Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

before you were a brony, what did you think of people wearing pony merch

alpinefroggy

What was your thought when you saw someone wearing pony Merch in public? Personally I saw a few bronies before I was one, a specific guy who always wore a black hoodie with a vibrant pink pinkie pie. I never cared about it really but I thought it was pretty cool actually.

• Brohoof 1

I actually never encountered anyone with MLP merchandise prior to me becoming a fan of the show. Hell, I didn't even know that bronies existed until well after I became a fan.

• Brohoof 1

TLdr; I thought it was creepy and awkward

---

There was a guy at my school who was a brony. He was friendly and all, but he always tried to talk about ponies whenever I saw him, and I thought he was really creepy and awkward. I didn't want to watch the show because I didn't want to be like him. I watched an episode out of curiosity and consciously didn't allow myself to like it because I didn't want to be one of those kids.

Then a few years later a friend of mine I found out was really into ponies and I thought I would "support" him and hang out and watch some episodes. I warmed up to it and slowly became a fan and even made an OC. Now, I'm probably more into it than he is, I even own like four shirts. lol

Edited by Melon Blitz

I've never actually seen anyone wear pony merch (except maybe this one high school friend), but I used to think bronies existed solely so they could be "different", regardless of whether the show was actually good.

While the plots are rather simple (obviously not like Doctor Who or GoT, or even Gravity Falls), I can see how teens and adults can like it, especially the characters and the fandom, and I think that's what I appreciate most about the show.

Edited by PGNatsu

Actually, I knew about this fandom long before I joined, I found the first Brony by a handy app, it was a I think twenty year old man, who had a cute pink smiling cartoon pony as profil picture. I thougt it was weird, but also kind of cool, and I also saw one reading a MlP magazin from the supermarket at my school.

Even thought, I liked them, I never really wanted to join this fandom, but then I watched an episode, and it was completly different from what I expected, first I thought it was something about girls riding ponys on a farm. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I remember there was a brony who was friends with my older brother (way back in 2010) and I always remember him talking about Rainbow Dash in particular. I just found it really funny how he'd buy the toys. I thought it was a little strange, but not really strange. Then my brother started watching it and then by 2012, I was hooked as well...

I never actually saw anyone with any merch (and still haven't because I don't even have any) but being the incarnation of hatred and wrath that I am (much less so now because there isn't really anything to fuel it anymore) I probably would have given them hell.

Edited by SpikusFyre

I have never bore witness to such an occasion. I wear pony shirts every now and then myself, but I never knew about Bronies until 2012. And I was a stupid little kid back then, so I gave a lot of people hate for watching the show. I'm sure if I had seen anyone wearing pony merch, I would've been a douche to them.

There wasn't much of a gap between me first seeing G4 and getting into it, and even then I saw them only a handful of times in pictures added to Livejournal posts. I never even saw anyone wearing an MLP shirt in public until I went to a brony meetup. I didn't really have any kind of negative feelings towards the fandom until being around it for two or three years.

I saw one person wearing a 20% Cooler shirt with a picture of Rainbow Dash on it before I was even aware of the show. I had never heard of bronies and I didn't even know that there was a G4 yet. Since the pony on his shirt looked nothing like the style of My Little Pony I was familiar with, I didn't think it had anything to do with MLP. Since RD is a rainbow pony, I just thought it was a gay pride shirt but I wondered what the "20% Cooler" was all about. A few months later I heard about FIM via a call for voice actors who could mimic characters from the show for a fan video. I was looking up clips of Rainbow Dash and I stumbled upon the 20% Cooler clip. My friend who was with me said "Isn't this what was on that guy's shirt at the gas station a few months ago?" That was when it all clicked into place.

Honestly, I didn't know much about bronies until I started watching the show. I have only ever seen someone wearing small things like a Rainbow Dash tail and a pony-related decorations on bags and computers, but only in the past year or so. 

Edited by Quartz Aegis
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly I thought it was interesting. I'm a people watcher so I didn't really react to it, I watched other people react. There was one time in a mall a woman guided her children away from someone wearing pony merch but I don't think he noticed. There was another time where I gave someone take out through the take-out window at a pizza place I worked at and I wanted to say nice shirt but I never did. 

I first learned about the fandom when I met a brony in 2012, but I didn't even see any sign of the fandom after that until I became a brony in 2014. The idea of bronies was weird to me, but I didn't think much about it. The only brony merch I've ever seen in public were a few pony stickers on a car I saw about a month ago. I'm thinking this might be because I'm homeschooled and I'm not out in public places as much as other people are, so maybe I'll see more pony merch when I'm in university.

• Brohoof 1