Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone care about the global news?

Somberhoof

While I do try to keep myself informed on global news, I have realized that most if not all news outlets given their nature serving some type of benefactor I have very least stopped believing anything at face value. I try my best to read on it online, read sources etc. So do I care about news globally, I mean sure American politics do interest me and I try to be in on politics in Asia I don't care as much about European news as let's be fair very little information about it given all their censorship you'll have a hard time getting anyone to comment on anything just reminds you again of the great importance of having freedom of speech. Same story is true for Asian countries however, it's different somehow as I've talked to people from all over the world and usually I tell them what the "news" say and they all pretty much laugh at it and tell me anything you hear about this country is propaganda. Therefore I really don't follow the news so much as just trying to be well informed, interesting how we living in the information age have now so much information that we actually have to take great precautions to make sure what we are reading is true and that it is from someone that's only trying to write actual news regardless every news writer usually serves an audience and they want to hear what they want to hear so to speak. While I would encourage anyone to be well informed I would ask to keep an open mind but also to criticize the information while reading sources on it as well.

The only world news I watch deals with agricultural things. They say it like it is, no opinions on it and move on. For example "The country of Russia is currently experiencing a drought in parts of its highest yielding areas. They have had x less precipitation compared to the last decade. The markets today have rose slightly to none, with corn going a penny higher and wheat at an all time low for this time of year..."  no opinions, just here it is and that's it.

Most world news seems to be recycled US or tainted with a view pushing one way or the other on events that aren't exactly news worthy it seems.

I don't, because lately there hasn't been any good news whatsoever. Ninety percent of the items on the news piss me off in one way or another, so I just save myself the stress and ignore it completely. I can't fix these problems anyway. You could say I'm just putting my head in the sand, and you'd be right. I'll stop doing that once I get the feeling I can actually do something about any of the myriad things I consider to be wrong with the world.

• 3 months later...

One the one hand I do. I also think it's important especially in these times. On the other hand, I try to avoid news because often I gets me down.

I have no interest whatsoever in the news, global or otherwise. There’s no integrity in it anymore. If I want to enjoy some fiction I’ll go to the library and find something more entertaining.

Moments ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I have no interest whatsoever in the news, global or otherwise. There’s no integrity in it anymore. If I want to enjoy some fiction I’ll go to the library and find something more entertaining.

You can'tbelieve a word the media say anyway, Dreamy.

• 1 year later...

No. Hard no. 

On 2021-06-19 at 3:30 AM, Rainbow Cloud said:

Not really as it serves no purpose worrying about things I have no control over, I also distrust the media so take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Caring about the news is stupid to me when there is absolutely nothing you can accomplish by worrying about what the media says, nor can you trust what the media says at face value. 

• Brohoof 1

Occasionally, but generally I do not bother keeping up to date. News has the tendency to confirm my pessimistic inclination towards the state of the world, but this has already been achieved long ago and the purpose of news in this respect made redundant. There is the propaganda problem also; trying to have an objective understanding of the state of the world requires time and effort which, even if achieved, is prone to quickly become outdated (the prevailing narrative could turn the opposite direction in about three weeks with hardly anyone noticing). That is time and effort that is not worth investing for me; if I had the habit of reading the news on a regular basis, that is time not spent on reading about a dozen or so books per year (whose contents tend to have a longer lasting influence on me whereas whatever influence the insights in news may offer, if any, tend to be ephemeral).

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 1

I get local news from hearing things on Facebook from people around my neighborhood. But I never go to Facebook myself, so global news usually don't reach me unless it brings internet down.

• The title was changed to Anyone care about the global news?

I'll check occasionally, just to have an idea what's going on in the world, but other than that, no. It's not like I don't care or anything, but rather that global news is depressing 99% of the time.