Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's going on with season 5?

ponytheorist

Okay, so I thought about this a while back, and cannot come to an answer.

Why does it seem that season 5 is quality wise, way more consistent then other seasons?

What I mean, is that in other seasons, there were always a few episodes that were REALLY awfull. Season 2 had Putting Your Hoof Down, Mare Do Well and others, season 3 was just awful (way to rushed)

season 4 had great epsiodes, but also a few that became for me the worst episodes in the show.

Season 5 seems to be really good so far. There hasn't been one episode of which I thought 'man, what horrible'

• Brohoof 4

Bad and good episodes are based on opinions.

Someone may think that season 5 is by far the worst season so far. 

I personally do not have a favorite season (yet).

I like to wait until a show has officially ended to choose a favorite season.

• Brohoof 3

Well, there have been two episodes this season that met with low reviews, and a few that have a not insignificant number who believed them to be average. Even ones that have a majority praising it (like Tanks for the Memories and Slice of Life), have a very vocal group criticizing elements. Only two stories seem to have near universal praise. Cutie Map and Amending Fences.

On the whole, I consider this season to be a slight improvement over last season (which I adore) and I suspect the writers and show runners are just interested in trying new things. I wouldn't be shocked if Season 5 ends up being a favorite of many.

• Brohoof 12

Huh, I wish the CMC being Forever Blank Flanks in fanfics were canon as well as Talking Vinyl & some references from the IDW MLP series such as the CMC & Discord being friends or something like that.

• Brohoof 1

Well, given that this season has practically gone down the list of things fans have been wanting and checking them off one by one, I'd say it has been a pretty great season so far. The episodes have also been pretty good for the most part IMHO. Appleoosa's Most Wanted is just ok for me, and Princess Spike is on par with most other Spike episodes but I think most episodes have ranged from good to great so far. I'm not sure if I would call it my favourite season yet but I'll reserve my judgement for when the season ends.

• Brohoof 4

What I mean, is that in other seasons, there were always a few episodes that were REALLY awfull. Season 2 had Putting Your Hoof Down

Completely disagree.

Mare Do Well

Completely disagree.

season 3 was just awful (way to rushed)

Completely disagree.

Season 5 seems to be really good so far. There hasn't been one episode of which I thought 'man, what horrible'

Princess Spike.

• Brohoof 4

Eh, to me this has actually been pretty on-par with the previous ones. The good episodes ultimately outweigh the bad and the average. 

The Good: 

Canterlot Boutique 

Amending Fences 

Slice of Life

The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone

Castle Sweet Castle 

The Cutie Map 

The Average: 

Bloom and Gloom

Party Pooped 

Make New Friends but Keep Discord

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep? 

The Crap: 

Tanks for the Memories

Appleoosa's Most Wanted

Princess Spike  

• Brohoof 1

Now you see, I disagree because the only episode in the entire series that I have thought was actually bad was 'Slice of Life'. And I feel that Season 5 in episodes Slice of Life and Princess Spike and before was a very weak season and it was honestly making me feel like the magic had officially been lost.

Thankfully the episodes past the Princess Spike episode have all been strong.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 3

Princess Spike.

I think season 5 episodes are quality wise overall better than the earlier seasons and it makes me happy seeing that though the setbacks like Princess Spike make me sad and I dont really want to count them as episodes at all

• Brohoof 2

Season 5 does seem to be better than the other seasons to me. At first I thought that might be because I only got into the show a little while after season 4 ended and this is my first time seeing epiodes brand new. Looking into it more though, I have to say that I definitely find this season to be my favourite. The only episode I really didn't like was Appleoosa's Most Wanted.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know .. Sometimes I have the sensation that the fifth season seems to have something different than the other, but maybe it's just a feeling that gave me episodes as "slice of life" characters such Starlight Glimmer, the apparent reconciliation of Gilda and now the new boutique of Rarity. It is a season that is making me feel a certain evolution of the characters.

Honestly I find season 5 it be the most inconsistent season of them all, tonally speaking. I mean most of the episodes are good, a few average/mediocre and one that shall not be mentions but there all have different tones from one another. Make New Friends plays up the comedy, Amending Fences lays down the drama, The Cutie Map is a creepy atmosphere and so on.  Compare that with Season 2, which was more straight slice of life, and you see what I'm getting at. Not to say it's bad but it's the reason why this season probably won't bump off Season 2 as my favorite by a long shot. 

I think it's like others already mentioned, it's all a matter of opinions.

While i think that The Cutie Map has been the best episode in the shows history, some people might be put off by the dark themes.

Some people consider Slice of Life the worst episode in the shows history, because it was cheap pandering. I thought it was a nice "thank you fandom" episode.

In my opinion, this season has been good so far. The only two Episodes i really didn't liked, where Appleloosas most wanted and Princess Spike (Do princesses dream of magic sheep? Is also dangerously close.)

Is it better then my 2 favorite seasons 2 and 4? That has to be seen. For all we know, the next 3 episodes could be the worst of the show.

While I do agree that season 5 is a good season, seeing how it is only halfway through it is a little too early to say if it is the best season yet.  

Although season 4 is still my favorite season as of now, only time can tell.

I'm liking season 5 a lot so far. For a while my opinion was that season 5 wasn't as good as season 4. But really what I figured out is that I was thinking on the season in the wrong way. All the seasons of MLP are unique in their own way and comparing to each other season just doesn't work. Now I show explain what I mean:

Season 1:

This season was the introduction to the show and characters as well as the world of FiM. The world that was presented in season 1 seemed harmless and appeared to have perfect harmony. A group of happy friends in a perfect world. Things were easy,and sometimes a bit ruff but in the end all of it worked out for the good. It had a everything will work out in the end positive additude that made you feel like nothing would go wrong. No real evil in the world, unless you count luna becoming jealous as evil but really she learned from her mistake and turned good again. So yeah, nothing too dramatic. No one purposefully evil and causing chaos existed. It gave a happy vibe that no one show has. 

Season 2: 

I have heard people refer to season 2 as "The dark days of season 2" being a little over dramatic but I think they are quite spot on. Season 2 introduced a new element to the world. It showed that not everything is perfect and even evil does exist in the magical land of equestria which was seemingly positive and perfect. Those vibes really seem to be dulled a bit in the season 2 opener as they introduce discord. "disharmony" came back from his stone imprisonment and reeked chaos throughout the perfect land. So it felt as if the story of FiM just took a dark turn because your previous ideas of a perfect world were destroyed. Not to say that the everything will work out in the end vibe was gone. It just really evolved into the new aspect the show has which is no longer that their isn't really any evil, but that the magic of friendship will always win. So this season introduced a new element to FiM that allows for amazing stories today and interesting characters we see that are evil.

Season 3:

Season 3 added a lot to the characters of the show. In sleepless in ponyville we first see scootaloo and rainbow dash become "sisters" and we see their relationship introduced. We had seen hints before this episode but had nothing full to comment on. We also were introduced to princess twilight, she got her wings. She then become a princess, no longer a study of celestia. Which changed a lot for the shows future. Some people think good, some bad. We also got to learn more about trixie which was a plus. You see a lot of character development in this season which is why i like it.

Season 4:

Season 4 fully developed princess twilight and what she is meant to do as a princess. Their is a whole over arking story theme throughout the season that leads up to the finally. While others would say season 5 is the season of continuity, I would have to say this season is for that. She their are subtle references to previous episode this season but I have to say season 4 ties all the episodes together and brings them to one story leading up to the opening of the box. This season fully establishes what twilight will be doing now that she is a princess. Because after all twilight's job before becoming a princess was to send celestia letters on what she has learned about the magic of friendship. Now thats gone she needed a new assignment and as we learn at the end of season 4, it is to spread the magic of friendship throughout all the land. Dubbing her the princess of friendship.

Season 5:

Since the season isn't over I won't really comment too much on season 5. Only really stating that this season has quite a differen't feel writing wise as it does to the previous season. You will notice an a lot more emotional episodes compared to the last seasons. Many commented this as the show becoming more mature. If you think of season 5 as the same way you thought of the previous seasons, you might think its a big weird taking a different route. But really all the seasons have different ideas and introductions, so really, if you compare season 4 to season 1 you will see a drastic difference. So its just a matter of perception really on whether you think its bad or better. If you think of it the same way you thought of season 2, their might be some disappointment. While it does have elements from season 4 the season is completely differen't from the other ones as it always is. So to conclude I'm sure season 5 will be as good as the rest but not commenting directly on my opinion of it until its over.

• Brohoof 1

I seem to have what Parkinson called "negative infallibility".  If I like it, most folks don't. IMO the best episodes have been Do Princesses Dream ..., Slice of Life (ending was weak though) & Bloom & Gloom.  Still, there haven't been any really lame episodes -yet.

• Brohoof 1

It's all a matter of opinion, but I agree that so far, season five is churning out some very wonderful episodes. I feel the writers are taking more risks and the show is maturing because of it. The only episode I've hated until now is Princess Spike, but I'm hoping another Spike episode will reveal itself and be decent, maybe even really good. If that happens, I'll be happy for weeks.  :)

Episodes  4 seasons and a half of season 5 which i found Average and below :

Season 1: Show Stopper, Bird, Over a Barrel, Call of Cutie, Owl. >_>

Season 2: Mare Do Well, Cutie Pox. :blink:

Season 3: NONE. :pinkie:

Season 4: Rainbow Fall, Daring Dont, Somepony to Watch over me. :okiedokielokie:

Season 5: Princess Spike, Apploosa Most wanted, Rarity's Boutique. :please:

Season 5 cant have a chance to surpass last 4 seasons if they keep making some bad episode like Princess Spike/Apploosa Most Wanted. Hope the rest of Season 5 will impress me.  :ph34r: