Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" - Rating: 84/100 (Retry)

PonyFunk

Alright, I'm going to try this again...

I hear a lot of film critics say that they put Snow White among the greatest films ever made. I don't know if I would go that far, but it certainly is one of the most important films ever. This is the film that would influence many filmmakers and animators for decades to come, and set the standard for what an animated film should look like. Though Snow White may have its flaws, it certainly is a film that everyone and his brother should see at least once.

So, what do I like about Snow White? The animation is one of the best parts about it. It is outstanding given the time period it was made. It has the beautiful, bright colors that any fairy tale should have, but it also exceeds in the darker colors during the more intense and somber scenes. Certain color palettes can invoke some of the strongest emotions in us, and films with fantasy settings tend to use numerous palettes to invoke both strong positive and negative emotions. Snow White takes advantage of all of them. Also, the way each scene is drawn makes you feel like you're reading the fairy tale book. What else do I like? Well, the comedy is great! The dwarves make this film so enjoyable for me. I'm a big lover of slapstick comedy, especially in cartoons. It's always great when comedic scenes like the "Silly Song" scene can make you laugh as a kid and as an adult. Also, the dwarves have great character. Each one represents the emotion they are named after, and they display those emotions very well. My two favorites are Dopey and Grumpy. Dopey has me laughing hard every time I watch him. His facial expressions are brilliantly animated! Grumpy has the strongest character, the most dynamic, and is the one I can relate with most. I'm sure he is the one most people can relate with most. We all love it when we get to see his soft, vulnerable side. The Evil Queen, besides the dwarves as a whole, is also my favorite character. She shows her reserved and menacing side, while also her more goofy and scenery-chewing side, and both sides contrast each other so well.

As for Snow White herself, I think she could have been a much stronger character. If I'm going to get invested in a female protagonist like Snow White, I want her to be a bit more interesting than she's portrayed. I know that she's the kind, helpful, head-in-the-clouds type, but that's all I see. I believe that every character who is the "kind" type, must have at least one scene where they get really angry to show some dynamics to their character. We see her being firm, but still she doesn't sound that firm. Even Fluttershy is more firm than Snow White is! Still, I give her a pass. As for the Prince, it's laughable how little there is to him! We hardly even see him, let alone hear him say anything. I guess...he was drawn to be charming, not have character.

Overall, Snow White is a wonderful film that I've seen many times, and I'm sure I'll many times more.

• Brohoof 1