Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open [RP] The Blackwater Quarry

Randimaxis

On 10/17/2019 at 11:20 AM, Randimaxis said:

[If I may ask, what is it like for the two of you, being on the road and free to do as you wish?  I've not had a chance to be my own mare for quite some time, and I'm curious as to how it feels?]

Dahlia smiled at that.  "Oh it's no issue at all," she remarked with a wave of her hoof.  "My time isn't wasted so long as you received an answer for a question you were seeking.  As for living life on the road, it's-"

"Absolutely wonderful," her sister interjected.  "You get to see so many sights, meet so many unique ponies, and have enough misadventures to have plenty of juicy stories to tell."

"As I was going to say," Dahlia continued, slightly miffed at Ophelia's rude interruption.  "That it is not something I would've considered voluntarily.  My sister may like her independence, but I prefer safety and security, especially where wild animals and ruffians roam."

"In case you haven't picked up on it, my sister is boring."  Though her eyes remained covered, one could almost feel that they were rolling from behind her bangs.

---------------------------------

On 10/17/2019 at 11:20 AM, Randimaxis said:

He carefully placed a hoof on Key's shoulder.  "Follow your heart, Master Key.  Even if you don't win Dax's love for yourself, you will most certainly have a friend for life in him - as HE wears his emotions on his sleeve as you do.  And if you DO win his heart, then you'll know it was meant to be."  

As Beck spoke, Key listened with rapt attention.  His cheeks blushed and he smiled nervously as he averted his gaze.  Was it really that simple?  If Dax wasn't interested in stallions, would their friendship not become awkward with the knowledge of the unicorn's interest?  He thought it would at first, but as Beck spoke, it occurred to him that the awkward situation surely was the lesser of two evils when compared to the pain of keeping that interest repressed and pretending that, every time he found himself alone in Dax's presence, that there was nothing important he wanted to say or do.

"Thank you, Beck," Key answered.  "I will have to find the best time to tell him, and in a tactful way.  However, I do not want to compete.  I cannot compete with someone that he has a history with.  We have only known each other since yesterday."  He cast his eyes down low, searching himself for just how he was going to go about this.  Was he going to have to stalk Dax and wait for him to be alone?  No, he wasn't one for subterfuge, and he doubted the pegasus would appreciate that.  It would have to be natural, and it would have to come out on its own.

• Brohoof 1

On 10/17/2019 at 9:44 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"I've found anywhere can be romantic if it's with someone you love, though private moments are most often found in private places to be sure."

"Oh! If he hasn't already seen you, the Vice Consul said he had an important matter to discus with you the next time he comes up.  I won't ask about what, but do look out for him when he does get up here again."

Knee lifted an eyebrow.  "Hey, yeah?  Now there's a pony I wouldn't mind seein' again - he's quite a card, y'know?  Like, a king..."

"Which makes you the joker, I suppose?" Dax offered, smiling slyly.  He was rewarded for his efforts with another mane tousling.  "You betcha, kiddo.  Thanks heaps, Mystie," he teasingly nicknamed her, "you're a real gem.  An emerald, if Dax's glances at you are any measure!"

Dax bristled (in good fun), giving an indignant "HEY!" while simultaneously trying not to blush so brightly.

"He's going to tease you for this, but you're really cute when you blush."

And with that, Dax became *ahem* cuter than ever before.

Slapper gave a knowing chuckle, then turned back to glance at Mystic.  "You?  You're fun... I like you.  You're dignified, but not stuffy.  Always a good thing."  He then leaned almost cartoonishly close over Dax and his grin turned smarmy.  "And she's totally right, Daxie me old chestnut... I'll be making sure you don't live ANY of this down."

Dax buried his electric red muzzle in his hooves, though he did wear a sheepish grin as he did, and his mood was still light.  He was embarrassed, yes... but when it had to do with Mystic, he didn't mind so much, perhaps?

"Okay you kids, you two have fun," Slapper said as he waved, turning from them to head off, presumably to either work his shift or gather what he needed for his garden picnic tonight.  Dax watched as he left, then turned to his zebra friend with a question.

"Did... did Slapper just say he had a date tonight?"  He chuckled absently and shook his head.  "I guess wonders'll never cease, hunh?  Good on him.  It'll be weird, though - I don't think I've ever seen him leave the quarry before.  Maybe it's someone who works here?"

On 10/21/2019 at 10:57 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"I promise I won't make anything go boom without you knowing, Dax-Dad. And I'll bring the most shiny, bestest things to you first, every time."

Luther had three stallions - all fine specimens of their kind - and he had his particular thoughts on them all, though rest assured that he had love for all three of them.  The eldest, Harcourt, had been brave and tough, Daxter had been intelligent and sensitive, and Oglevy was brash and proud.  They were most certainly something in this life that he cherished, even if he wasn't very good at showing it, and brought him pride and quiet joy more often than they realized.

However, deep inside, Luther had always wondered what it would have been like to have a little filly.

He remained in place for a moment or two, allowing Blitz to embrace the face, as it were.  Then, with infinite gentleness, he reached up and carefully unlatched the vice-like grip of Blitz on his muzzle, and set her down on the floor slowly.  Once she was there, he regarded her once more - simply taking in the fact of who and what she was, and giving a slight nod, he cast his glance at Silver Studs.

"She is your responsibility here; whatever she breaks, YOU will fix."

"Absolutely!" Silver almost twittered.

"You will feed her if she needs it."

"Of course!"

"She will stay in your presence."

"I... y-yes, I can do that!"

"And anything else that needs doing?"

Silver smiled broadly.  "I'm yer handimare!"

Luther nodded shortly, then looked at Blitz.  "Under supervision, you will have access to the storeroom, the toolshed and the furnace; you are not to operate any of these without permission or supervision, but you are free to experiment within safety measures and within reason.  Keep costs low, and I will have no issues.  Thank you for your demonstration - welcome to the Blackwater Quarry, Blitz Boom."

With that, he simply turned and walked back toward the path leading from the other mountain the quarry was located on.

It was several seconds before Silver grabbed her in a bear hug, squee-ing like mad as she bounced in place.

"BlitzitworkedohitworkeditreallydidhewassoimpresseddidyouseeBlitzohitWOOOOOOORKED!"

Apparently, she was a little excited, too.  Go figure.

6 hours ago, Hazard Time said:

"Oh it's no issue at allMy time isn't wasted so long as you received an answer for a question you were seeking.  As for living life on the road, it's-"

"Absolutely wonderful!  You get to see so many sights, meet so many unique ponies, and have enough misadventures to have plenty of juicy stories to tell."

"As I was going to say, that it is not something I would've considered voluntarily.  My sister may like her independence, but I prefer safety and security, especially where wild animals and ruffians roam."

"In case you haven't picked up on it, my sister is boring.

Taps covered her muzzle and gave a silent giggle at the two of them, enjoying watching the back and forth.  She scribbled on her pad again, holding it up for both to see.

[No - if anyone is boring, that would be ME!  Yup, deliver the mail and packages, same routine routes, same old Pony Express building - nothing but more paperwork and less sanity, some days!  But as sisters, you two must have some good things to say about each other, right?]

6 hours ago, Hazard Time said:

"Thank you, Beck. I will have to find the best time to tell him, and in a tactful way.  However, I do not want to compete.  I cannot compete with someone that he has a history with.  We have only known each other since yesterday."

Beck simply gave a snarky grin.  "This is why they call it, 'The Grand Dance', Master Key - you shouldn't be so discouraged by the advent of a rival..."

He leaned forward slightly, his grin turning mischievous.  "... you should find it a challenge to your social skills, hmmm?  See it as a test of your abilities, not something to back away from.  After all, how will you ever get enough practice at social pretense to become a skilled orator unless you put a hoof into the ring and make an effort to upstage your competition?  Even if you only make an attempt or two, it will still count as the first steps along a new path of possibilities, yes?"

He stepped back, smiling coolly.  "And I do believe Madam Carnelian would enjoy seeing your initiative in this endeavor, eh?"  

@Randimaxis

Mystic, overall, was impressed by Slapper. It seemed that Illiad's depiction of him had been quite accurate. She was however caught off guard by the nickname, and blushed as it was used, but she quickly regained control of herself at Slapper's compliment.

17 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

You're dignified, but not stuffy.  Always a good thing.

She nodded back at Slapper, "Thank you, I'd rather not be as formal as my mother, but some level of class is a big help."

As Slapper was about to leave she would call out, "May we meet again soon, enjoy your excursion."

Slapper now departed she would return her attentions to Dax.

"Did... did Slapper just say he had a date tonight?" 

Mystic would look inquisitive, "Oh? He struck me as quite the charmer, it surprises me that his going on a date would be so unusual. Though if he's not often to leave here I could see why. Still..." She started pulling Dax along their original route, "Weren't we headed somewhere?" She seemed excited, her earlier nervousness fading now that she had another favorable encounter at the quarry.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

On 11/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, Randimaxis said:

He remained in place for a moment or two, allowing Blitz to embrace the face, as it were.  Then, with infinite gentleness, he reached up and carefully unlatched the vice-like grip of Blitz on his muzzle, and set her down on the floor slowly.  Once she was there, he regarded her once more - simply taking in the fact of who and what she was, and giving a slight nod, he cast his glance at Silver Studs

Hehe, Dax-Dad's face were all tough and full of muscles, but with soft'ish fur on it. Totally opposite of how he looked, what with him looking tough, but being soft inside. In his own way perhaps, but she were sure that he were a big, happy snugglebear somewhere in there, even if he looked like he were all business and serious stuff most of the time.

Just look at how he had been to her! Sure he had been kinda grumpy at first, but he had told Silver to let her use good materials, had actively asked her to make good explosives from it - something which nopony she could remember had told her to do before - and then shown her this place where they could fire them off safely, so that nopony got accidentally hurt. And then when the explosives had been a huuuuge success, he complimented her and told Silver that she could keep her as an apprentice, which included learning all sorts of things from the smartest pony Blitz knew about, whilst also supplying Luther with loads of explosives. Long as she didn't explode something out of nowhere, which were totally fair. It was his place after all, so it wouldn't be nice of her to make a big mess of that unless he asked her to.

Why, he had even bee receptive to her hug this time around! What kinda pony would have done all those nice things, and welcomed hugs? Not a bad pony, that were for sure. He were just a little tough on the outside, and not anywhere as bad as the ponies she had asked for directions from made him out to be. Perhaps they just hadn't given him the chance to show the happy pony inside of him, and just judged him on how he looked? They sure missed out on a nice stallion if that were the case.

After Blitz had been put down on the ground, she'd look between him and Silver with a big grin still plastered on her face, as the two of them started to talk terms and conditions, from the sounds of it. Seems like it were just details on what were said before though, as no random explosions meant that Blitz wouldn't have much of a chance to destroy things - wasn't like she wanted to cause mayhem like a crazy pony after all - and Silver already fed her and kept an eye on her, so that were already set and done. This were just sort of Luther making sure it were kept that way it sounded like. Never hurt to be sure though, so that was a-okay, hehe.

"Under supervision, you will have access to the storeroom, the toolshed and the furnace; you are not to operate any of these without permission or supervision, but you are free to experiment within safety measures and within reason.  Keep costs low, and I will have no issues.  Thank you for your demonstration - welcome to the Blackwater Quarry, Blitz Boom."

"Don't use lot's of stuff, and don't go poking at things alone, or when I'm told no? I can do that. I think? I'll try my bestest to remember it. Bye bye, Dax-Dad."

Blitz would wave at Luther as he left, doing her best to keep what he said in mind. It seemed fairly easy to keep in mind, so long as she didn't just walk around and got inspired without thinking, she bet it would be easy enough. That being said, school and the orphanage had also had rules, and... Yeeeeah, things would depend a lot on Silver's ability to keep an eye on Blitz, and not letting her have idle hooves for too long.

And speaking of Silver...

"BlitzitworkedohitworkeditreallydidhewassoimpresseddidyouseeBlitzohitWOOOOOOORKED!"

Blitz felt like a squeaky toy as she were scooped up by Silver, and given a hug that would have made her give off a big ol' honk, in case she had been one of said toys. Not that she would've been heard over Silver's happy voice just zooming out of her muzzle like she were on a time limit. Honestly she didn't understand all of it, but she got the gist of it, and with the energy Silver were pushing it out with, the filly were feeling mighty hyper about this herself as well. They really had an amplifying effect on one anothers moods, once one got started on getting riled up.

"Yeeeeey! Dax-Dad likes me, and the explosion? It's my bestest one ever! Just look at the blast damage, and Dax-Dad were impressed too. I bet Dax is gonna be really happy to hear that."

She'd try to wriggle free, though Silver were the deciding factor in whenever she were gonna be able to do that, seeing as Blitz were too unfocused to use magic right now, and Silver were physically superior to her.

"Oh, Ooh! We gotta find Dax now, pleeeease? I wanna tell him what happened, and then take him to his dad so we can see the pretty fireworks I made for him! I bet he's gonna be Really happy about everything."

She wanted to show off to Dax and drag him up here so that he could see things eventually, but more importantly in her mind were it to go and tell him that things had gone over great, and that not only had his dad not kicked her out or anything like that, but asked her to stay and make explosives for him. She bet he were gonna be relieved by hearing that, and when he were then told that she still had a fireworks display for him, that he could see along with her and his dad? Hehe, he were gonna be smiling for days, she just knew it!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Blitz Boom @Randimaxis

Crescent found himself feeling like he had explored an area far too long, as it didn't match any map he had on him or from his memory. Feeling it was time to see some air, the batpony would began to retrace his steps.

An hour later, outside the mines tunnel...

He did feel like an apology to Silver was needed.  He was munching on exactly how to say it; going off a lot of guesswork, and it usually works out one of two ways. Either he's right or he gets burned... and from how Silver reacted, he decided to put that in the burn pile of lessons.

Lessons! 

Echo! 

The bat face-winged.  That's right, the lost bat mare I took in, still surpised at it all. what is she hiding from? why is she here?  

She was a big curiosity to the map maker, out of all times in the mine. Another batpony shows up, eager for a job and very close to the chest about herself....Crescent had a hunch it wasn't like his level of baggage...but she was smart enough to hide in a mine. That seemed to be the big thing to Crescent...the irony doesn't escape him, but again not of his level... it was something more. 

He decided to take things one at a time this week... hopefully, that will mean less burns, confusion, and explosions... which the latter is an odd thing to wish were less of in a mine.

Then again this was blackwater, surprises always had a habit of being closer than one thinks around here, probably why cresent always came back.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 8:35 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Oh? He struck me as quite the charmer, it surprises me that his going on a date would be so unusual. Though if he's not often to leave here I could see why. Still... weren't we headed somewhere?"

"OH!  Yeah, that's right!  I was taking you to meet Chuck!  C'mon!"

Dax's run up the hill was interesting; the incline was steep enough to give flatland ponies a workout, but the mountain-dwelling Dax didn't even seem slowed down by the change in grade - he simply charged up it as if it were as level as a buckball court.  Mystic could see the cords of muscle standing out on his legs, but he never even seemed to strain from the incline.  He simply walked it as if it wasn't there.

At the top of the rise, there was a HUGE hole in the side of the mountain.  Cool, dank air rolled out from it, even as ponies with carts and equipment rolled into it.  There was a good bit of activity here, and it was bustling and busy.  Ponies were going in and out of the caverns, though not so many that it was dangerous; there was a bit of room for the two of them, and nopony got directly in their way as they walked along.

He was at the entrance to the mine itself; a plain-looking grey stallion, his black tail tied in a thick braid and a short, no-nonsense mane on his head.  He currently had a clipboard on some sort of spring-loaded device around his neck, and was writing with a pencil in his teeth.  When he glanced up at them, his mouth turned up a corner and he nodded as they came up to him.  Placing the pencil in a groove on the clipboard, he looked the zebra mare over.

"Howyadoin' dere, Daxie?  An' who's disWaidaminnit, don't tell me... izzat Ziggy's cousin 'r' somethin'?  She don' look liker, so's I don't t'ink DAT'S it... an' I ain't knowna noplace 'round heah where dere's a zebra camp, so..." he grinned shrewdly, "... dat means she's prolly got somethin' ta do wit dat trip youse took ta Troy, huh?"

Well, the accent was certainly as... exotic... as Illiad had related, wasn't it?

"Chuck List," Dax proudly proclaimed, "meet Mystic Glow!  Mystic, the head forepony of the Blackwater Quarry!"

The stallion gave a chuckle.  "Heh... niceta meetcha; howyadoin' dere?"

On 11/14/2019 at 9:15 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"Yeeeeey! Dax-Dad likes me, and the explosion? It's my bestest one ever! Just look at the blast damage, and Dax-Dad were impressed too. I bet Dax is gonna be really happy to hear that."

"Yeah, that explosion was the bomb!  Well, maybe not so much as it was A bomb, but more like it was the biggest, most impressive blast I've ever SEEN!  If you keep making stuff like that, Mister Blackwater might have to expand his business!  Oh Blitzy, I think you're gonna fit in here just fine and dandy!"

Silver continued to dance a bit of a happy jig, then she turned to face Blitz with excitement in her entire expression.

"Oh, we've got so much we can do!  Do you wanna make something else?  Or would you want to do some research with me?  OH!  Want me to teach you about steam technology?  Or what about chemistry?  Wait, wait... can't get ahead of ourselves, here, or at least we shouldn't!"

She looked the little dynamo in the eyes.  "Blitz, can you tell me exactly how much formal schooling you have?  I mean, if you need more, no problem - I'm sure I could do it, but I need to know what you know, so we can work more closely together on stuff.  If you're lacking somewhere, I can teach you about it - and if you're caught up elsewhere, we might be able to focus on that for a bit!  OH, it's going to be SO much fun!"

Silver Studs, an adult in the eyes of ponies Blitz's age, was dancing around and carrying on as if she were a filly herself, giggling and smiling from ear to ear. 

On 11/26/2019 at 5:30 PM, cwhip9 said:

That's right, the lost bat mare I took in, still surprised at it all.  What is she hiding from?  Why is she here?  

Echo, the lovely bat-pony he'd met, had been staying in the shed he used for a bunkhouse.  She hadn't been any sort of burden, had even swept the shed out.  She spoke softly, and was almost constantly nervous... yet, with time, she'd spoken a good bit with Crescent about a number of idle things: buckball, Luna's latest decrees, the latest food craze in Canterlot... but when it came to her past, the cute little mare had clammed up, gone quiet, and stammered and fidgeted until Cress was uncomfortable enough to stop asking questions.

It was weird, but the mare wouldn't talk about her past.  What was more, she seemed ready to talk about almost anything else; she seemed kind of starved for attention, and seemed to enjoy every second she was talking with Cress... so why was she being so dodgy about where she'd come from?  Granted, it was obvious she didn't want to talk about it... but damned if that didn't make him even more curious about her!

Maybe it was time to find out, and ask her until she answered?  Or maybe he could work it out of her nicely?  Maybe he could get someone else to find out for him?

Heck, maybe he should just let it go, and just enjoy her company?

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

Mystic simply had to admire Dax's ability as she, despite ample opportunity, had neglected to develop her own ability to run as he. As such she quickly fell behind, and inwardly resolved to devote more time to exercise, as it seemed this wouldn't be the first time she'd have to run up a hill in pursuit of Dax.

She was moderately winded upon catching up with Dax, but would never think of asking him to slow down for her. If anything she loved that he had something to encourage her to further improve.

She looked impressed at the mine entrance, looking at all those coming and going and seeming almost rejuvenated by the cool air from the tunnels.

Mystic looked intrigued by the machine Chuck was using to manage the clipboard, enough so that she missed most of what Chuck said to Dax, especially since she'd have to play close attention to even decipher the smallest of his words. 

She bowed politely as she was introduced, "Likewise. Illiad told me much about you, I'm  quite pleased to meet you in person."

She'd pause, looking at the machine again, "That's quite the tool you have there, it reminds me of the sort of thing the deer make. Did they make it perchance?"

Echo, the lovely bat-pony he'd met, had been staying in the shed he used for a bunkhouse.  She hadn't been any sort of burden, had even swept the shed out.  She spoke softly, and was almost constantly nervous... yet, with time, she'd spoken a good bit with Crescent about a number of idle things: buckball, Luna's latest decrees, the latest food craze in Canterlot... but when it came to her past, the cute little mare had clammed up, gone quiet, and stammered and fidgeted until Cress was uncomfortable enough to stop asking questions.

Remembering the past conversations with her the bat pony decided for today would take a break from the questions, running from something and having one dog you about it, he'd been there often enough before.

Once at the shed he trotted in "heya echo," he called taking the work helmet off hanging it on the hook.

Inside the hut he made sure she felt comfy and secure even with how it was originally designed for 1 pony.

Crescent found a second hammock and cleared enough space for her originally when she first stayed over so the two wouldn't feel uncomfortable. Then again Crescent has had better living spots before, that's when an idea struck him, open himself to questions. 

'that might really help her'

"sorry for being late, a new revien must have opened up from an explosion had to see how far it went otherwise wise id give boss a smaller report then usual" he sighed flopping on his hammock. 

• Brohoof 1

On 12/12/2019 at 12:59 PM, Randimaxis said:

"Yeah, that explosion was the bomb!  Well, maybe not so much as it was A bomb, but more like it was the biggest, most impressive blast I've ever SEEN!  If you keep making stuff like that, Mister Blackwater might have to expand his business!  Oh Blitzy, I think you're gonna fit in here just fine and dandy!"

"It's the bestest bomb I can remember ever making. Just look at the mountain! It's been cracked up real good, hehe.

But you just wait and see. Someday, I'm gonna make a bomb that can blast a tunnel straight through an entire mountain in one blast. I bet I can even make Dax-Dad smile then!"

Blitz were bouncing around, feeling like she were walking on air from a mixture of pure joy at hearing how Luther liked her explosions and wanted her around - which normally did not happen, as most were concerned that she could even make things like that - and just the infectious energy that came from Silver. A mare who Blitz saw as the pinnacle of brilliance, and who were now going to be her caretaker at the Quarry. How could she not be hyped about having a super clever mare like that teach her the ropes of everything cool. Several of which she had already mentioned as being things they could learn.

Who needed school with a teacher in awesomeness like Silver, huh? Not her, that's for sure.

On 12/12/2019 at 12:59 PM, Randimaxis said:

"Blitz, can you tell me exactly how much formal schooling you have?  I mean, if you need more, no problem - I'm sure I could do it, but I need to know what you know, so we can work more closely together on stuff.  If you're lacking somewhere, I can teach you about it - and if you're caught up elsewhere, we might be able to focus on that for a bit!  OH, it's going to be SO much fun!"

School questions? Hadn't gone over well the last time they had talked about that, but sure, Blitz could answer this. What were the odds that she'd get a small scorn over an accident again, right? Not like she'd done more than about... Six or so. That were barely anything.

"I were in the Ponyville school for 2 days, and I were gonna start in the Canterlot one, but they said something about me being a flight risk. Also I kept running away to find things to show the orphans. Fireworks really makes them happy, but there weren't any of those I knew when I got there the last time. Happy foals I knew had all gotten adopted, but the new ones still liked to see the fireworks, so it was totally worth the trip."

Blitz hadn't even been sad to see that her old friends weren't there when she last went to Canterlot. She knew how unhappy they had been generally, not having parents and feeling cast aside, so hearing they had been adopted were the best news possible in her mind. Unfortunately, she had only been able to find one of them in Canterlot after that, though he sure looked really happy with his new parents down at the shops. Hehe, they had looked sorta confused when she came over too, and giving their new foal a hug, but it had been alright. A shame they had to go to Manehattan after that, so she wouldn't see him again. Bet he had plenty of new friends now though, so he should be fine.

"I know loads of stuff though. I dunno from where. Maybe I went to school before? Hehe, no idea! All gone, gone, whoosh."

A hoof went over her head, along with the sound effect at the end, to indicate the wind just blowing through her head space, and taking all the memories away. She sure hoped they'd be returned one day though. It kinda sucked not knowing where she came from, and if she had any family left. Nopony had come forth to claim knowledge of her yet though, so it kinda seemed like her family might be dead. Well, that or not miss her, but who couldn't miss her? She were the light and fire of a party. Literally.

Afterwards, Blitz would start to run around Silver as best she could, considering the mare were dancing around and looking all electric and just giggle maniacally for about fifteen seconds, before finally trying to stop up, and sliding a few meters ahead before that actually happened. Thankfully she didn't end in a bucket or bush this time.

"Can we see Dax now? Can we? Can we? Can we? Pleeease. I wanna show him the fireworks. And tell him that his dad let me stay. And show him how I broke a mountain!"

She jumped up on her back hooves as she said this last part, happy as could be, and fell on her back, giggling like there were no tomorrow.

"He's gonna be So surprised."

Silver might have plenty of idea what they were going to do now, but Blitz would keep circling back to this, since she had originally come to this quarry to speak with her friend, and he had been all nervous about her getting kicked out or something like that. She couldn't remember anymore, but point still were that him knowing she'd be staying for a while, might make him ease up, and he'd sure be happy to see the fireworks he asked for back when they first met. Doubly so if she could make him and his dad find a time where they could see it together.

Plus, she really wanted to show off what happened to the mountain. She really doubted he had thought she'd leave an impact this big on her first day here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 12:13 AM, Randimaxis said:

[No - if anyone is boring, that would be ME!  Yup, deliver the mail and packages, same routine routes, same old Pony Express building - nothing but more paperwork and less sanity, some days!  But as sisters, you two must have some good things to say about each other, right?]

The twins looked at each other.  Ophelia giggled and Dahlia grinned.  "As obnoxiously vain as she can be sometimes, Ophelia's the only family I have, as I am the only family she has.  We do have each others' best interests at heart, though we have different ideas of what those best interests are."

"We're two peas in the same pod," Ophelia added.  "We're nothing without each other.  As much of a prude as Dada can be, she's the money-maker.  I mostly just handle public affairs and security.  Lots of ponies like to think of us as con artists, and a few of them are willing to throw hooves over it.  Word to the wise: don't mess with a former mine slave." 

The purple mare smiled proudly, though her sister seemed less amused by that.  "Can you not remind me of that?  It was hard enough spending every day, locked in that tower, but what hurt me more was worrying about you." 

Ophelia shrugged her shoulders stoically.  "It happened, and now it's over.  You don't have to worry about me any longer."

--------------------------------------

On 11/11/2019 at 12:13 AM, Randimaxis said:

"This is why they call it, 'The Grand Dance', Master Key - you shouldn't be so discouraged by the advent of a rival..."

That certainly gave the young noble pause as he considered it.  It certainly presented an opportunity to show his guardian that he had indeed been learning something all this time he had been under her tutelage, but at the same time, it would mean making an enemy of this mare that Dax likely had much more chemistry with.  If that were the case, though, then did she not already see him as a rival?  The moment it was revealed that he had feelings for Dax, would she not perceive him as a threat? 

It almost reminded him of the many diplomatic games that Carnelian had played with him.  The object was to conquer a map of Equestria by convincing the other noble houses, played by the heirs of various crystal nobility, to ally with him as he annexed each county.  Carnelian had certainly tried to advise him on the courses of action to take, and yet he ignored all of it as he could not bring himself to scheme against his allies.  Every time, he ended up being manipulated by the other players, never growing in power, and eventually being conquered as his former allies exhausted his usefulness and annexed his territories.

Whether or not he had the skill, however, he saw no reason not to try.  If what Beck had said was true, then there would be no consequence for simply stepping into the ring.  At worst, Dax would simply turn him down in favor of the mare, and as time went on, the anxiety seemed to melt off of him.

"I shall take your advice, then," he responded with a smile.  "I will need time to think of a course of action, but I will let him know my feelings."  I don't know when, and I don't know where, but at some point, I will.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis  (for lack of better personage to direct to, but it is your mine, after all!)

Clod Hopper, still with his threadbare, densely hoofwoven back blanket adorning his sweating back, labored lightly about the topmost part of the mines for the better part of that morning. It hadn't been that hot or busy of a day. There weren't too many ponies about, at least none of note that stayed around for long enough to look as if they were a significant position in the mines. Hopper had taken it upon himself to place his head gingerly upon any minecarts laden or wheelless as they might have been and push them further to what direction it had seemed they were intended by whoever had let them be before.

There wasn't any pony of import as of yet to have given him any specific instructions as to what he had been doing, so a few lugging trips was all it had occurred to be needed, so far as Hopper could tell. He wasn't the sort to go finding any forestallion to pester, but as it had been slow and with minecarts having been run out of a few moments before, Clod stood at the front of the mine entrance, a bit off to a side, and stood their quietly, catching his breath and wondering if anypony would come by with any other tasks to do.

Far as Clod concerned, chores were what he was for. He had a debt to settle here with the family farm and well... if they didn't have anything left here for him, there was always logs to break or pull back at the family Stump Farm.   ...Nopony was sure how they kept getting stumps there without any trees growing, but they were far enough out in the country most didn't ask such pointless questions. Where Hopper's family came from, questions got in the way of being useful. And you had to be useful after all, or you didn't have a use. Simple as that.

• Brohoof 1

On 12/12/2019 at 10:09 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Likewise. Illiad told me much about you, I'm  quite pleased to meet you in person."

"'Ey, I remembah dat fella; fine guy, dat one - o' course, when somepone does what HE did fer da folks heah, den y'figger he's a good egg, so ta speak."  Chuck smiled, and it made him look much more friendly, "Nice ta meetcha, dere... awful polite, ain'cha?  But dat's good - shows ya gots class."

On 12/12/2019 at 10:09 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"That's quite the tool you have there, it reminds me of the sort of thing the deer make. Did they make it perchance?"

"Wha..?"  Chuck then glanced down at his clipboard and gave a chuckle.  "Nah, nah... dat's Silvah's woik; she's da one who builds a lotta da stuff 'round heah, an' she's a gee-knee-us, ya know?  Built mosta da equipment we use heah, as well as stuff she does fer fun.  She's a sweet kiddo, dat one - you ain't met 'er yet?"

Chuck looked over at Dax, "You showin' yer lil' marefriend around, dere?"  The snarky smile he wore said he was gonna enjoy this.

Dax's blush lit up like a red light.  "I-uh... wha-... um, I j-j-just... uhm..."

Chuck's grin redoubled as he gave Mystic a knowing grin.  "Yeah, uh huh, dat's what I figgered.  So, Miss Glow - whatcha thinkin' so far 'bout da quarry?"

On 12/13/2019 at 12:46 AM, cwhip9 said:

"Heya Echo... sorry for being late; a new ravine must have opened up from an explosion - had to see how far it went, otherwise wise I'd give boss a smaller report then usual."

"Oh, it's okay," she smiled sweetly, "I tried experimenting with those ingredients from yesterday, like you suggested... and I think I managed to make it work; the jelly isn't exactly perfect, but well..."

She set down her broom she'd been sweeping with, and took a small jar from the shelf she used for her own things.  She brought it over and unscrewed the lid, and the smell of mint almost instantly flooded the room.

"... i-it DID turn out to be pretty sweet.  Here, take a taste..."

The sweet thing had been trying out a number of recipes while she'd been here; most of them had turned out okay, but there were a few that hadn't sat well with Crescent.  One example that haunted him to this day was when she tried to make applesauce-basted beets; he'd ended up with a horribly upset stomach, and had very embarrassing gas for the next three days.  Since that time, there was cause to give anything she made him a second look.

All in all, she was merely trying to be helpful... and when she DID make something correctly, it tasted great.

"... please?"  She held the jar in front of him and wiggled it a bit as she smiled hopefully.

On 12/18/2019 at 4:27 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Can we see Dax now? Can we? Can we? Can we? Pleeease. I wanna show him the fireworks. And tell him that his dad let me stay. And show him how I broke a mountain!"

"Are you kidding?  I'd LOVE to see the look on his muzzle!  I'll bet he'll be so surprised you're working for the quarry now - and you actually made his father smile!  Won't he be surprised to hear THAT little nugget?  Ooooooooooh, we have to go look for him right now!"

Silver turned and began to dash towards the path leading away from the blasted mountaintop... again, the massive crater stood there as a testament to exactly the kind of POWER Blitz was capable of when someone believed in her, whether it was a sweet and intelligent handimare, or a dour but kind mine owner...

Or, as it had been in Blitz Boom's case, both.

On 12/18/2019 at 4:27 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"He's gonna be So surprised."

"C'mon!" Silver hollered over her shoulder, "I'll race ya back to the quarry!  First one there gets ice cream!

[Hazard Time's OCs are currently NPCs, so we'll just assume The Twins continue to fortune-tell for now, unless someone wants to interact with them as well (just have your character go to the cart - it's still there); Low Key and Carnelian are currently busy with their own plots/schemes, and will show up as part of the narrative as necessary.]

9 hours ago, Widdershins said:

Far as Clod concerned, chores were what he was for.

"Ooooooh, big fella..."

The mare was sort of slinking in his direction, a sweet and tempting smile on her muzzle as she sauntered over to him.

She was lovely; she had an aqua blue coat that was well-kept and neat, a soft pink mane and tail with eyes to match, and a fit and trim figure that she accented by moving with a swinging swagger to her gait.  The smile on her face was inviting, and the way she looked at him when he came close was the look of somepony who'd been searching for water and finally found a lake.

"... I'll bet you make ALL the mares blush, don'tcha?  You sure look like the type to do a fine, fine job, hmmmmmm?  Oh, YEAH you do..."

She admired his form and figure, her eyes not lingering too long on his blanketed back.  She redoubled her efforts, and gave Clod a dazzling smile.

"I was wondering if a big, strong stallion such as yourself would have the time to give a sweet and appreciative mare like myself a helping hoof?  I'd need a STRONG stallion to help me out here, and you look like you fit the bill, sugar... though I could probably look all day long at you... but still," she sighed, "duty calls, right?  So... would a sturdy buck like you be interested in giving this little mare a bit of help?  Hmmmmmmm..?"

She smiled up at him, fluttering her long lashes as she waited for his response.

@Randimaxis

Mystic looked surprised at the scope of Silver's apparent expertise, "Truly? Illiad did mention that Silver was something of an inventor, and mentioned genius a few times at that, I hadn't realized how little embellishment he had supplied. I mean, with how much love he has for her it seemed more likely than not that he was simply biased..." she shook herself back to focus, looking around the mine with a bit more respect and wonder.

12 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"You showin' yer lil' marefriend around, dere?" 

Her attention was brought back to the stallions with Chuck's attempt to fluster Dax, and she decided with a bit of mischief to join in by nuzzling him as she had before. "Oh, Dax is being a simply wonderful host. Already I've had the pleasure of meeting a number of good ponies here, and I look forward to seeing the rest. Now I'm even more excited to meet this mare that both you and Illiad have talked so highly about!"

@Blitz Boom

Being what she was, she would be able to feel the incoming excitement directed towards Dax long before the pair of seeking ponies would come into view, she would carefully whisper into Dax's ear: "Someone, or two someones, is very excited to find you, get ready." 

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

On 1/3/2020 at 3:23 PM, Randimaxis said:

"C'mon!" Silver hollered over her shoulder, "I'll race ya back to the quarry!  First one there gets ice cream!"

Silver hadn't needed to holler to get Blitz to run. The second she had seen the excited mare take off, Blitz had followed straight after, and hadn't been that far from the mare when she shouted out her challenge.

At which point, this no longer became about just following Silver with a giddy smile on her face, but a race. Hence, Silver had nopony else than herself to blame when Blitz then picked up speed and rush along like she had back when Luther had told her to go and make the best explosives she could, with the materials the quarry had to work with.

"Ice creeeeeeam!"

Or well, what Silver had in her place at least. Blitz had an eerie way or making things explode that realistically shouldn't be able to, so she might stumble across something at some later point in the quarry that they wouldn't think much off, but would result in her creating quite the crater. It would be wise in the long run if they double checked their locks, and made sure not to keep the trash easily accessible, but that were for the future to worry about.

In the present though, Blitz would be shooting off, picking up even more speed than she had back when Luther sent her off, as she now did not have the wings to weigh her down. If she would get overtaken by Silver were hard to say, as Blitz were after all, just a filly, which meant her legs were not as long. She did have a rather speedy, reckless way of rushing along like a large cat, but with the breaking ability of a sleepy rhino mid charge. So seeing who got first would be one part of the race. The other being when Blitz were able to stop, and if she hit something/somepony to do so.

@Illiad Easle

The changeling in disguise were right, it wouldn't be far after she had sensed them that two ponies came rushing towards Dax. One in particular, seemed overly enjoyed and really made some good haste towards him. Aaand didn't seem like she intended to slow down, which considering the almost crazy smile on the filly's face, could raise some flags. Unless Silver intervened, they'd better brace for impact.

"Dax Dax Dax Dax Dax Dax!"

At the last outburst, the filly would jump right into the earth pony with her forelegs spread out and ready to latch on like a xenomorph to Dax, whom should hopefully be sturdy enough to stand his ground, and not be taken down by the ramming rod of a filly who had just slung herself towards his chest like she were trying to go straight through him.

If Silver did stop her in time and levitate her instead though, Blitz would just wriggle around in the magic aura, reaching out towards Dax and repeat his name constantly until she could reach him, too excited to talk in proper sentences until then.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

On 1/3/2020 at 8:23 AM, Randimaxis said:

"... please?"  She held the jar in front of him and wiggled it a bit as she smiled hopefully.

The bat pony keeping the beats incident in mind eyed the jelly, how ever seeing echo wiggel and smelling the wafting mint in the cabin spiked his curisoity more. It wasnt often anything mint flavored, unless it was a holiday of sorts.

So this was a welcome surpise for the bat pony, and a reminder of why he was glad echo was livving with him. Coming to new food was the best part of the day pending on the near misses and dangerous terain he ran and maped out under ground. 

"mmmm mint, didnt realize it was a holiday" he said with a surpised smile.

"unless today is one and I've been under ground longer then thought"  It wouldnt be the first time he'd come from under ground after  few days at a time but it was still rare when it happend. 

The bat pony moved up to take a curious lick of the jelly getting some on his muzzle which he didnt realize happend, probably do to the wearyness of the day, or night? 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 10:17 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Oh, Dax is being a simply wonderful host. Already I've had the pleasure of meeting a number of good ponies here, and I look forward to seeing the rest. Now I'm even more excited to meet this mare that both you and Illiad have talked so highly about!"

The nuzzle she gave him made him give a strange, wobbly-mouthed smile that said he was both embarrassed and pleased for the display.  Poor Dax; so happy to have someone care about him the way she was, and yet so clueless as to how to handle such a thing.  Obviously, especially by what his emotions were giving off, he most certainly wanted such a relationship - he just had zero experience with anything like it.

Still, he didn't shoo her off or try to deny anything - just that endearing smile that said he was enjoying the attention.

On 1/3/2020 at 10:17 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Someone, or two someones, is very excited to find you, get ready.

"Hunh, what?"  he blurted, somewhat shocked out of what feelings he'd been lost in.  Then...

On 1/4/2020 at 12:59 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Dax Dax Dax Dax Dax Dax!"

He turned and only had enough time to say one thing... "Bli-"

Okay, part of one thing.

>WHAM!<  The little filly hit Dax like a miniature battering ram, and he tumbled end over end with her until they landed, the Blackwater on the ground, looking up at the rambunctious filly who was practically vibrating with excitement, gripping his barrel on top of him.  Chuck took one look, and began to laugh as if he'd just heard the best joke in all of Equestria.

"Blitz!"  Silver stepped up, finally catching up to the little dynamo, and was caught somewhere between panting and laughing.  "Well, we found Dax, at least!"  She looked at them both.  "Dax, Blitz here has been beside herself to find you!  Well, not so much as actually standing next to herself - because TWO of her might be too much for the world to handle - but more like she's really been looking forward to finding you!"

"I... can... tell..." he uttered as he caught the breath she'd knocked out of him.  Once he got it back, he looked at Blitz and smiled broadly.  "Hiya, Blitz!  Has Silver here been showing you around a good bit?  From the look on your muzzle, I kinda wonder if she's let you blow anything up!  You been having fun?"

Silver smiled, then leaned in towards both Chuck and Mystic.  "Here it comes," she warned playfully.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:26 PM, cwhip9 said:

"Mmmm, mint; didn't realize it was a holiday..."

Echo flushed prettily, and smiled.  "Oh, it w-wasn't that - I like mint, and since there was some available, I just thought that I'd t-try to make something minty..."

On 1/4/2020 at 4:26 PM, cwhip9 said:

"... unless today is one and I've been under ground longer than I thought."

"Umm... no, I d-don't think so.  But getting to just be here feels like a holiday to me..."  That's when a look crossed her features - one that was either sorrow or shame - but her smile returned rapidly.  "I'm really glad you like it!  I made another three jars, a-and you're welcome to take one with you when you go into the mines next time; a little something t-to snack on while you work!"

She'd been quite thoughtful of him while she'd been here; always doing little things like this for Crescent, as if she were playing the role of a homemaker... and enjoying it completely.

"So, um... a-a-anything new in the mines, lately?  Anymore fire opals or another vein of emerald?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Mystic giggled politely at Dax's plight with the excited filly, though quickly adopted a bit of a pained expression as if she had a headache, but it seemed to lesson as she stepped back from the filly.

19 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"Here it comes,"

Mystic offered a playful grimace, "If it's anything like I think it might be, we may want to step back. You must be Silver then? I must say that if anything Illiad downplayed your charm when he described you to me. I can see why he cares so much. He's lucky to have found you, and I consider myself lucky to have met you." She gave a polite bow in greeting. She turned her attention back to the filly, 

@Blitz Boom

"Illiad did not mention anyone like her though, she seems rather... noticeable to have escaped his notice. I assume she arrived recently? A relative of yours perchance?"

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle @Randimaxis

On 1/13/2020 at 9:59 AM, Randimaxis said:

"I... can... tell..." he uttered as he caught the breath she'd knocked out of him.  Once he got it back, he looked at Blitz and smiled broadly.  "Hiya, Blitz!  Has Silver here been showing you around a good bit?  From the look on your muzzle, I kinda wonder if she's let you blow anything up!  You been having fun?"

Blitz had been enjoying one hay of an epic hug moment before Dax started to ask questions, but now he had unleashed the beast, and in a flash, Blitz were standing on his belly, and looked down on him with a maniacal smile almost splitting her face in two. He'd probably only see her eyes though, considering she had her face and forehead pressed so much up against him, that their eyeballs almost touched. Not to worry though, the crazy were well represented in her gaze all the same.

"Nono, Dax-Dad let me blow up stuff! He came around after Silver fired off some fireworks to try and wake me up, right? And he were all *Grr, grumpy face* until he heard I made things go boom. Then he said that she should let me make some kabooms with the stuff Silver had, and I did! I did!! And then my wings started to go weird and we rode along on them, and then we went- Yes! Ehehehe."

She bounced a little in place, unaware of how it might be somewhat uncomfortable for Dax, considering she were still standing on his belly. Even without the wings, and factoring in she weren't the tallest filly this side of Appleoosa, she weren't exactly a feather either. She wouldn't want to hurt him, but she were just too excited right now to focus on it.

On the bright side, her face weren't pressed against his anymore as she looked at him again, joy almost rolling off her excited being like water pouring down a roaring waterfall. Poor Mystic. No wonder she would get a headache being around the filly when true to form, she seemed like she were almost exploding with happiness.

"I. Broke. A. Mountain!!!"

She'd lose balance and fall down at that point, as she started to step in place with her smile reaching towards the sky, which prevented her from keeping even a tiny amount of focus on staying stable on her carpet pony, but she didn't care one bit. This were one of the happiest memory she had, and talking about it were just too much for her to contain, even if she laid on the ground with her hooves up into the air.

"You should have seen it! Silver and Dax-Dad went up there too, and then Dax-Dad pushed a biiig rock over - He's Really strong! - and I exploded it. Then another. And then the big, earth shattering kaboom, that cracked the mountain! Ehehehehe, it were the bestest explosive I've ever made! And Dax-Dad were really impressed too. He asked me to make more explosives for him, and now I'm gonna be here all the time with Silver, and you, and all the other fun ponies!"

And speaking of which...

Much like how those with cat allergies tried to stay away from felines, but inadvertently ended up attracting them more, Blitz would bounce right up and over towards Mystic, where she'd begin to bounce around the mare. If she tried to move away, Blitz would follow, seemingly not taking notice of any potential discomfort she might cause until she were done talking.

"Hihi, pretty mare! Are you Dax's marefriend? Did I interrupt your kissy time?"

The annoying part of that might well be that she didn't stick around to get an answer, before bouncing over to Chuck, and nuzzle the stallion's foreleg, as she tended to do as a greeting when she weren't aiming for hugs or - as in the case of Dax - torpedo snuggles..

"Hehe, your coats's all tingly."

That were basically all the interaction she'd have with the forepony, though he'd more than likely have a lot of meetings with her in the future. The sort of meetings that at times might make him miss dealing with Oglevy's pranks, or make him advise Silver to keep three extra locks on her door, and have Blitz on a leash.

Having introduced herself properly to Dax's friends... Kinda, she'd go right back towards him, and keeping on bouncing around, rather than walking. As her big idol were Pinkie Pie, she tried to imitate the mare in a lot of ways with varied results. Dying herself pink? Didn't go too well, since her dye had some side effects that made her all itchy. Trying to style her mane and tail like Pinkie didn't do a whole lot either. Her tail just poofed out again, and she always lost interest in keeping up her appearance before she got to her mane.

Bouncing around though, she got that down at least, though she didn't do it all that often. Her wings usually weighed her down and made it hard to do for more than fifteen seconds or so. currently though, that weren't an issue, as they were still in Silver's workshop. If they hadn't sparked to life and bounced out into the quarry that were. That'd be kinda fun to see.

"Let's go Dax, I wanna show you the mountain. Come on, come on, come on! Pleeeease? You can also bring your marefirend and Mr. Tingly. I bet they'd find it funny to see too. Uh, uh! You can also bring her to see the fireworks I made for you later! Yeppers. Firework and kissy time for Dax means happy day for everypony, hehe."

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

An audible pause occurred.

Clod Hopper was the sort of country stallion where you could hear a clock ticking away between his sentences even if one wasn't around. Not that he was slow, just burned tallow at a slower pace than most city folk. Wasn't much call for not taking your time debating a situation in your head when you worked by yourself out on your own stake. A much slower burn that is, when it regarded mares.

Hopper's dad, who also went by the same first name, made a point of keeping him from mares... or a fair amount of any social interaction really. "Got up to No Good" the older stallion would grumpily reply in a tone that drove home the point that only straight torture would get this gnarled, old geezer to elaborate any more than he wished. To Hopper, Clod Younger, the only use he had to others was working, any other attentions just plum didn't make sense. After all, he thought himself bad goods what with those... things on his back. But no matter.

Somepony was here now, best be polite and answer their question. Clod Hopper drawled out in the low rumbling baritone of a country colt not oft used to speaking up.

"You payin'?"

Another audible pause ticked as the air built up that perhaps he might have misunderstood something again.

"Err... Sos it line up wit' the Blackwata's accounts or what has they. Reckon I ain't done met 'em, if that wossnames. ...But sure, if Y'all needs tha help.

...Reckon I don' know what a job's got ta do wit' havin' a blush tho."

The stallion stood looking down his broad neck at the mare, having only turned his head from the position he'd been standing in as if still in position to receive orders from a superior. Any intoned infatuation was rendered useless against Clod's Oblivious ability to be immune to such matters. One would have to ride a very delicate, but sharp path to drive home any inkling of romance to a stallion so homekept.

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis,

Gold Dust landed near the entrance to Backwater Quarry and whipped the strand of golden mane from his face with his blue, ringed hoof.

For him to start here was a little disheartening for his accounting career. The fact that Gold Dust even had an accounting career was disheartening enough, but he had a beach-side mortgage to pay and no allowance to pay it. That wasn't even considering his employer's reputation in the business world though. Stories around the Gold family dinner table about their ruthless employee ethic visited him as if to remind him how very earned their reputation was.

Well, he had to start somewhere and they did offer a pretty penny. He imagined any accountant with half a brain would avoid them at all costs, making a great opportunity for him. If he found enough wrong then he could convince them to keep him on board permanently for the low price of a new home near the quarry and a fifteen percent pay raise. That foothold would be a safety-net while he looked for work with more scrupulous employers and an easy path to early retirement. Gold Dust supposed he should have been more grateful for the education he was given to allow him to do this, but he couldn't help but feel like it was just an excuse to cut him off. He would run a complimentary audit just to be safe though. In the absence of any work experience, he may have to rely on charity to get himself hired.

However, the remainder of his grander ambition put a gleam in Gold Dust's eye. A gleam that would fizzle when he saw an even grander crack along the mountainside.
“This is going to be a long, long report, isn't it?” Gold Dust asked with all the nonexistent enthusiasm he could muster.

He flapped down to one of the first ponies he saw to ask for directions to the manor. The last thing he wanted was to make a fool of himself by stumbling into some employee-only cafeteria.
The pony in question though, a solid purple stallion, was already looking at me with the grin of a pony trying to hold a joke behind his teeth. So much for not looking foolish. There was a bright side to not seeing Mrs. Blackwater right away after all.

“Hello,” Gold greeted, matching the brown irises with his copper-orange ones as he closed the distance with a purposeful stride, “Do you know where I can find the manor? I have business with Mrs. Blackwater.”

• Brohoof 1

On 1/13/2020 at 11:29 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"If it's anything like I think it might be, we may want to step back. You must be Silver then? I must say that if anything Illiad downplayed your charm when he described you to me. I can see why he cares so much. He's lucky to have found you, and I consider myself lucky to have met you."

The very moment the word 'Illiad' was spoken, a blush rolled across her muzzle.  "I... h-he said... I mean, um... y-y-yes, it's a pleasure to meet you!  Hi there!  You know Illiad, and naturally he's said things... a-and you heard them!"

Chuck looked sideways at Silver with a smirk.  "Eeyup - DAT'S our lil' gee-knee-ous."  Silver playfully thumped him on the shoulder, and the forepony chuckled.

On 1/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Nono, Dax-Dad let me blow up stuff! He came around after Silver fired off some fireworks to try and wake me up, right? And he were all *Grr, grumpy face* until he heard I made things go boom. Then he said that she should let me make some kabooms with the stuff Silver had, and I did! I did!! And then my wings started to go weird and we rode along on them, and then we went- Yes! Ehehehe."

Dax grunted in discomfort a bit as she leapt around on top of his stomach, but his smile said he didn't really mind one bit; his friend was having a >blast<... and from the sound of it...

"I. Broke. A. Mountain!!!"

... quite literally.

Dax, still laying on the ground, turned to look at Blitz.  "Father let you blast out on Pitch Point?  And you BROKE it!  Sweet Luna's Crown, that's..."  He began to look up and to the side, calculating numbers until he just shook his head in disbelief.

"... I couldn't even tell you how much force that would take!"

"You should have seen it! Silver and Dax-Dad went up there too, and then Dax-Dad pushed a biiig rock over - He's Really strong! - and I exploded it. Then another. And then the big, earth shattering kaboom, that cracked the mountain! Ehehehehe, it were the bestest explosive I've ever made! And Dax-Dad were really impressed too. He asked me to make more explosives for him, and now I'm gonna be here all the time with Silver, and you, and all the other fun ponies!"

Now, Dax sat up with his eyes agog, and a growing smile on his muzzle.

"He said what?  But that's great!  If he really liked the way you did it, then his offer's no joke!  Oh, wow - Blitz, that's fantastic news!"  He gave the filly a quick hug in passing, because he knew holding on too long to something THAT wound up was impossible.

"Hihi, pretty mare! Are you Dax's marefriend? Did I interrupt your kissy time?"

Dax's muzzle now matched Silver's in color.  "B-Blitz!  She's, uh, well - I mean, I want her to, uh, i-i-it's like..."

Chuck leaned in toward Mystic, motioning to Dax and Silver with a hoof.  "Like twins, amirite?  Y'can almost see dat 'fambly reskemblence' 'n' ev'rythin'!"

"Hehe, your coats's all tingly."

"An' youse smell like black powdah," Chuck retorted as he gently shook the filly off his leg.  "If yer gonna be doin' blasty-type woik, den you'se gonna hafta report ta me tomorry, so's I can shows ya around da mine; bettah ya know what we're doin' in dere, so's y'can come upwit whatevah we need ta blast troo stuff."

"Let's go Dax, I wanna show you the mountain. Come on, come on, come on! Pleeeease? You can also bring your marefirend and Mr. Tingly. I bet they'd find it funny to see too. Uh, uh! You can also bring her to see the fireworks I made for you later! Yeppers. Firework and kissy time for Dax means happy day for everypony, hehe."

"Mistah Tingly?"  Chuck muttered questioningly, but shrugged as the offer to accompany was given.  "Eh, I'm still on shift, dere - but youse g'wan ahead; I'll be heah if ya need me, like usual."

Dax looked at Mystic.  "Well, I guess we should go see how Blitz broke a mountain, hunh?"

"Actually, she DID do a great job of it - the structural force was well-centered, and the results were highly satisfying!"  Silver beamed like a proud parent.  "You've GOT to see it!  Well, not so much as it's any sort of requirement, but more like it's one mean feat of demolitions!"

The pretty mare's smile seemed to grow in intensity as the seconds ticked by.  Then, just as her eye started to twitch...

On 1/16/2020 at 5:28 AM, Widdershins said:

"You payin'?"

She blinked at Clod.  "Am... a-am I paying you?"

She took on a rather resolved frown, which turned her muzzle from one of sweet seduction to one of irritation.  "No, you're being paid to WORK here, stupid - which means that when someone from the comapny comes along to ask for a favor, what they're really saying is 'quit holding up the wall and give me a hoof'!"

She stepped up to face him (though she was far more compact), and looked him in the eye.

"I have to get a few things out of one of the sheds, and I lost the keys; I need YOU to open the shed for me, or else we're BOTH going to be in some big, big trouble!  Now, do I have to put it any other way to you, or are you going to just stand there like a bump on a log?  'You payin'', indeed!  Now MOVE your flank over to Shed #7 - I have a schedule to keep!"

She no longer looked interested in Clod Hopper; she looked ready to box his ears.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:52 AM, Loud Opinion said:

“Hello, do you know where I can find the manor?  I have business with Mrs. Blackwater.”

Knee Slapper gave a grin and a wave as the newcomer approached.

"Hey-o!  How are ya, there?  Bet you had yourself a long flight, am I right?"

When he heard the newcomer's destination, however... his grin got just a wee bit bigger.  "Hey, sure!  I know right where she is, got no problems there... why don'tcha follow me, and we'll get you to where you can conduct your business."

He began to lead Gold toward the manor house at the top of the rise, a flicker of a spark behind his eyes as they walked.  "Say, it's grand to meet you, buddy!  The name's Redd Handid, and I'll be more than happy to take you where you need to be..."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

18 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"I... h-he said... I mean, um... y-y-yes, it's a pleasure to meet you!  Hi there!  You know Illiad, and naturally he's said things... a-and you heard them!"

Mystic giggled lightly at Silver's response, momentarily distracted from the growing ache in her head, "He was quite accurate indeed, I'm glad to see the feeling is so mutual."

18 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

Dax looked at Mystic.  "Well, I guess we should go see how Blitz broke a mountain, hunh?"

"Actually, she DID do a great job of it - the structural force was well-centered, and the results were highly satisfying!"  Silver beamed like a proud parent.  "You've GOT to see it!  Well, not so much as it's any sort of requirement, but more like it's one mean feat of demolitions!"

The longer Mystic stood near the explosive filly the more pained her expression grew, she was in the process of rubbing between her eyes when attention had been turned back to her. "Oh!" she dropped her hoof down, it wasn't very proper after all. She seemed to be debating something in her head before sighing, "I... I'll meet you up there. I just remembered there's something I need to take care of back in my room. I shan't take long, but speaking of which..." she turned to Silver, "The water in the rooms, fed from a natural spring right? Illiad mentioned it but he wasn't clear whether it was a standard thing."

(Regardless of her answer)

Mystic would turn to make her way back up to the manor, looking back once she took a few steps, "Don't worry, I'll be quick. I think I'll be able to find my way up there if you're there." And with that she would head off towards the manor.

To @Panda Access:   

When you were a farmhand you got told a lot of things in an awful lot of ways, most of that he had caught from Clod Senior, a stallion of rigid opinions. What he wasn't used to was a mare up close and that shook him a fair bit. Clod couldn't even remember having been near a mare in his life, counting his mother. Hopper half-heartidly raised a hoof partly to gesture his point and failing to do so in a tremble.

"You'll... have ta pardon me, Ma'am. Ah couldn' tell if you wus a Blackwater.   ...on account of you ain't black. Reckon that be why they called thet.

You'll, uh, have ta show me the way, I sup'ose. Only know me the mine here, Miss."

Clod Hopper, in some faint notion of hope that it would help clear matters moreso and never a stallion to much mind his words helpfully tacked on: "...Reckon you ain' wet neither."

Edited by Widdershins
  • Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis @Illiad Easle

On 1/24/2020 at 6:21 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"I... I'll meet you up there. I just remembered there's something I need to take care of back in my room. I shan't take long, but speaking of which..." she turned to Silver, "The water in the rooms, fed from a natural spring right? Illiad mentioned it but he wasn't clear whether it was a standard thing."

Aaawh, seemed like Dax's marefriend wasn't gonna be coming with them after all. Or well, she said that she'd meet them up there, so she'd just be late in it, though Blitz were wondering what she had to go and do in her room. Perhaps get some aspirin? She sorta looked like her head hurt before, so that might be it. poor mare that she had to go through that! She would've gone over to give her a hug and best wishes, but Blitz didn't want to make it feel worse. Plus, the mare were already on her way, and it didn't seem like the right thing to do to delay her from that sorta thing. Doubly so considering that her and Dax were a thing, which were something that she were totally convinced were true. Just look at how red his face got before! Hehe.

So instead she would stay behind with the others, and wave so intensely that there were a minimalisktic chance that she might somehow imitate a hummingbird enough to lift off the ground.

"Goodbye, Dax's marefriend! Hope your head will feel better soon."

Loudly proclaiming this might catch a few ears, but she had to talk loudly, or the mare wouldn't hear her- That were just common sense.

With that outta the way, she'd bounce over to Dax and Silver, ready to get on her way and show her friend the damage caused. Something which he sounded really impressed at before, so when he saw it, he were gonna... Drop his jaw or something. Blitz had seen that happen before when somepony got really baffled. Usually because of Pinkie in some sort of way.

Uh, uh! She had to go and tell Pinkie that she'd be in this area for a while too, when she could eventually go back to her workshop and pick up some things. The mare might get kinda worried about her again otherwise, like she had been when she first found out the filly lived alone in the forest. She couldn't have her idol get all worried, and especially not when things were just about to get better for her. What with her having ponies who actively wanted her to make things go boom for them. A dream come true, right? Pinkie would surely be happy.

"Let's go while your marefriend gets her things done, Dax. And then later, we're gonna watch fireworks, okay? I bet your dad and your marefriend gonna like it too. And your mom. Oh, can I ask her if she wanna watch it with us? I bet she's not as bad as what everypony said on my way here either, since Dax-Dad were all nice."

She bounced around them a few times, before she suddenly remembered that there actually had been another who talked to her before. *gasp* And she had totally ignored him! Nuhuh, that wasn't okay. Better address him too and make sure he knew that she had heard him.

So stopping up, she turned around to face Basher, and with an impish grin spread all over her face, she'd gleefully proclaim: "I'll see you tomorrow, Mr. Tingly! I bet it's gonna be real fun seeing where to blow up things with you, hehe."

Perhaps she should try and bring an apple, or a small toy for him tomorrow, like some of the foals had done in school to their teachers? Surely that'd make him like her, and it couldn't go worse than it had at school.

Really, how were she to know that Cherilee didn't like getting a hand grenade with a smiley face on it? It was an honest mistake.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis,

This Redd Handid had a demeanor that bordered on unsettling. With a grin threatening at splitting his sides, Redd looked about ready to open up and eat Gold Dust. When those jovial jaws never snapped over his head, Gold Dust tor his eyes from them to meet Redds. "I, uh, sorry. I was just a tad distracted. Thank you for the directions," was Gold's uneasy response.

Gold Dust tried to distance himself from Redd by going around him toward his directions. Something was wrong today, Gold thought to himself. He shouldn't get shaken up this easily. Something about Redd was wrong. Scratch that, everything was wrong. The way he delivered his words dripped with malice. Even the pronunciation of his name seemed to carry an odd inflection, that's not even mentioning the fact that his very name implies implication. Yet, Gold dust knows enjoyment when he sees it, and Redd seemed to delight in every syllable.

None of it should have mattered to Gold Dust. A stallion was entitled to enjoy whatever he enjoys after all. However, something about this instance seemed almost predatory.

Then there was the last thing Redd said. 'I'll be more than happy to take you where you need to be'? They were already on the way, so why was that in the past tense? Was he coming on to him? Now that Gold thought about it, it was probably sarcasm. He might be talking with a stressed-out miner.

"I know this must have been inconvenient, but I really appreciate the help," Gold tried to reassure.

• Brohoof 1