Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What episodes destroy the stereotype of MLP?

Akemi Homura

Well, in today's society, the term "girly" doesn't mean it cannot have some drama in it. Which is what a lot of those episodes are for: causing controversy and drama in order to learn a lesson. What the show is trying to do is to teach these lessons of friendship by FIRST showing what you SHOULDN'T do, then at the end, learning what the correct technique is.

On the example you gave, Fluttershy doesn't really have something negative to say on the spot about everypony, it is just because she knew what they DID like, so she could manipulate that positive thought into a harmful one.

The problem with stereotypes is that they are difficult to tell if they broke. I mean, the exact opposites would prove so, but when on a larger plot(no pun intended), things tend to get complicated. It depends on one's own limit to see if any stereotype is broken. I still think that the target audience has not really shifted in the eyes of many, but there are others, like ourselves, who believe otherwise.

• 2 years later...

Almost every single one in G1 and most of the ones in G2. G3 was the only one who counted as stereotypically cute, but is mostly G4 that is clichéd and generic, yet not in the way people think.

MLP was never about cutsie and flowers, or unicorns flying over rainbows, etc. It was dark and mature, but people overlooked it and created this sterotype, which we all though it was a fun joke. Then came G4 and bronies started taking the previous gens as "sterotypical", when they're not.

"A Dog and Pony Show" was for me the best stereotype breaker. Episodes like Party of One and Lesson Zero were definitely darker, and broke the "girly" stereotype in that way, but A Dog and Pony Show was the episode that best displayed how femininity is dealt with in the show. My Little Pony is girly in that it is very feminine and female-centered, and Rarity is a girly character, but none of that means that the show is bad, that the writing is poor, or that the characters are weak. It challenges the very concept of "girliness".

Not to mention that this episode does double-duty as a stereotype breaker, absolutely slaying the idea that FiM draws in an audience of misogynistic "nice guys" by blatantly mocking this trope. Seriously, it's just the best.

• Brohoof 1

There're a lot of episodes: Pinkie Pride, Lesson Zero, Party of One...

And in the season 4 there're maybe more episodes destroying this stereotype than episodes that don't.

The first one would be Sonic Rainboom.

Edited by Blobulle

The first one would be Sonic Rainboom.

Regardless of how I feel about that episode, I don't see it as breaking any stereotypes...A lot of children's cartoons have action scenes in them, and the rest of the episode is just exposition...

Rarity's character as a whole. Unlike most fashion obsessed divas, she constantly thinks about others first, manages to judge people by inner beauty as a person when it comes to her friends(even though she WILL help with outer beauty when needed) and has enough fighting ability to kick manticores in the face, beat up changelings with her bare hooves, and doesn't need someone to rescue her when she's in danger, being able to completely take care of herself, and even supports herself by running her own business. 

In a world where most of the time the more feminine females are depicted as always needing help, Rarity is an excellent role model by proving that just because you're girly doesn't make you weak :D

• Brohoof 2

Regardless of how I feel about that episode, I don't see it as breaking any stereotypes...A lot of children's cartoons have action scenes in them, and the rest of the episode is just exposition...

MLP was originally created for girls. I think the sonic rainboom scene breaks the stereotype of cute ponies.

I agree with you on Rarity though. :D

I understand your point on "Putting Your Hoof Down" and how it destroys the stereotype of MLP.

But if I'm honest, I don't think that using that episode helps you in your argument, as the episode was just badly written.

In fact, it's one of my least favourite episodes because of it's writing.

Also, you mention this :

However, it wasn't the things she said to her friends that made this tense, it was how she conveyed the message.

While I agree that the way of speaking can make something tense, what she said was IMO, far worse. She made fun of their lifestyle and dreams, while in this raging state, but consider this :

- She either said it because she was angry

or

- She always felt like this, but never had the guts to tell her friends (being shy and all)

But which one would be less mean?

I believe that something like MLP got it's cover because of it's intended audience. It is intended for little girls first. It is and always has been. I won't try to explain how, but usually girlish = bad, typical girl stuff, cute and silly, not much thought put into.

I personally think all the well written episodes seperate them from the stereotype of MLP. Even episodes when Rarity has a fashion show managed to be fun and not tear-your-eyes out-emberassing and also destroys the stereotype of MLP.

Does that mean the previous generations were bad? Not really. Gen1 was actually okay. Gen 2 and 3, not so much though.

Edited by BronyPonyProductions