Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone care about the global news?

Somberhoof

Okay, once again I deliver you my poor thoughts.

I want people who read this to answer - do any of you care about what is happening in the world? I've tried to speak to some people about that, but the most common answers I got were "I don't want to talk about it" and "I try not to care". I completely understand those people and respect their opinions, but it hurts to hear people say that.

Well, I'd better stop right here, 'cause with my English speaking skills soon I'd start to make no sense.

If you seriously want to discuss anything global, please PM me. Discussions like this tend to get a bit too far.

Edited by The Wife of Law
  • Brohoof 3

I care about global news but if it's politics related I will possibly not care about it but if some president did a wrong thing then I would care about the situation

Edited by MLG4Ever

>_> I feel if it doesn't affect me directly, then I really could care less. However that being said, :sunny: two issues that I care about are: :unamused: black persecution/ "angry cop syndrome" and :comeatus: Trump's presidential run.

:dash: With varying opinions through news source bias ( :umad: I'm looking at you Fox news), :ooh: it's hard to discern the actual truth.

• Brohoof 4

I do a little. What bugs is all I ever hear when i do is "muslims this, muslims that, isis killed more people". Its always bad shit. For once I like to watch the news and hear "Cure for cancer found, hunger ended, no threats for ww3, scientists have figured out how to get to the next star system. etc"

Edited by Kurai
  • Brohoof 2

I do to some extent. A recent thing I can think of is the problem refuges from Syria are having. One of my parents was upset with how little they talked about Syria, because most of the news that night was about Donald Trump along with Hillary Clinton's e-mail. My other parent decided to donate to PBS, because they decided to talk about Ukraine(I think), while the rest of the channels were talking about celebrity news(either about Justin Bieber or the Kardashians).

• Brohoof 2

People really only care about the "news" of some celebrity having a new baby.

You think people wanna talk about how places won't have water soon or our species will die?

'Naw, people wanna hear about the new royal baby.

I'm in the M.U.N so I talk about the news and stuff a lot, but really unless it's you're thing, people probably won't care about global news.

• Brohoof 4

I've tried to speak to some people about that, but the most common answers I got were "I don't want to talk about it" and "I try not to care". I completely understand those people and respect their opinions, but it hurts to hear people say that.

Going from what you described, it sounds like what people prefer to do because they find everything overwhelming and quite possibly see themselves as powerless. The logic then becomes that because people feel disempowered, it wouldn't matter whether or not they are up to speed on current events.  If you cannot change that which stresses you then why worry about it in the first place? It's the most comfortable thing to do in that situation.

That is my attempt at shedding light on things.

• Brohoof 1

I care about global news. I personally feel that what takes place in another country is as relevant as what takes place in my own -- because we are all connected. What happens in one country may not affect me directly, but it will affect me indirectly. Not only this, but to me, news is about people and I care about people -- and how events effect them. For example, I was saddened by what happened to the Grecian people and all that they lost as a result of the market crash, and at the same time, I also realized that it would have a domino effect on other countries. So I try to take an analytical and sympathetic approach when dealing with global news -- or any news. It's easy to speak logically and emotionlessly about what someone else is personally going through thousands of miles away; it takes compassion to see the humanity behind the news which is often presented to us in a very cold and statistical manner. This is my take on it.

Edited by Jaxsie
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah I watch the news on a daily basis. But you cannot depend on media alone if you want to see the world as it is.

Everyone should follow the news, they are talking about real lives and events.

I'd not reccomend listening too much to american or russian sources, those are propaganda machines and doomsayers.

Edited by A Cat
  • Brohoof 2

I'd not reccomend listening too much to american or russian sources, those are propaganda machines and doomsayers.

Well, not all of it is, but yeah. Mostly. 

Edited by Aegeus Thanos

I used to be really invested in the global news; hell, at one point I was studying to be a journalist. I still care a bit, but nowhere near as much as I used to. It's good to know what's happening around the world and I think it's fairly shortsighted to only care about the goings-on's in your own country. At the same time though, don't obsess over it too much or you'll start to be a very cynical person. Most of the world news is just depressing, between people starving, people being oppressed or the middle east slowly consuming itself.

Also be careful about the media you consume and avoid making televised news your primary source of news. Especially Fox and MSNBC. Some networks are more trustworthy, but many of them are more about infotainment than the news itself and many also have a corporate political agenda behind how they spin a story or whether they decide to even show a story. That's not saying the paper or online news doesn't do this too, but they're not so blatantly obvious about it.

• Brohoof 5

Also be careful about the media you consume and avoid making televised news your primary source of news.

I have the most reliable information source... at least when it comes to Ukraine. Family members who live there, friends who got stuck there because some... reasons... Just saying.
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, I really care about global news, however, I am a radical and people will most often tend to disagree with my point of view of what is happening, so I am not really open about it. 

• Brohoof 1

Not really. I used to, but literally every single thing on the news is always so damn fucking depressing. >_>  Maybe I'm just watching the wrong sort of news, but I don't want to spend every day of my life hearing about murder and terrorrism and oppresion and corruption and about how the Earth is doomed to fail. Seriously, I have enough freakin' problems in my own life.

I am aware that the world is a terrible place to live filled with terrible people who do terrible things every single terrible day. And as long as I know that, then I don't think the news starts to matter as much. 

Not really. I used to, but literally every single thing on the news is always so damn fucking depressing. >_>  Maybe I'm just watching the wrong sort of news, but I don't want to spend every day of my life hearing about murder and terrorrism and oppresion and corruption and about how the Earth is doomed to fail. Seriously, I have enough freakin' problems in my own life.

I am aware that the world is a terrible place to live filled with terrible people who do terrible things every single terrible day. And as long as I know that, then I don't think the news starts to matter as much. 

You should watch the Icelandic news, there are always reports about a lamb being born, ducks crossing the road (literally) and some other cute things. We rarely ever tell anything about any crises happening in the world except for economical ones D: 

You should find some other place to see your news then. The world is making amazing progress. For one Nigeria is becoming a democracy, terror organisations are becoming weaker by the day, 9/10 girls go to school, the birthrate has stopped increasing and is at a steady 2.5 children per woman. Sadly many news sites do not cover this as these kinds of things are going slowly.

• Brohoof 3

You should watch the Icelandic news, there are always reports about a lamb being born, ducks crossing the road (literally) and some other cute things. We rarely ever tell anything about any crises happening in the world except for economical ones D: 

With the rate of violence being so low in Iceland, that shouldn't be very surprising. Still, that's quite funny XD

• Brohoof 1