangles pattern, landing in front of him just as he started to speak about things, namely why she wasn't there when he had arrived.

She pointed towards the sign on the door whilst those first few words went out, where it stood that she was away for a bit and to push the buzzer if they needed her, and she was about to add in a few words about it too... And then he told her Why he had been looking for her, and everything else didn't matter anymore.

"An explosion? Meep!"

It was a blur what happened after that if anypony was watching. Within 10 seconds she had locked herself in, taken the bag she kept in the corner in case she had to get to somepony instead of them getting to her, gotten out, locked the door, and zoomed away towards shed #10. She caught up with Redd before he made it there, but she didn't stop to say anything and just kept flying past him before finally arriving at the sheds, her bag firmly gripped in her muzzle and a worried/urgent look going over her.

@@cwhip9,

Inside the shed, they'd perhaps get a bit of a shock when the door suddenly opened and the doctor rushed in, looking around with panic and not really settling on anything or anypony with any real recognition. Including the two she had been told were hurt.

"Where are they? Redd said there was an explosion, and Silver and Crescent was carried away, and... And... Where?"

Usually Ziggy was able to hold her cool and be cheerful even in bad moments, but an explosion was a serious thing that could make somepony severely hurt, or even... no! She refused to believe that. They were alive, she was sure. She just had to get to them, and quick, before something went horribly wrong.

• Brohoof 2

@@Blitz Boom,

@Randimaxis,

As the door was kicked open the bat pony ducked and winced a little at the sudden incress of volume from the docter. He got back up putting a hoof on the mares shoulder.

"I think the docter should be nicer to doors for a pony that was just blown up" The bat brony trotted back to his bed "too our knowledge things are..."

he paused mounting his bed again wincing at the stiff mussecls

"fine. so far, asiade from a bit of a head ach. I hope its a head ach, at least silver here hasnet sleped me yet so I think I'm still good" he said looking at Silver to the doctor back to Silver "unless you already slapped me and I don't remember it" he said. He had to be honest and say he was glad the doctor came in then.....until he remembered how long they have been sitting there discussing things. looking at the doctor he said

"so wait, Redd brought you here, I'm surprised I haven't seen him yet and give his two bits yet behind you, or is he on his way?" It did seem odd for Redd still not showing up yet. It didn't make him look good the way Cresent was forming the picture of what's been going on so far. As he pondered this a sudden realization hit him, when ever a lot of hey hit the fan even if the doc was eating or something she would be that bat out of hell to fix other pony's up faster then you could eat a cupcake in one bite...why wait?

And where in the Hey was red if the doc was so easy to get ahold of?

Edited by cwhip9
  • Brohoof 1

@@Blitz Boom

@@cwhip9

"... *pant, pant*... Doc... tor... *pant, pant*... wait... for... *pant, wheeze*... me..."

Redd no sooner made it in the door when he simply plopped down onto the hardwood floor, covered in sweat and panting like he'd just run a marathon or five.  Huffing and puffing, he lowered his head and tried desperately to catch his breath, gasping in air in great, whooping gulps.

Slapper chuckled.  "S'matter, Redd?  As hard as YOU work, you should've easily kept up with the Doc, am I right?"

Redd, still gasping for air, looked up at the smarmy unicorn.

"... very... funny... *gasp*... Slapper... why don't... you... *wheeze*... stick some... Poison... Joke... *gasp*... where the... sun... doesn't..."

Slapper waved the last bit of Redd's comment away.  "Yeah, yeah.  Great comeback.  No really, I mean that."  He looked back at Crescent and Silver, rolling his eyes.  

Upon examination, Ziggy found that Crescent had a very mild concussion, a pulled leg muscle, and some singed fur - otherwise, he was fine.  Silver had only a few scrapes and bruises, easily seen to.  Both were a bit harrowed by their experience, but neither was seriously injured, praise Celestia.

As Redd caught his breath, he eventually stood up and, after gathering himself, he addressed the two survivors.

"Now, perhaps somepony would mind telling me what in the sand hill is going on here!?"

@@cwhip9,

@@Randimaxis,

Ziggy let out a small sigh of relief at the sight of Crescent and Silver up and running, but she didn't say anything as she started to go over them like a pink and white tornado, examining them in nearly every way to make sure they were okay, excluding the things that really needed a bit of privacy, and a few who seemed a bit far fetched.... And would require either a scanner, or an operating table.

After a bit of going over them, and handling the pressing injuries, Ziggy finally closed her bag and zonked out of her doctor mode and back into her happy smiles.

"What's going on is that I have two healthy enough ponies standing here and not smouldering piles of ash. All I know, and all that matters to me. Oh, and that Redd should be... Hehe, I guess you know."

She had heard Crescent's question about Redd before, but not really taken much notice of it as she was busy making sure the two poor ponies weren't bleeding internally or had enough cracked bones to make them jellyfish. She had meant to answer Crescent's questions, and now she had, along with the other one  There was just the thing that in the meantime Redd had showed up, talked and likely all had seen him at this point. And he had been one of the question makers, there was that too. Oh well. Nothing to do about that. Besides, not the first time she had missed something obvious cause she was taken in by her work, and she doubted it'd be the last.

Suddenly, she stretched over and dragged Crescent in with her right front leg and hugged him.

"I'm just happy that nothing serious happened to one of my many friends."

Then with the left, she stretched and took hold in Silver, taking her in for a big group hug.

"Both of them will be a-okay."

It was debatable how well she knew either of them, and if she could consider them more than acquaintances or work buddies if you looked at it technically, but as she had said earlier: Everypony was her friend, and it scared her every time one got ill or hurt. And it made her happy when she could help them get better in any way. Be it a small cut or a large wound, it mattered little. What did matter was...

"Oh right, what were we talking about?"

• Brohoof 1

@@Blitz Boom, @@Randimaxis,

Cresent was surprised by the sudden hug, something about being hugged in front of your crush by another mare made it kind of awkward, if it was any other pony. He was always glad of Ziggy, she was the life in the mine at blackwater, with the amount of accident's he'd pull other pony's out of it was one of the few reasons he still worked there, well that and Silver but that's another story. Hugging the mares back enjoying the contort he remembered how they got in this mess. The Prime trigger for all the domino's that brought him here had just trotted in.

He let go of the two mares now looking at Redd. "something tells me this wasn't in your plans for the day. last seeing me just telling you about no mane and now here I am in the cot somehow not blown up, I don't suppose you still have your explosive key, we were just putting things together now just to make sure it was just a mix up of a bad match"

Cresent was remembering the conversation the two had last..Redd seemed oddly chipper and now, he was a raging volcaneo, or that was the adrenain pumping through the pony right now from running. Any pony could tell he wasn't all to happy to see the two of them in this state, he didn't want to push the questioning yet. Redd being exhausted from running and Cresent still feeling a pounding head ach from the explosion. So at the most an argument would break out....hopfully....Ponys have been killed for less and by less which still didn't settle things

• Brohoof 1

@@cwhip9

@@Blitz Boom 

"something tells me this wasn't in your plans for the day. last seeing me just telling you about no mane and now here I am in the cot somehow not blown up, I don't suppose you still have your explosive key, we were just putting things together now just to make sure it was just a mix up of a bad match"

Redd's eyes narrowed to slits.

"Are you possibly insinuating something?Redd seethed. "Because if you ARE, then I would be more than happy to make a few insinuations of my own, you nocturnal nitwit!"

Redd puffed up a bit; despite his somewhat foppish appearance, he could actually come across as a pony who could hold his own in a scrap... and he seemed ready to prove that fact.

"I make my way here after fetching the Doctor as soon as I had heard about what happened, and YOU want to try to accuse me of... of... well, I don't know WHAT yet, but I am having some serious issues with your tone, Crescent!  You had BEST rein in that attitude, and keep in mind I can have your flank thrown out of here SO FAST-"

"Whoa, Redd!  Wait wait wait!  Please, it was just... it wasn't..." Silver sighed, then closed her eyes and took a deep breath.  Opening them, she began again. "What Cress was TRYING to say, Redd, is that there may be a saboteur here, and he simply wanted to be certain you still had your explosive shed key - he didn't mean anything by it!"

Redd looked at Crescent with flint and steel in his gaze, then at Silver with a bit of contempt, then back at Crescent.

"... he didn't, eh?  Well, that had BEST be what he meant - I'M the forepony; YOU'RE the worker, not the other way around.  You'd do best to remember that, Batty!"

Redd yanked a ghostly key from his pocket, flashed it at them enough for it to be unmistakable, then dropped it back into his inner pocket - the same place Chuck and Slapper kept their own keys.

"And HERE is my key, for your information.  Had you asked first..."

Redd gave a heated huff, then seemed to calm down a bit.

"... never mind; I'm CERTAIN you won't make that mistake again, will you Crescent?"

"Okay, that's great and all, and I'm sure they'll make an epic storybook about it... but it means we're back to square one; we ALL have our keys, an' there's only THREE of 'em-"

At that, Redd let out a snide, barking laugh.

"What?  Whaaaaat?"

"YOU, Slap-Happy, are a Class A IDIOT.  Did you forget that Luther Blackwater has his own key?"

Slapper took a cue from his name, and slapped his forehead with his hoof.

"Holy Hoofnagel, he's actually right!  The Boss has HIS OWN KEY!  Wait..."

Slapper's face became plastered with worry.

"So... would that make The Boss... a suspect?"

"Whoa!"  "What!?"  "Hunh?"

Even Crunch said something on that one.

"Now just hold on, everypony - let's cool our heels... well, not so much as make our heels cooler, but let's calm down and assess this properly.  What we could use is proof before prognosis, right?"

"Oh, YES Silver, by ALL means, go right ahead - 'oh, ex-CUUUUSE me Mr. Blackwater, sir, but did you try to blow up your employees?'  Yes, DO that, if you like!"

"Look, what we need is somepony who isn't directly involved in this to find out from The Boss - they might have the best chance to find things out for us, y'know?  Is there anypony who-..."

Slowly, all eyes in the shed turned to look at Ziggy.

@@Randimaxis,

@@cwhip9,

"Huh? You want Me to ask Mr. Blackwater about his key?"

The two she had taken in for a hug had managed to wriggle free, and now all she had to do with her idle hooves was to scratch her head a bit over what to do about this. She still wasn't entirely sure what was going on here, beyond a loooot of negative feelings, but from what she could grasp they wanted her to go to Mr. Blackwater and find out if he, or his key, had anything to do with the explosion.

"Okay, I can do that. Might be that Mr. Blackwater lost his key or it got copied, and if somepony bad is taking things to make explosions around other ponies in the mine with it, I'm sure that he'd like to know. Besides, wouldn't be the first time I've seen a key being nicked, misplaced or replicated. It happens Way often back home in Las Pegasus. This one time, my dad lost a-

Oh right, sorry, trailed off a bit."

Ziggy giggled a little under her breath, then focused her attention over on Redd, trying to see if she could counter his angry spell with a big smile. It didn't always work, but it was such a shame to be angry when there was so many things to be happy about, so she'd give it a try at least.

"I don't think Mr. Blackwater would have anypony hurt in the mines himself at least. He's a little... Strict and sorta creepy, sure, but he wouldn't hurt his own workers or the mines, right? I mean, wouldn't that be bad for profits and all that?"

• Brohoof 1

@@Blitz Boom, @@Randimaxis,
Cresent blinked a bit tryiong to see how their boss would fit in this picture at all. The mercs said they were hired from an outside party, red was already pissed but IF he did try to blow up cresent it was still a sloppy cover up..."maybe we should tired a little lighter guys. if our boss has something to do with the blow up the only logical reason I could see him doing that is a purpose self test on the mine. I hear it happen in the military but a Mine? no an inspector coming down would be enough to keep things on a good record"

The bat pony laid back down looking at the ceiling "asking our boss about the key would be a risky but safe thing, but I think its an actual outside saboteur if no of us, probably another mining company of some sort". The bat pony sat back up looking At Chuck "what the odds of another company purposely sabotaging another in this business. I know Blackwater isn't a monopoly but even we have completion with other mines right?"

Cresent looked at red "and Slappers right forpony or not we're just putting this puzzle of ours together" it was half a warning half truth. Redd was close to being placed as 70% guilty after his outburst. Cresent hoped it would decresse

• Brohoof 1

@@cwhip9

@@Blitz Boom

They all stood there for a moment, simply thinking.  Even Redd looked as if he was seriously considering the evidence they had so far.  After all, if it wasn't Mr. Blackwater himself, then it was someone who was costing him BITS; that would be useful to point out to the Boss.  

"Vertigo Mines - they've always tried to surpass our emerald intake, right?"

"Moron!  They call themselves 'Vertigo' because they mine HIGH places!"

"Oh, yeah... well, what about Digger?"

"He quit da biz; he sed he diddnt have da chops fer it no more.  Tough call - decent stallion."

"Hmph.  Okay..."

"Guys?  This still doesn't answer the question of how the colt ties into it; I'm kinda concerned for the little guy..."

The three foreponies, for the first time Cress, Silver or Ziggy had ever seen, all spoke at once:

"DON'T BE."

All three looked at each other... then Chuck smiled.  Redd and Slapper simply exchanged inquisitive glances.  Chuck lifted an eyebrow.  Redd's muzzle slowly lit up with a wicked grin, and he nodded.  Slapper looked back and forth between them for a moment before whatever it was dawned on him too... and he smiled broadly, nodding.  Chuck gave a final nod, and turned back to face the others.

"We got us a plan, but we're gonna do it t'morrah; too late ta do it t'nite."

The other two foreponies, still grinning, both nodded.  With such, all three began heading for the door.

"Well, if you will all excuse me - I need my rest."

"Gotta go; the gates aren't going to lock themselves, you know..."

"Arrite den - I'll see alla you ponies t'morrah; meet here 'bout five, we'll tell ya."

With their goodbyes said, they each went out the door.

Silver scratched her head.  "That was crazy; not so much as in straitjacket crazy, but more like surreal crazy.  Did you two make any sense of all that?"

@@Randimaxis,

@@cwhip9,

"Not really, but it sounds like they want to meet up again tomorrow? Perhaps they will make more sense then?"

There were a few titbits she had gotten during the last few minutes - which was mostly around the key and the colt, whom she assumed would be the Blackwater colt she hadn't seen before - and then the three of them acting a bit weird at the end. Sort of like an inside joke that was waaay above her head to get.

Oh well, they had said tomorrow, so no reason to worry about things today. She had a few other things to spent the time of her long workday on still, so she'd go over this when they were there and talked sense.

Even though the shifts of the miners and others changed around, Ziggy's shift wasn't done until the last pony had left the mines safely and things started to tone down around here, and even then she was on call in case there were some all-night work getting done that required her help, even if she technically was off the clock.

It wasn't often she had seen there being late night stuff like that, and though the long shifts and option for a call-in would have a cramper on most ponies social life, she really didn't have any that could be disrupted, so she didn't think much on it. She was more of a free spirit who could be around others for a good deal of time doing things, but in the end, she was still a doctor, and if there was a wound to mend then that'd take priority.

Besides, she considered the talks she could have with those she helped to be somewhat of a social life in itself. You could get all sorts of friends that way, and frankly, it was a more reliable way of getting to know somepony than her usual tactics. Which was swooping down from a sky and tackle-hugging somepony. Not everypony took it that well after all.

Speaking of not everypony taking things well, perhaps she should go check if her buzzer wasn't working right anymore? Redd might just have ignored it, but if he pressed it... Well, the magic should work in letting her know that she were looked for, no matter where she were, unless something had gotten wonky with it. She hoped that wasn't the case though, as she wouldn't think it would be easy to magic up a new connection, and Mr. Blackwater would perhaps find it irritating in case they'd need the one other button connected to this to get the right frequency going. A buzzer that was currently in his office as far she knew. Though, It was mobile and she hadn't seen it since she got the tag on the first time, so it was hard to be sure, and she couldn't really remember if it was a buzzer or something else... But the whole *frequency* thing still sounded right, so there was that.

"So... What're you gonna do now? Nothing too stressful I hope? It can't be good for your health right now."

She was addressing the both of them with the somewhat concerned question. They might be okay in a *stable* sort of way, but getting away that simple from an explosion could mean that stability was walking on a fine line, and doing something that would stress them too much could open up tissue that had just managed to stay together, nerves could start to scream, or they could pass out from the pressure that might build up in their heads.

it might just be paranoia, sure, but you never knew with these sort of things, and she was rather be overprotective than having to see the damage happen.

• Brohoof 1

@@Blitz Boom, @@Randimaxis, "well aside from sleeping I don't think there is much we could do after being blown up. And maybe guess work what in the hey is really going on here. It just bugs me we are still back at square one" said the bat pony two the doctor and his crush. "we know its not somepony on the inside, as far as the explosive bit....but we also know none of our bosses' were that angry at us for fixing a bloody light"

the bat pony then thought on the three of them speaking in unison, it was shocking, and creepy, and somewhat funny when the colt was brought up. It reminded him of story he herd about Mafia's doing the same thing before a hit was going down, or a farm family agreeing that the littlest one needs a lesson. "as to what we saw with that unison part I think its best we let them worry about it, we are in over our heads as it is already, speaking off which"

The batpony turned towards Ziggy

"Doc how long do you think we should be here resting, I kind of want to get back to answer's. Then again something tells me that wont be happening soon will it?"

• Brohoof 1

@@cwhip9

@@Blitz Boom

>WHOOOOOOOO!<

The shrill whistle was the sign of the end of another day in the Blackwater Quarry.  Seems like today was very... interesting, to say the least. 

Crescent, the bat-pony who acts as a guide into the deep mines, has stumbled upon some kind of conspiracy!  What's worse?  He seems to have gotten his crush, Silver Studs the unicorn engineer, into the same hot water he's in!  Nopony seems to be certain exactly who is at the bottom of this mystery, but there's about to be three foreponies who'll shed a little light on the subject...

And Doc Zinger?  Her saving of the miner was quite a start to her day, and covering for Dax Blackwater might actually turn out to be a good idea... of course, she forgot about her meeting at the Manor, but there's NO WAY that would come back to haunt her... is there?

And so, with this first day/chapter complete, the quarry goes quiet.  Miners return to their homes or the barracks, whichever they choose, and the quarry is silent.  Ponies sleep, time passes, and dreams are had.  All is right with Equestria, and all is right with the Blackwater Quarry.

[Time Passes]

>WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!<

Morning again!  Time to face the day, and score another load of gems for the Blackwaters!

There are notices posted up all over the quarry - there is a mandatory meeting of ALL employees in the main yard, today at 2 PM, and the paper is signed by Luther Blackwater himself.  Chances are, it would be a BAD idea to not be there...

The daily routine begins again - but will it be routine for long?

@@Randimaxis,

@@cwhip9,

(before the workday ended)

"I think you're fine, but be safe and wait doing anything stupid until tomorrow at least, okay? The day's nearly over for you anyway, and it's not good if you get a trauma right after another. Better safe than sorry."

With that, she had given them both a quick hug more before they had a chance to stop her, wished them a good night, and went to her office to finish the last bits of her own work. An hour later or so, her time was done and she went to a cloud she had found stuck in a tall tree about a half mile away to sleep for the night. It had worked well as her lodging for the entirety of her stay in the area, though she had fallen out once before.

(the new day)

"Ooooh, where Is he?"

Ziggy flew around slowly above the quarry, looking for Dax, just like she had been doing for the past hour or so.

After a nights sleep, she had awakened and prepared to take a morning flight before work when a light went on in her head and she remembered two things that she had sweated out the day before. The first were how she had told the burned miner that she'd check in on whatever or not it had actually been crystals he had burned himself on and not embers. While the second - and frankly more important in her mind - were that she had been supposed to meet up with Dax yesterday before the news of the explosion had flushed out everything from her head.

So instead she had taken off to work early and begun fluttering around, keeping an eye out for the striped Blackwater as she made some slow rounds around the place. She was not used to this low speed, and it was frankly made her a bit jittery to not be able to get rid of some energy, but while she could hear fine and see what she had to when she sped up and zig-zagged around the place, she could keep a better ee out by flying linearly, so she'd just have to live with it.

She felt all sorts of guilty that she had forgotten to meet up with him, and in the process hadn't noticed the time, nor how close she were to the whistle. So when it went off with her being about a meter from it, it nearly scared the feathers off her and she went down, missing two ponies by swerving off about halfway, but ending up with a less than gracious landing on the ground in the process.

After a few seconds of the dust settling and her head stopping to spin, Ziggy got up and shook herself a bit from the dirt, thankful that it hadn't rained last night so she'd be a mud-monster right now.

"Wauh, that thing is looooud."

She could still feel a minor ringing in her ears, but beyond that she was fine enough. Good thing she hadn't landing on anything metal.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

A little pegasus mare, about the size of a filly, was on her way to the mines. She was about to start her first day, though the job seemed as though they felt she couldn't do much, seeing as how she was in charge of cleaning the supplies. She adjusted her black beanie cap and puffed her chest, trying to make herself feel a little more confident than how she actually was feeling. 

She was trying her best to live on her own, after moving out of her parents' house when she found the Blackwater Quarry, an emerald mine. she needed bits to pay rent for her new apartment and to pay for pet food for her pet white fox kit, Winter Light. She had met a rather intimidating stallion by the name of Luther Blackwater, appearing to be the head of the, what it appears to be, family establishment.  he proposed her with the idea of working in the mines, and she was to follow all orders given to her by either himself or Chuck List, a grey earth pony stallion with a black mane. he was the pony who organized all the things ponies are supposed to do, tasks they are given, how they do them, and such forth. 

She grabbed a cloth and put on an apron she brought from home, so as to not get too much dirt on her coat than she would allow, and got straight to work polishing all the pick axes, carts, and so on.

• Brohoof 3

@@Blitz Boom

Ziggy got her bearings back after a moment, then checked on hoof for a bit.  She searched the grounds while making her rounds, trying to catch even a glimpse of Dax; no dice.  He was nowhere to be seen.  In fact, it didn't seem like any of the Blackwaters were present yet - of course, it WAS still early; maybe he was still being a sleepy-puss?

Still, it nagged at her that she'd forgotten about meeting with him yesterday... but with wounded from an explosion to tend to, it was understandable.  She wanted a chance to apologize and explain... 

Over and over, she kept seeing these fliers - on posts, on doors, on the bulletin board, on the carts... seemed like there was something on them that should be seen, but Ziggy could get to that later.  Right now, checking by the office might be good, as Dax might have been waiting for her.

He wasn't, but another one of those fliers was - on her door, even.  It said:

Mandatory meeting for ALL employees at 2:00 PM in the Main Yard.

Refusal to comply (without excellent reason) will

end in termination of your job.

NO EXCUSES.

It was signed at the bottom by Luther Blackwater himself.  Might be important to NOT forget this...

As she was finishing reading, Knee Slapper came up beside her and grinned.

"Hiya, Doc!  Say... you wouldn't happen to have any gauze you can spare, wouldja?"

@@Chibi Rainbowgate 

"You there!  Cleaning waif!"

Chibi looked around; she was the only cleaner on duty this early, it seemed.  Over towards her came a rather handsome red unicorn with a wild yellow mane - one look at his expression, though, turned the whole idea sour.  He looked to be irritated already, and didn't seem to be the kind who would laugh it off.

"Yes, YOU!  I find it imperative to get your attention because I require some of your cleaning towels - so, as I am your forepony, you'll give me what I require.  I'll need about... five, I think."

If he took five, that would leave her with none - and she'd have to speak to somepony about replacements; she had only the basest of ideas about where to be on her first day.  This pony looked ready to fire her already!

"Well?  Chimera got your tongue?  Snap to it!"

Chibis usually calm demeanor turned into one of a panicked, skittish as a mouse scrambling one. She lifted her head and, shivering, swallowed a little and nodded to him. "O-of course I can give you some sir, b-but I can't give you five, if I give you that many I wont have any for myself, and I n-need them to clean. I'm sorry I I made you u-upset," the little mare hurriedly grabbed some towels and gave them to him, and got straight to work. If she kept quiet long enough then maybe he would go away, not that she meant to be rude or thought of him being unpleasant to be around-ok maybe just a tad bit intimidating-but she didn't do good under pressure.

And so, she took to the task of one by one, cleaning the mining tools, and while doing so, not noticing the stallions glare that followed her. She flew up to the mine shaft of the carts and waited for them to be unloaded, along with the supplies.

She hated this. She was so afraid of that stallion right now that her wings were visibly shaking and her eyes started to well up with tears as she scrubbed hurriedly to make the job faster and to keep her mind busy.

• Brohoof 1

@@Chibi Rainbowgate 

As she stood there, on the brink of tears, a hoof carefully came to rest on her shoulder.  Though she may have jumped out of her coat, it was only a small blue pegasus mare - about the same size as she was herself.  Her white mane and tail were a bit scraggly, but not in bad shape.  There was a cutie mark of a steel wagon wheel on her flank - no clue what it meant, but still something recognizable. 

The mare looked concerned, and gave her a look that seemed to ask if Chibi was okay... which was interesting, as her eyes were mismatched.  One lilac, one brown.  But the fact that there was care behind those eyes was evident; Chibi was getting the feeling that she had absolutely nothing to worry about with this one.

Taps had already heard about Redd's treatment of the poor thing... but then again, she also knew what he and his two friends were up to,and WHY Redd needed those towels.  Still, it was no reason to treat this sweet one in such a manner on her first day at the Quarry - after all, Taps herself had been here for years; she knew how things could be when they got bad.

Again, Taps tried to convey a look of genuine concern to Chibi.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

"Hehe, now I got two."

Ziggy poked a bit to the slab of paper on her door.

Yesterday, before things started to go Really hectic, she had found one stuck to her door as well and taken it inside, putting it up to the calendar so she was less likely to forget about it - she didn't to get fired for something as silly as not showing after all - but it seemed like whoever hung these up around here must've thought it had blown off or something, cause there were a good and fresh one here now to remind her that she really had to show up for this meeting.

Oh well, she'd just let it hang here then this time. Would mean she had two reminders, and with something important like that it certainly couldn't hurt, right? Like she'd said to Silver and Crescent: Better safe than sorry.

She let out a minor sigh as she looked it over again. At least this would be one thing she could get right with A Blackwater, even if said Blackwater wasn't the one she had stood up last night.

After the crash she had given it a few twists and turns more around, looking whilst getting her slightly aching wings in motion again, before finally giving up for the time being and going to where she actually had to be right now. Namely at work, checking if there was any messages before having a check over inventory and then finding the ember-burned pony who needed a new gauze eventually.

She had been in the process of unlocking the door to the office when Knee Slapper wandered up to her and asked her for... Extra gauze? That was a pretty weird thing to need outside of here.

"Hey there Slapper, and goodmorning. Gauze you say? Sure, i got some, but I'm not sure if there's any spare. I have somepony who needs a new one later, but then again... Did get a crate yesterday of it..."

Pondering things for a bit she just shrugged her shoulders and opened the door instead, wandering over to the desk where the crate stood behind. The shelf were filled with a few good rolls, but there had been some more as far as she recalled, and in cases like that, she had to return them to the storage, unless there was another use for it.

Rummaging through a bit, she rose up and put down a roll of gauze, much like the large ones on the shelves.

"I got this that couldn't get on the shelf or be used for the poor miner who got burned yesterday, so it's spare. You'd still have to sign this though."

Reaching down again, she took up a release form for him to sign.

"Dunno what you need it for, but Mr. Blackwater would have my hooves if something started to get lost or something."

Ziggy hadn't really taken notice if Slapper had even gone inside, much less if he was waiting for the paper she got in her muzzle, though if he was not wanting to leave a trail he likely hadn't gone inside. He'd know about the camera considering how long he'd been here, so it was likely not gonna be a problem. Unless he sped in and grabbed it while she were looking for the release forms, but he'd have to hope he was pretty savvy at running then, cause you didn't get away from Doc Zinger that easy.

• Brohoof 1

@@Blitz Boom

Slapper's face fell a bit, but he kept the smile on it, all the same.  He leaned in, trying to be both charming and silly at the same time; that attitude was Slapper's specialty, and it frequently got him out of hot water.  Since Slapper was the resident prankster, he spent a lot more time getting out of hot water than most ponies realized.

"Aaaaaaaaactually, I was kinda hoping I could just... y'know, BORROW some?  I mean, I'll even wash it and bring it back - so it won't be missing from inventory.  It's..." he sighed, "... kind of a thing that it not be on record or anything.  In case we actually get caught doing what we're doing.  C'mon, Doc... be a pal?"  

Great.  He was wanting to 'borrow' what was effectively company property without leaving a trail to follow.  What's more, he was talkative enough, yet he hadn't actually entered the office.  It seemed suspicious.

"If it helps any, it'll mean less capacity for anypony getting hurt if we've got it." 

And now the vague reference to getting hurt - this just seemed to get better and better as time went on.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

"Well..."

Ziggy chewed a little on it, trying to figure out what she was going to do here.

On the bad side, it Did seem really odd that he didn't want to sign, or get inside so the cameras could see him. That, combined with the stories she heard some snippets about from the others... Made her worry some that whatever he had planned was going to end biting her, and several others in the flank.

On the plus side though, he Did say that it would make less ponies get hurt, which was what she were doing anyway so... Perhaps it was a good thing? She really wanted to know, but at the same time, she figured it was perhaps best if she had no idea. At least that way she could convince herself that it hadn't been possible to stop him if things backfired.

Thinking it over a little more she slowly let down the paper, picked up the gauze and walked over to him, looking up into the camera in the process and hoping that it could take sound just in case so she at least had his words to work with if she got under the microscope.

"Okay, but promise me that it's not going to end up with anypony getting hurt, okay? And watch out for the pins in the roll. You need them to make it close up, not poke somepony with."

• Brohoof 1