Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media The very first human head transplant scheduled for 2017.

Shadow Beam

It seems like a conception that has been only object of sci-fi is close to be put to the test.

During December 2017, an ambitious procedure with the objective of transfering a human head to another body will take place for the very first time in the medical records of mankind.

This on itself is baffling, apalling even. Because in the hypothetical case of a medical success many questions may arise. Has science gone too far? How will religions react when faced to such an unbelievable event? Are we truly playing God with each step we take?

And what is truly a human individual? Are we a complete being with a body and mind, or nothing more but a encephalon that could be connected with any organism and still be considered like said individual?

Any opinions on the matter, it being the surgery on itself or what could transpire afterwards a supposed 'success'? 

Source: http://www.iflscience.com/human-head-transplant

Edited by Shadow Beam

That's quite ambitious. :blink:

I am kind of baffled, how far Science has come now. I think even in the months leading up to this event, there will be many discussions about this.

What do i think of it? I seriously don't know to be honest. Something about this just seems so unbelievable.

• Brohoof 2

Let me just go ahead and highlight the problem right here:

This on itself is baffling, apalling even. Because in the hypothetical case of a medical success many questions may arise. Has science gone too far? How will religions react when faced to such an unbelievable event? Are we truly playing God with each step we take?

Should be interesting. The practicality of the application itself is rather questionable, but that one could do it would be quite an advancement in biomedical science.

And if one actually reads the patient's case, I'm sure they would feel a little more compassionate about the subject.

Edited by Wubtavia
  • Brohoof 1

The gentleman volunteered willingly and wants to do this knowing full well of the risks, the surgeons and researchers want to do this, the world stage is the peanut gallery. I think that this is going to be interesting; I'm definitely going to keep my eyes on this and I really hope that the operation results in at least a partial success. We could learn and gain a lot from this, if not immediately, definitely in the future.

The fear of pissing off a few religions is quite honestly negligible. We shouldn't limit ourselves as a species because a certain uninvolved group or philosophy gets offended or angry. It would be one thing if the anger was based on legitimate reasons like human rights violations, but these fears are purely based on the fear of progress and knowledge.

It sounds like a way for that person to spend their last minute in suffering just for the sake of attempting this scientific Frankenstein insanity. Sounds like a bad idea for something that doesn't work longer than a day even for mice.

http://www.businessinsider.com/valery-spiridonov-head-transplant-2015-4

Has he not already spent a great deal of time suffering?