Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open [RP] The Blackwater Quarry

Randimaxis

@Randimaxis

Seeing Dax get upfront and raising his voice viaibly surprised Blitz when it happenes. She had only met the shy, friendless Dax who didn't seem to want to step on anypony's hooves, and nothing really of this confident, confrontional pony. It was kinda cool to see actuallu, and she would've reacted more on it for now, if it wasn't because of something Becks had said that got to her.

"I'm not crazy!"

Might be that Dax had already sorted things with the loudmouthed butler, and she'd hear a great deal of things about her being reckless, as okay, perhaps it had been a tiny bit too much, even though it were harmless, but she wouldn't accept being called crazy, which were one of the two reasons she raised her voice and stomped a little in the ground now.

"And I'm not evil either you... You... Big meaniepants!"

That were the other one that got to her. Dax might remember why, as she had back then told him about how she was going to become a famous scientist so that she couldn't avoid somepony stepping forward who knew her in the years that were gone from her memories. It was all about getting her name out there, but in a good way.

Why a good way? Because nopony were going to admit to knowing a crazy scientist who did mean stuff, and then she'd never find out anything. Or, she'd have ponies attacking her for being some kind of threat all the time. Probably both.

She pulled her tongue out at the mean stallion who had said this sort, and instead trotted over to the only one here she knew was a nice one. That being Dax. Other butler - Was it Call? Maybe - and Key she didn't know about yet, but they seemed okay though.

When the mention of a potential trip around and seeing this place came forth however, the bit of grumpy that had gone over her seemed to melt away, and she jumped in place so the metallic wings bounced a little with a big grin on her face.

"Oh! Oh! I wanna see the place, yey! Will be all sorts of fun I bet, and after that, I can show you where your fireworks and stuff are too! Hehe, this'll be a fun day."

===============================

@Randimaxis
@Mentis Soliloquy
@cwhip9

"...Food? Right, that's why I got here. Yes please."

Ziggy bounced off towards the kitchen where Scarlet had went to see if she could help somehow. Likely, their new cook didn't need the help, but Crescent could sure use her out of his mane right now, as he spoke with the other bat pony.

She really wanted to as well, as she were curious about Echo and wanted to hear both where she were from, and to wait for the right time to pounce on her like she were a freshly baked muffin. Just instead of taking a bite out of her, she'd aim for a hug.

But, the way it looked with the two, it was probably best if she gave them a bit of privacy instead. Gave them the chance to speak about whatever bat ponies did.

She had taken notice of the potential flirting, and how Crescent seemed to act like he liked this new mare a bit, but it hadn't registered as romantic in her mind, just being awkward and friendly, along with perhaps a surprise thing?

She hadn't seen a single bat pony outside of this quarry since she left Las Pegasus, where ones occasionally went around in the busy night life, so it seemed they were quite rare, which made meeting another one strange, even for them? Potentially, but it seemed rude to ask about it. Or at least now. Perhaps later, when everything got a bit clearer and they had gotten some food in their tummies, they could look at that, and see what came from there.

For now though, she were at the kitchen foor and slipped her head in through the crack, looking over where Scarlet likely were rummaging about for now.

"Need help Scarlet?"

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis @@Blitz Boom

As the argument heated up, Low found himself shrinking further and further away, his ears flattening against his head.  He didn't like it when ponies raised their voices, and the amount of anger in the stallion's voice startled him.  Why couldn't they just discuss this all in calm tones?  He didn't feel welcome here, and the longer the argument carried on, the less and less comfortable he became.

Thankfully, it ended, and after hearing Dax addressing him with a much less belligerent tone, the tightness in Low Key's chest faded.  "You can, um, call me Key.  I-I-I don't mind," he stammered, closing the distance back towards the other stallion.  In a way, he was right about his name.  Low had always been the first half and most obvious part of his name, but it didn't have quite the connotation that the second half did.  It was very astute of him, and the unicorn felt a blush creeping to his cheeks at the consideration of the other stallion.

"I'd actually love for you to give me a tour, Mister Dax.  If your employees are as colorful as your grounds are beautiful, then I'm sure I'll find this enjoyable."

=============================================================================

This was the illustrious Luther Blackwater then?  An imposing figure, no doubt.  She could feel the way his eyes tried to pierce into her, but she would not let them.  A lesser pony would fear this stallion, but Carnelian simply felt respect.  He would make a worthy ally.

...until he dared turn his back on her.

The most she showed was an arching of the eyebrow, but doubt soon claimed her previous conceptions.  He stood in the presence of the pony who may be able to save his family's reputation, single-hoofedly, and he gave her the bare minimum amount of courtesy.  She had walked out for less than that.

"I would suggest you teach your husband common social interaction," she lectured.  "All that is required is a single weak link to bring an entire empire crashing down, and I would hate to see everything you and I have worked towards undone by Luther's...antisocial behavior.  Unless you intend not to let him socialize, which would only complicate matters.

"Anyhow, I hope whatever situation you encountered was resolved?  I am willing to accept that your husband was simply not in the best of moods at the time."

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Blitz Boom@Hazard Time

Dax smiled broadly at his two guests.

"I... I'd be honored to show you two around.  Heck, it'll be a LOT more fun than all that moping I was going to do, right?"

The stallion gave a sheepish grin, shrugged, then finished it off with a rueful chuckle.

"Besides... maybe we could arrange for a fireworks show here at the quarry, right?  Although," he glanced back in the direction of Blackwater Manor, grimacing slightly, "we maybe wanna keep the source of the fireworks under wraps for a bit - wait for things to cool off before telling anyone else."

Beck bristled at the thought.  "Master Dax, I strongly suggest-"

"Beck - enough!"  Call chided his brother.  "If Madam Vylia were out here and saw even a fraction of this behavior..?"

Beck nodded, and put on his poutiest look as he stepped back and just waited to be proven right.  Dax gave a soft sigh, then smiled at Key.

"Colorful?  Well... they're certainly unique, I'll give 'em that much.  C'mon - let's see if I can find some of 'em down in the quarry yard!"

Leading the way, he began to head down the path toward the yard, all smiles now.

He had started today planning to spend time with his old friend... instead, he rekindled a friendship thought lost, and was beginning along another path toward another relationship.

Miracles never end, eh?

==============================================================

Vylia gave a sigh that spoke of the weight of the world parked upon her flank, then gave an apologetic look to Carnelian.

"I somewhat agree - he's always been a rather anti-social type, but it isn't from a lack of couth, dearie... he simply doesn't understand the necessity of social poise and presence.  I'm afraid he's one of those cases where his work ethic has the majority of his focus.  Not to say that it shouldn't be changed... but I have found it exceedingly tricky to approach the subject in a manner that reaches him."

She shook her head a bit, lamenting her husband's terse manner.  "I do believe that his mood is NOT in the best place, currently - his office was an absolute mess, though he was unharmed, but Luther isn't one to keep an untidy workspace; however the problem came to be nor the culprit of such a transgression was apparently NOT my concern, so I returned to my highly commendable guest, of course."

Vylia leaned forward a bit from where she'd sat.  "Now... might I ask for a bit more detail about this 'airship', and the party you mentioned?"

===================================================================

(Awaiting responses from the rest)

• Brohoof 3

"... I'm, um... I'm afraid of the d-d-dark."
Crescents ears twitched at that as he was fighting an urge to belly laugh as he never herd such a pony having said problem. Then again he couldn't remember the last batpony he had a conversation with that didn't evolve politics. He was for a while considering if he was endangered as a species in general. Yet here was echo the first bat in years he's been able to talk to, a pretty one at that with blush-

ok cresent just do something already the readers are probably getting board of you, I know you can at least hear your own narrator like for example if I were to say the word dra-

"well, im just glad I have a fellow bat pony to chat with, the dark is mostly my home in the cave here. I'll help you with the dark" he said focusing on the mare and...no I'm not writing that, it breaks your head cannon. I wonder if she deals with liz-

"

"Um Doc, you want some food or something?" She looks to the other two. "That goes for you two as well I've plenty of soup to go around."

His ears perked up relived at the break in awkwardness, or was it nerves? He'd been meaning to catch up with their new cook for awhile now.

"im game, im sure echo here is too." he said turning towards scarlet "and its been a morning for the boys covering me so I probably should bring them some too" he said   

then giving a wink to echo "helps the eyes adjust soup dose" he said smiling.

• Brohoof 3

@@Blitz Boom,@@Randimaxis, @@cwhip9,  

Outside the Mines - Mine kitchen

"Mmm... I think someone doesn't know who I am... well he's in for a surprise he is..." As she went into the kitchen to get some more soup out for the three for them. 

She rumbled in the kitchen for several minutes as she gathered everything. "I'd kill for a horn right now!" Was heard from outside as there was more rumbling. She finally came out tray in mouth carrying 3 bowls of soup and some bread to dip in. She placed the tray on the table and moved back from them. "Eat up you three, though you want the lads to come eat tell them to come up here, I don't do deliveries I have enough work as it is, being the only cook and all." She nodded to them before going back into the kitchen. 

The noises started again. "Where oh where did I put that?!" Was also heard, it seemed the mare was kinda frustrated about something, who knew. In the kitchen itself she mere started working away on what she was gonna say to the mare who controled the books about food allowance and what to cook after the soup was done, she sure could not feed everpony soup for her entire working time at the quarry.

• Brohoof 3

@Randimaxis

@Hazard Time

"Yey! This will be fun."

Blitz jumped on the spot, with a big grin plastered over her face at the thought of seeing the grounds a little better than she had when she were looking for Dax. She had seen some of the place then, but it hadn't included any sort of knowledge on what the places were, and inside the box were a bit limiting to her view. There had only been a small opening to look through, and it barely gave her a sense of things other than the fact that there were buildings she shouldn't  bump into, and ponies she definitely shouldn't move when around. She were trying to be sneaky and surprise Dax after all, not get caught within the first few minutes because she walked around when anypony could see it.

It were a bit sad to hear that she couldn't take credit from it, when Dax mentioned the fireworks, but he were her friend, so she'd listen to him. Unless somepony else tried to say that this were all their creation, then she wouldn't. She hated it when other tried to take credit for her work. Not like they had been the ones to almost set themselves on fire to create some of the stuff she brought with her. Nuh-uh, that was all her, and she wouldn't let them take that away from her.

The butler pony - Beck it seemed like he were called - started to be a meanie again, but the other one shut him down quickly, so she didn't have to say something to that as she started to follow Dax on their trip towards the Quarry.

She'd have to try and watch the two butlers a bit more though, to learn some differences. It wouldn't be good if she thought badly about the wrong pony, though it would likely take some time before she knew the difference. She had a few ideas about what seemed different, but it was like looking at screws or bolts in a box right now. They all looked similar until you had a chance to spot the difference, just like with these two. Well, minus the box, but she were sure it still worked.

====================================================================

@Mentis Soliloquy

@cwhip9

@Randimaxis

Scarlet hadn't answered to Ziggy's question about needing help, so after a few seconds waiting of for nothing, she backed away from the door and turned towards the others that seemed to still be caught up in conversation.

It was nice seeing the two... They liked to be called Thestrals, right? She were still trying to get used to the word, so she wasn't sure if she could call these two that, or if they were amongst another rank where she should just call them bat ponies.

Hmm... better be safe.

So anyway, the two bat ponies were still caught up in conversation, though it did look a bit halted in it for now. Yet, never let it be said that her imagination didn't know how to run with even the smallest little thing, as she were already imagining the two of them walking side by side on beaches at night, enjoying a late night snack together, and then quickly flashing forward to a pretty extravagant wedding scene. The only kind she knew really, as Las Pegasus wasn't exactly know for toning down things.

She were smiling to herself at the sight of the two of them wandering down the aisle, and thinking further on how odd it were that Crescent seemed to be the one of them that carried a dress the best, when the voice of Scarlet escaped the kitchen door, and she jumped like she had been touching an electric fence.

She had stopped almost directly outside the door, when the imagery started to flow through her mind, so the words didn't escape her. Nor did the sound of something rumbling, which confused her, since she didn't know what would rumble in the kitchen. Faulty oven perhaps? She wasn't here as much as she'd like, and usually when it was eating time, there was enough noise from the miners to mask it if there were something, but there wasn't any outburst of pain, or the notion that something was on fire, sooo.... All fine then?

A few seconds passed before she nodded to herself and wandered over towards the others, thinking that it was likely still okay. If it wasn't, she'd hear something soon enough.

Seeing Crescent and Echo again, she tried to return her mind to where it had been before the outburst interrupted her line of thought, but there were nothing. She recalled Crescent and something about a dress, but beyond that, it got a little hazy as she looked at the adorable couple.

Okay okay, they weren't a couple yet, but come on, they looked so cute together.

Ziggy were about to say something about that to the two of them, when her attention instead got drawn towards Scarlet bringing some soup, and her growling tummy reminded her again why she were here in the first place.

"It smell delicious. Thank you Scarlet."

She wasn't sure if Scarlet managed to hear her, before the cook went back to the kitchen, but if she did, Ziggy hoped she could hear the sincerity in her voice at least. Because holy Celestia, this really did smell good, and as she took a small slurp to gauge how this were, she could say for certain that it tasted delicious too.

It could use a teensie bit of heat perhaps, but she wasn't going to complain about what were essentially just a personal preference. It was yummy, just like the bread, and that was what were important right now.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Blitz Boom

@Mentis Soliloquy

@cwhip9

Echo turned a bit pink at Crescent's wink, shyly looking towards the floor and scuffing it a tad with a languid hoof.

"... then I suppose I need to eat a LOT of soup, right?"

When Scarlet presented the bowls of soup, however, the bat-mare's eyes went wide, her pupils tiny, and a little drop of drool made it as far as her chin before she absentmindedly wiped it away.

"Oh... soup..."

She eyeballed the bowls hungrily, and loomed close to them as they were set down.  It looked as though it took every fiber of her being to restrain herself until she heard:

"Eat up you three, though you want the lads to come eat tell them to come up here, I don't do deliveries I have enough work as it is, being the only cook and all."

At those words, Echo nearly tackled the nearest soup bowl and began to gulp it down right from the bowl itself, simply drinking it up as if it were cider!  Her throat worked and she made loud swallowing sounds as she ravenously devoured her soup in record time, finishing with a tiny, polite and totally adorable burp.

It took almost as long for her to realize what she just did in front of these strangers, as well... but when it kicked in, she blushed heavily and put a hoof in front of her mouth, shocked by her own behavior.

"Uh... 'scuse me."

She smiled apologetically, yet her eyes wandered over to the other two bowls and lingered there...

@Hazard Time

@Blitz Boom

Dax grinned widely as he turned and began to make his way down the steep grade toward the quarry yard below.

"Maybe we'll come across Chuck or Knee - they'd be great to introduce you to - or I'll bet Taps is still making her usual rounds... hey, I wonder if Silver's available?"

As he went stepping lightly down the path, one of the butlers rushed to catch up to him, keeping pace right behind Dax as best as possible.  The other butler turned and looked at Blitz directly.

"Just know that I'll be watching you... don't do anything suspicious... well, anything ELSE suspicious... and you and I will have NO problems."

He waited for the diminutive mare to start moving before he would eventually follow; he wasn't letting her out of his sight.

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis

Clockwork sighs as he strapped on his saddlebags and checked the letter once more, it was the final correspondence between Luther Blackwater and himself "Well, I've gotten permission" he says to himself, locking the door to his workshop and leaves to start his journey to the Blackwater Quarry.

-The next day-

The journey was long and arduous,but Clockwork Gears finally arrives at his destination. Gulping a little as he looks up andd own the large black iron gates that guarded the entrance to the quarry, he finally reaches out a hoof and knocks on them "M-mMr Blackwater sir?" he calls out "It's Clockwork Gears, can you please let me in?" he calls out again and looks around. The quarry did appeal to him, as it had a industrial feel to him and as he await to be let in and greeted, he takes out the mostly damaged letter that had led him there, "Silver Studs? Well, hopefully this Silver Studs knows something about my sister" he says to himself and waits. 

Taking out a book, he opens it to the page he had left the bookmark in and starts reading about complicated mechanisms and machinery and sighs "One day I'll be one of Equestria's best mechanics and clockworkers" he says while rubbing his temples a bit. "I wonder what is taking Mr Blackwater so long, though it is a huge place, so he couldn't have heard me" he says to himself before knocking once more and shouting "MR BLACKWATER! IT'S CLOCKWORK GEARS!"

• Brohoof 4

Void Crawler squinted at his map with his almost glowing fluorescent pink eyes, the mountains all looked the same to him, his pseudo-pony fur a striking colour of vibrant magenta clashing with scenery harshly, his folly pink mane with deeper pink stripes doing the same job of clashing the environments whites and greys severely.

Void's head looked up at what could only be described as what he was looking for, Blackwater Quarry, best Emeralds in Equestria he hears, he will see about that, he needs to find Luther, he also would do well to find Chuck List, the pony he met here would be good to learn the lay of the land from, even if Chuck was... Gruff is how Void would word it.

"Blackwater Manor was it? Buck if I know where that is... I just guess I shall wander around till I find a pony of Authority? That would work" He continuously mumbled to himself as his approach to the gate to the Quarry was hastily happening, he wanted to get his payment more then anything, doing odd jobs around Equestria isn't the best way of life and this job, well would change his life for the better he assumed.

His hooves past the gate as he entered the almost hard to find Quarry, he almost wanted to see this lazy river himself, see if it really is as black as ponies say, he found the idea of a black river being the name sake for the place quite awesome inside his head, once his trail of thought was lost he found himself stood in the open inside the Quarry looking around rather confused, his vibrancy rather outlandish and standing out amongst the darker colours.

• Brohoof 3

@@Blitz Boom@@Mentis Soliloquy,  She smiled apologetically, yet her eyes wandered over to the other two bowls and lingered there...
As cresent began on his bowl he paused seeing the mare eat like such, he didn't judge only felt bad for her as she must have been really hungry to eat like that. Once she was done he chuckeled "easy now don't want to waste scarlet's good cooking now" he said before continuing his soup.

"aside from eating good food the best tip I have for you is the dark is more safe then you realize, its peaceful, calm, and in a way another place good for meditation. When you talk to the boss let me know so I could help you, he's hard but fair. One of the best ive worked with in terms of boss's. And none of the minors bite, if they do ill bite them back, but trust me if you like exploring this is a good job" he smiled at echo  

Scarlet...now there was a pony he was surprised seeing work at the mine, while she did terrify him like no other he wasn't disappointed more surprised she did start working here sooner. Something he made a mental note of to ask about when they got a chance to catch up with her. "great job on the soup scarlet, I'm surprised you didn't show up working here before I met you" he said  Speaking of mental notes he looked at ziggy finally.

"so if echo is here and you are here because your hungry looking for work as well, scarlet's the main cook here and pending on how she is with you. could get yourself a job here as well" he said    

• Brohoof 4

@@Blitz Boom,@@Randimaxis, @@cwhip9,

Outside the Mines - Mine kitchen

She came back out and gave Crescent a note.

Hey Crescent, I hope to talk to you when we get a chance, I have something going on down here, there is a reason I showed up out of the blue be nice if I can find an ally in you with us being family and all.

Meet me here later after the day's work is done and we'll talk over about things, I'm sure my cousin would like to know why your up here.

S.O.

She'd expected for him to keep his trap shut about the letter if he knew what was good for him, she knew she scared him which was amusing because she was rather harmless really. Scarlet smiled to the others as they ate their soup she was glad that the other bat pony was happy so slurp up her soup like everyone else.

"Well I hope you all come back for more soup I intend to keep making food just as good in future I don't really want to be stuck making soup my whole time here." She took the empty bowls and went back to her place to of work to start to clean and continue working, she got on with cleaning the pile of dishes that had been created.

post-35804-0-56699400-1485854456.png

• Brohoof 3

@Randimaxis

@Mentis Soliloquy

@cwhip9

Scarlet might take notice of one of the empty bowls not being near the original recipient, but rather over near Echo. Or well, she might have seen it be pushed over there to begin with by the zegasus to be fair, and didn't think on it, but who knew what went on in her fluffy little noggin, right? Not Ziggy at least, that was for sure. She just knew how Echo looked longingly at the other bowls after she had gulped hers down, and had pushed her own towards the bat pony with the tip of the bread a little afterwards. She wasn't sure if her hoof wouldn't be gobbled up too if she had pushed it with her hoof, so this seemed the safer option, and took enough of her focus to not really notice what the others around her did. For all she knew, they had started a short banjo duel.

There should have been a good deal of soup for Echo if it were, as Ziggy hadn't managed to get too far through it before she sat and felt bad for the hungry mare and stopped herself. She was hungry herself too, sure, but this mare ate like she hadn't in days, and that seemed more important to feed rather than her, who had after all gotten something earlier. A muffin to be exact, which wasn't much considering the amount of energy she burned through, but it did something, and it wouldn't be that many hours until lunch, so it was okay.

She also put the bread over afterwards, though she did pull that in half so that she had a little to gnaw on herself too. Minor sustainability in it,  if you wanted to put it like that, but eh, didn't really matter. She'd rather help, though she did get a rising urge to sneak around Echo and grab hold of her like she was a big, fuzzy teddy bear, yet didn't get the chance to react on it before they all started talking again and the bowls were picked up. A pity really, as she had already sneaked herself halfway at that point, but oh well. If she ended up staying here, she would get her chance later on, and it would just have to be an even greater hug to compensate for the lack now. Perhaps a little flying too, now that she were at it? Decisions, decisions...

Ooooh, wait, there might be a chance earlier on. Ehehehehe, she had almost forgotten about that.

"You know, if Echo is gonna stay, I should get my office ready soon. She's gonna need to go through a medical check like everypony else if Mr. Blackwater let's her work here. Better get going fast and get it ready so that it goes smoothly. See you later all. Especially you Echo."

She took the last few steppes over and placed her hooves on Echo's head, and scratched her mane like she were a kitty for a few seconds whilst giggling, before she picked up her medical bag and went out the door.

"Oh, almost forgot."

Her head popped back in again and she looked at Crescent with a glimmer in her eyes.

"Could you tell Scarlet too? And don't think I've forgotten you either. I have a big round circle on my calendar for a certain bat pony's routine check coming up."

She didn't need to routinely check many of the ponies in the quarry, but some of the more damage prone got on her list, in case they were trying to hide wounds so they avoided sick days without pay. That, and Crescent, whom she figured needed the examinations more frequently because she wasn't entirely sure about whatever he were playing tough or not either. Plus, she liked to check up on him. Taught her all sorts of things about bat ponies.

Couldn't go and say that were the biggest reason though. Nonono, that wouldn't fly. That's why she had *regular examinations* to hide behind. Big pro of being the quarry doctor.

Potential grey morale area aside, she said her goodbyes and popped her head outside again, where she would take to the sky and fly towards her office. She had a bunch of stuff to get prepped and cleaned in there for now it seemed, provided nopony came around at roughly the same time and needed her help. That were higher up on the important chart.

===========================================================

@Randimaxis

@Hazard Time

Blitz just ignored the butler as he started to act mean again. She'd have to do something about him later if he kept being a big meanie though. Like dropping some itching powder on him, provided that she had brought it. She thought she had, but to be honest, she wasn't entirely sure what were in the crate she had gotten along anymore. Not unless she saw it at least, then she'd likely be able to tell.

But he didn't matter much anyway. She'd much rather focus on the ponies that Dax mentioned, and wonder who they were. The Silver one that he mentioned made her think of a metal pony they had running around somewhere, which gave her a big, gleeful smile on her face for a bit as she imagined running into that one. It wasn't likely to be that, but it was still something she found fun to let rummage around her head for a bit.

"Who are the ponies you talk about Dax? Your friends? Workers? Special Somepony's? Servants? Gardeners? Miners? Suspicious cult members? Metal ponies?"

It would go on basically until somepony would say something, at which point she would stop, but until then she would just begin to go into weirder and weirder ideas about who or what the ones that Dax had mentioned were. Give it enough time, and aliens, as well as humans in disguise were likely to end on the list too, but at that point, somepony would likely have stopped her. The butler that didn't like her likely, as he likely already thought her company hard to swallow without the stream of innane questions popping out of her muzzle.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

From the top of the wall came a pair of voices.

"HALT!  WHO GOES THERE?"

"HEY, I WAS TOLD ABOUT THIS ONE!"

"WHAAAAAT?"

"I SAID, I WAS TOLD ABOUT THIS ONE!  SOME SORTA NEW SECURITY DETAIL OR SOMETHING!"

"NEW SECURITY?  WILL THAT MEAN OUR JOBS COULD BE FORFEIT?"

"NAW, NAW... SOMETHING THE BOSS' COOKIN' UP!"

"OH!  ALRIGHTY, THEN!"

With a thunderous boom, the gates slowly spread open enough for Clockwork to squeeze through.

"WELL?  WHADD'RE YA WAITIN' FOR?"

@Handsome Changeling

A number of the other workers started to look at the newcomer with a mixture of curiosity, trepidation and just a smidge of paranoia... but they all went directly back to work when Chuck List's voice rang out.

"Arrite, you broozahz - get back addit!"

The rabble dealt with, the strong-looking grey stallion approached Void.

"'Ey, dere... you lookin' fuddah Boss, aint'cha?"

Unlike the others, this stallion didn't seem to have a single worry about who was standing in front of him.

@cwhip9@Mentis Soliloquy@Blitz Boom

Echo's breath caught as Crescent mentioned work... but she still seemed a tad squeamish about having to be in the dark.

"I... oh, I know it's silly and all, certainly, but... well, I..."

She looked extremely nervous about the prospect, but she also seemed as if she really WANTED a job.

"... I guess I could-"

THAT was when she noticed the extra food; her eyes bugged a bit, but then she slowly began working her way towards the table where it was waiting for her.

"... c-c-could give it a try.  I mean, if it's ok-k-kay, that is?  I wouldn't want to imposeohpleaseexcusemeI'mjustsohungry-"

The words blended together as they fell from her lips moments before she went straight to eating the soup in front of her, lost in its goodness and warmth.  The only sign she gave that the world around her even existed was the sweet smile and look of eternal gratitude she sent towards both Ziggy and Scar - that look spoke WORLDS about how much this meant to her.

Well... those, and the single, soft-eyed look she briefly made at Cress.

@Blitz Boom@Hazard Time

"Well, shortly after the Princesses ended the Reign of Discord, my ancestor Serious Black bought this land for all his savings, and made his way here intent on making a new life for himself.  He didn't expect all this farmlessness, so the desolation made him think it was worthless.  He tried to see what he could manage to mine, but that's when he lucked out and came across a MASSIVE finger of emerald, bigger than any deposit in recorded Equestrian history... though, admittedly, Equestrian history wasn't very BIG yet, BUT..."

Dax smiled at his own jest, then continued as they crossed the quarry yard.

"... it was big enough to make enough bits to develop the land a bit more.  Then, Pitch Black, Serious' great grandfoal, found several more columns thanks to his, er... 'predilection'... for explosives.  From there, the Black family never needed for money, so each era was well-enough off to simply coast through life, if they chose... but they most certainly did NOT.  From the Master Sculptor Chisel Black, to the botanist Lotus Black, all the way to the great blacksmith, Weapon Black."

Many of the workers seemed to skirt the small group.  Maybe there was a curious eye or two... but as each worker saw Dax, they turned and walked the other way.  Almost instantly.  During this time, Beck and Call both moved to flank the three of them.  Call stuck near Blitz, while Beck kept to Key's side.  Dax, walking in the middle, was completely oblivious to the actions of the miners as they moved along; he was apparently talking about quite a favorite subject.

"Weapon Black changed the family name to Blackwater to void a slavery contract - and married the zebra he freed.  That's where my stripes come from, in all likelihood.  They continued the family line from there, though..." Dax's smile faltered a bit.  "... it was AFTER the name change that there were a few... uh, well... let's say there were some less-than-honorable family members, and they sorta put the Blackwater name in a bad light... the effects of which, we're STILL feeling today."

He spread his hooves as he reached the center of the quarry yard.  "But, after a stallion bought what he believed to be a bum deal, all these years later we have the biggest producer of emeralds in all of Equestria!  Now, I think we'll start at the gates - how's that sound?"

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis

Clockwork smiles as he then puts his book back into his saddlebag and starts walking through the giant iron gates. He whistles in amazement from the sheer size of the quarry, "Sure hope I can learn everything about this place while learning about my family from this Silver Studs mare that works here" he says to himself as he continues to look and walk around the quarry, trying to find either someone who works there that could help him find Luther or better yet, Luther himself. 

Using the magnification magic he put into his mechanical eye, he zooms in around his surrounding areas and sighs "Lots of ponies here, but no sign of mr Blackwater?" he asks himself, still wandering around, spotting a bolt on the ground, he uses his magic to levitate it up to where he could see it and then begins examining it "Interesting, the head and thread of this bolt is very unique, nothing I've ever seen before, and I see specks of obsidian in it as well, that would certainly strengthen the bolt when it is bolted into whatever it is supposed to be bolted into, and what is this?" he asks himself as he uses his magnifying spell again "Traces of magic, from the looks of it, it's like the rust and decay proof magic like on my automail..only, there's something dark about it as well" he wonders and puts the bolt in his saddlebag, and then begins to wander around again.

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis

Void's normal, albeit horrifically vibrant pink pony eyes just looked up Chuck List from top to bottom, assessing him and then his brain memorising to not, not ever, mess with this stallion, just as when he met him originally, his brain did the exact same assessment, seems Chuck intimidates, well, orders the others with strong projected words and strength. Which is always an extra good note. He did notice the strange looks he got, his pony form supposedly a disguise yet he always forgets to tone down his colouration. More easily worded as; he didn't care how outlandish he looked and nor should he, even with the looks he gets.

"Yeah, looking for the Boss, I would love directions to be fair"

Void chuckled slightly, keeping his joking 'exterior' with minor sarcasm but serious mannerisms quite well via stance and posture, they both somehow worked together as contradicting vibes it almost seemed weird or off.

"Is the Boss still looking for..." Void paused, cleared his throat and smirked ever so slightly "...That 'help' around here that is needed apparently?"

• Brohoof 2

@

Ziggy was soaring over the quarry, on her way back towards her office when she heard somepony yell at the gate. Likely the guards, as they could get kinda loud in it at times, though usually that would be because of somepony entering the quarry. New or old she wasn't sure, but it made her stop up and land on a nearby roof for the moment to look down and see who'd pass through.

It turned out to be a new one that she hadn't met before. It was kinda hard to say too much about his look from a distance, but she could see that it didn't match the decription of anypony she had seen around the quarry before. It was funny though, she could swear that the light reflected on him some places, as if he were wearing armor of some kind, though it didn't look like he were bulky or carried that stuff. Perhaps she should go and have a look?

Nnngh, but she had to check at the office too, to make sure that everything were in order. And she had paperwork to fill she hadn't gotten done with yet. She really should get that taken care of instead of slacking off right now, and she just knew that if she went down there to this pony, she'd end up chatting with him for ages. She loved to talk with new ones, but she did have to think about her job too.

After a minute of swaying from side to side as she went a little back and forth, the tiny pony in her mind with the business suit on won. Work came first, then fun later. Though that didn't stop her from rummaging through her bg until she found a pen and a piece of paper, then write down something on it and fold the paper into a paper airplane.

She were pretty sure she had practiced this enough by now, so she got to a properly placed building, then send it down towards wherever he'd be at this point. Towards his front more specifically, so there would be less chance he'd miss it.

If he saw it, and opened it as it seemed like there were writing on the edges, he'd just find a few sentences.

"IOU: One giant hug.

Signed: Doc Zinger."

With that settled fine enough, Ziggy went back to her office, where there were a bunch of entirely different papers to sign, though sadly, these couldn't be finished with a promise of a hug. She tried that once and just ended up having to rewrite a lot of them in a mighty hurry.

==========================================================================

@@Randimaxis

@@Hazard Time

Blitz listened intensely to the story that Dax were telling them, and especially after the story went towards one of his ancestors getting the first ground for this by using a ton of explosives. That sort tended to get her attention, and this were frankly quite surprising too, which made her double focused on it.

If she had to think of what sort Dax's ancestors were, she'd think at the worst, perhaps just miners that had struck a lucky vein one day whilst down in the mine. The idea that he were actually from a line of ponies that had started their fortune by making explosions made sense too, since it would be a good way to mine for gems (She had found some before too when exploding rocks) but both considering how he talked of his family and how he were himself, she didn't really get the trace of anything like this. A pleasant surprise that was for sure.

And why pleasant? Duh, perhaps his ancestor had laid a book around somewhere that showed the sort of explosives he made. She'd love to learn about what might be new designs, or just stuff on dynamite in general. The library in Ponyville wouldn't let her look at books describing this, since they said they were afraid she'd just use that to actually start making these, which had happened before with a book describing grenades. Something which were bad enough already in their eyes.

The thought about the potential things to learn about this made her feel all giddy and bubbly inside, though she did her best to still listen to the rest of the story Dax told them, and at the end, just stood in place and jumped a little up and down in excitement.

"Ooooh, that's such a cool family story! All sorts of adventure things, hard work and kaboom! I still don't get why anypony would think you're bad because of what some others in your family did, but boo to them anyway. Just means there's more zebra-pony for me."

She went over and hugged his leg again whilst giggling like the little maniac she were sometimes, before slowly snapping out of it a little and then nod vigorously.

"Right right, the gates. Sounds like a good place to begin."

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis @@Blitz Boom

Low couldn't help but return the smile.  Finally getting to see the sights, he happily trailed along behind the other stallion and listened quietly as he detailed his family history.  The eccentric filly asked all the questions he could think of, so he shut his mouth and opened his ears.  He remembered Vylia talking about a great disgrace of their family name, and he couldn't remember if he heard what it was off the top of his head.  At least Dax seemed nice.  And confident.  And charming.  And handsome.

*                         *                               *                                *

@@Randimaxis

Carnelian chewed on her tongue as she mulled it over, making a show of her consideration.  Would she choose to accept the excuse given her?  She eventually shrugged and leaned back.

"I most certainly understand," she consoled.  "Even I find it hard being so outgoing all the time.  I can only hope that he will join us for supper, I have many questions to ask of him."

At the mention of the party, she took a sip of her cider and inhaled deeply, as if ready to give a long winded speech.  "Where to even begin?  It's an annual affair, always held on the summer solstice, and the Duke is always in proud attendance.  Although it's invite only, it's easy to get on board if you're good friends with the 'captain'.  Wine flows in rivers and entertainment is easier to find than a hair on my head..."  The viscountess would continue on for a quite a while, regaling her hostess with endless details and saucy anecdotes.

• Brohoof 2

Well... those, and the single, soft-eyed look she briefly made at Cress.
Cresent couldn't help but laugh seeing the bat mare go into the soups like such. And how her soft eyed look she made at him he did feel a blush coming onto his cheeks. Yet at this point in the day he didn't care about the blush when he thought of how the day was going.

He woke up happy as could be, to have his feelings wrenched from him, now he was glad there might be another shot at meeting a mare. Then again with how hungry she was it did bring up a big question. "its ok echo" he said

"question, when was the last time you ate. before this I mean, " he said helping clean up the mess she made on the table. In her joy of the soup she probably forgot such things as splash and such. He hopped it wouldn't be too much of a factor IF he could get his boss to hire her. Probably not with soup all over the place like she was now.

Yet it did make him feel...uneasy?...nervous?...worried? Some towns welcome batponys with open arms while other shun or outright kick them out do to looking scary and such. Was that the case for this batpony as well or something more that needs to be uncovered?

• Brohoof 2

@@Blitz Boom

Clockwork was a bit preoccupied with his thoughts but he was soon snapped out of his daydreams when he saw something fall near him, curious, he used his magic to levitate it up so that he could see it better "I.O.U: One giant hug, signed Doc Zinger" he reads out loud then thinks to himself, who is this Doc Zinger and why do they owe me a giant hug? he wonder out loud and then continues to walk around the quarry, trying to find anyone who could help him.

@@cwhip9,

As he continued to trot around the quarry, he begun to sing softly to himself, a song called "Steampunk Revolution" which was one of his favorites, he honestly couldn't figure out why more and more ponies were drifting towards the newer and less reliable technologies. Digital this, digital that, he then sighs and finishes singing, thinking back to another song "Throw Them Overboard"  before he came across what seemed to be an entrance to a mine. Hmm maybe there's somepony in here who can help me, I do hear voices. He thinks to himself and starts to walk around, using his horn to illuminate the area around him, "H-hello? Is anypony in here? I'm looking for Mr Luther Blackwater, but I can't seem to find him anywhere, s-so could somepony please help me?" he calls out the best he could.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Orange Sparks 

"Hey, there... you lost, chum?"

The friendly-looking purple unicorn trotted up to Clockwork, a kind smile on his muzzle as he made his way over.

"Y'know what?  I'll bet you're new here, aren'cha?  There's been a lot of talk lately about a new... ummm, 'arrival', as it were... and I guess you'd be him!"

The stallion looked Clockwork over, then gave a low whistle.  "Saaaaaay... you look pretty dapper there; you can't even TELL that you're a... well, YOU know!"  He gave Clock a nudge and a wink.

"But that's part of the idea, right?  So, let's not mention it ANY further, and we can take you right up to the Manor - Mr. Blackwater's gotta be waiting, and I'm sure he'll be glad to FINALLY meet with you.  So, let's get a hoof on!"

He began to head toward the dirt road that led around the back of the quarry towards the manor house up on the hill.  As he walked, he began to chatter amiably.

"So, I'll bet you already have quite a list of accomplishments, eh?  I mean, someone like YOU should technically have enough going for you to easily be able to make your rounds here - heck, even if anyone could stop you, you'll have complete authority; The Boss has had it up to HERE with all the shenanigans from Cragg's crew, and he'll be glad to see somepony who can get their work done - and flawlessly, I might add - with such ingenuity as I've heard you have.  I mean, WOW... must be quite a thing to be invited to the Blackwater Quarry like you did, huh?"

He seemed nice enough... yet what was he talking about?

@Handsome Changeling

The forepony chuckled.

"Yeah, he shure does; folla me."

Chuck turned and began making his way towards the back of the lot, to the dirt road that led up to the manor house.  However, he suddenly stopped and raised a hoof to let Void know to pause a moment.  He watched as a purple unicorn and his guest walked by, and Chuck leaned out a bit to hear.  After a moment, his eyes widened, and he began to snicker behind a hoof.  Once the two got far enough away, Chuck continued to the path.

Turning to Void again, he spoke low and soft... which sounded strange from the gruff forepony.

"Yeah, see... looks like it woiked.  I knew youze were comin', so's I started tellin' folks all sortsa stuff abouda new fella comin' in... but I also said I hadda brudda comin', too.  Dat way, dey'd see me witchoo, an' just assume you waz my kin; o'course, dat also means dere gonna autamatic'ly t'ink ANYPONE ELSE'S heah ta do YER job - like dat unicorn dat jus' passed?  He t'inks DAT fella's YOU."

Chuck gave a short bark of a laugh.  "Should keep da heat offa ya, so's y'can do ya job widdout much trubble... I just feel BAD fer DAT pone!"

With this said, he began to make his way uphill.  He turned to Void and smirked.

"So... any clue azta whatcha gonna do 'r where ya startin' at?  Since I do a lotta da coodinatin' heah, I figger if you tell me who you gotta watch, I c'n put 'em on duty tageddah, an' you can obzoive 'em from dere.  I make da skedules, so we can woik togeddah on dis, as I don' want nopone heah ta sabo-tagey nuttin; I can line 'em up, and youse can sink 'em.  Sound good?"

@Blitz Boom@Hazard Time

He gave Blitz a bit of a grin.  "Well... sometimes, it's really difficult to live down a mistake; BIG mistakes can sometimes take a few generations to completely fade from Canter-... I mean, Equestria's memory.  But it's okay - I'm kinda used to it, to be honest.  Still... I really hope that the day comes that my family is seen as a true boon to ponykind; I'll keep trying to work at that until then."

His smile grew wider as he looked at the diminutive mare.  "But thanks for the vote of confidence, Blitzy."  He also turned to his other guest.  "I really hope the thought of that doesn't color us in the wrong light, Key... but it's really hard to live in the shadow of such history, sometimes."

Dax reached the front gates, the two butlers still flanking the Blackwater and his guests.  The black and green stallion gave the grand wall a sweeping gesture.  It was broad and tall, close to ten stories, and was wholly made of steel - not rock or even concrete.  Every inch of it looked as though it could withstand dragon's breath... perhaps maybe even a dragon itself.  During the morning, it was doubtless the light of day would be blocked from the quarry yard; the wall would see to every morning being cold and shady.

"This gate is one of the strongest NON-magical structures in Equestria; Rhenny Blackwater, a zebra of quite a different stripe, was exceedingly paranoid about plots against his life, so he had the wall constructed - along with a number of other defenses that, I'm happy to report, have been either made safe or wholly dismantled.  Strangely enough, he might have been right - he simply vanished from the quarry grounds, all the doors locked tight, and no evidence of foul play of any sort.  To this day, nopony has any idea what happened to Rhenny... or simply won't say."

He gave his guests a wiggle of his eyebrows, then chuckled softly.  "Okay, now we can make our way over to Shed Row, and from there toward the Blackwater Vault.  It's INSIDE a boulder, y'know?  I always thought that was reeeeeeally cool, to be honest!"

Dax gladly led the way, and Beck and Call followed the two guests.

@Hazard Time

Vylia was enraptured by tales of the upper class, and audially devoured every tender, juicy morsel.  The maids were seen only briefly, and that was to freshen drinks and restock munchables.  Otherwise, the two of them were by themselves for quite some time.  

Not that the Blackwater matriarch seemed to mind one iota; company, to her, was exceedingly rare... and quite welcome, if not actively sought after.  She laughed where appropriate, and nodded as well... yet there was the strange, yet distinct impression that Vylia was NOT simply 'going through the motions'... she was genuinely intrigued and entertained by  Carnelian, which was normally somewhat unheard of among the Canterlot Elite - if you weren't bored, you weren't good enough.  Yet, here was the pegasus, hanging on every word the Viscountess spoke, genuinely enjoying her company.

At a proper place to do so, Vylia said, "Oh, I do hope that we get to do this more often, dearie - I simply LOVE hearing about such things, especially from one who isn't afraid to say so!  Now, as far as supper goes, might I inquire about what sorts of foodstuffs you would prefer?  I certainly DO have a number of cooks and a menu already preparing as we speak, but... well, I suppose I'm asking if there is anything in particular that you'd wish to see added to tonight's lineup?  I would be happy to ensure that you'll have SOMEthing to look forward to, yes?"

@cwhip9

The soup finished, here eyes widened a bit at the question, yet she answered - though so softly, Cress' ears were the only ones able to make out what she said.

".. a-a-almost a week."

She gave an ashamed look, then scuffed a hoof on the floor a bit before looking back up.

"I really, really tried to be a good pony - and I was! - but, nopony ever gave me a chance to.  They w-were all convinced that I'd... eh... um..."

Her voice dropped again.  "That I'd drink their b-b-blood."

She gave a deep, troubled sigh, then looked back up into Crescent's face, those big eyes of hers almost hypnotic with their depth.

"But I would never, ever, ever do that to anypony!  Not w-without their permission, of course!  That's... well, that's WRONG!  And I'd never want to hurt ANY pony!  But... but you can't t-tell others what they don't want to hear, so..." she sighed again, a glum note to her sweet voice, "... so I've been on the wing ever since."

For some reason, it seemed as though that last revelation hurt her a bit; she looked quite sad, and her eyes were tearing up.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

@Hazard Time @Randimaxis

Large impenetrable wall... Soooo tempting to try to blow a hole in it.

Blitz knew it would be a bad thing if she actually managed to do it, but this just seemed like such a challenge. And a fun one at that, though she'd need something strong. The one she used to blow caves into mountains were likely not gonna be enough on this if it hadn't been broken down yet.

Hmm... Perhaps five of those bombs? Nono wait, she couldn't do that. One alone made a lot of things catch on fire near it when it went off, and five of them were gonna make a huge blasdt that could catch everything, and everypony, on fire. That was mad scientist sort of thinking, and she couldn't do that.

Could be if she used her prototype it would work, as that were a directional charge, but she'd need to find a way to get a seriously concentrated degree of firepower into it if that were to work, as right now it was mainly just good for pulverizing boulders. Which had a purpose too. Around Ponyville, boulders sometimes fell on the roads, and making them go away helped. She liked helping, and tha accidents when she did it weren't as bad as they had been.

What was she thinking about again? Oh right, blowing a hole in this wall. No wait, not blowing a hole in it. That was the point. No exploding Dax's home.

It had been a few minutes of her just standing still and looking at the wall, with her head tilting from side to side as she weighed in this and that, before she snapped out of it again. Thankfully the others couldn't read her mind (far as she knew) but they might have been around her enough by now to realize that when she went quiet and looked like she were thinking, there might be a reason to be concerned.

"Huh? Sheds and a boulder vault? Sounds fun, let's go!"

Turning on the spot she went over close to Dax again whilst giggling, ignoring the looks that they likely got as they went around the grounds as frankly, their group was a bit weird. For the workers, she might be the most odd one out as this wasn't exactly a kindergarden, so why would there be a foal here? And especially one that seemed to hang around Dax Blackwater of all ponies, who didn't tend to have a reputation for friends.

"Do you have any of the stuff he used to make anywhere Dax? It'd be fun to try and see how it was made."

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

@@Blitz Boom @@Randimaxis

Low was eager to follow his new tour guide, excited at the thought of a fireworks show later, not to mention the history lesson.  So many fine details, he wanted to hear them all.

"Well, it's a little more complex than that," he began, speaking to Blitz.  "A noble family's prestige is very important.  A single disgraceful family member would be destructive to an entire house's reputation, so it's very important that they're dealt with firmly but respectfully."  The way he said that, it was very practiced, almost as if he was regurgitating it.  The look on his face, however, demonstrated no conviction.

@@Randimaxis

Carnelian couldn't lie, she LOVED hearing herself talk, especially when she had the undivided attention of her audience.  Vylia was trying so hard to earn her approval, and while others may have felt the need to end this destructive cult of personality, the crystal viscountess was more than happy to wallow in the praise.

"Far be it from me to call myself picky, my dear," she answered, taking a sip of cider to soothe her parched throat.  Who knew speaking for so long could be so detrimental?  "However, I have kept myself on a strict diet of low carbs and low sodium.  As you can tell by my figure, it has worked wonders."  Carnelian stretched out on the sofa, grinning broadly as she allowed the other mare to see for herself.  Whether or not she felt attraction didn't matter to her, partly because their relationship was already friendly, and partly because she was content with simply being admired.  Look upon me and weep, for I look better in my 50's than you do in your 30's.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Clockwork looks to the purple stallion and chuckles as he shakes his head "Well yeah I am kinda lost, and don't worry, I'm used to the looks ponies give me because of my enhancements" he says and begins to follow the stallion down the dirt road "As for accomplishments, well that will come in time, I honestly came here to see somepony named Silver Studds, apparently she knows something about my sister" he says and shakes his head "But I'm also here to work and build up a reputation, and if master Blackwater is having trouble with a certain pony and their crew, then he won't be for long, I'll be able to sort them out quick smart" he says with a smile.

Further along the path he remembers the odd bolt he had found and decides to ask the stallion about, but not before remembering to introduce himself "Where are my manners, my name is Clockwork Gears, a pleasure to meet you, anyhow, I found this odd bolt with a odd thread and bolt head I've never seen before, plus there seems to be an,,,aura around it, it's very faint, but it's there, is it one of yours?" he asks, showing the stallion the bolt.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2017 at 2:08 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Huh? Sheds and a boulder vault? Sounds fun, let's go!"

Dax grinned, seemingly eager to show off his home and the surrounding quarry.  It almost seemed as if he rarely, if ever, got the chance to do such a thing, and he was downright joyful over the idea of just having someone - or someONES - to show it all to.  

On 4/5/2017 at 2:08 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Do you have any of the stuff he used to make anywhere Dax? It'd be fun to try and see how it was made."

Dax raised an eyebrow.

"You mean Pitch Black, I take it?  Well," his muzzle grew thoughtful, "that was a long time ago - and I don't think explosives last over hundreds of years..."

His vibrant green eyes suddenly lit up.  "OH!  But there's some surviving notes, as well as a number of family diaries and notebooks in the old cabin room, inside the manor house; chances are, if my ancestor left anything about stuff like that, it'd be there, for sure.  I'd be willing to take a look there to see if there's anything worthwhile... if you like, Blitz?"

On 4/13/2017 at 6:03 PM, Hazard Time said:

A noble family's prestige is very important.  A single disgraceful family member would be destructive to an entire house's reputation, so it's very important that they're dealt with firmly but respectfully."

Dax looked back at Key, a slight sad smile forming.  "Well, a single one CAN be bad, yeah..." His voice then dropped, and what he said next was almost a whisper.

"... but several in a row is MUCH harder to live down."

He cleared his throat, trying his hardest not to show that anything was wrong - and he used their arrival at Shed Row as a distraction.

"Ah!  Here we are!"

The sheds were in two rows.  Each shed had a number painted on the side of it, and a few of the sheds looked different than the rest: one had a large red cross sign above it, while another had what looked to be reinforced walls, while a third had some strange gizmoes sticking straight up from the roof, kinda like lightning rods... but with wires and stuff attached to them.  At the far end, a huge boulder the size of a large grain silo jutted up from the ground, two HEAVY-looking steel doors set firmly into the side facing the sheds.  There were some iron support beams as well, apparently simply there to make sure the boulder didn't dislodge itself and roll away.

Of course, since it looked as though the thing had been there for quite some time already; the support struts seemed more like a backup than a necessity.

"The sheds in Shed Row also function as spare workshops - that one's Silver's, while that's the medical shed that Ziggy, our resident doctor, uses to treat patients."  His smile returned to full strength as he told them, "Silver and Ziggy are absolutely great, by the way - I hope we run across them while we tour!  Anyway..."

He pointed a hoof at the boulder.

"THAT is the Blackwater Vault, like I was telling you - it's one of the most unique vaults in Equestrian history... even if that history IS a bit... uhm..."

His smile quirked into a nervous grin.  "... a bit gruesome.  You see, somewhere under that boulder are the remains of Horace Blackwater... the, uhm..."

This time, he did lower his voice to a whisper.

"... the bootlegger.  He had a distillery here, and he brewed some of the strongest spirits in Equestria; so potent, a few ponies went blind and three even died.  When Princess Celestia demanded he answer for their deaths, he refused.  Because of that, the Blackwaters were banned from Canterlot for over 450 years."

He sighed heavily, but he simply shook his head and continued.  "Eventually, the ban was lifted during the thousand-year anniversary of Serious' coming to the grounds... but nopony could move the boulder to properly bury Horace's body.  Of course, after what HE did, I don't believe he should be buried in Blackwater Ridge; he doesn't deserve the honor."

On 4/13/2017 at 6:03 PM, Hazard Time said:

"However, I have kept myself on a strict diet of low carbs and low sodium.  As you can tell by my figure, it has worked wonders."

Vylia nodded appreciatively, viewing her form as though admiring a priceless statue; she certainly seemed to be well aware of the subtleties of flattery, and was quite pleased to have somepony to use them on.

"I'd wager you probably drive the young stallions crazy; something I've been guilty of myself - well, before my marriage kept me cooped up here so often, that is.  And of course, there's the social stigma to consider, yes... though I am quite certain that I get a fair number of appreciative looks myself, you know.  I may be married, but that hardly means a mare doesn't like a bit of 'outside admiration', so to speak."

She gave a mischievous grin, and a bit of a naughty giggle, before she cleared her throat and continued.

"Of course, I still remain loyal to Luther - after all, he's just about the only stallion I trust enough to remain loyal to ME in return."

With this statement, though... Carnelian could see a soft touch to Vylia's muzzle, a slight blush forming there - apparently, for all her bravado, it was subtly obvious that the mare was quite in love with her husband - and though she tried to remain aloof, her eyes were all but filled with emotion for the subject she spoke of.  Though this side of her was only visible for a moment; a slight shake of her head and a soft, tinkling laugh, and the fact was fully obscured again behind her social face.

"Regardless, I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to learn of him yourself - after I talk with him a bit about manners, of course - and dinner tonight should be the best time to see for yourself."

On 4/18/2017 at 6:44 AM, Digital Blitz said:

Where are my manners, my name is Clockwork Gears, a pleasure to meet you, anyhow, I found this odd bolt with a odd thread and bolt head I've never seen before, plus there seems to be an,,,aura around it, it's very faint, but it's there, is it one of yours?"

Slapper looked at the bolt, then chuckled to himself.

"Actually, that's Silver's work - she's the one who makes a lot of the stuff we use here, and she's actually really good at toolcrafting.  She even makes specialized shoes for some of the miners; they could kick rocks all day and not feel a thing!"

He continued along the path, winding around the refinery and going uphill.  As they walked, he continued chatting with the new arrival.

"Lemme tell you, it's a good thing you're here - so much trouble lately, we could really use the help.  I mean, an extra set of hooves is what it is, am I right?  Besides, I can't wait to see you in action, to be honest; there's a lot of work cut out for ya, buddy."

At this point, he gave Clockwork a clop on the back, a genial act... though it was a bit of a sturdy thump, but not enough to cause any harm.  With that, Slapper grinned widely... but eagerly continued talking.

"Now, make sure you don't give The Boss any grief, you hear me?  He does NOT handle tomfoolery well, let's just say.  Oh!  And steer clear of Vylia, if you know what's good for you - she's trouble for anyone but her family.  And Oggie - Oglevy Blackwater - is a little terror; be careful around THAT one.  Daxter's okay, though - nice kid.  Besides that, there's only one other Blackwater... but he, well..."

Slapper shrugged.  "He's... probably not gonna be an issue.  'Specially because he's banned from ever returning here."

[Still waiting for replies from the rest.]

(It's great to be back!)

• Brohoof 2

@Hazard Time @Randimaxis

"Yeah, Pitch Black, that one. I wanna see what sort of thing he used to blow up a mountainside. Bet I could make something really kaboomie with a few tweaks to that, hehe. I won't use it here though. I promise."

Blitz were unpredictable, volatile, and as had been pointed out before, some degrees of crazy, but she did hers to keep her promises as much as possible, so she wouldn't explode something she might learn from Pitch Black's journal here, though there were a lot of mountains nearby, so... You know, one of them had to be vacant, right? She'd have to check into that later.

Later certainly wouldn't be anytime soon though, as the tour were just starting, and they just reached someplace that really caught her eye. Not the vault, or the doc's office or something like that, but Silver's workshop, where something that she didn't know stuck out of the roof. It looked like some sort of electricity distributor considering the wires, but she had no idea. All she did g lance were that it was something technological, and she wanted to know more.

"There there there! I wanna meet the one who made those. I love tinkerers, and if that's some sort of electricity thing, I wanna learn."

She were very excited at the prospect of learning something, and especially if that might be something which could lead to her finding a way to power her wings. Sure, she still needed to find a ligther base than the metal she had found thus far and perhaps something more usable than metallic feathers clamped together like a pegasi's to keep wind under her instead of having her plummet, but finding out a way to power them was like, a fourth of what she needed to figure out, and anything helpful would do!

The fourth for the record, were a way to get them to move without magic, but she had a prototype to work with. A brain helmet of sorts, though she hadn't tested it too well yet. It also needed power, and electricity wasn't all that easy to work with in her home since she hadn't found a stable way to gather it.

Suddenly, another door among the sheds opened up, and the striped head of Ziggy popped out, curious to see what were up with the commotion and swearing she heard Dax just before, plus looking for a small distraction from the paperwork for a few minutes.

"Oh cool, I heard Dax but found Beck and Call too. Excellent, I wanted to hear if your hoof were still doing oka- Filly!"

The second she had taken notice of Blitz, that had her back turned and transfixed on Silver's shed, Ziggy had zoomed forth and in the blink of an eye, held the filly up in the air in a hug.

"Hello, I'm Ziggy."

Blitz were a bit confused at what had just happened, but hey, hugs were always good so... Smiles and giggling seemed right.

"Hi candy pony, I'm Blitz Boom."

Ziggy squeezed her closer at the comment, which were based on Blitz being able to see little more than her legs right now and the faint smell of peppermint reaching her nostrils.

"Oh my Celestia, she's adorable! But wait, why's there a filly here? This isn't a safe place for that sort. Unless..."

Ziggy gave a funny look towards Dax and flew a bit closer.

"You wouldn't happen to be trying to find Oglevy a date, riiiiight?"

Her eyes and voice dripped of that being exactly what she thought were going on right now since otherwise, the option were that she might be the daughter of somepony here, and she didn't really look like any of the gathered ones. Though hey, there was one she didn't know, who she then looked towards with a bit of a questioning look in her eyes.

"...Nah, you're not her father. Too many differences. I'm going with Dax playing matchmaker."

(Good to have you back boss)

• Brohoof 1