Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone care about the global news?

Somberhoof

Yeah, I like to know what's happening. I'm not an American a person who only cares what's happening in their own country with no sentiment for the rest of the world.

I especially follow India and UK news. However, I am aware of the world news. I wouldn't mind discussing with you.

How do I do it though? I am new to the website and do not know how to.

I kind of do, although it's pretty much the same stuff every day. Problems in the Middle East that have been happening for the last 5000 years, a horrible race for president, and extremely one-sided debates.

Most people kind of disagree with my viewpoints (I live in Texas, though). I'm no radical though. I'm probably an average-ish political leftist in America, other than a few differences.

try too admit its not a good thing when I feel out of the loop with the world but some days the news pending on who its from just makes me too mad to watch it when im not sometimes yelling at the tv

Mostly where it comes to the energy sector as that is where my main interest lies. Like many others have said, seeing the global news is a sure way to get depressed.

Here's an article by Forbes titled: Wind and Solar Energy Technologies Eat Into Fossil Fuel Power's Business Plan

At least the energy sector is one area where positive change is happening.

Why should I care,since only country leader's like the president could solve it anyway,citizen's can't do much about it except for just watching it on t.v. or reading it on newspaper and that's about it.

Edited by Princess-Moonlight

Recently I stopped caring because its the usual, civil war, drug war, war, terrorist attack/bomb/conquest, crazed gunman, people fighting because they cant get along. Since all these are the usual I stopped caring but not completely, just a little to stay in touch with the world happenings.

Yes, I do care about what happens in the World, because I think nobody should act like it's not happening. With the war in Syria, Russia who sent soldiers there, Greece who nearly, some times ago, got excluded, I really don't see how people can't even think about it.

Edited by Xeltor

People need to realize that global events and politics affect pretty much everything

I really hate when people say "I don't really care about politics", or "It's none of my business". Like it or not, it is your business, even if you don't think it affects you at all, it most likely does, or will in some way.

I know a lot of users here are fairly young, and currently see no reason to care about politics, the economy, or world events as a whole, but the older you get, the more obvious its effects on you will be.

Educate yourself, pay attention to what's going on in your country and abroad, develop your own opinions. If you're going to vote in an election, make sure you vote for the person who you think is the best candidate. Vote based on the individual, not the political party.

Edited by Omega Centauri
  • Brohoof 1

Ditto. I regulary check news websites, usually from my country (although covering world news as well), sometimes also listening to BBC or reading their news service. It's like all the stuff you learn at school, maybe you don't need this specific piece of information, but all of it together broadens your horizonts.

• Brohoof 1

Vaguely, yeah. The problem with the news is that I never catch it at soon as it happens so when I do hear about an event they assume you already know about it and talk about the details without re-stating what the big picture is. I get left completely confused and out of the loop with no context.

Edited by Biggybrony

I do care and I'm very worried about everything going around. I just wish I could do more to help out. I wish I had the guts to travel oversea and teach poor kids how to read and write, I wish I had the guts to become a volunteer but I'm not better than any other person sitting on their ass acting up selfishly, complaining about things that are useless to complain about like how bad the food tasted in that restaurant the other day. I want to help countries get clean water, I want to be able to revive people that are dying in war right this minute. I'd like to help with so much more than I already am. I'm very aware of the world's situation, especially the environment and global warming, since I'm very dedicated in keeping nature safe and clean.

However, too many bad news at once really drains my motivation. There is SO much going on out there, it's horrible to listen to knowing that you can't do much about most of it. Not about some asshole president that's about to rule the other side of the world, not about normal beings that have a sexual appeal for the same gender being killed for no good reason in Russia, why, I'm a not very strong twenty year old woman who tries her best to treat the world right in the way she can. I'm not smart, I don't have any effective solutions to come with, I don't have much money but I do care so much, I just really wish I could do more. I'm a member of the nature guardians, that are against illegal hunting and killing of innocent animals. I take part of the fight against cancer by making the world aware. Whenever I see trash on the side of the road or in a flowerfield, I pick it up because I want to clean up our environment that WE are destroying. I give homeless people the small change I have left in my pocket whenever I get the time to, I take in hurt animals that I know I can help. Small stuff that I believe can make some change. I think everyone should do their part and our world could possibly become something more. We can all be a part of making everything just a little bit better.

Maybe we can't do more than these tiny things to make a change, but if more did it, it would make a great change eventually.

DON'T ignore global news just because you're too comfortable in your personal bubble, everypony. I know there are so many great people helping too, it saddens me to see how many people responding that they "don't care because it doesn't concern me or my country". We all need an eye-opener.

• Brohoof 1

I was listening this morning to TokFM, which is a Polish news radio station. Besides of regular news services, it has a lot of commentaries, talk shows, life advice, science, etc. The particular audition was about Umbrella Revolution. I was like "how have I never heard of this before?", and then - why do I care? And I did care purely because the show that talked about it was hella interesting and fun.

You can't make every news fun, but you can make every news interesting and show it to people in a way that they would see it in a greater picture, make them understand the case behind it and encourage them to find their opinion about it. Maybe the problem isn't that nobody cares, but that there isn't enough emphasis on making people want to care, making them simply curious about global matters?

I do care and I'm very worried about everything going around. I just wish I could do more to help out.

You can't help everywhere, but it's really awesome and important that you try to help where you can. :) Kudos!

The news in general is something I tend to avoid, mostly overly dramatic or depressing things are covered on most news outlets. Eventually that really becomes a downer. It is either that or political stuff that gets tiresome very fast. The only time I seem to care about the news is when something positive is actually reported (Something positive that matters) or if maybe something that is very concerning is reported, things that actually could have a negative effect on the world. For some reason I tend to monitor stuff like that at times, like the recent events in Syria and whatnot. Even though the way these things are reported often makes no sense at all. It is hard to follow news when the different sources have no idea what they are talking about. It is all a very messed up system.

• 5 years later...