Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open [RP] The Blackwater Quarry

Randimaxis

@Randimaxis

Outside the Mines - Mine kitchen

"I need a dish hoof (dish hand)..." She complained to herself as she worked. "Everypony gets to eat and be merry here and I am stuck cooking, but then that's why I'm here to cook and learn about this mine more." (:ooh:) She soliloquized. She hated this part of cooking when she was at home somepony else always cleaned up after her cooking. She cooked someone else was stuck with the dumb dishes. That's how she liked it, despite her talent for cooking it was still quite a job in order to actually cook. Having to do dishes by hoof afterwards?

It sucked.

She was probably doomed to be stuck in the kitchen cleaning until later that night and she would have to leave to go home, well home was a subjective term. Where she was living presently was a more accurate statement.  

595100944d826_Scarletsbanner2.png.8e1cc30f313c3d1a04910f314f262df9.png

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis @Blitz Boom

"Oh wow, it's like a miniature city," Low mused, his eyes going from one shack to the next.  There must be a shack for every little service that a pony needed.  "You must be entirely self-sufficient out here."

He stopped at the mention of the Blackwater vault, his face blanching and his ears slamming against his head at the description.  Could he ever imagine living with such a stain on his family's name?  What was it like to have to take responsibility for something your great-great-grandfather did?

-------------------

Carnelian guffawed, fully understanding the implications of Vylia's comment.  "And I agree that you are quite the stunner, as good as I was back in the day."  Though I'm still as beautiful as I was back then.

The statement and following body language were not lost on the noblemare, either, and she resisted the urge to roll her eyes.  She could never understand how one pony could so willingly put their complete trust in another.  She'd seen just what sort of pain and suffering could be caused by that mindset, which was why she only trusted one as far as she could throw them.  If there would be any betrayals involved, they would be from her and her alone.  Woe betide the scoundrel who thought they could outsmart Viscountess Marecenae!

"I eagerly await this dinner party.  If it is consistent with the hospitality I and my ward have been shown thus far, I feel I am in very good hooves."  Yes, the hooves of fawning sycophants, the best kind.

• Brohoof 2

On 6/18/2017 at 5:01 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"There there there! I wanna meet the one who made those. I love tinkerers, and if that's some sort of electricity thing, I wanna learn."

Dax smiled broadly, lighting up his entire muzzle.  

"That's Silver's shed; she's the maintenance pony on the grounds, and she's really good at her job!  She's been here for a few years now, and she makes all sorts of useful stuff, from enchanted mining shoes to portable spotlights!  She's pretty brilliant, actually... but she's far too modest to say so."

On 6/26/2017 at 8:27 PM, Hazard Time said:

"Oh wow, it's like a miniature city. You must be entirely self-sufficient out here."

Dax nodded eagerly as he turned his smile on his other guest.

"Really, we mostly are - though we still require certain staples from town, and of course a quarry can't run without miners... but if we had to survive, say, a seige?  yeah, we could hold fast here for months... maybe more than a year.  Maybe two.  When Rhenny fortified this place, he did a thorough job - so much so that there were a few sections of the vault that required trained engineers to eventually get open... and there's still a chamber or two that hasn't seen the light of day in a long, long time."

His eyes grew wide, then he comically wiggled his eyebrows and laughed lightly at his own silliness.  Then a simple sigh, and he gazed out at the quarry grounds around them, lost in thought for a moment.

"It's sort of strange, living in the same place all your life, yet never truly knowing your surroundings as you're supposed to... not completely, anyway.  It's like living with a book you KNOW has valuable information in it... but you might never get it open.  Not that all my brothers and I haven't tried..."

He blushed a tad, and would have continued to speak, had not Ziggy made her entrance.  Her interaction with little Blitz was almost sickly sweet with cuteness, but it was what the good doctor said that caught Dax's attention...

On 6/18/2017 at 5:01 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"You wouldn't happen to be trying to find Oglevy a date, riiiiight?"

The thought had never occurred to me before - to find my terror of a little brother a playmate.  Maybe she could mellow him ou-...

He gave Blitz a glance... and a kind smile.

... well, let's just stick with the 'playmate' idea for now.

"Y'know... that's actually not a bad idea, Doc..."

BOTH butler ponies visibly jumped.

"MASTER DAXTER-"

"...ARE YOU CRAZED!?"

They both looked absolutely mortified at the idea of Blitz and Oglevy working together - especially Beck, who looked as if his eyes were threatening to pop right out of his head; Call simply looked as though all the color had blanched from his being, and he seemed two steps from fainting right out.

Dax simply gave them both a grin.  "It WOULD give you a reason to watch BOTH of them, riiiiiiight?"  From the side of his muzzle that faced her, he gave the adorable little ballistic bomber a conspiratorial wink.

On 6/26/2017 at 8:39 AM, Mentis Soliloquy said:

Having to do dishes by hoof afterwards?

It sucked.

There was a careful tok-tok-tok of somepony knocking, followed by a careful pushing open of the backdoor, and who would happen to poke her head in except Taps, the mailpony.  Whatever had happened earlier had already been dealt with, and she glanced around before looking at Scarlet, then raising her eyebrows as if to ask if she could come in.

At least she was being polite...

On 6/26/2017 at 8:27 PM, Hazard Time said:

"I eagerly await this dinner party.  If it is consistent with the hospitality I and my ward have been shown thus far, I feel I am in very good hooves."

Vylia shook her pretty head, sighed, then gave a bit of a rueful chuckle.

"Admittedly, I know I could have done far better; no need to sugarcoat it, dearie.  I just... well, I have to admit, I wasn't sure you'd... well, that you'd actually show up, you see - NOT for any lack nor shortcoming on your part, but more the fact that you would not have been the first to turn a blind eye to the Blackwaters.  Forgive me, but I had simply assumed the worst - I am overjoyed, however, to find myself wrong in this particular case.  My apologies for... well, for today's foibles, let's say?  As long as you're here, I'll do my best to see to it that your stay is as comfortable as I can possibly make it."

She stood and moved toward the center of the parlour.  "Would you, perhaps, wish a personally guided tour of the grounds later?  If you like, I'd be happy to do so - or, if you feel tired from your journey, you might wish some rest in your bedroom before dinner is ready?  Either way, I'm fairly certain you must be bored of sitting in JUST this single room; what would my guest be interested in at this moment, hmmmmm?"

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis @Hazard Time

"Yeah. what he said. Plus I bet it'd be good for Oglevy to have somepony near his own age to play with. Just adults around here might be one of the reasons why the poor little thing lash out in boredom. Besides, she looks uhm... Harmless. Sort of."

Ziggy had a chance to look over Blitz as she held the filly out in stretched hooves to get a better glance at who she were dealing with, and she had to admit that maaaaaaybe the little one were going to be sort of a problem, considering how she looked like an explosive sort. Literally. She could even smell something that reminded her of gunpowder from the filly, though surely it couldn't be that. No sane parent would let their filly play around with dangerous things like that. Then again, she did have a bomb cutiemark... Eh, it was likely still fine. Cutiemarks couldn't always be taken literally anyway, like with her own. She didn't shoot lightning at other pony's hearts after all. Unless she had to use a defibrillator, but that was besides the point.

Shrugging it off, she put the wriggling filly back on the ground, where she started to jump a little in place and glance over at SIlver's shed a whole lot.

"Can we go now Dax? I wanna see Silver, and find out what sort of things she does. Perhaps she have a big rocket in there?!"

"I kinda doubt that, but speaking of rockets, have anypony seen something weird going on in the quarry a little while ago? A rocket flew outta nowhere and into Mr. Blackwater's window, covering him and his office in glitter. And boy he was maaaaad. Safe and sound, but I could almost see the smoke billowing outta his ears."

She neglected to go into further details and go on about how Mr. Blackwater had seemed like he were going into a aneurysm or heart attack from pure rage. It wasn't appropriate to tell anypony about that, and especially not his son, or he would start to worry constantly about him, and that was her job, not his. He'd do better in just thinking that Luther got really mad, and then leave it at that.

It was likely a good thing that Blitz wasn't paying attention right now, or she'd end up one way or another take credit, but instead she had gone over to Silver's door, and went between knocking on it,and pawing it like an impatient kitten.

"Also, since my hooves are free now-"

With a flash, Ziggy were suddenly behind Low, and pulled him into a hug too, though he stayed on the ground. Not everypony liked being lifted, and she got the worst out of her system with Blitz, so he'd get it easy.

"-Hello, I'm the doctor. Who're you?

Oh oh oh! And I almost forgot the important part!"

Letting go of Low again, she went over to Call and Beck, then looked the hooves over of the both of them until she saw the one with the bandaged hoof she had been working on yesterday, and poked him in the chest.

"You're coming with me... Beck. We need to get your gauze replaced and clean your hoof. And no buts mister. I'm not gonna let you have an infection."

She were around 70% sure that it were Beck she were talking with, though she did seem hesitant about the naming part. Regardless of whatever she might have called the wrong name though, she were still going to take him with her to her office when he were here already. Might as well get this done with early in the day when he wasn't too busy with Vylia.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom @Randimaxis

For the majority of the conversation, Low was content to remain on the fringes.  There was so much conversation going on, and most of it having to do with ponies who he hadn't been introduced to yet.  Everypony here seemed so animated and familiar, and here he was, completely out of his element.  He never thought he would miss the stiff quiet of a noble soiree, but here, if he ever became more familiar with these ponies, perhaps he wouldn't be so afraid of misspeaking like he usually was.

His calm reflection was interrupted by a sudden hug, a squeak leaving his mouth before he realized who was hugging him and why.  "O-Oh, I'm Low K-"

MuUb20d.png

And then she was gone.  His eyes shifted about him, his mind still reeling from the sudden embrace.  What even just happened?

@Randimaxis

Carnelian clicked her tongue, mulling that over.  

Hri35AC.png

"Well, you aren't entirely unjustified with that line of thought.  Us proud aristocrats can be fickle, and I'm no exception.  We are also very entitled, and why shouldn't we be?  It was the divines who elevated us to our current place in life, surely we deserve the best this mortal coil has to offer?"

She gave her host a moment to think that over as she stood up and stretched.  "In any case, if there is something I enjoy more than carousal and revelry, it is mentoring those who catch my eye.  Mister Low Key is one, though he lacks quite a bit of self-esteem and I've been doing my best to help him conquer his fear of intimacy, but you can never be sure whether he's gotten the big picture or if he's lingering on the minor details.  Thankfully, you already have the self confidence, so it's simply a matter of suggestion.

"Anyway, I would thoroughly enjoy a good walk, I'm feeling a bit antsy.  Please, I am curious to see the finer points of your estate."

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

Outside the Mines - Mine kitchen

She looked to her new found visitor. "Ohmmm Helllloooo Tuuups." She said with a plate in her gob, her eyes went from the Pegasus to the offending plate in a very comical fashion as rage set upon it. The result was the offending plate that had made her sound like a simpleton was spat out with such force that it nearly broke in the wash basin, despite it being filled with water. "I. Hate. Plates." She death stared the object. 

After a moment of a pointless staring contest, she looked back to the Pegasus as if nothing had occurred in that whole time. "Sorry, you know me being an earthbound lump of fur I have to use my mouth to carry most things and I... UTTERLY HATE IT... but anyway...! What can I do for you, miss silent postal pone?" She was seemingly quite friendly, even going back to washing up as she waited for the mare's answer. 

595a3c0f23cc9_Scarletsbanner2.png.d9a024c49cb1196d46b968c45f93174e.png

• Brohoof 2

On 7/2/2017 at 5:41 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"I kinda doubt that, but speaking of rockets, have anypony seen something weird going on in the quarry a little while ago? A rocket flew outta nowhere and into Mr. Blackwater's window, covering him and his office in glitter. And boy he was maaaaad. Safe and sound, but I could almost see the smoke billowing outta his ears."

Dax's eyes shot a look at Beck before he could make a single sound; noting the Blackwater's stare, he said not a single word.  Perhaps he then locked his eyes on a certain blast-prone filly and glare as if he could accuse her by merely gazing at her... but nary a word passed his tightly pursed lips.  Call, on the other hoof, took only a moment to visibly stifle a slight giggle before returning to his normal, stoic posture.  Though it was indeed a serious situation, Call couldn't have helped the mental image of the Blackwater patriarch, covered in shiny, happy glitter.

Hearing Ziggy go on to say things were fine, Dax relaxed a bit... yet still gave a slight grimace to hear about his father's incident.  He looked over at Blitz, then nodded with a determined look.  He wasn't about to out his friend - he was certain she'd be ejected from the grounds, perhaps permanently; he would NOT send another friend out of the quarry, not on his stripes.

On 7/2/2017 at 5:41 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"You're coming with me... Beck. We need to get your gauze replaced and clean your hoof. And no buts mister. I'm not gonna let you have an infection."

Beck started to open his mouth, but snapped it shut again as the Doctor implied that his health were at stake; she knew better than he did, so he was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.  Hanging his head, he nodded and motioned to the medical shed.  

"Fine - let's get this done.  And thank you, Doctor... I appreciate that YOU'RE concerned."

He tossed a glance at Call that spoke of his displeasure - but Call just smiled and waved.

"Yes, thank you kindly, Doctor - my erstwhile brother seems to require a bit of BABYING right now; you're just right for the job, I think!  Go on, Beck... I'm to remain with them until your return."

Beck narrowed his eyes at Call.  Call grinned meaningfully at Beck.  Beck's eyes narrowed further.  Call's smile grew broader.  Beck narrowed.  Call smiled.

... sighing, Beck rolled his eyes and moved toward then medical shed, looking back at Ziggy questioningly.

On 7/3/2017 at 0:19 AM, Hazard Time said:

"O-Oh, I'm Low K-"

In the wake of Ziggy's quick embrace, Dax gave a slight chuckle as he saw the look of confusion settle into Low Key's features.  He moved a bit closer and spoke directly to him.

"Ziggy's... well, she's who she is.  And she's better that way - no need to be someone else if that's not who you are, right?  Anyway, she means well - she's just kinda..." he grinned, "... peppy."

He looked at Key, then cocked his head a bit to one side.

"Uhm... I know I've been going on a lot about my family, but I haven't even asked you about your own.  Sorry if it seems like I'm kinda... well, kinda rude; I'm just excited to actually have somepony else to show my home to - TWO somepony elses, actually!"

His smile was genuine and warm.

On 7/3/2017 at 0:19 AM, Hazard Time said:

"Anyway, I would thoroughly enjoy a good walk, I'm feeling a bit antsy.  Please, I am curious to see the finer points of your estate."

Vylia nodded, and without any further interest in any of the tea or snacks, she simply bowed and motioned to the doors with a hoof, then made her way towards them.

"I would be delighted, dearie - there haven't been many guests in this place for the past... well, I'd wager for at least a decade or so!  I'd be quite pleased to show you the places I tend to see as the more refined rooms here.  Especially the garden; THAT can be for the end of the tour!  Now, if you please... let us make our way to the library first, then we can head to the kitchen - you'll like the modern amenities, I'm sure."

Swinging them widely open, she moved back from the doors to allow passage into the hallway.  

"After you, of course."

On 7/3/2017 at 8:44 AM, Mentis Soliloquy said:

"Sorry, you know me being an earthbound lump of fur I have to use my mouth to carry most things and I... UTTERLY HATE IT... but anyway...! What can I do for you, miss silent postal pone?"

Taps gave a glance around the kitchen area, then lifted an eyebrow and looked at the dish pit.  Smiling, she made her way over and with a determined grin she grabbed up a spare rag in her mouth and carefully began on the far end of the stack, giving each one a once over before placing it in the pile nearest Scarlet, waiting for a rinse.  The mailpone worked with speed and care, almost becoming like an assembly line.

Taps seemed pretty determined to help out - and she wasn't a problem either.  She didn't seem to want anything in return, nor was she trying to suck up for any readily discernible reason... she was, for all intents and purposes, simply helping out.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Clockwork tilts his head while thinking for a moment "Silver? Silver Studs you mean? I think she's the one that sent me the letter about this place" he says and still couldn't even seem to remember her, but something about her name was familiar to him. Shaking his head to clear it "Makes sense, you'd want the quarry to work at it's maximum capability" he says and looks at Slapper for a moment.

"You said that there's been a lot of problems here? Rivalries or something more?" he asks and then looks at Slapper more seriously "Oh boy, a exiled family member?  Well the boss or anyone else around here won't have any problems with me, unless they do something I deem wrong, my dad is actually one of the few admirals for Princess Luna, so trust me, while I'm mostly here to help Silver, and find out something about why she sent me the letter, I can also make sure nothing untoward happens"

• Brohoof 2

@Hazard Time @Randimaxis

"Alright, let's go then Beck. Sooner we get you sorted, the sooner you can return to the magical game of *Frowny-smile* or whatever you two call that. Sibling behavior's all kinds of fun sometimes."

Ziggy bounced in front of Beck and opened the door, making sure he could get in and head towards the bench she had him on yesterday. If she had a bigger office she'd try to work with a full on gurney, but this worked fine enough. Long as she didn't need to do something like, operate somepony out of nowhere, it'd do good. And she'd likely have called for a hospital to handle that whilst she did hers to stabilize the worker if it came to that. Some things just weren't meant to be done in the Quarry.

But enough about that. She had a patient, and she should focus on him. Especially since it seemed like he had been in a bad mood before, and he could use a dosage of joy. It was a beautiful day after all, despite how... Oooooh right, the two of them worked closely with Vylia, she were the wife of Luther, and Luther had been in a pretty bad mood, which might trickle down to... Man, no wonder he didn't seem all that joyful, now that she thought about it. Might end up being a really bad day for the pair when they got back to the mansion.

"Alright, have a seat Beck, and we can get started."

She'd wait until he were seated before taking off the gauze and having a close look at the wound, narrowing her eyes and getting so close that her eyeball were almost physically touching his hoof.

"Hmmm... Yep, it seems to be healing fine. Just need to clean it up and apply a new one to be sure, and you might be out of this in a few days."

Whistling, she turned around and grabbed hold of a roll of gauze and some rubbing alcohol before turning to him with a harmless grin.

"It won't be too long, but you might wanna sit comfortably regardless, alright? No need to worry here. Just as there won't be in general I bet. I know, Mr. Blackwater did seem pretty mad before, but I'm sure that doesn't trickle down and affect you or Call."

She leaned down to his hoof and started to carefully clean his hoof, though she raised her head with a questioning look not too long into the process, having something on her mind that she wanted to get out.

"Or wasn't that why you two seemed a little out of it? It's hard to be sure what's rumbling in somepony's head, but whatever it is, perhaps it'd help to talk about it? Seems to weigh on you, and I wanna help if I can."

Meanwhile, outside, Blitz had not yet stopper her clawing attempts at the door, nor knocking on it, though she had added jumping up and trying to get hold of the handle, to see if that worked perhaps. Not the easiest with the deflated sack of fireworks on her back, but that on had fallen off when Ziggy took hold of her, so that wasn't really an issue as much as her hyped mind just wanting to get in, and not thinking straight enough currently to just go over this rationally.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis @Blitz Boom

zlqnc0J.png

Low returned Dax's smile, subconsciously shifting closer to him, as well.  "Very true, Mister Dax.  It's hard to be someone you're not, after all."  Carnelian had certainly said that plenty of times, so it must be true.  His guardian knew a fair bit more than he did when it came to socializing, and if it weren't for her, he never would have been as bold as he was today.  The question was...when the opportunity presented itself, would he find the courage to ask Dax out?  That was the real test, one which would certainly impress Carnelian.

"She surprised me, but I don't mind.  There's nothing wrong with a happy pony, right?"  His eyes shifted back and forth from Dax's gaze, hoping for some affirmation.

"Oh no, you're not rude," Low insisted defensively, laying his hoof reassuringly on the other's shoulder.  This wasn't going too far, was it?  He didn't have any personal space issues?  Gah, how did Carnelian think of all these small variables while she was entertaining others?  "My parents are the baron and baroness of Vladimare in the duchy of Stalliongrad.  I couldn't really ask for better parents, really."  Especially considering how privileged I am that my parents love each other as much as they love me.  Political marriages didn't always end with a happy ending.  He just happened to luck out.  "I don't have any siblings, my parents only wanted one child."  Another rarity that made me even more privileged.  Then again, considering the relative harmony of Equestria, there wasn't too much of a need for more than one child unless the first one was unhealthy.

@Randimaxis

"Why thank you," Carnelian purred, graciously accepting the other's offer and stepping out first.  "I have to admit that modernizing my estate was the second most costly endeavor I have ever undertaken, the first being a commission of several marble busts of myself.  Most unfortunate that the Tyrant's takeover was shortly thereafter, I'm sure they would have been beautiful."

• Brohoof 2

On 7/5/2017 at 5:30 AM, Goddess Sunset Shimmer said:

"Silver? Silver Studs you mean? I think she's the one that sent me the letter about this place"

Slapper gave him a look.  "Silver sent you a letter, eh?  Hmmmmm... funny; she didn't tell ME she knew a..." He grinned.  "Well... someone like YOU, anyway - we talk a fair bit, so it just comes as a surprise, is all.  Still..."

On 7/5/2017 at 5:30 AM, Goddess Sunset Shimmer said:

"Well the boss or anyone else around here won't have any problems with me, unless they do something I deem wrong, my dad is actually one of the few admirals for Princess Luna, so trust me, while I'm mostly here to help Silver, and find out something about why she sent me the letter, I can also make sure nothing untoward happens."

Slapper looked duly impressed.

"Hunh, your father's an Admiral for Luna's forces?  Niiiiiiiice... I'll bet he's seen a LOT of the princess, hasn't he?  Not that I wouldn't mind seeing her more often... she's quite the looker, y'know?"

The erstwhile forepony gave his companion a wink, then smiled broadly as they rounded the bend and crested the hill to see the manor in all its' solemn splendor.

"THERE'S the house; I'm sure the butlers are all on point today, as there's supposedly a high-class visitor here today... well, adding you, I guess that makes TWO, right?  Just go knock - and announce that you're"

He playfully nudged Clockwork before pointing at the front doors.

"There's your destination, my fine stallion... I gotta head back to the quarry, but feel free to come and find me if ANYTHING should be in question, okay? As for Silver... well, she's usually at work, but you can find her at her shed down in Shed Row, or at least leave her a note there, if you gotta.  Now, excuse me buddy - have to make the rounds, don'cha know?"

With that (and a quick glance at the manor), Knee Slapper made his way back down the mountain path that led to the quarry proper.

The very regal yet subdued mansion loomed in front of Clockwork.

On 7/8/2017 at 1:50 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Alright, have a seat Beck, and we can get started."

The butler pone took a seat as instructed, looking a bit weary as he did so.  Without problem or question, he offered his hoof and waited as Ziggy examined it carefully.

It won't be too long, but you might wanna sit comfortably regardless, alright? No need to worry here. Just as there won't be in general I bet. I know, Mr. Blackwater did seem pretty mad before, but I'm sure that doesn't trickle down and affect you or Call."

Beck looked up.

"Well, Master Luther usually doesn't take his anger out on us, no - unless it has directly to do with Mistress Vylia, of course.  Even then, they usually yell at each other - and THAT, my brother and I avoid like the PLAGUE... usually because once the yelling ends they... uh... 'make up' afterwards."

With that confession, Beck blushed and looked away a bit.

"Or wasn't that why you two seemed a little out of it? It's hard to be sure what's rumbling in somepony's head, but whatever it is, perhaps it'd help to talk about it? Seems to weigh on you, and I wanna help if I can."

Beck's eyes locked on Ziggy's for a moment, and she could see the spark of him wanting to speak up in his stare... but, after a second, he simply sighed.

"There's... a number of things that my brother and I deal with on a daily basis... but it's not too much for us to handle... especially considering the alterna-..."

He suddenly clammed up.

"... well, yes.  Thank you.  I appreciate it."

Though he had gotten quiet, it seemed as though he were on the brink of spilling his guts about SOMEthing... and looked to be right on the edge of telling her.

On 7/8/2017 at 9:19 PM, Hazard Time said:

"She surprised me, but I don't mind.  There's nothing wrong with a happy pony, right?"

"Nothing at all - and Ziggy certainly gives a number of other happy ponies a run for their bits!"

"Oh no, you're not rude, my parents are the baron and baroness of Vladimare in the duchy of Stalliongrad.  I couldn't really ask for better parents, really."

Dax's eyes widened at the young stallion's words

"Wow... royalty parents?  That's gotta be kinda nice... but it also sounds like it's a lot on YOU as well; I mean, you're kinda stuck with your sponsor, so you probably don't get a lot of time to do what YOU want to do, and you always have to be dignified around other ponies, and the RULES, and the LESSONS..."

Dax's eyes looked at Key's hoof on him, yet he didn't even seem to mind at all.  He just went right back to what he'd been saying.

"So many demands on your time, do you ever get any time to yourself?  I mean, like... heh, I suppose that, before I simply assume, I should ASK about how your home life is first, right?"  He shook his head with good humour, then looked back at the other stallion.  "I mean, Oggie and I go through some of that TOO, but... I can only imagine it's worse when you're REAL royalty, instead of just THINKING you should be..."

He gave a silly little impish smile.  "... like Mother tends to do."

He then looked over at Blitz, and her attempts to seemingly DIG her way into Silver's shed.  He lifted an eyebrow and started to reply, when he was cut short by another voice.

"Goodness - Dax, I do think this is more company than I've seen with you in... well, EVER!"

Making her way to the group, Silver Studs smiled beatifically.  She was quite a sight, as her coat was smudged with what looked like soot, and she was wearing goggles that made her eyes look like a bug's; once she reached the group, she lowered them with a hoof, revealing a pair of very observant and glimmering blue eyes.  The pack strapped to her back looked full of all sorts of tools and equipment - it was practically BULGING with implements of construction, though it almost looked as though the weight was negligible, even non-existent, to the young mare.

"Hiya, Silver!  this is Key, and the little ball of fire trying to get into your workshop is Blitz; they're..." he looked at them both, and a broad smile strolled across his muzzle.  "... they're friends!"  As those word came from the Blackwater's mouth, his entire being seemed to stand tall with pride at this declaration.  Silver nodded appreciatively.

"Great!  I'm Silver Studs, and I can't even BEGIN to tell you how good it is to see Dax actually making FRIENDS!  You must be perfect for him... well, maybe not so much as perfect, but more like you're just the folks he needed in his life!"

Seeing the frantic scrabbling of the little powder keg, she walked over to Blitz and looked her up and down, bemused.

"Are... are you looking for me, little one?"  She said with a kind smile.

"I have to admit that modernizing my estate was the second most costly endeavor I have ever undertaken, the first being a commission of several marble busts of myself.  Most unfortunate that the Tyrant's takeover was shortly thereafter, I'm sure they would have been beautiful."

Vylia sniffed.  "Well, some stallions simply have no accounting for taste... or couth, for that matter.  I have to say, the fact that you DID have to deal with... HIM... I admit, I'm a bit in awe that you would have such courage to deal with the BRUTE as he was."

As they walked, Vylia led her guest into the long and fully decorated hallway.  Nodding to the somewhat gaudy decor, she gave her guest a sly smile.

"I keep the BEST things on the upper levels, of course - after all, we HAVE had an issue with thieves before," at which she gave a small, enigmatic smile, "so, should such a thing ever happen again, anypony will be QUITE discouraged at what they may find here... and of course, they're ALL replaceable.  As for the finer things, we keep those on the upper levels; if anyone should prove to be WORTHY enough to see them, they shall."

With this, she turned to Carnelian and smiled.  "Which, naturally, YOU will be given the full tour of, dearie."

Stopping at a pair of lovely oak doors, she gently pushed them open with a wing and gestured inside.

"THIS is more like our true style."

The room was a library... but WHAT a library!  There were rich and tasteful furniture pieces placed in a way that was pleasing to the eye, small tapestries that were of FAR better material (and more subdued) than the somewhat gaudy ones in the hall, and in one corner was what appeared to be a small waterfall, trickling down from what seemed like a stone fixture in the ceiling into a small urn underneath.

"The waterfall is natural spring water; it comes from the inside of the mountain itself, and it's fresh and cool - and the urn has a drain built in.  Plus, such a nice backdrop for reading."

In respect to reading, there were no visible walls aside from what could be seen around the door frame.  Instead, each wall itself seemed to be a hoof-crafted shelf that stretched from floor to ceiling, FILLED with all sorts of elderly tomes.

"Mostly my husband's collection... though I have added a number of volumes to it as well.  To truly be considered erudite, one simply MUST be well-read, no?"

She stood back, waiting to see what her guest thought of such a change between the nearly tacky decorations in the hall to such a sight as this.

• Brohoof 1

@Hazard Time @Randimaxis

"Awh, that's cute. I was fearing you'd end the story with the two of them not talking for days until they cooled off, and not end up in a passionate moment. A bit hard to think about that honestly, since Mr. Blackwater always seem so focused on the job, but you'd know better than me, so I'll take your word on it."

Ziggy tried to imagine Mr. Blackwater take Vylia in for a kiss after an hour of yelling and throwing around stuff, but for some reason, she had a hard time making it work with her mental image of him. The other way around though, she had no trouble imagining, but Vylia seemed like she were a passionate sort, so that wasn't hard either. Granted, she had just seen her passionate about the things around her and talking, but she barely met the mare, so it wouldn't be surprising to learn that the Blackwater matron were like this about other things too.

Also, the two of them had three kids. Had to be some sparks flying now and again between them

Wasn't the only one who had sparks over them it seemed. When Ziggy looked up at Beck and their eyes locked, she could see something like sparks in his eyes too. A want to... Sing? It was hard to read his face, and guess what was going through his mind, but by that adorable little blush he was sporting, she'd guess it was something a little embarrassing. Hehe, likely why he switched away from what he had on his mind it seemed, but it was okay. She would try and drill it out of him later on when other things weren't stirring in the air.

She wasn't going to just let it go that easily though. Not after he had spelt out a bit of a teaser there at the end before he clammed up. That just made her curious, and when that first started she could have a mighty hard time letting go of it again.

"Awh, no fun leaving me with a teaser Beck. Come on, gimme a clue. Does it have something to do with you bluuuushing? Or is that more because of the Blackwater smooching made you think of your marefriend? Or wife . I don't see a ring, but I guess you could have it on a chain in a pocket perhaps."

Ziggy miiiight be fishing a little bit for some additional information there, but what didn't hurt him and so on, right?

"Come on Beck, you can tell me things. Besides, you're gonna be here for a while more, might as well keep ourselves entertained. And you know, if it makes it easier, I can promise you that I don't pass things along. Only medical things I need to write down, and I don't blurt secrets."

It was tempting to recite the *Pinkie Promise* she had learned when she stopped at Ponyville some time ago on one of her days off, but she wasn't sure if he'd get it, and more importantly, she were still handling his hoof. Had to keep steady and constant here to make sure it got cleansed right and dust didn't have a chance at settling.

Meanwhile, outside of the shed, Blitz perked her ears when she heard somepony behind her apparently address her. Plenty of ponies called her *little one* so it was like a nickname to her. Same with *bomber*, *firework filly* and *that weird foal in the woods*.

Spinning around on her axis, she looked up at the mare in front of her, and without skipping a beat, jumped over and hugged her leg.

"Hi hi hi hi! Dax showed me your shed with the big metal thingies and said you made stuff, and I make stuff too and I wanna see! pleasepleasepleaseplease? I wanna see fun electric things and lots of power! Ehehehehe."

Blitz let go of her leg and started running circles around the mare whilst keeping on with the last half of her hurried sentence. To say that she appeared rather hyper would be an understatement, but she got like this when she were excited, and what wasn't there to be excited about here? There was a big shed with big, metal things out that might have something to do with power, and a mare here who invented things in there, potentially with power, which were like, fourteen times better than just regular inventions. And she wanted to see if she could look and learn about hat sort of things, so perhaps she could figure out a way to get the wings on her back to work properly.

"Right name, have to say name. I'm Blitz-"

She stopped and went on her hind legs, making a motion like she were exploding with her front hooves.

- Boom! Ehehe. You're Silver Studs? Like the name, bu- Oooooh, are those tools?"

She bounced over and looked at Silver from the side, and at the bulging pack with big eyes and a wonder of how much were in there, and what it was exactly. Might be some specially made tools there, or some kind of invention hidden in the middle?

...Oh wait, invention! She had to remember the somewhat deflated bag she had come in here with, which she jolted over to grab and almost sling to her back, before she remembered that her horn worked again and floated it up there, where it landed on her wings with a slight clang.

"What've you been using tools for? Repair? Creating something? Cleaning? Threats? Disarming a bomb?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis @Blitz Boom

Low chuckled, blushing slightly at the oversimplification of his title.  "Calling me a royal is, um...kind of way above me in the feudal hierarchy.  I'm just an aristocrat born from aristocrats, and a rather low-ranking one at that.  My house's demesne encompasses a small town and the surrounding farmland that sustains it, and every month, we pay our tribute to our liege, the count of Stalliongrad."

At the other suggestions, he went rather quiet, his eyes averting.  The unicorn's hoof remained on the other's shoulder, anchoring him.  "I had a lot more time back at my home, and my father and mother did most of the work managing their holdings.  They tried to get me involved, but I was always so easily distracted by other things.  Miss Carnelian has given me a lot more work, and she can be quite demanding at times, but I mean, I turned 18 a few months ago, and she is on a time crunch to prepare me for fulfilling my duty..."

Or so she told him.  She was really trying her hardest to teach him, but he couldn't help how easily distracted he became when ponies talked at him for long periods of time.  On top of that, there was always this duty that she was trying to impress upon him.  Did other ponies feel as much pressure as he did to find a suitable mare to produce an heir with?  At times, he envied the choices that they had that were denied to him in order to preserve his family fortune.  If only he had a sibling, maybe then there wouldn't be so much pressure on him.

With Silver's entrance, Low couldn't help but be surprised.  Did Dax have a hard time making friends?  Was this so out of the ordinary for him?  Maybe he was made for him...

@Randimaxis

"Yes, quite.  A brute he was, but all of his powers revolved around fear.  If one could look past that, he was as harmless as a pussycat.  Oh, he certainly postured and bellowed, but he held no power over me.  I don't think he even knew whether to be perplexed or intrigued."

Since she had arrived at the Blackwater manor, Carnelian had uttered plenty of half-truths.  For the first time, however, her lips had produced a full-blown, flat-out lie.  However, it would have simply been inconvenient to describe the one time that she had come to King Sombra and had attempted to seduce and manipulate him, only to end up squealing and begging for her life as his powerful dark magic slowly crushed her windpipe.  

Although the nobility was afforded the privilege of sitting in his court, all were forced to wear an iron manacle.  After her failed insurrection, however, Carnelian was made an exception.  From the king, himself, she was given a cloth collar with a bone-shaped name tag, her name and "owner" inscribed on it.  Every so often, Sombra would parade her about the palace on "walks", casually bringing up to everypony that he met that if she desired to pretend that she was in heat, then he would gladly oblige.

She would allow nopony to dare speak of that in her presence again.

Carnelian stopped and observed the tapestries, bringing a hoof to her chin.  "I was wondering about those.  In any case, one should not have to live in fear of thieves so long as one takes the adequate precautions to ensure that they never get inside your manor to begin with.  My own estate has four dozen full-time household guards, and for the more 'professional' burglars, there are wards all over that issue a loud noise if they detect an unknown entity not in the presence of a permanent resident.  It has worked thus far very well."

The library, however, impressive.  Carnelian 'oohed' at the sight, investigating the waterfall.  "I believe I may have been slightly harsh in my critique of your abode, however there is no fault to be found here.  Books are more than just entertainment, they are a status symbol.  They speak of culture and sophistication, and I would certainly suggest that you show this to your other guests.  I would also suggest leaving some prime material out for them to see, most will not have the patience to peruse your collection, after all."

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

She watched her as the pair started working, Scarlet was honestly a little confused, or more perhaps suspect of the mare. She didn't know anyone to just do something out of total goodness, though many claim such a thing they do it for a slight chance of a reward for their actions. A very rare pony indeed did something for the sole purpose of helping. "Wow, I'm way too suspicious of other ponies these days..." She shook her head at her own thought as she worked.

"You didn't have to help me, I'm sure you have enough work as it is delivering everyponies mail here there and everywhere. I do have to do this daily and I complain about it daily, just how I cope I suppose." She sighed and continued working it was not like she was going to have a conversation with a mute, she'd just make some gesture or point at something. 

596f4ab442c97_Scarletsbanner2.png.e2f9f9d13e723c663e8f7199005645d0.png

• Brohoof 2

On 7/14/2017 at 9:53 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"Awh, no fun leaving me with a teaser Beck. Come on, gimme a clue. Does it have something to do with you bluuuushing? Or is that more because of the Blackwater smooching made you think of your marefriend? Or wife . I don't see a ring, but I guess you could have it on a chain in a pocket perhaps."

Beck gave a hefty sigh, then turned his gaze to... somewhere else in the room.

"A Special Somepony?  No, I'm afraid not - when would I have time?  After all, my brother and I LIVE here on the premises, and our work for Madam Vylia is from sun-up to bedtime; neither of us get even so much as a day off, much less any time to do things for ourselves... but I suppose it's just, after all."

With that cryptic ending to his sentence, he did steal a quick look at Ziggy before finding something most fascinating on the floor to stare at.

"Come on Beck, you can tell me things. Besides, you're gonna be here for a while more, might as well keep ourselves entertained. And you know, if it makes it easier, I can promise you that I don't pass things along. Only medical things I need to write down, and I don't blurt secrets."

Those eyes of his rolled up to fix on the good doctor once again.  He sat there for a moment, pondering some issue in his mind for a moment before slowly closing his eyes... then:

"I... that is, my brother and I... well, we're... not exactly under the same employment rules that you or Miss Studs are.  That has DIRECTLY to do with Madam Blackwater, and... well..."

His eyes searched hers for a moment, then his features softened.

"... Madam Zinger, I am most appreciative of your time and effort upon my wound... but I'm not quite certain that Madam Vylia would... erm, be pleased at the idea that somepony other than herself and us would know the details of that... 'deal', so to speak.  It's... well, the truth is NOT flattering to my sibling and I - are you absolutely CERTAIN you'd want to know?"

On 7/16/2017 at 8:13 PM, Hazard Time said:

Calling me a royal is, um...kind of way above me in the feudal hierarchy.  I'm just an aristocrat born from aristocrats, and a rather low-ranking one at that.  My house's demesne encompasses a small town and the surrounding farmland that sustains it, and every month, we pay our tribute to our liege, the count of Stalliongrad."

Dax nodded.  "Still, it means there are ponies that look to you and your family to govern fairly and justly; even if it seems unimportant to those of so-called Greater Station, it means WORLDS to those farming families, I'm sure.  Besides, that 'Upper Class' will place themselves above others over and over again... personally?  I've always wanted to help others - and your family seems to get that chance quite often.  Lucky you..."

With that, Dax gave Key a light nudge and a smile.

"But that's just MY opinion, of course.  Might not matter a hill of beans to an aristocrat... but it matters to me, and that's fine and dandy."

"I had a lot more time back at my home, and my father and mother did most of the work managing their holdings.  They tried to get me involved, but I was always so easily distracted by other things.  Miss Carnelian has given me a lot more work, and she can be quite demanding at times, but I mean, I turned 18 a few months ago, and she is on a time crunch to prepare me for fulfilling my duty..."

Dax listened as Key spoke, and he took on a look of sympathy as the other young stallion explained himself.  Upon trailing off from his sentence, the Blackwater leaned in a bit closer, bringing the gap between them down to mere inches.

"Mother puts me through a similar rigamarole... but she's just trying to prepare me for... well, I figure I'll be the one in charge here, eventually.  Still, I can't say I'm all that keen on learning how.  I mean, I WILL learn, but I'm not exactly on any kind of 'timetable' or anything like that - but you are?  That hardly seems fair... but then again, I have no idea what kind of stuff she's teaching you, and furthermore I can't say I know any better; from what you say, she sounds kinda... well, demanding of you, but chances are she's just really trying her very best to train you."

He gave a slight conspiratorial grin.  "Of course, while you're here, if you ever REALLY wanna get away, I know about a thousand and one different ways to escape the quarry manor; I'd be happy to help you catch a break, now and again... if, uhm, you'd even be willing to anything like that.  I mean, studies are important, yeah... but FUN is too, y'know?"

He wiggled his eyebrows a bit for inflection.

Meanwhile, Silver took a good, long look at the little ball of combustion that held the moniker of Blitz Boom.

"Hi hi hi hi! Dax showed me your shed with the big metal thingies and said you made stuff, and I make stuff too and I wanna see! pleasepleasepleaseplease? I wanna see fun electric things and lots of power! Ehehehehe."

Silver's smile crossed her features, and lit her up pleasantly.

"Oh, aren't you just the BEES' KNEES?  Well, okay - not that bees really HAVE knees, but you're still quite adorable!  And what's YOUR name, little firecracker?"

She gave a soft, merry laugh and touseled the filly's mane playfully.  

"Right name, have to say name. I'm Blitz... BOOM! Ehehe. You're Silver Studs? Like the name, bu- Oooooh, are those tools?"

Silver nodded.  "They are - well, mostly scrap metal, to be honest... but I do have a number of tools in there, yes."

She watched Blitz's antics with a sweet grin on her muzzle, simply getting joy out of the diminuitive mare's hyperactive energy.  She watched as the filly lifted her own bag, then crossed her front hooves as she replied to the child's questions.

"What've you been using tools for? Repair? Creating something? Cleaning? Threats? Disarming a bomb?"

She laughed her pleasant laugh again.

"Uhh, well... yes, yes, sort of, not exactly... and no, THAT hasn't happened here yet, thank goodness; not that I couldn't handle it, mind you... but I certainly hope I never have to.  Explosives may be in common use here, but that doesn't mean I look forward to having to STOP something from exploding, you know?"

Regardless of the nature of Blitz Boom's question, Silver seemed to truly enjoy answering her questions.

"As to the contents of my shed?  Well, I suppose I could show you, but... well, there's not a LOT to see, but there's a few things there that'll blow your mind!  Well, okay - they won't exactly make your head explode as such, but more that I think somepony like you might really appreciate the things I do have already!  Tell me... do you know what a 'radio' is, Little Boomer?"

"Yes, quite.  A brute he was, but all of his powers revolved around fear.  If one could look past that, he was as harmless as a pussycat.  Oh, he certainly postured and bellowed, but he held no power over me.  I don't think he even knew whether to be perplexed or intrigued."

Vylia gave a nod, then a slight giggle at the concept of the wicked King being utterly flabbergasted by such a noble presence as Carnelian's.

"Yes, of course - in your company, I daresay that those who have no TRUE dignity and class would just about do the same, eh?  Only further proof that he was no King - merely a sinister slaver, and nothing more.  Besides, on the subject of THAT dust mote?  YAWN."

Vylia made a big show of a rather sarcastic yawn and stretch, only ending it with a razor-sharp smile.

"Besides, I'd rather have the company of a REAL dignitary such as yourself than a crown-coddler such as THAT."

"I was wondering about those.  In any case, one should not have to live in fear of thieves so long as one takes the adequate precautions to ensure that they never get inside your manor to begin with.  My own estate has four dozen full-time household guards, and for the more 'professional' burglars, there are wards all over that issue a loud noise if they detect an unknown entity not in the presence of a permanent resident.  It has worked thus far very well."

The Blackwater matron laughed heartily.

"Oh, I live in no FEAR of robbers... in fact, I've already handled some - personally, I may add - and I must say that they were far more outclassed than they assumed.  And I can absolutely PROMISE you they wouldn't DARE try anything like THAT again... not a chance!"

She leaned against the wall in a rather confident manner, her smile melting into a clever smirk.

"Besides, dearie... we don't get enough company to truly warrant armed guards; it's such a chore to get to the manor that everypony either requires entry through the quarry grounds, or a pegasus or griffon can be seen coming for MILES!  Honestly, that simply leaves more in our coffers for... better things."

She visibly enjoyed seeing Carnelian's approval of the study, and she unconsciously stretched her large, lovely wings as she allowed her pride to show in her expression.  It seemed as though each word of praise her esteemed guest spoke, it seemed to swell Vylia's pride.

"I believe I may have been slightly harsh in my critique of your abode, however there is no fault to be found here.  Books are more than just entertainment, they are a status symbol.  They speak of culture and sophistication, and I would certainly suggest that you show this to your other guests.  I would also suggest leaving some prime material out for them to see, most will not have the patience to peruse your collection, after all."

"Oh, but of course - that does make good sense.  Of course, if there are no guests, then it becomes a moot point, does it not?  Still... it would be better to be prepared for company rather than not, so I'm certain I could make do with a few, more cultured items on display.  Of course," her smile soured, "anything of TRUE value, Luther insists on locking away in the vault.  Granted, it's quite secure, but... well, what good does it do IN THERE, I ask you?"

She languished by the doorway a moment, then spoke up.

"Perhaps you'd be interested in touring the UPstairs halls and rooms?"

On 7/19/2017 at 8:04 AM, Mentis Soliloquy said:

"You didn't have to help me, I'm sure you have enough work as it is delivering everyponies mail here there and everywhere. I do have to do this daily and I complain about it daily, just how I cope I suppose."

Taps waved a dismissive hoof at Scarlet, and took to the dishes like a beast unleashed; she worked quickly and efficiently, making short work of the pots, pans and bowls that had, only moments ago, been sitting there in the usual grunge of their common usage.  Now?  Sparkling clean, and in next to no time flat.

Stepping back from the sink, Taps was dripping with dishwater a bit... but she still looked ready to run - or fly - a race, on the spot.  She always seemed so vigorous and capable, it would be hard to picture her with anything but pep in her step.

Flinging open the flap of her satchel, she produced a pencil and pad, which she frantically scribbled on, then presented to Scar.

[It's good to cope - most ponies can't even manage THAT.  Glad to hear you're ahead of the curve!]

That done, she glanced around again, looking for something else to do... but, as Scar kept a clean kitchen, there wasn't anything else.  Still, regardless of a lack of jobs to complete, Taps still seemed to linger a bit.  After another moment or two, she scribbled again and held up the pad for the cook's perusal.

[When you have a moment, I think we should 'chat' about the flood earlier - ALONE, if that's okay.]

Though she was still a small mare, something in her mismatched eyes said that she was QUITE serious about this... but was in no visible rush.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Clockwork smiles and thanked the rather jovial stallion and made his way towards where he would hopefully find the stallion named Luther, the very pony who had graciously agreed to hire him. He put the small bolt in his saddlebag, keeping in mind to ask Silver Studs about it later. With a gulp, he made his way up the winding path towards the front door. Gulping once more, he swept his fears aside and knocked on the door a couple of times before calling out "Mr Blackwater Sir?" he calls out "It's Clockwork Gears, I'm here for the job we discussed" he says, somewhat unsure of this arrangement all of a sudden, but he swept the thoughts away, he needed to know if this Silver really did know something about his family. He knocks a couple more times and then decided to adjust his mechanical eye's sight a little, as it was getting a little foggy for some reason.

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis @Blitz Boom

"Oh, that's, um, one way to look at it."  The stallion chuckled nervously as he let that soak in.  His actions would directly impact ponies who called Vladimare their home.  They were relying on him.  He had to take responsibility.  Despite not having any power yet, he could already feel the burden of rule on his shoulders.  How could his parents do that and not break down?

However, the conspiratorial grin and eyebrow wiggle dispelled these previous thoughts, replacing them with something all together most unpure.  Even as his cheeks had already flushed deeply, he could not convince himself that there was no insinuation being made.  Was that his way of telling Low that his feelings of attraction were mutual?  If so, then the level of suave emanating from the pegasus was bound to make him faint if he kept that up.

q1RJn0K.png

"I will...most definitely have to take you up on that offer.  What sort of, um, things will we be doing together?  I-I don't get out that often."  Not entirely a lie, but it was certainly something that he hoped would de-escalate the situation.  Hopefully.  Otherwise...

-------------------------------

@Randimaxis

Though her expression didn't change, Carnelian was left just a little bit impressed at the other's foresight.  She had come here expecting them to be clueless, or at least only having a rudimentary knowledge of life as a socialite, quite like how Low Key was when he first arrived.  The Blackwaters, on the other hoof, seemed to have much more under control.  It was both satisfying and a let down, since the crystalline mare had much less work to do but also less of an opportunity to demonstrate her superiority.

"Knowledge is power, and for some, tomes can be just as valuable a treasure as a hoard of diamonds.  If I knew what they were, I would certainly be able to appraise them, but it isn't worth the time and effort if your husband is certain.  In the mean time, yes, let us move on."

• Brohoof 2

@Hazard Time @Randimaxis

As she heard the first response given to her by Beck, Ziggy got a slightly mischievous look going over her eyes, and her smile increased a small bit.

"No special somepony? Reeeeally? That's interesting."

Yeah yeah, she knew, it made sense that a pony working full time would not have the time to look around, but she didn't really think on that so much as the part about availability. Not that she were going to jump him or anything (yet) since he were still a patient and it'd be unprofessional and bla bla bla. Just thinking that it couldn't hurt to, you know, steer things along a little perhaps so when he felt better, she could pounce and see what would happen?

She wasn't entirely sure if that were how it was supposed to happen really. She had spent most of her life either as a patient in a hospital or studying in one, and there she didn't really have much chance to even glance after other ponies in such a way. Then after she had graduated, she ended up here pretty early in it, and well... Might be she wasn't here 24/7, but it wasn't far off. Unless it was cold days, she stayed a little outside on clouds mostly so she could get ready to get to work early, and she tended to be one of those that left the latest anyway because she had papers, or the threat that there perhaps would come a late night injury she had to tend to. Didn't leave much room for a social life beyond the mine, so when it came to friends and a potential dating pool, this was her hunting ground, and Beck were one of three *preys* she had found interesting enough to lock her sight on.

First had been cut off a long time ago, as she saw where Crescent's eyes went when it came to the mares in the quarry, but Beck and that Thestral whose name she couldn't remember right now? Both were some tough cookies that seemed like fun, and she knew at least one were free now. Couldn't hurt to see what would happen if she tried to pursue things a little, right? Not unless there were a rule against it in the quarry... Darn it, she had to find a rule book one of these days. Had to be one accessible somewhere that could clarify things.

Whilst she had been thinking about this, beck had gone on and eventually asked her a question that dragged her out of her thoughts a little and look at him first with curiosity, then a small giggle. A welcome break perhaps from the low humming she had done when she were thinking.

"Well, you don't need to tell me if you don't want to Beck. I just don't think it's good to carry around all sort of weight on your shoulder without sharing them with others, and I'm genuinely curious about you. Because of uhm... Anyway, I won't judge, and I swear I won't tell Mrs. Blackwater or anypony else. Confidentiality might not technically be part of my job, but I take the well being off everypony here seriously. That includes privacy for sensitive information.

Up to you though Beck. I don't wanna pester you if this is a touchy subject, or you think you'll get in trouble for it. You poor things are getting a hard enough time from Mrs. Blackwater as it is from what I've heard, and I wanna make you feel better, not worse."

Meanwhile, outside at SIlver's shed, Blitz let out a high pitched *Eeeeek* sound at the prospect of being allowed into the workshop.

"Oh, this is going to be fun! I knew I shoul've brought the crate though. I have all sorts of fun things and explosives in there. I could've shown you cool things too! Later I get it then? Yesyesyes, later.

And what do you mean with a radio? Is it something with electricity? I don't have any of that in my workshop, so I dunno what it can do other than go zap. I was sooo close catching some of it once, but the box had a leak so it escaped and pulverized a tree. No fun.

Anyway, we go see fun things now? Pleeeease, I'll be nice."

Anypony with half a knowledge about foals would likely know better than to trust that, and anypony who knew Blitz in particular, would likely have put a leash on her before letting her get anywhere near the inside of this place. It could get a little chaotic if she had free reign in a place full of possibility, and she were harder to catch than you might think.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/27/2017 at 4:14 AM, Goddess Sunset Shimmer said:

"Mr Blackwater Sir? It's Clockwork Gears, I'm here for the job we discussed..."

The large, showy wooden door opened with a LOUD groan, and behind it was what looked to be an extremely bored mare in a maid's outfit  She took a single step out and, after looking him up and down, gave what sounded like an exasperated sigh and simply said two words to Clockwork:

"Follow me."

She stepped back in and began to walk her way down what was a very extravagantly-decorated hallway.  The foyer was quite large, and the front hall was quite a sight, with a grand staircase leading up what appeared to be three flights, with tapestries and objects d'art lining the place's regal walls and tables.  It looked almost too showy, to the point of nearly being tacky... almost.

The maid didn't seem to be waiting for Clockwork - she was almost out of sight.

On 7/30/2017 at 10:23 PM, Hazard Time said:

"...the time and effort if your husband is certain.  In the mean time, yes, let us move on."

Though, at the far end of the hallway, a pair of mares seemed to be having a conversation.  Both quite lovely, the green one with the large gold bow began to saunter out of a room and make her way towards the same direction Clockwork himself seemed to be headed.  However, she didn't even seem to notice the new presence; she was quite engaged with her company.

"There is a veritable plethora of bedrooms to choose from, as well as quite a few small studies and a few more libraries - enough here that we could host quite a LARGE number of guests... that is, IF we ever had such a large gathering of guests.  I daresay that the one time I attempted to have a large gathering in my home, well..."  

Her features soured ever-so-slightly.  "...  let's simply say it wasn't exactly a crowded affair, shall we?"

If he didn't say a word, it looked as though she'd simply walk right past him - however, as soon as she was within a decent speaking range, she simply turned right to him, a look of minor interest/annoyance on her muzzle as she spoke to him as if she'd known he was there the entire time.

"Well?  DO speak up, dearie - I assume there's a good reason for your presence in MY home, hmmmmm?"

On 7/30/2017 at 10:23 PM, Hazard Time said:

"I will...most definitely have to take you up on that offer.  What sort of, um, things will we be doing together?  I-I don't get out that often."

Dax grinned.

"Well, there's a statue garden that's a bit overgrown, but not dangerously so - I spend time there digging through the brush, looking for more statues.  There's supposedly a LOT of 'em there, and I keep finding more!  That could be fun, right?  or maybe you'd rather get a look into the original cabin?  There's a lot of interesting manuscripts in there - stuff I haven't even read yet!  Oh, and there's my camp, outside the quarry grounds; I keep my telescope there, and I wouldn't mind sharing..."

Slowly, it dawned on the Blackwater that these things might have sounded kinda boring to someone of such elite upbringing.  He gave a bit of a sheepish grin and rubbed the back of his neck with a hoof.

"Uhm... truth is?  I don't really get out too often, either - I honestly have NO idea what you might want to do, Key... I'm just suggesting stuff I do to kill the boredom, y'know?  What, uhm... what kinda stuff would YOU wanna do, if it's okay to ask?"

Meanwhile, Silver covered her grinning mouth with a soot-caked hoof, giggling softly at the adorable energy of Blitz Boom.

On 7/31/2017 at 0:32 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Anyway, we go see fun things now? Pleeeease, I'll be nice."

"Oh, I would LOVE to show you my workshop... eh, however, I DO have a number of duties to take care of today - and it's getting a little late in the day for me to take another break.  But I'll tell you what - how would you like to check on Boiler #5 with me?"

Dax lifted an eyebrow, roused from his conversation with Low Key.  "Silver?  Uhm, Boiler #5 can be a bit dangerous - maybe you'd be better off doing that alone?  I mean, Blitz could probably help you out, but-"

"OH!  That's a WONDERFUL idea!"  Silver turned to Blitz, "how would you like to give me a helping hoof with the faulty boiler?  I can explain everything as I do it, and you'd be able to learn something new!  It'd be just like playing school!  Well," she shrugged, "not so much as playing SCHOOL, but more like a free lesson in mechanical technology!"

She turned to the diminuitive mare, "What do you think, hmmm?  Wanna give me a hoof?"

On 7/31/2017 at 0:32 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Well, you don't need to tell me if you don't want to Beck. I just don't think it's good to carry around all sort of weight on your shoulder without sharing them with others, and I'm genuinely curious about you. Because of uhm... Anyway, I won't judge, and I swear I won't tell Mrs. Blackwater or anypony else. Confidentiality might not technically be part of my job, but I take the well being off everypony here seriously. That includes privacy for sensitive information.  

Up to you though Beck. I don't wanna pester you if this is a touchy subject, or you think you'll get in trouble for it. You poor things are getting a hard enough time from Mrs. Blackwater as it is from what I've heard, and I wanna make you feel better, not worse."

Beck looked down and gave a slight sigh again... then he averted his eyes to the farthest wall in the clinic as he said the words:

"My brother and I... well... we... we used to be criminals, Miss Zinger."

He closed his eyes tightly, then began to talk softly, yet quickly - as if he expected they'd be caught at any minute.

"My brother and I used to do thieving as our chosen method of living; he was the safe-cracker, and I was the muscle - and we were in high demand, back in our day.  There wasn't a crook alive who hadn't heard of Quick Pick and Lock Jaw.  We had quite a reputation of being apt and deft, no matter the job.  We also had a reputation for being able to do what other pones thought were impossible feats.  Truth be told, many of those instances were just good planning and careful recon - others merely saw them as works of genius, which my brother and I, of course, fostered others to believe."

"At the height of our popularity among the underworld set, we were hired by an anonymous client to do something that many ponies in Equestria said was utterly impossible - we were hired to break into the Blackwater Vault.  My brother and I decided the challenge was worthy, and took the job immediately.  We discovered that the mare of the house was looking to hire a servant, so we BOTH showed up and gave her our best 'butler' routines.  Being twins, we were hoping the novelty of our teamwork would appeal to her, hence she would hire us.  And she did."

Beck tried to lift his eyes to hers, but he couldn't seem to do so yet.  Instead, he continued.

"And that mare ran my brother and I RAGGED for weeks - we'd planned to case the vault within a day or two, but Ms. Blackwater kept us going and going and going... until we were so exhausted that we couldn't muster the strength to even scope the manor, let alone the vault.  Then, she revealed to us the truth she'd been hiding..."

NOW, he locked eyes with Ziggy.

"... she already knew.  She'd heard from one of her sources that we'd be on the way, and she'd planned the entire thing for nothing more than a lesson to us both.  But during this time, we'd both shown her that we were hard workers and that we took whatever abuse she hurled at us with aplomb.  Therefore, she gave us a very limited option: Either we would be summarily arrested and jailed, along with whatever justice the Princesses might have in mind for us... or we would continue to work for Madam Vylia, and she would not only house and pay us, but she would help us maintain our secrecy so that we could remain in her employ."

Looking down again, he gave yet another hefty sigh.

"That was almost a decade ago - and she's been our boss ever since.  We almost constantly work hard for her, but she does keep us fed and housed... and, to be honest, THIS work is a lot easier on my conscience than the other job was.  The only ones who know of our truth are the Blackwaters, the two of us, Taps the mailmare... and now, you."

He shut his eyes, expecting harsh words from the pegazebra.

"I'll understand if you're disgusted with me, and I'll not bother you further... but please, tell nopony about this; it could get us in a LOT of trouble, or... o-or worse..."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Clockwork did his best to make haste and follow the maid to where he hoped Luther was. "It's a nice place here, rather spacious" he says as he keeps a look around the manor and tried to see if he could spot any weakspots, for if what Knee Slapper said about rivalries was true, then he'd have to keep a look our for anything or some places that the rivals could use to gain access to either the manor or the quarry. "So uh Knee Slapper has told me there's been trouble with rivals and thieves?" he queries, "just how much trouble have they been? Cos if I'm going to be acting as some sort of security on the side, I need to know the details" he says, following the maid that was nearly out of sight, but he had managed to catch up.

He continued to look around the manor, still keeping a look out for weak spots and sighs, wondering just what he had gotten himself into. "Also, is there anything that you can tell me about the ponies that live and work here, more specifically Silver Stud, she says she knows my sister, but the rest of the letter was kind of...damaged" he explains, though he was unsure if the maid had heard him or if she was even listening to him. While looking around, he had seen many other ponies go about their business, and then his mind suddenly turned to the I.O.U he had found... "Also, is there a...particular pony here who likes to hug others? I got this I.O.U out of the blue before"

Just as he asked those rather mundane questions, he was lead past a couple of mares, and one, who looked to be the matron of the manor asked him what he was doing here, and he did his best to keep his composure "Oh hello ma'am, well, I had been in correspondence with Luther, who I am assuming is your husband about working here, and he has been very gracious as to allow me to work here." he says, rubbing the back of his neck with a hoof "Though I am also here to see a mare who works here, a Silver Studs..she sent me a letter but it was kind of damaged" he explains. He continued to look around, this time slightly nervously though "My name is Clockwork Gears, by the way, ma'am"

Edited by Goddess Sunset Shimmer
  • Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis @Natasha Xalian

The crystalline mare flashed a reassuring smile to her hostess.  "An unfortunate event, to be sure, but look to the future, my dear!  With your permission, I will host a soiree here, in your honor.  They may grumble, but I promise you, simply promote me as the hostess and you will be guaranteed a crowded affair."  Carnelian flipped a lock of mane over her shoulder.  "I'm a bit of a household name.~"

She stopped with her Vylia, her eyes looking over the pony she had stopped to speak to.  Her icy blue gaze did not judge, nor did it presume.  It simply pierced, observing silently from the background, her grin betraying her amusement and curiosity.

@Randimaxis 

"Well, erm, uh..."  So many choices!  They all sounded interesting, but just how long would they be able to keep his interest?  Carnelian had always commented on his short attention span, and the only thing he really seemed to enjoy doing for long periods of time was reading, and that was typically a one-pony activity.

IVgC84B.png

"W-why not all of the above?  We can visit all three, perhaps?  Miss Carnelian would have a fit if I got dirty, but I do have magic!"

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

Scarlet studied the two notes that Taps had given to her. "Um Taps, we are alone... No one here but us." Stating the obvious, unless she meant for them to go to a place where there was next to zero possibility to be disturbed, though in her mind her own kitchen fits that bill completely.  "Unless you think somewhere else would be better, but I can tell you right now no one comes in here but me... and well you, but then that doesn't really matter all that much since you are the one who wishes to speak... well write, since you're mute to me." 

She went to a room just next to the kitchen and got a pair of chairs and dragged them back into the kitchen. "Unless you have another location here, talk to me... ug WRITE to me, I don't see many better places for a private chat." 

5983f66930420_Scarletsbanner2.png.96aa89fa70e2e7eeaf44a9cb3b394b62.png

• Brohoof 2

On 8/3/2017 at 2:15 AM, Natasha Xalian said:

"Oh hello ma'am, well, I had been in correspondence with Luther, who I am assuming is your husband about working here, and he has been very gracious as to allow me to work here... though I am also here to see a mare who works here, a Silver Studs..she sent me a letter but it was kind of damaged.  My name is Clockwork Gears, by the way, ma'am"

Vylia eyeballed Clockwork with snide confidence.

"Well, so you're a new hire for my husband - how charming."

Regardless of what may have been her opinion, she gave the stallion a nod.  "I am Vylia Blackwater, matron of this home and the one who issues the pay... so you'd best keep on my good side, understood?  Frankly, whatever Luther has decided to do about staffing around here is purely his own business - but IF whatever mistakes you make make end up costing our coffers even a single bit?"

She gave a pleasant, almost sparkling laugh.  "Well... let's just say it would be best if you didn't, shall we?"  Vylia gave a glance in Carnelian's direction, then turned back to Clockwork with a broad and almost shark-like smile.

"Now, since you apparently have an appointment with Luther, that means you'll no doubt be around a bit; mind you stay out from underhoof, and as long as you're no burden, you'll work out fine here doing... whatever it is you're supposed to be doing, I'm sure.  So, that being said, I do hope-" her eyes wandered to his back, and a slight smirk appeared, "... that you'll understand if I leave you to the maid for escorting; Luther's office is not too far, and my staff is competent.  Now, pardon us."

With that, Vylia turned back to Carnelian, gesturing to the stairs before ascending them.  "I would have indeed made thorough introductions, dearie... but I'm fairly certain he's not worth our time."  She said this as if he couldn't hear her... although it was obvious that he could  "Now, on with the tour!  Allow me to show you a brief glimpse of the number of bedrooms we have here - we could practically house an armada, I'm certain!"

That said, Vylia began ascending the large, plateaued stairs, headed for the second floor landing.  The maid from earlier, however, was standing right behind Clockwork.  

"Well..?  Are you coming?"  As the matron of the house moved along, the maid leaned in closely.  "Don't mind Madam Vylia... she's got her head stuck up her cutie mark."

With that, she began to climb the stairs as well.  "Third floor; the BIIIIIIIG oak doors at the end of the west hallway.  Come on."

10 hours ago, Hazard Time said:

"W-why not all of the above?  We can visit all three, perhaps?  Miss Carnelian would have a fit if I got dirty, but I do have magic!"

Dax's grin went as wide as it possibly could.

"Trust me - I know where to step to avoid dirt; you should see the fit Mother has when I get mud on the floor!  But it's okay - there's a LOT to see, and I'm glad to have two-..."

Dax glanced over at Blitz Boom, and smiled at how she was positively smothering Silver.

"... well, at least ONE friend to show it off to.  Blitzy'll probably see it later, no doubt - but for now, I guess we could make our way to the Vault, if you like?  I mean," he gestured to the enormous boulder sticking out of the ground at the end of Shed Row, "it IS right there, after all.  If you would rather explore elsewhere, I'll understand... but I think you'd appreciate seeing the Blackwater Emerald up close!"

Call, who was still waiting with the group, gave an anxious glance toward the medical shed... but remained quiet, steadfastly keeping his peepers on the little firecracker that was ingratiating herself to the resident maintenance mare.  If THAT one got away from him...

He shuddered to think of what might happen.

9 hours ago, Mentis Soliloquy said:

"Unless you have another location here, talk to me... ug WRITE to me, I don't see many better places for a private chat." 

Taps gave a slight roll of the eyes, but nodded in hesitant agreement as Scarlet brought chairs.  She took a seat in one of them, turning it around backwards before settling onto it.  She then deftly took the pencil and went to town on the pad, scribbling with a furor.  Her mismatched eyes were locked on the page, and a single drop of sweat rolled down her cheek as she wrote.  When she finished, she held it out to the cookmare.  It read:

[I feel that I should explain myself a bit, due to the events that happened during the impromptu bath we all took.  As somepony who honestly tries to do what's right, I saw that you were suffering so greatly, and I knew I had access to a means of ending that pain with you.  Granted, I don't usually do such a thing as I did, but I have my reasons for making sure you survived.  Trust me when I tell you that I am glad that you're alive, but I feel as if the method I used to do so might have been somewhat premature.  However, what's done is done, and done bun can't be UNdone - so I now come to the point of asking you to keep what happened JUST BETWEEN THE TWO OF US.  The means used to revive you were the product of something quite personal, and I beg you to respect my request, and not tell a single, solitary soul about how you were brought back from the brink of death.  This is extremely serious; not even your family should know about this.  I am not going to threaten you, nor will I give you some nebulous warning - I will simply tell you that the only one who'll be in jeopardy will be ME.  I ask you to keep this secret for MY benefit; please consider it.]

Taps' muzzle held a questioning, somewhat worried look, and she absent-mindedly chewed her pencil lightly as she awaited Scar's reply.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

"Awh, no electric stuff? But I wanna learn things so I can make my brain-hat work! Powering it with magic is stupid."

Blitz looked disappointing and lowered her ears for a moment, but cheered up quickly after that and went back to bouncy and happy. It was hard for her to stay down for long since there were always other happy things to focus on, like her being allowed to see and perhaps help with a repair here in the quarry. That sounded like it could be fun too, and involved tools! She loved tools. So many things you could make with enough of them.

"Okay, electric stuff later, promise? I take my box too then! Explosives and fun things for everypony, hehe."

Using her horn, she made sure her bag were secured and closed on her back, then looked up at Silver with big, gleeful eyes.

"But enough of this talky talky. Let's go fix and/or destroy things! I wanna learn and be better."

It would be for the best if Silver were direct in what exactly she'd want Blitz help with if she didn't want issues, as well as making sure to watch what she were meddling around with. Blitz were a McGyver when it came to making explosives, and if she was given enough to work with and little supervision, she'd end up leveling something. Potentially the entire quarry.

It was likely for the best that Blitz didn't touch too much on the subject of school either right now, as she were more focused on the work ahead instead of that reference. Her short stay in the Ponyville school were... Well, it'd bring into question the part where she claimed she wasn't crazy, that was for sure.

Meanwhile, Ziggy were looking intently on Beck as he told his backstory, but didn't say a word through it all. She just looked, kept cleaning his hoof, and did hers to not pass her judgement until he had told his entire story.

"So you used to be thieves? Huh, I would've never guessed."

She grinned at him, then stopped her cleaning for a bit to rise up to her hooves and give him a big, smiling hug.

"Hehe, silly. You really thought I'd think badly about you for something that happened ten years ago? Everypony deserves a second chance to prove they can do better, and atone for bad things they have done in the past, and you and your brother have risen up to that. I mean sure, perhaps the threat of a prison sentence looming over your head had something to do with it, but it wouldn't be all, or you would've tried something since then. Since you're both still here, you didn't, so you're good ponies now. Got yourself up and straightened your act or whatever it is they say."

Ziggy looked up into the ceiling, with her hooves still wrapped around Beck, with a thoughtful look passingly go over her face.

"I can understand why you'd be less than happy about others knowing this though. Some ponies can be pretty judgemental for some reason. Best that I keep my word and never say a peep about this to anypony, right? Hehe."

A tight squeeze later - which were surprisingly hard to get out of if he tried - and she'd be back on the floor, where she could go on cleaning Beck's hoof.

"It's kinda cool to learn that Mrs. Blackwater is that informed about things. Never thought she'd be that sort, or the kind who would willingly take in a couple of renowned thieves and give them a chance. Sounds much nicer than what the quarry workers normally says about her.

I'm curious though, who were you? Quick or Draw? I'm guessing... The later? Seems more natural to have you named second twice over for convenience and stuff. Oh! And do you think there is anypony out there looking for the old yous? "

Might be that Ziggy didn't judge Beck for who he had been, but that didn't mean that she wasn't curious, and a little worried if it turned out he were sure there were some out there for him and Call. Poor stallions would never be able to leave the quarry with that hanging over their head unless they had some sort of protection with them, and how could it be a life to be trapped mostly in the same building year in and year out? Sure, they had gotten a life out of it, but life should include the freedom to explore, and look around the country. Not what kind of amounted to house arrest.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:59 PM, Randimaxis said:

@Orange Sparks 

"Hey, there... you lost, chum?"

The friendly-looking purple unicorn trotted up to Clockwork, a kind smile on his muzzle as he made his way over.

"Y'know what?  I'll bet you're new here, aren'cha?  There's been a lot of talk lately about a new... ummm, 'arrival', as it were... and I guess you'd be him!"

The stallion looked Clockwork over, then gave a low whistle.  "Saaaaaay... you look pretty dapper there; you can't even TELL that you're a... well, YOU know!"  He gave Clock a nudge and a wink.

"But that's part of the idea, right?  So, let's not mention it ANY further, and we can take you right up to the Manor - Mr. Blackwater's gotta be waiting, and I'm sure he'll be glad to FINALLY meet with you.  So, let's get a hoof on!"

He began to head toward the dirt road that led around the back of the quarry towards the manor house up on the hill.  As he walked, he began to chatter amiably.

"So, I'll bet you already have quite a list of accomplishments, eh?  I mean, someone like YOU should technically have enough going for you to easily be able to make your rounds here - heck, even if anyone could stop you, you'll have complete authority; The Boss has had it up to HERE with all the shenanigans from Cragg's crew, and he'll be glad to see somepony who can get their work done - and flawlessly, I might add - with such ingenuity as I've heard you have.  I mean, WOW... must be quite a thing to be invited to the Blackwater Quarry like you did, huh?"

He seemed nice enough... yet what was he talking about?

@Handsome Changeling

The forepony chuckled.

"Yeah, he shure does; folla me."

Chuck turned and began making his way towards the back of the lot, to the dirt road that led up to the manor house.  However, he suddenly stopped and raised a hoof to let Void know to pause a moment.  He watched as a purple unicorn and his guest walked by, and Chuck leaned out a bit to hear.  After a moment, his eyes widened, and he began to snicker behind a hoof.  Once the two got far enough away, Chuck continued to the path.

Turning to Void again, he spoke low and soft... which sounded strange from the gruff forepony.

"Yeah, see... looks like it woiked.  I knew youze were comin', so's I started tellin' folks all sortsa stuff abouda new fella comin' in... but I also said I hadda brudda comin', too.  Dat way, dey'd see me witchoo, an' just assume you waz my kin; o'course, dat also means dere gonna autamatic'ly t'ink ANYPONE ELSE'S heah ta do YER job - like dat unicorn dat jus' passed?  He t'inks DAT fella's YOU."

Chuck gave a short bark of a laugh.  "Should keep da heat offa ya, so's y'can do ya job widdout much trubble... I just feel BAD fer DAT pone!"

With this said, he began to make his way uphill.  He turned to Void and smirked.

"So... any clue azta whatcha gonna do 'r where ya startin' at?  Since I do a lotta da coodinatin' heah, I figger if you tell me who you gotta watch, I c'n put 'em on duty tageddah, an' you can obzoive 'em from dere.  I make da skedules, so we can woik togeddah on dis, as I don' want nopone heah ta sabo-tagey nuttin; I can line 'em up, and youse can sink 'em.  Sound good?"

@Blitz Boom@Hazard Time

He gave Blitz a bit of a grin.  "Well... sometimes, it's really difficult to live down a mistake; BIG mistakes can sometimes take a few generations to completely fade from Canter-... I mean, Equestria's memory.  But it's okay - I'm kinda used to it, to be honest.  Still... I really hope that the day comes that my family is seen as a true boon to ponykind; I'll keep trying to work at that until then."

His smile grew wider as he looked at the diminutive mare.  "But thanks for the vote of confidence, Blitzy."  He also turned to his other guest.  "I really hope the thought of that doesn't color us in the wrong light, Key... but it's really hard to live in the shadow of such history, sometimes."

Dax reached the front gates, the two butlers still flanking the Blackwater and his guests.  The black and green stallion gave the grand wall a sweeping gesture.  It was broad and tall, close to ten stories, and was wholly made of steel - not rock or even concrete.  Every inch of it looked as though it could withstand dragon's breath... perhaps maybe even a dragon itself.  During the morning, it was doubtless the light of day would be blocked from the quarry yard; the wall would see to every morning being cold and shady.

"This gate is one of the strongest NON-magical structures in Equestria; Rhenny Blackwater, a zebra of quite a different stripe, was exceedingly paranoid about plots against his life, so he had the wall constructed - along with a number of other defenses that, I'm happy to report, have been either made safe or wholly dismantled.  Strangely enough, he might have been right - he simply vanished from the quarry grounds, all the doors locked tight, and no evidence of foul play of any sort.  To this day, nopony has any idea what happened to Rhenny... or simply won't say."

He gave his guests a wiggle of his eyebrows, then chuckled softly.  "Okay, now we can make our way over to Shed Row, and from there toward the Blackwater Vault.  It's INSIDE a boulder, y'know?  I always thought that was reeeeeeally cool, to be honest!"

Dax gladly led the way, and Beck and Call followed the two guests.

@Hazard Time

Vylia was enraptured by tales of the upper class, and audially devoured every tender, juicy morsel.  The maids were seen only briefly, and that was to freshen drinks and restock munchables.  Otherwise, the two of them were by themselves for quite some time.  

Not that the Blackwater matriarch seemed to mind one iota; company, to her, was exceedingly rare... and quite welcome, if not actively sought after.  She laughed where appropriate, and nodded as well... yet there was the strange, yet distinct impression that Vylia was NOT simply 'going through the motions'... she was genuinely intrigued and entertained by  Carnelian, which was normally somewhat unheard of among the Canterlot Elite - if you weren't bored, you weren't good enough.  Yet, here was the pegasus, hanging on every word the Viscountess spoke, genuinely enjoying her company.

At a proper place to do so, Vylia said, "Oh, I do hope that we get to do this more often, dearie - I simply LOVE hearing about such things, especially from one who isn't afraid to say so!  Now, as far as supper goes, might I inquire about what sorts of foodstuffs you would prefer?  I certainly DO have a number of cooks and a menu already preparing as we speak, but... well, I suppose I'm asking if there is anything in particular that you'd wish to see added to tonight's lineup?  I would be happy to ensure that you'll have SOMEthing to look forward to, yes?"

@cwhip9

The soup finished, here eyes widened a bit at the question, yet she answered - though so softly, Cress' ears were the only ones able to make out what she said.

".. a-a-almost a week."

She gave an ashamed look, then scuffed a hoof on the floor a bit before looking back up.

"I really, really tried to be a good pony - and I was! - but, nopony ever gave me a chance to.  They w-were all convinced that I'd... eh... um..."

Her voice dropped again.  "That I'd drink their b-b-blood."

She gave a deep, troubled sigh, then looked back up into Crescent's face, those big eyes of hers almost hypnotic with their depth.

"But I would never, ever, ever do that to anypony!  Not w-without their permission, of course!  That's... well, that's WRONG!  And I'd never want to hurt ANY pony!  But... but you can't t-tell others what they don't want to hear, so..." she sighed again, a glum note to her sweet voice, "... so I've been on the wing ever since."

For some reason, it seemed as though that last revelation hurt her a bit; she looked quite sad, and her eyes were tearing up.

As the mare told her story cresent placed a comforting wing on her soldier "Look from one bat to another every pony regardless of wings horns or neither you cant let others get on you like that your a batpony for night mothers sake be proud of that! Also most ponys fear what they don't know, getting over that fear with other ponys is hard but being that knowledge helps everypony" he said with a rather encouraging tone that almost sounded like a pep talk. No it was a pep, or more bat talk it seems. "tell you what have thought of the forest life, I do know a family of farmer pony's that could help." he said

As the two bats eat their soup more Cresent followed it up "look, life on the wing cant be done for ever lets fix that once done here ill give you a tour of the mine, perhaps help with a job. The mine needs more guides" he said  

• Brohoof 2