Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

staff q+a Batbrony Q&A

Simon

Typing this one from my phone since my PC just blew up so I'll keep it short and sweet.  This week we'll be chatting it up with my PR team's very own Batbrony.  Batbrony is not only the second in command of Poniverse PR but he also runs Poniverse's FiMFiction group and leads our social media efforts.

And to get things started...

What made you get interested in fanfiction?

• Brohoof 6

Hello Batbrony! It's great to have you do a Q&A.

I have two questions. Firstly, why is Derpy your favourite pony? And secondly, when did you come up with the idea of a Batman/MLP:FiM crossover? From what I've read so far, it's very well-written. :)

• Brohoof 5

if ponies were bats would bats be ponies?

What interests you in batponies =)?

How you got into bats?

what made you choose your username =)?

What is your batting average in baseball?

are bats your friends =)?

are you and Koukatsu derpy buddies?

*bathugs*?

do you bat your eye often =)?

bats are said to be lively in night you lively in night =)?

do you control an army of bats?

there is dragonborn but is there batborn?

Bat was in battle. He was battling a bat with a baseball bat drinking battery at the same time batting his eye  

• Brohoof 6

Hello there Batbrony. Hope you're feeling good today. :)

Since you seem to be a big batman fan, who is your favorite Batman villain and why?

• Brohoof 4

What made you get interested in fanfiction?

That would probably be my great friend on the forums, DashForever, which is actually very funny in some ways considering I know he doesn't read fanfiction anymore nearly as much as he used to.  But back in, oh, I believe it was the summer of 2013 if I'm remembering it correctly, he kept encouraging me to read "The Life and Times of a Winning Pony."  I was a bit skeptical at first, mostly because I'd tried in the past to get into fanfiction from other fandoms to varying extents, but never really could, mostly because most other fanfiction horribly presents itself online.  Most fanfiction sites, including major ones like Fanfiction.net, are absolute crap, and it's almost impossible to find quality fics on them because they don't have good tools in place for measuring how good a fic is, the only stat that usually shows up is how many views they have.  Fimfiction.net is completely different; knighty, the site's owner, is obsessed with statistics and has given readers pretty much every means possible of knowing how well-received a fic is and what's quality stuff, and what isn't.  Sure, crap still gets popular plenty of times, but for the most part the site is wonderfully well-organized and it's really easy to find really, really good fics there, some of which have gotten so popular (such as the primary titles of the Fallout: Equestria series) that their authors have actually published hard copies of them!  So I guess basically that once I saw that not only were some of the fics on there really, really good, but also that Fimfiction is to fanfiction sites what MLP Forums is to forums, I was hooked.

I have two questions. Firstly, why is Derpy your favourite pony? And secondly, when did you come up with the idea of a Batman/MLP:FiM crossover? From what I've read so far, it's very well-written.

Morning Odyssey, and thank you, it's good to be here doing this.  :P   Derpy becoming my best pony goes way back to when I first got into the show and before I even joined the forums, and a couple of things went into it.  First was just the fact that when everything about the show was still so new, Derpy was one of the first things that jumped out to me, not in a big way at first, but more and more as time went on.  I love the little things that make a great show stand out from others, and her constant cameos, a direct reaction to fan love for her, struck me as a most definitely awesome little thing about the show that made it great.

The other factor was that the Derpy Controversy of 2012 was just winding down when I got into the show; I didn't know much about it at first, but the more I watched the show and the more I found out, the more I just couldn't wrap my head around it.  It seemed like a perfect case of people getting offended by something that isn't offensive (which happens far too much these days  >_>), and if anything it was kind of sexist.  I'd grown up watching the likes of Ed in Ed, Edd, n' Eddy, Patrick Star in Spongebob Squarepants, and Billy in The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, just to name a few of the vast plethora of incompetent to downright idiotic supporting characters in comedy cartoon shows mostly dominated by male characters intended for a male audience, and no one had ever as far as I knew so much as raised a finger against any of them or said that they were mocking mentally disabled individuals (heck, most of these characters were stars of their shows!).  But in Derpy's case, we had a background character with funny eyes and a funny name speaking in a silly voice for the very first time and just being a bit of a klutz, and suddenly she's mocking mentally disabled people?  That's just plain stupid and nonsensical, it got her kicked from the show for most of an entire season, and the more I saw how some people were getting butthurt over her, the more I got mad about it. :okiedokielokie:

Don't get me wrong, my anger about that isn't why I love her, no, that'd be stupid.  To me, Derpy represents in her own little way everything good about the show; the care that the creators have had for it and how much they've listened to the fans from the get go (no matter how unexpected our love for the show turned out to be), the innocence and good heart of the show, the idea embodied by the Mane 6 themselves (and something that Lauren herself pushed from the start) that you don't have to be defined by your gender or what you do even to be a good character, but just be a good character or have endearing qualities about you.  Derpy happens to be a klutz and a female character, the combination of which is a rarity itself in a children's show, but what really makes her stand out is that she's so positive and upbeat, never really lets anything get her down for long, and finally, is basically a fan creation in that she only got more and more fleshed out as a character (culminating this very season in her first starring role in Slice of Life) on account of how much the fans fell in love with her.  All of these are little things, I know, but like I said, I love the little things that make a great show great, and to me, Derpy will always be the ultimate little thing that makes MLP so great.

Sorry for that rant.  :please:   As for your second question, I think the idea came to me when I'd been reading MLP fanfiction for a month or so.  Part of it was that I was by myself in the middle of nowhere in northern Michigan in a very remote part of the state on an internship, so got a bit lonely at times and wanted to do something to give back to the MLP community.  I wasn't a visual artist, musician, or video maker, but what I was good at was writing, but doing a Slice of Life or more traditional adventure fic didn't really appeal to me.  I figured if I was gonna do this, I might as well combine like I always had since joining the fandom two properties I love more than most others, Batman and MLP.  That's pretty much how that started, and I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.  :squee:

if ponies were bats would bats be ponies?

What interests you in batponies =)?

How you got into bats?

what made you choose your username =)?

What is your batting average in baseball?

are bats your friends =)?

are you and Koukatsu derpy buddies?

*bathugs*?

do you bat your eye often =)?

bats are said to be lively in night you lively in night =)?

do you control an army of bats?

there is dragonborn but is there batborn?

Bat was in battle. He was battling a bat with a baseball bat drinking battery at the same time batting his eye  

1.  :sunbutt:

2. Given that they've literally only shown up for about 5 seconds in the show, mostly their awesome designs and the loads of great fan art that's centered around them.  The very idea of bat ponies just seems so awesome, and I really hope they do make a return to the show someday!  They're so cute!!!  :wub:

sig-4077070.large.png

3. Funny thing is I'm not really into bats (though I do think that Australia's Flying Foxes are certainly quite cute, and bats themselves are definitely an underrated and important creature to any ecosystem).  But really it goes back to my love for Batman that started wayyyyyyyy back in my childhood.

4. Usernames are tricky business, and I've never been a fan of people who constantly change theirs (unless it's for holidays or special occasions).  But I wanted something that was simple, but also unique enough that it would be easily remembered, so, as with so many things that I've done since I joined the fandom, I combined two things that I love, Batman and MLP.

5. No idea, last time I played baseball on an actual team I was like 9.

6. Sadly no.

7. We don't chat a whole lot but we definitely share a mutual love for our favorite mailmare!

8. Yesh!!!  :wub:

sig-4077070.large.gif

9. Not really since I haven't really flirted that much, but I certainly blink plenty.  :lie:

10. Well I'm certainly up late enough at night, though that's not always a good thing.  ;)

11. Sadly, no.

12. I like to think that Batman is batborn.

Who is a bigger Derpy fan: you or Kou?

Now, now, loving Derpy is no competition, she just deserves all the love she can get from anypony who wants to give it. (but it's totally me!!!!!!!!)

Since you seem to be a big batman fan, who is your favorite Batman villain and why?

Not exactly an inspired choice or anything, but probably the Joker, just because he's the anti-thesis of everything that Batman represents and fights for, which makes him a very classic villainous character in that regard in the same vein as say Thor and Jormungandr, bitter enemies to the very end who represent everything the other stands against.  But that said, I've always felt that Batman has the best rogues gallery of any superhero in Marvel or DC, and that it's a huge part of what makes him such a great character; Two Face is a very tragic villain with a lot of history with Batman, Catwoman represents both temptation but also works in a very gray world unlike the black-and-white one that Batman operates in, and sometimes teaches Batman a few lessons of her own, foes like the Riddler and Hugo Strange are largely intellectual opponents, the Scarecrow uses fear to terrorize the innocent because he likes to in contrast to Batman using fear to terrify criminals, Ra's al Ghul is basically a megalomaniacal version of Batman seeking more permanent solutions to the world's problems, Bane is the ultimate physical opponent to Batman but pit himself against him by matching both his wits and strength against him, the list goes on and on.  While I wouldn't say Batman is defined by his villains as that's insulting to his character, they definitely have helped flesh out the world of Gotham in ways that few other characters could, and I think the only superhero whose villains play as big of a role defining his world would be Spiderman and his rogues gallery.

• Brohoof 7

How would you rank the Mane 6?

That actually is a kind of funny quirk about me; I don't actually have a favorite member of the Mane 6 and have never been crazy about picking one (which is probably another reason why I decided to make my best pony a background character).  They're such a perfect ensemble cast to me who bounce off of each other so very well that, like I said, I just can't pick a favorite from them, they're all great in their own ways.  They have their strengths and weaknesses, but together there's really nothing they can't do, and I love that about them.

• Brohoof 3

That actually is a kind of funny quirk about me; I don't actually have a favorite member of the Mane 6 and have never been crazy about picking one (which is probably another reason why I decided to make my best pony a background character).  They're such a perfect ensemble cast to me who bounce off of each other so very well that, like I said, I just can't pick a favorite from them, they're all great in their own ways.  They have their strengths and weaknesses, but together there's really nothing they can't do, and I love that about them.

That's an interesting answer... :blink:

What is your least favorite episode of MLP?

• Brohoof 3

I never really see you around D: D:. Where do you spend most of your time on the forums :3? 

Why so serious? 

why_so_serious__by_veddabredda-d3e7o5m.p

What do you think about the new movie with Batman and Superman that will come in theaters soon? 

• Brohoof 3

That's an interesting answer... :blink:

What is your least favorite episode of MLP?

Oh that's easy for me, MMMystery on the Friendship Express.  I won't go into details here, but absolutely nothing about that episode works for me.  I'll link you to my review of it if you want to see my thoughts on every little thing that doesn't work.  :D

MMMystery on the Friendship Express Review

Batbrony, Chocolate, Vanilla, or Strawberry?

Chocolate.  :P

I never really see you around D: D:. Where do you spend most of your time on the forums :3? 

Why so serious? 

sig-4077190.why_so_serious__by_veddabred

What do you think about the new movie with Batman and Superman that will come in theaters soon? 

These days I mostly hang out in Show Discussion, especially when new episodes premiere, Sugarcube Corner (though not as much as I used to) and Canterlot Castle as well as Poniverse Events.  Admittedly I'm not on the forums quite as much as I used to be, but that's not entirely surprising given that so many of my staff responsibilities keep me preoccupied with Fimfiction.

And if you met me in person, you'd know I'm not that serious at all.  :derp:

As for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, I'm quite optimistic about it right now.  I used to be cautiously optimistic, but the developments with it this summer have left me more confident in how it's going to turn out.  :muffins:   Still, won't know for sure until March, but until then, let the hype train begin!!!  :ph34r:

• Brohoof 4

Are you a fan of Heath Ledger? 

Do you have a theory about how the Joker got his scars in that film (no need to answer in detail, a simple yes or no will do in case of PG13 :)). 

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony

• Brohoof 4

Are you a fan of Heath Ledger? 

Do you have a theory about how the Joker got his scars in that film (no need to answer in detail, a simple yes or no will do in case of PG13 :)). 

sig-4077216.my-little-pony-friendship-is

I haven't seen a whole lot of his other work (aside from like "10 Things I Hate About You") but I will always be a fan of Heath Ledger for his Joker performance alone, and I'm terribly sad that we lost him so soon given how great a full career from him could have really been.  As for the scars, I don't really have a theory, mostly because I like it when the Joker's background remains shrouded in mystery and ambiguity.  If he has a potential background, sure, that's find, but it should never be certain; just adds to the menace of the character by making him this unexplainable evil that seemingly came from nowhere.

What is your favorite kind of muffin?

Hard to say, though I do make this recipe I found online that's pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, those are really good.  But my favorite flavors would probably be butter rum, blueberry, double chocolate chip, and lemon poppy seed, though they have to be good muffins first and foremost cause it's really easy to screw all of those flavors up (there's nothing worse than a dry muffin, bleh).

• Brohoof 4

What has been the most difficult part of working on the Public Relations team?

If you could magically make every member of the fandom read one fanfic, which would it be and why?

Also when are those contest results gonna be out  :o 

• Brohoof 2

Who is your favorite bat Pony?

Probably Midnight Blossom; she's shown up in a few fics I've read and she seems to be rather fleshed out for a bat pony OC.  Plus she's quite feisty, but also rather playful and cute.

sig-4077353.large.png

What has been the most difficult part of working on the Public Relations team?

If you could magically make every member of the fandom read one fanfic, which would it be and why?

Also when are those contest results gonna be out  :o 

Most difficult part is probably coming up with new contests prompts and just trying to keep getting new members to join our Fimfiction group in general.  Not much of a group if it's dead, right?  :please:

If I could magically make every member of the fandom read one fanfic?  WHY MY OWN, OF COURSE!!!  :yay:   Just kidding.  :lie:   Oh, I'd probably say Chengar Qordath's Lunar Rebellion, because unlike his best known fic The Life and Times of a Winning Pony, that one seems sadly underrated (and don't get me wrong, it's very popular already, but it should be way more popular than it is, it's just so well-written and such unique fare for MLP fanfiction!).

And as for the contest results, they should hopefully be up this Friday.  :derp: 

• Brohoof 4

How do you feel when the forums go down?

Unless it's for like a whole day or two not too miffed, I'm kept plenty busy with my grad work or just chores around the house that it's not that inconvenient.

Are you part batman part depry or vice versa?

Me personally?  I wish I was part either of them.  ^_^   That would be pretty awesome though, for sure.  :sunshower:

What's your favorite Batman movie?

Tricky question, very tricky question.  Individually, The Dark Knight is probably my favorite stand-alone Batman film, but taken together with the whole trilogy I actually like The Dark Knight Rises the most, and there's a plethora of fantastic Batman animated films out there like Batman: Year OneBatman: Mask of the PhantasmBatman: Under the Red Hood, and The Dark Knight Returns, so it's always very difficult to decide for sure.

• Brohoof 5

What is your taste in music?

I like all sorts of music, but I especially have a penchant for classic country, particularly Johnny Cash and Hank Williams.

• Brohoof 3