Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Fantasia: A Wonder Or a Bore?

PonyFunk

Besides Beauty and the Beast, Fantasia is one of my favorite films of all time. It's such a wonderful experience for me. Other people who watch it, either love it or just want to find a different film to watch after ten minutes. What do you think?

Oooh, I was just talking about Fantasia with my mom today.

I LOVE Fantasia. I was born in 1990 and the VHS of the film was released in 1991.

Been watching it since (yes, I watched movies as an infant, my mom has video of me in my baby rocker watching Little Mermaid).

But yeah Fantasia, I couldn't get enough of it. Bored my mom to death though. But I only learned that today. My mom never attempted to ruin my fun as a child. Her philosophy was, "It doesn't matter if YOU'RE sick of it. Is the kid having fun?"

So noisy toys, the same storybooks every night, and Fantasia every day for a LONG time. XD

Some of it would occasionally bore me. After a while I would start fast forwarding past the beginning and Sorcerer's Apprentice.

I wanted the dinosaurs, the dancing flowers, the fairies, and I ESPECIALLY wanted the Pastoral Symphony and Night on Bald Mountain. I still contend that Pastoral Symphony is one of the most beautiful things ever animated. There's pegasi, and unicorns, and fauns, and super pretty centaur girls, and beautiful flower covered hills. It was like everything five year old ShadO could have possibly wanted. I remember having DREAMS about the pegasi parents in Pastoral Symphony (heh, guess I was always a pegasister).

And then Night on Bald Mountain was just so hardcore. 'Nuff said.

Fantasia left a lasting impact on me. There's beautiful animation and music and the way it can tell a story without words. I'm certain it was my first introduction to legends and mythological creatures. Evil being warded away by the light in Night on Bald Mountain. It's just a really emotional experience put on screen. <3

• Brohoof 1

It's been about a decade since I last saw it, and I remember not being particularly enthralled by it. I've never been big on artsy movies, but I'd have to see it again to judge it properly.

Edited by TopQuark

I love Fantasia. Behind The Lion King, it's probably my favorite Disney movie of all time.

The movie looks wonderful, the animation blends in extremly well with the classic pieces of the componists like Bach and Tchaikovsky and it's just a great time.

I think my favorite pieces are probably the Dawn of Spring and Night on Bald Mountain, which is still one of the scariest shorts i have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fizh0M8TczA&pxtry=1

Can I just give some serious applause and a big hug to my BSBFF @ShadOBabe for her post here? My experience and love for Fantasia is almost a mirror of hers. ^^

In the end Fantasia was always a special treat for me. From the orchstral version of Toccata & Fugue to Rite of Spring (my personal fav) to Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria and all in between I loved every minute of this; esepcially in my younger days when I wasn't even 10 years old yet. I have so many fond memories of watching the old VHS...lovely. ^^

And it is thanks to Fantasia that I love classical and orchestral music in general. <3

• Brohoof 2

• 5 years later...