Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you feel when you're buying MLP stuff in a shop?

Szmeszek

Everypony in this thread is right: usually the folks at Hot Topic don't really mind and remember that since they have the pony merchandise in there, they likely have other Bronies buying stuff as well. They're likely used to Bronies coming and buying pony stuff.

Two tips from the times I've gone to Hot Topic to satisfy my pony needs:

1. My first time ever going to get pony merchandise, I went with a friend to a Hot Topic near where I live. It's a lot easier when you have company, lemme tell ya; even better if the friend you go with is a Brony as well, which was the case with me.

2. Act natural. I just make idle small talk with whoever is ringing me up, and it usually goes very well. I've actually gotten to know the people who work at the Hot Topic near where I live, since I go in there a lot. I even found out that most of the people who work there enjoy the show as well, and I got into a good conversation with a girl who was ringing up my pony merchandise once.

I guess maybe these tips don't apply for everyone, but they definitely helped me get over the barrier to going out and picking up pony merchandise.

Now, try going into Target and buying some pony merchandise from there...

That was an interesting experience for me, to say the least. Didn't get any odd looks though and the guy at the register was very nice. I think you'll find that most people will be indifferent toward you.

I don't shop at Hot Topic on principle, and what little pony stuff I do buy, it's all online (much wider selection :)).

However, I do buy women's underwear from stores on a semi-regular basis. I'm used to it now, but when I first started, I was really nervous. I find that getting some good headphones and listening to loud music helps, since it drowns out other people, and you can focus on the music instead of any weird looks you may get.

Also, go right after it opens or right before it closes. At those times, most stores are pretty empty, and any employees will be too busy setting up or cleaning (depending on if it's opening or closing) to pay you much attention.

Do this enough, and you'll be able to walk into a JC Penny's, head straight for the lingerie department, grab a frilly skirted thong, buy it, and walk out without giving a single fuck :)

High spirits, smiling, proudly proclaiming myself as a devout fan of Rainbow Dash...pretty much. People and their opinions don't detract from my love of the show anymore. Anyone that tries to get to me gets Fallout: Equestria to the face. Generally.

I haven't gotten anything yet, but I am seriously considering buying some sort of plushie, or maybe a shirt. I'm not sure yet. I'm a tad nervous, mostly because my sister would try to tag along and make a big deal out of it. :P

I don't really go to Hot Topic as much anymore for pony merch, but rather the Animezing that opened up at the local mall ("mom-and-pop" owned, plus they carry a lot of stuff HT doesn't have, like Cutie Corral brand). They have an even more laid-back atmosphere than HT, and the majority of the employees are pegasisters (one of whom is an avid cosplayer). So I feel at complete ease while shopping there. 

I used to be pretty embarrassed buying pony toys, cause I thought it was stupid that I wanted them in the first place and I was usually with my mom in the store. But she thinks its cute and my brother stopped mocking me for it. And I honestly don't care anymore smile.png I've bought so many that I have completely lost all paranoia or embarrassment now. And now I'm collecting Monster Highs as well, so yeah no shame biggrin.png Besides, I'm a very young-looking girl, so I don't really get much unwanted attention anyway.

I've gotten some interesting responses from cashiers, though. One lady at TRU who must have recognized me asked me if the collection was complete yet. Another woman at Kmart went on about how cute the pony I was buying was, and told me all about how MLP has been around for more than 30 years, and her daughter collected it back then. And just this past weekend I finally bought Zecora, and the woman ringing me up talked about how cool that pony was, and that MLP was probably trying to compete against Monster High. I haven't had any actual bad experiences shopping for pony toys, actually smile.png

I know this isn't really my buying experience, but I did ring up a brony once when I was very, very briefly working at Toys R Us. He was buying one of those mini three packs and just looked so gosh-darn proud, the way he slammed them down on the counter! :'D I asked him if he was a brony, and we had a short little convo about the show. He seemed surprised I was in the know, but very willing to talk about pony. I wish I had told him that the FYE nearby had the other set that we didn't have at the time, but I assume he's found it by now tongue.png

Edited by Powderpuff
  • Brohoof 1

I have no problem with buying the toys, I don't give a crap about what the other people think of me.

But my non-brony friends do, so it's much more fun to buy pony-merch if they are around

Edited by itshawk

• 2 weeks later...

First time i bought a My Little Pony item i just lied that it was for my little sister (that i don't have) but then 2nd time i walked in there just grabbed it put it on the register and bought it

To be quite honest, I felt quite awkward when I bought the PVCs with the cards when I went to Walmart. Of course this was about four months ago.

But oddly enough, I didn't feel awkward at all when I bought the first comic. And I've never felt awkward buying the comics. But I think I'm past the point where I feel awkward. But those are my only experiences so far. I wouldn't mind getting one of the t-shirts for men, but I have no idea where you'd get them locally.

To be quite honest, I felt quite awkward when I bought the PVCs with the cards when I went to Walmart. Of course this was about four months ago.

But oddly enough, I didn't feel awkward at all when I bought the first comic. And I've never felt awkward buying the comics. But I think I'm past the point where I feel awkward. But those are my only experiences so far. I wouldn't mind getting one of the t-shirts for men, but I have no idea where you'd get them locally.

Eh, if you have any Hot Topics around where you live I'd try them. They don't have the best shirts or the widest selection, but if you're looking for a way to obtain shirts and hoodies and such without having to order them, they're the way to go.

• Brohoof 1

I feel pretty good when I do it, the first time I got something that I couldn't self checkout was a T-shirt at hot topic. They had the shirts right next to the door so the minute I grabbed one the alarm went off and everyone turned and looked at me. I just sat there and said "What? Guys can like ponies!" Then proceeded to walk up to the register, pay and feel like a boss.

• Brohoof 1

Eh, if you have any Hot Topics around where you live I'd try them. They don't have the best shirts or the widest selection, but if you're looking for a way to obtain shirts and hoodies and such without having to order them, they're the way to go.

I figured they'd be the one to have them. But thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it. I'll have to check it out some time. I'll get it when I go to get another CM Punk T shirt. This should be a fun trip lol.

• Brohoof 1

I feel...slightly awkward. But I think the cashier just assumes I'm buying toys for my little sister or something. Plus, I'm a girl, so I don't get as many weird looks as a guy might. Though if I saw a guy buying MLP stuff I'd be really happy - there don't seem to be many fans of the show in my area (or maybe they're just keeping their bronydom hidden)

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to buy some pony merch somewhere ,but I can't ask my parents for something online and I don't know where I can buy those things in a store sad.png

Well, you can always go to Target or Walmart, they have the pony toys in the toy section, or, if you live close to a Hot Topic, I know they have pony merchandise in those. But uh... that's only if you really want to. I understand if you don't want to go out in public and buy them, it was hard for me at first, although I got over that quickly and now buy pony stuff on a relatively regular basis.

Well, you can always go to Target or Walmart, they have the pony toys in the toy section, or, if you live close to a Hot Topic, I know they have pony merchandise in those. But uh... that's only if you really want to. I understand if you don't want to go out in public and buy them, it was hard for me at first, although I got over that quickly and now buy pony stuff on a relatively regular basis.

I wouldn't have a problem with buying them in public, but I don't live in america and I don't know were to buy them else ...

In my country aren't many bronies...

I wouldn't have a problem with buying them in public, but I don't live in america and I don't know were to buy them else ...

In my country aren't many bronies...

Oh crap, I didn't know you were from another country, had to check your profile to actually find that out! Well, I'm not sure where you can go in Austria to get pony merchandise, so I'm afraid I'll be no help there. Sorry about that! Sucks that you can't get stuff online...

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure pretty much all of us have experienced that awkward moment when they are out buying pony merch.and you get asked "how old is your daughter? " I was out today and was at a yard sale where I bought a fashion style rarity, pinkie pie, and a pink celestia for 5 buck! Then the woman running it is like "so how old is your little girl.?" And I was like um. I don't have one. Then she gave me a weird look and my change.

AWKWARD! And Not the first time either! I am 26 so everyone thinks I have a daughter.

• Brohoof 1

That awkward moment when you're in a crowd, and you say "Come on everypony we gotta go!" And none of your friends know where that comes from, or that you're a brony.

I've done that before, and trust me it's way more awkward.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Then again dude, it all depends on you looks also.

As for me, whenever I buy stuff like ponies, they usually don't question it reason don't question it, or say if it's for my sister. 

Edited by DXSilverX
  • Brohoof 1