Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open The Breaking Point

Lemon Slices

"Not really. ok, actually there IS something."

Enzo lowered his voice.

"Doesn't the ship feel... off to you? It feels.. completely dead. I'm sure your  earth pony senses can check for that"

"I noticed that too, this place feels unnatural, and not just because it's pony-made"

The last note seemed to hang on the air for an eternity, but nevertheless it signified the end of her current repertoire. She rather wished that she had chosen a better song on which to end her session; the new addition to the repertoire felt a bit too melancholic for her taste, almost oppressive, even. Deciding that next time she would include a piece in the Roccoco style to follow for brightness, she rather tiredly stowed her guitar back in her case, fumbling with the clasps as she did so.

The price of being an earth pony musician, she thought ruefully as she massaged her hooves, sore from the extended session. Typically, all of the best musicians in Equestria were unicorns, for magic was by far the easiest way to manipulate an instrument. There was an immense satisfaction, she found, in seemingly defying the laws of nature by playing with her hooves, hoping to someday rival the skill of such great musicians...

A pervasive odor assailed her nostrils in the midst of her musings. Looking about her quarters in an attempt to identify the offending source, she found herself to be in a rather surreal moment. The cabin had seemed to have lost some of its charm since she has first started playing music. The walls appeared to be graying; the fruit decaying; the carpet fraying. Even the size of the room seemed to have shrunken in upon itself. And yet, she could still see the room as it had originally appeared. It was as though the changes were so imperceptible that they could chose not to exist, but when focused upon they seemed more vivid than life. The ever-changing atmosphere was rather haunting, as the very walls seemed to breathe with something Aria would not quite have compared to life. Seeking escape, she fumbled with the door for a few seconds, her eyes unable to tear themselves away from the scene unfolding before her. Finally successful, she lost her balance as the door flew open, stumbling into the hallway and ultimately onto her back as the door sealed itself shut.

Edited by Wubtavia
  • Brohoof 1

"I... I shouldn't have done this. I... What is wrong with me?"

Slices realized that his attempt to avoid showing everypony his shame just increased it. It was time to go there and show everything was normal with him. As if anypony was caring about him. "I'll try to talk with the crew, maybe."

He wasn't on his bed. He was lying on the rug. He got up, arranging his hair (Or not, since it didn't need any organization), and walked into the door. In the second step, he heard a door closing. In his fourth, a door got unlocked! Curious about this, he sped up his steps and opened his door a second later, only to see a mare falling on the ground and a door closing itself. Surprised, he didn't know what to do for a second, but after looking to her face... "Oh damn, I need to do something, or this moment will be awkward".

Lemon checked her senses to see if it was alright. "Oh... Are you okay? Did you got hurt?" She was lucky to fall on the small carpet in the front of her door, avoiding the hard wooden floor. As Aria's mane was covering her eyes, he just thought she fell asleep with the fall, but when he uncovered the mane bangs, the eyes were looking to him. "Oh! Hello, my name is Lemon Sli-Slices. What's yo-yours?" Realizing she was still fallen, Lemon offered a hoof.

Edited by Lemon Slices
  • Brohoof 1

Cuddle smiled. "Yeah. I thought it was just because how big the ship was, but maybe there's something else at work here..." She didn't try to notice the feeling, but it was there still. The eerie feeling is undeniablely sane for her to think.

During the momentarily silence, she heard a soft, but noticeable thud outside in the hall. "Did you hear that? Is somepony hurt?" She thinks, 'Please be a terrifying mythical creature! With a cherry on top!'

From one terrifying sight to another, Aria found herself face to face with another pony. Of course, she would take the pony over the shapeshifting room, but the sight was still somewhat startling. She waved away the hoof of the newcomer, instead relying upon her own to draw herself up to her full composure.

"Aria Rosewood", replied the mare curtly, "and yes, I am fine. I was merely having a spot of trouble opening the door." 

Under the guise of testing the door, she gave a small heave, bracing herself for whatever horrid sight might be unfolding. Yet the room looked as immaculate as it ever had, rendering her speechless and rooted to the spot. After several seconds spent glancing at all of the corners of the room in bewilderment, she gently closed the door behind her. Regaining her air of sophistication, she sought to suavely smooth over the situation.

"Yes, it appears to be in working order now. If you do not mind, I was actually preparing to find the captain. Perhaps we shall meet again under less pressing circumstances...Lemon, was it? Take care, Lemon."

And with that, she drifted down the corridor with as much elegance as she could muster.

No need to fret, Aria; you are only having a mental breakdown.

• Brohoof 2

"Wow. Seems like everypony is busy. Well, the crew got their problems. I need to go to my room."

Back to his cabinet, and his bed... Lemon thought about his adventure. "Oh... I don't have paper... Do I have to keep all in my memories? And if I forget something?"

His stomach started to wrap itself. "Seasickness", he said. Got up, running to the bathroom, to the toilet. However, the equine digestive system can't regurgitate, so he just needed to feel this for a couple of minutes. But it wasn't seasickness. It was more than his stomach. His body became weak, and his only defense was saying something. But his pain were so intense that Lemon's voice pitch increased madly, as well as the intensity, catching serious attention. He was green by the outside, but under his fur... His skin was white. "Heeee....EEEEEEE", and a silence. His eyes were no longer moving, although his heart was still beating. He couldn't finish the phrase. It was a sudden blackout. The emergency team should be called. But where?

Enzo stood up and paced around the room, giving in to his paranoia and looking through the peep-hole of the door.

"I'm sure it's just some luggage falling over, it's a ferry after all", Enzo replied as he felt the thud through Khris's sensitive metal: His tip was touching the ground, feeling the vibrations emanating throughout the ship.

"Someone probably forgot to secure their-"

Enzo was suddenly interrupted by wave of nausea. He stumbled around the room, suddenly losing his balance. His hearing was gone, replaced with a sharp ringing in his ears, muffling all sounds.

"ENZO. Something's wrong with the ship. This is not seasickness"

He vision blurred as he collapsed back on the couch. He felt his magic flickering, akin to static on a tv screen.

"Based on my analysis, the ship is sending out 'EMP waves' that seems to be... disrupting...the flow of natural magic in everypony's bodies. The magic that gives us our strength."

Struggling to maintain his concentration, Enzo managed to mentally rasp: "If this wave is magical in nature, why aren't you affected?"

Khris did the best he could to look like he was frowning with his one eye. "Peculiar, the waves seem to be bouncing off me... Must be because i'm a ghost type, or more likely the lack of natural magic in a sword, Hey, grab hold of me, maybe I can insulate you from the waves, act like a lightningrod and then repel the waves"

Barely able to stay concious, Enzo fumbled around the room for Khris. He managed to get a hold on the hand-like end of Khris's tassel, and suddenly, everything became clear. His nausea and disorientation were gone,it was alike wiping the fog off your goggles.

"That actually worked"

"No problem"

"We better maintain close contact for the rest of the journey in case something like this happens again."  , Enzo shuddered at the memory of what the pulse did to his magic.

"Damn, so you're not leaving me in the toilet?"

"I'm afraid not.", Enzo replied as he looked to see if his fellow cabin-mate required any assistance.

Edited by Guest

Cuddle, being non-magical didn't get the same feeling, but she did feel an odd tension. All she did was grimace and grunt. 'What the hay...' She thought quickly.

"You felt that sea sickness? But... I'm not seasick usually." Cuddle recovered quicker then what she seemed she could handle. But the tension laid there in a small amount, she was one tough pony. "I'm just glad the worst of it was over..."

Lemon woke up. The blackout didn't last a minute. He needed to tell the others... Before it was too late. "Where are the others, where are the others... I need to tell something to the crew..."

Quickly, he ran past the bathroom, the bedroom, his door... Lemon left it open. Desperate for somepony to protect him... He asked to himself: "Why am I so dependable of other ponies? Can't I just resist by myself?"... "No. I can't..."

...and knocked the third door. "Are anypony there????" *Three strong knocks*

"Well, I need help. I can't be alone..." And he knocked faster.

• Brohoof 1

Having briefly studied the map of the ferry hanging in the corridor in which she currently found herself, Aria proceeded towards the location marked "control room." Surely that is where the captain should be, otherwise, what is the point of his job? As she walked, an eerie calm seemed to steal over the ship. It was rather haunting, and somewhat daunting. It was a sense that she was the only pony left drifting through these halls, the ship abandoned, sinking to unknown depths.

She shook off these suspicions as she reached the captain's room, but only for a few seconds. The sight before her seemed to confirm the feeling. The room was completely devoid of life, and not only organic, but mechanical as well. In fact, it appeared as though the room had not been used in decades, between the rust and the plethora of cobwebs. Backing out of the room slowly, she felt stunned. She could not, for only the second time in her life, provide a logical explanation, the first having occurred not ten minutes ago.

The other passengers.

And so she headed back from whence she came at a reasonable pace, hoping that she was truly not the only pony that currently existed on the ferry.

Edited by Wubtavia
  • Brohoof 1

Enzo raised an eyebrow at him roommate's apparent immunity to the pulse.

'Perhaps earth ponies are immune to magical pulses, similar to how ground types are immune to electric types' ,Khris mused.

"Quite possible, however, have you noticed how.. quiet the entire ship has been? You would think that such an event would cause a panic among the other passengers? I can't possibly be the only magic-user on this ship"

Enzo was about to share his concerns with Cuddle, when he was interrupted by a rapid series of knocks on the cabin's door.

*BANG BANG BANG*

"Let me get that for you", Enzo said to Cuddle, his pace towards the door quickening as the knocks became increasingly frantic. Wrapping Khris's tassel around his neck in precaution, he cautiously opened the door to greet the newcomer.

And promptly slammed the door in his face.

"Oh boy it's that green pony again.. We are in deep shit"

Nervously chuckling, Enzo turned to face cuddle.

"Um, I think i have a confession to make"

The door opened. And closed violently.

"What is happening there? Why did he made this? Just this time that I... Wait. I am feeling some strange smell..."

He was talking about the mold, and the rust smell that came from somewhere else. Walking in the main room...

He noticed some cracks behind the sofa. Pulling the sofa, there was a hole. A big, dark hole. "Oh, I think this is not a good idea" he said to himself. But a smell of mold was coming from the hole. Not that he never sensed it before, but it was so weak... Now that he got close, he got against the odds, and decided to investigate.

Slices followed the path. It was a dark corridor. The coal and mold smells, the cobwebs... Some centipedes were walking on the walls. "Ouch!", as he hit something very hard and cold. It was another door, in the end of the corridor. He forced the door, and it went open.

A quick, feminine sigh made itself. The room was bad-illuminated, and he found the same centipedes, cobwebs, lights, and the smells of the corridor. This time, he saw something... That hid from Slices. The pony is not going to show itself, but the game of hide-and-seek won't last long. She needs to show her face again.

Edited by Lemon Slices
  • Brohoof 1

Cuddle saw the confusion, and ignored it. But when he said he had a confession, after hastily closing the door... That caught some suspicion. "Oh... What is it?" She said with a questioning stare. "Is it something that you should have told me earlier? Tell me that at least."

"Ok, you know what? buck it, we'll just jump ship if things go south"

Enzo sat back down on his beloved couch.

"You know when i was telling you that  lost my key? I was lying. I'm a stowaway. I told that green stallion that you were my special someponyt oo get him off my back"

He shifted uneasily in his seat, preparing to sprint if the mare got pissed.

"So, uh, work with me?"

Cuddle wasn't sure if she should keep up the act. 'THIS PONY DID WHAT!? I THOUGHT HE WAS WEIRD, BUT THIS PISSES ME OFF!' The immense amount of anger she felt seemed to make air around her blur from it's strength. "You mean... Somepony thinks we are together... Is that it? Huh?" Her calm demeanor was surprisingly good. "Well... I got a secret too... I'm not NICE!" She quickly lunged at him, knocked him backwards on his back, and pinned Enzo down by the neck, with her hoove holding one of his front ones. "You messed with the wrong traveller, mister." She then smiled. "But I'm no murderer, nor do I like to beat a weakling like ya, I still will destroy whatever dominance you think you did hold. Got it?"

(@ Edited!)

Edited by Overlord0909
  • Brohoof 1

Lemon Slices heard something really loud, some bangs, that were trembling throughout all the ship. It scared the mare that was on that dark room. He was about to ask her her name, but there was a more important question:

"Please, tell me: In what kind of room I am? Damn, too loud. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, I guess, but..."

"Well... I don't know too. I think this is the coal deposit. I... Please, don't talk too loud, if they..."

"They who?"

"...I can't tell you..."

Thanks to her voice, Slices could sense where she is and get closer, silent. When he finally saw her face...

It wasn't a messy mare, covered in coal dust. Before the thin, and alone green stallion, she was a goddess to him. Her eyes could still shine in the dark, reflecting the dying flashing lights in the room. He asked a different question:

"What is your name?"

"My name... A-Are y-you one of the-e-em?" A tear started to roll on her face. Her stuttering voice, along with the tears, stirred Lemon's kindness. He hold her hoof, and said, with the most comforting words he could ever say:

"I'm certainly not one of them, no matter what you mean." ... "I can help you get in a safe place. I have frien- I mean, colleagues, that will certainly help you. What are you carrying with you?"

"O-O-Only my book. Bu-ut, are you sure you can bring me back?"

"I..." A new type of feeling formed in his heart, for the first time. "I will. Let's go. Need any help?"

"Thanks, mister... Mister... ''Slices'' Mister Slices... May the odds help us..."

Edited by Lemon Slices
  • Brohoof 1

Enzo maintained eye contact with the mare from his position on the floor. He activated his magic, snaking Khris behind the mare.

"Oh, i don't think i hold any kind of dominance"

Khris cast a frost enchantment on himself, chilling himself to the temperature of liquid nitrogen.

"This ship is a fire hazard after all"

"Besides, why all this aggresion? All you needed to do was refuse to help."

Khris mentally nodded, and prepared to strike.

"Well, it was nice knowing you.."

Khris poked Cuddle's rump with the chilled blade, causing her to shriek and jump sky high.

"but i'm afraid i will have to go. SEEE YOUUUU"

Enzo used this opportunity to escape, pulling Khris along with him and back to his place as his scarf. He burst through the door, expecting to run into that lime-green stallion. To his surprise, he did not.

"So, all of that was for nothing?!"

"It would appear so"

Sighing in disbelief ( in unison ), the duo bolted into the main room of the ship. They noticed the large hole in the wall.

"We are NOT hiding in there"

They continued running. Making up their mind to find a way off the ship, headed to the captain's bridge.

"The bridge ALWAYS has breakable windows"

They soon arrived at their destination. However, something was amiss. The bridge was eerily empty. Devoid of life, even. There was no crew present at all. Enzo glazed his hoof over the ship's console. Pulling back his hoof, he noticed it was covered in dust.

"This ship.. it hasn't been used in ages. This technology was from MY time as a pony"

"But the real question is..."

in unison: "Why are we here?"

Enzo wiped away the grime that covered the windows with his magic. The ship's exterior was obscured with mist, and it was eerily dark: not even luna's moon could pierce through the shroud. Turning behind to face his pursuer, and possibly for dramatic effect, Enzo said, quite shockingly, in a serious tone:

"I think we have bigger things to worry about."

"WATER we going to eat?"

Cuddle rubbed her flank with her head as much as possible. 'THAT IDIOT! I WAS GOING TO LET HIM GO AND SAY HE'S PRETTY GUTSY, THEN HE DOES SOMETHING TO ME? Sure... I kicked out his legs and pinned him down, but I said I wouldn't beat him up... Now though..." Cuddle said she wouldn't fight any mythical creature with an artifact... But a pony isn't one of those. She grins with intent. "You messed with the wrong traveller indeed..." With a snarl she ran after him, the heavy hoof steps echoing in the ships halls.

• Brohoof 1

Lemon could hear anything, everything. So was Renatta, because of the silence of the corridor. Somepony ran past the hole. Some heavy steps made the ground tremble, and some cracks made itselves.

"Hey, wait!... I think he didn't heard us."

"It's fine. You are with me, and you said you will help me..."

Lemon smiled, as he got trust, for the first time in the ship.

"Can I ask you something now?"

"You are already asking me something! I'm kidding, go on." Said Renatta, smiling.

"Well... Who are... they? I mean, the ones you meant by saying that."

"Ah... It's a long story. And I need to be in the safe place first. I'm in a shock state, Slices! C'mon!"

"Oh, I'm so sorry... Well, it wasn't my intention to..."

It was the time of her hold his hoof. It became a symbol of their confidence to each other, even if their friendship was shorter than an hour. Renatta's eyes wanted light this time. Wanted light from Lemon's.

"Look at me. Did you know I was starving? I want to thank you so much, after you bring to me this safe place you promised me... Listen, I believe on you." And she blinked to him. The reader already knows Lemon, and knows his reaction.

Edited by Lemon Slices
  • Brohoof 1

The angry mare finally was reaching his location. Cuddle grinned, like a pony who's about to win. "You messed with the wrong pony!" She yells down the hall.

As she rounds the corner to the captain's bridge, she sees him staring through the window. "HEY! You really ticked me off. Now..." She raises a hoof with a thick horseshoe on it. "You are going to lose a limb. Leg or arm?" She questioned not waiting for a response.

She ran at him in an insane, out of control, ramming speed. At the last second, Enzo barely dodges, and her hoof is now raised in a punch, which (gladly for Enzo) misses, and hits the window...

A pulse of raw magic explodes from the impact, and sends them both flying through the air. Cuddle moans, landing on her back. "Owwwwwww! Ow ow owowowow! That hurt..." She gasped as she saw the window. "It can't be..."

Enzo raised an eyebrow at this. He wondered if the mare was trying to get the drop on him, given the fact that he hoof steps were as loud as thunder AND echoed in the halls .

He held up a hoof to cuddle

" ( blue words (I'm on mobile) ) As I said, we have bigger things to worry about. Food and water.. Basic amenities"

His eyes widened in horror

"(Blue) please don't tell me you're on your period"

Cuddle shook her head. "You may not understand... But these horseshoes give massive damage boosts to the wearer... The glass can't be that strong. Unless..." She took another look at the window. "It must magic proof. Only reason I couldn't break with tons of raw magic."

After saying all that, she remembered what he said. "Oh yeah. I still am going to rip off one of limbs, maybe two now. But at this moment, we'll work together." Cuddle looked at his hoof and brushed it aside, got up and headed back down the bridge with a slight limp.

'No way is a loser like that helping me... He thinks he can be my friend now, bad timing for rude comments and personal comments too... If I was younger, I might've killed him.'

Edited by Overlord0909

" (Khris) this is serious, we might starve to death here, and no one is going to pick me up again if you die here"

The stag nodded in agreement. After taking a quick glance behind him to ensure cuddle was no longer looking, he turned back to the window and activated his magic, studying the shield. He activated his magic and memories the shield's spell matrix: the shield could be useful against the mare in the future.

Taking one last longing look at the windows, he turned around and followed cuddle out of the bridge.

" (Khris)we can't avoid that green stallion forever, you know"

Enzo narrowed his eyes. "It's time for a cofrontation then, not like we have any choice"

"What's your name?"

"You can call me Quartz. Renatta Quartz."

*Glass-beating noises happen*

"God! What is this?"

"We should take a look, Mr. Lemon," she said smiling. "Then you take me to the safe place."

"Y-Y-Yes. Let's take a look." Slices smiled as well, looking to Renatta's face. His expression wasn't normal. "The noises come from that way, follow me"

"Okay."

They followed the noises... That became voices... "They're definantly from the crew. My colleagues. What are they doing?"

"Mr. Lemon, why do you keep calling them 'Colleagues'?"

Lemon wouldn't tell the truth. "Because we are in a mission. Colleagues, teammates... I'd call them whatever."

"They are your friends, Slices. Colleagues... Sound too methodical..."

"I never seen them before this travel, Quartz. They came here because of a mission. The yellow mare, Aria, the white unicorn with the sword... We are cohabiting, not co-living. We are reaching to the Far Lands."

"Far Lands? Wow... You all are a bit audacious, you should know."

"Why audacious? I trust in the team.... I mean, in they. I'm not too much into fighting. I just wanted something to share in my books."

When the two came to the point of seeing them, Renatta asked again:

"Hey, Lemon, wait. Are they really from your crew, If they... are they..."

"101% certain. Just look at 'em. They were fighting all that time. But why are they hitting that glass? HEY YOU TWO!"

Enzo and Cuddle look awkwardly at the two, as they would be thinking "How the hay did she come from" and "Oh no, that green stallion again..." "What is the problem? Why were you two fighting? And why are you two trying to break the glass?"

"Ahn... Hello! my name is Quartz ^-^"

Edited by Lemon Slices
  • Brohoof 1

Cuddle looked up to see insanely green stallion again. 'It's him from earlier...' She spoke up first. "You don't need to know about the fight. It's over, but the glass..." She was still flabbergasted. "It didn't break..." Cuddle had thoughts. But she didn't know if the others would listen, at least not now. "Do you know what's up?" She said, without looking at Lemon.