Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What episodes destroy the stereotype of MLP?

Akemi Homura

So, you know all the hype revolving around MLP: FIM, whether it be good or bad. Although lots of it is positive, some of it is also negative and all because of one attribute: the previous generations give it a reputation, as the past incarnations of MLP were truly and utterly terrible in the sense that it did not appeal to very many people, all because of the bad plots and pathetic character representations. As a result, people are inclined to believe the FIM is no better (which, as you all know, is contrary to the max) and such generalizations arise. One of these would include "the show is too girly" or in some cases, "the plot is bland".

Let me give you my opinion on what episode takes these generalizations/conclusions and rips them apart. "Putting Your Hoof Down" was an episode in which the atmosphere was slightly darker than the rest of the episodes by making all the characters act like jerks, if you will. As the show is very much driven by the characters, this attributes to the fact that the setting itself and the various interactions among said characters were "tense", so to speak. For example, as you know, Fluttershy in that episode attempted to take lessons to improve her assertiveness, but ended up hurting two of her friends in the process. However, it wasn't the things she said to her friends that made this tense, it was how she conveyed the message. As she attacked Rarity's and Pinkie's talents and dreams, her voice was a clear indicator that she had harbored a rather deep resentment towards them and how they treated her prior to the episode, in which the majority of the episode stated, a doormat. However, this "message" isn't just exclusive to Rarity and Pinkie; it was a strong indication that she had also harbored resentment towards the rest of the town. It goes without saying that anything similar to Iron Will's teachings can have a drastic effect on your personality, as it did with Flujttershy of all ponies (whom is a kind-hearted soul). Instead of merely trying to be assertive at all times, she slowly felt the need to dominate everyone in the town, or she would blow her top. As you probably know, all the information I've provided occurs much too often in the real world... which itself would tear apart the established "girly" nature of the show that so many people would seem to ignorantly declare.

Of course, this isn't exclusive to just this episode. Which episodes in your opinion destroy this stereotype of FIM?

Edited by Devin Dash McCourty
  • Brohoof 7

Party of One, Party of One, dear Celestia almighty, Party of One

Sure Pinkie's reason for being peeved at her friends might be considered "girly" but the twisted road she heads down is definitely not the fluff and sunshine people would expect from this show.

• Brohoof 8

In the episode, "Putting Your Hoof Down", I honestly don't see how it was 100% "obvious" that Fluttershy harboured feelings of resentment towards her friends. Her tone of voice wasn't so much, "I've been secretly hating you" as it was, "I have suddenly been given the idea that the way you have treated me is rude and I need to be even meaner in order to make up for it" or something...

I think THAT episode is something that people shouldn't look too deeply at. The episode was simply trying to teach children that there is a right and wrong way to behave in difficult situations.

• Brohoof 2

"Party of One" - It is perhaps the most apparent shattering of the conventions surrounding MLP: FiM. The darker, more adult oriented tone is almost more indicative of edgier cartoons, e.g., Rocko's Modern Life, Ren&Stimpy, than a show about pastel colored ponies cultivating friendship.

"Lesson Zero" - Similar to "Party of One" in the tone department. When you reflect upon the events of the episode, you really how unhinged Twilight became and how borderline apocalyptic her powers really are.

"Ponyville Confidential" - So smartly written that it hurts. The references were well-placed, and only young adults would readily catch most of them.

"It's About Time" - Borderline crazed Twilight again, albeit without her nearly destroying Ponyville. The Metal Gear Solid and Terminator references could only be appreciated by an older audience.

• Brohoof 10

Putting Your Hoof Down was the first episode I thought of when I saw the thread title. I guess my own example then would be A Dog and Pony Show, because of the monstrous designs of the Diamond Dogs and their enslavement of Rarity, plus her hilarious whining- I mean, who would expect any of this out of MLP initially? :blink:

• Brohoof 1

I think Rarity's character in general is a stereotype-breaker. Sure, she's stereotypical in the "fashion-minded diva" role, but she shatters her own stereotype in a major way by exhibiting a rare violent or aggressive side, that's usually even more bold than Rainbow Dash's general attitude.
  • Brohoof 3

All of them?

Honestly, every single episode of this show has much better writing, storytelling, and characterization than any previous My Little Pony show that premiered. We can point to specific episodes that stand above the crowd in that regard, such as Party of One and Lesson Zero, but in truth all the episodes completely destroy the cliche stereotypes of the old MLP shows. Of course, some episodes are better than others, but even a terrible episode like Mysterious Mare Do Well still subverts the cliches because it parodies Batman. When was the last time you saw that on My Little Pony Tales or the G1 show?

The way in which this show can scatter references and make classy jokes that adults can see more into than the kids do without going over the top--I still can't get over the latex fetish joke from It's About Time, just as an example--as well as combine that with quality storytelling and character craftsmanship means that you don't need specific examples that destroy the stereotypes. All the episodes do. They just do it in different ways.

• Brohoof 6

All of them?

Honestly, every single episode of this show has much better writing, storytelling, and characterization than any previous My Little Pony show that premiered. We can point to specific episodes that stand above the crowd in that regard, such as Party of One and Lesson Zero, but in truth all the episodes completely destroy the cliche stereotypes of the old MLP shows. Of course, some episodes are better than others, but even a terrible episode like Mysterious Mare Do Well still subverts the cliches because it parodies Batman. When was the last time you saw that on My Little Pony Tales or the G1 show?

The way in which this show can scatter references and make classy jokes that adults can see more into than the kids do without going over the top--I still can't get over the latex fetish joke from It's About Time, just as an example--as well as combine that with quality storytelling and character craftsmanship means that you don't need specific examples that destroy the stereotypes. All the episodes do. They just do it in different ways.

I was actually asking which episode is the best at doing so, but good point.

The first 2 episodes of both seasons, Party of One and Sonic Rainboom. There are probably more, but these are the ones I can think of at the moment

Lesson Zero is the first that comes to mind because, to me, it was the first episode that was truly targeted to Bronies in a way that would also be entertaining for little girls. It's like Bronies became the prime demographic for just that one episode.

Although I will have to say that the first two episodes of season 2 were also above previous generations in many ways. I mean sure, the early days of G1 got kind of dark at times, but I don't think a character like Discord was even close to existing.

• Brohoof 1

I remember the first clip of FIM I watched was of Pinkie's freak out from Party of One and thinking that this isn't the kind of tea parties of was expecting out of this show. Lesson Zero get's disturbing at points and the Return of Harmony is pretty dark as well.

I know this is about the episodes them self, but I also think that the art style changed the stereotype of MLP.

But yeah, I think its pretty much all the episodes.

• Brohoof 1

Party of one did it for me, seeing Pinkie's meltdown like that is NOTHING G1 would have done. She isn't just an upset pony that thinks her friends have abandoned her, but you see this sort of fragile psyche Pinkie can have. Especially since she reacted in such a drastic and dark way. It went towards a dark way showing the tea party, not just Pinkie's dialogue and tone, but the complete change in her appearance, she wasn't the Pinkie Pie we all know and love in that moment.

Overall the show in general is nothing like G1, the story telling is fun and creative, and appeals to an adult audience as well. Watching the first two episodes of season one did it for me, I remember being blown away by Nightmare Moon, the character in general was nothing that appeared in the G1 I grew up on or remember.

• Brohoof 3

The Return of Harmony, both parts.

Lesson Zero.

Party of One.

Sonic Rainboom.

Those are just the stereotype shattering ones. There's plenty of other episodes that are bound to simply break through the stereotypical barrier. And I'm pretty sure there a few shattering ones I'm forgetting.

• Brohoof 2

I was actually asking which episode is the best at doing so, but good point.

That depends greatly upon which stereotype you refer to. When it comes to depth of characters, you can't beat highly psychological episodes such as Party of One, Lesson Zero, and Hurricane Fluttershy. For action and adventure, Dragonshy and Return of Harmony both come instantly to mind. For adult humor, you're probably looking at things like Ponyville Confidential and MMMystery on the Friendship Express. Others have explained this better than I already, so I shall not bore you with more walls of text. But suffice to say, you can find a good example from just about any episode.
  • Brohoof 4

Ok here's my little rant, which ended up going all over the place, but bear with me cuz I have a few points. :blink:

... Although lots of it is positive, some of it is also negative and all because of one attribute: the previous generations give it a reputation, as the past incarnations of MLP were truly and utterly terrible in the sense that it did not appeal to very many people, all because of the bad plots and pathetic character representations.

This. ^

I know this is about the episodes them self, but I also think that the art style changed the stereotype of MLP.

But yeah, I think its pretty much all the episodes.

& I agree with Flare911

I grew up with the G1 Ponies & I swear I loved them.

After watching all of Season 1 & 2 of MLP:FiM, I was like "I'll go watch all the old ones too! It will be an awesome marathon of Ponyness!".

I barely made it through the first "movie" which is like 30 mins long, tops. I ended up stopping at episode 16 out of 48 from the original series.

First of all, the ponies are extremely pathetic... Every time something happens to them, they have to go over the rainbow to get Megan and her siblings to come back and fight their battles for them.

Can you even imagine G1 Applejack trying to harvest all of Sweet Apple Acres by herself? HELL NO. She was a wimpy little ... pony. (Well you know what I was going to say!)

The songs and voice acting were also terrible in G1, just compare these two for a second:

Pinkie Pie's "Giggle at the Ghosties" song - link (in case the player thingy doesn't work)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-tiynTPuUUM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vs. The Ghost's song from The Ghost of Paradise Estate (starts at about 00:55) - link (in case the player thingy doesn't work)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sC7zm9GCcy4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the episode, "Putting Your Hoof Down", I honestly don't see how it was 100% "obvious" that Fluttershy harboured feelings of resentment towards her friends. Her tone of voice wasn't so much, "I've been secretly hating you" as it was, "I have suddenly been given the idea that the way you have treated me is rude and I need to be even meaner in order to make up for it" or something...

I think THAT episode is something that people shouldn't look too deeply at. The episode was simply trying to teach children that there is a right and wrong way to behave in difficult situations.

Also agree w/ SkySong, but I also think some of you ponies aren't exactly getting the "Putting Your Hoof Down" episode.

It was all about learning how to be Assertive (non-doormat) instead of Aggressive/Mean (Fluttershy on Steroids).

It also wasn't really about what she said or did when she became aggressive, it's that she ended up taking it to the extreme other way. However, I didn't get the impression that Fluttershy was resenting her fellow ponies or even the whole town's previous treatment of her - I mean, after all, it's Pinkie & Rarity that are telling her to stand up for herself in the first place.

I honestly don't feel like any of the FiM episodes are very dark or disturbing - I'm on my 2nd trip through - so I may see something different when I get to those episodes again.

I do think that ALL of the episodes are greatly shattering the stereotypical image of the old MLP shows - (like half of them were about ponies getting kidnapped to begin with) I feel that FiM relates to all humans better than the old shows. Can you honestly say that there was one episode that didn't make you think a little bit about your own life or how you deal with other people or friends? I know I can't.

I honestly don't feel like any of the FiM episodes are very dark or disturbing - I'm on my 2nd trip through - so I may see something different when I get to those episodes again.

It doesn't exactly feel dark per se, but if you open yourself up to an idea, at the very least you will sense what I sense.

Add the second season finale to the list!

Agreed, If anybody has any Stereotypes about MLP, the season 2 Finally just blew all of them away. Heck, it doesn't jut blow out stereotypes but expectations as well. IT was just that amazing.