S05:E15 - Rarity Investigates  

206 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • THAT WAS AWESOME!

Wow! I was a little weirded out that after the hiatus they did TWO Rarity-centric episodes in a row. But it was still really good, and I loved Rainbow's ridiculous dancing! :D

I honestly love this noir style episode, Rarity's attention to detail, an effective mystery story regardless of a predictable culprit (sometimes the adventure is better than the outcome), Rarity and Rainbow Dash's interactions, and developing the wonderbolt's a bit with Wind Wider being the prized champion rider that is now disgraced. 

I really believe this to have a chance to not only be the season's best episode, but even one of the show's greatest episodes ever.

• Brohoof 3

I rather enjoyed this episode.

For starters it was nice to finally have an episode focusing on both Rainbow Dash and Rarity which is a pair we haven't seen coming.

Plus I really enjoyed when the animation and episode switched to a film noir style.  That was definitely the episode's highlight.

Plus Rarity was pretty amusing in this episode as well.

Since Season 1, I always thought "Sonic Rainboom" was THE episode that focused on Rainbow Dash and Rarity. After all, Rainbow Dash had to compete in a flyer's competition and Rarity ended up going on an ego-trip when she got those butterfly wings. But this episode, "Rarity Investigates" completely knocks Sonic Rainboom" off its spot of "Rarity and Rainbow Dash" of my "List of Episodes focusing on 2 characters" topic I've made over a year ago. I need to update that!

Funny thing, I actually thought about how MLP should totally do a noire episode awhile back. Yeah, it's be like Chinatown, but, y'know, Ponyville, and Spike would be Jake Nicholson and Rarity would be Faye Dunaway. And that's totally be a part where he gets bonked on the nose and he has a bandage over it, just like in the movie.

But then I realized that would imply some very dark things about Rarity and Sweetie Belle, so I dropped it.

• Brohoof 3

Well, here are my first thoughts about this episode.

I thought that the episode was great and here's why:

Firstly, I really like how they induced an old cinematic black and white ambiance, it added well to the investigation part of the ep.

Humour stood out, and pace was good in my books.

I also liked how they show a new side to Rarity's caracter, and they kinda executed well I think.

About the real criminal, I did not saw it coming, but that was because I was not paying too much attention to the progression early in the episode, but IRC that one clue with the scarf was really enough to predict easily that Wind Rider is the criminal.

One thing that I did not like was the Wonderbolts early on with their "jump to conclusion" attitude towards Dash, but at least they were not like that in the entire episode and let Rarity do her job as the investigator.

TL;DR Great episode with great ambiance and humour! Despite the Wonderbolts attitude towards R.D.

Rating: Between 8.5/10 and 9/10

Edited by Cosmic V0rtex

Well it finally happened. The berret wearing beatnik version of Rarity and Rarity in dress making mode was just beat out by Noir Rarity!

I actually think I had more fun watching this one than I had with many of the other Rarity episodes. Rainbow was also in top form several times, and that sunscreen scene was adorable!

• Brohoof 8

Thanks to these episodes, I'm starting to like Rarity alot more know.

(Though I wish there were some Phoenix Wright references in this episode xD)

I was hoping for a Phoenix Wright Pony or someone saying Objection...I am a tad disappointed, but I still enjoyed the episode and even though the culprit was obvious, it didn't affect my enjoyment. Rarity is actually a good detective.

Haha, I can tell that DHX had a lot of fun putting this together, the film noir bits really helped make this episode stand out. Other than that it was okay, not much I can say about it.

I do like how they brought in Spitfire's mother of all ponies, I hope we see her again.

• Brohoof 1

Mystery was kinda predictable, Wonderbolts were sort of jerks, assuming Dash was guilty until proven innocent, instead of the other way around. I know she had a good motive and all, but that's not enough to just say she's guilty.

Other than that, this is probably one of the most charming episodes so far this season. Both Rarity and Rainbow felt really in character and were both pretty amusing, not to mention finally getting to see them interact more often in the show. The black and white and smooth jazz gave the episode a pretty unique atmosphere, at least for the show, and I loved seeing all of Rarity's new outfit's. Rainbow making progress in her career, just like Rarity did last episode is great to see too.

Also, nice to see that Sassy Saddles just didn't cease to exist the second the last episode ended.

As obnoxious as she's been in other episodes I think it actually made sense for them to accuse her. But it was nice to see her act more likeable than usual in this episode. This was one of her more likeable appearances. I'm glad she actually apologized for something for once.

Edited by Asbel Lhant
  • Brohoof 1

A good episode for both Rarity and Rainbow Dash! Very well paced and well written episode. Lots of silly moments too like Rarity always switching outfits and sometimes saying her inner noir thoughts out loud... silly Rarity is silly. And the black and white noir scenes in general, absolutely killer stuff. :please:

One might be concerned about one thing in this episode though- Rarity's use of her feminine wiles. Yeah, I know that some don't like when Rarity does stuff like that, but I think it was fine here. Nopony minds a compliment! ;)

I think another minor problem is one of the Wonderbolt ponies looked a little too much like Spitfire when she wasn't supposed to be there, and now that I think about it the culprit was way too obvious... but eh, it's a kid's show, they're gonna overlook stuff like that sometimes. :P

Overall, a very entertaining episode. The ultimate Rarity Noire! :D

9/10

• Brohoof 2

As obnoxious as she's been in other episodes I think it actually made sense for them to accuse her. But it was nice to see her act more likeable than usual in this episode. This was one her more likeable appearances. I'm glad she actually apologized for something for once.

I've never found Rainbow particularly obnoxious, so I'd disagree there. Even then, after "Wonderbolts Academy", I'd think they'd have gained a bit more trust and respect for her. Even if you find her obnoxious, which I won't argue since that's your opinion, she showed them she's got some good morals. Yeah, there was "Rainbow Falls" but Spitfire bucked up in that episode a lot more than Dash did.

Not to mention, somebody being obnoxious isn't reason enough to try and punish someone for a crime that you're not sure they committed. Even if they didn't like Dash, they threatened her with punishment, acting as if she was already proven guilty. All they really had was a motive for her, but no evidence yet, but they were already acting as if they knew she was a criminal.

• Brohoof 3

I just remembered: I saw no less than three different Soarins during the banquet. I know they needed to fill space and had limited Wonderbolt models, but still...

New headcanon: Soarin is a triplet! And all three of them are Wonderbolts!

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

I've said before in a topic about Ace Attorney? that if the Mane 6 were in an Ace Attorney, each Mane 6 would her own special ability. I'd said for Rarity is this

Rarity: Charming

With her charms, she could get some witnesses to talk to her thanks to powers of persuasion. 

And that's just what happened.  ;)

• Brohoof 1

I've said before in a topic about Ace Attorney? that if the Mane 6 were in an Ace Attorney, each Mane 6 would her own special ability. I'd said for Rarity is this

Rarity: Charming

With her charms, she could get some witnesses to talk to her thanks to powers of persuasion.

And that's just what happened. ;)

That's what she does in My Little Investigations. Edited by KeybladePony

Ok now.....THAT WAS AMAZING!!! Now see...being a Rarity episode I was quite upset, because we waited months for part 2 of season 5 and we got a Rarity episode, and here we are again with another Rarity episode...BUT WAIT...IS THAT DASHIE?!? That was kinda my exact thoughts...I ABSOLUTELY LOVED Rainbow dash in this episode, mainly because she seemed to show off a few physical emotions you don't ussually see from here...hard to explain but...meh...its 2:24AM here in Australia so I have an excuse for not making any sense...let's just say...Dashie/Rarity was way better than I thought it would be. I'm tired...wish I didn't have to stay up till 1:30AM everytime there is a new episode airing :P

Amazing episode as always!

Quick thoughts:

1. We got to see Sassy Saddles and Rarity's new Boutique only 1 episode later!

2. We got to see Canterlot for the 5th time this season. Canterlot is my favorite area of Equestria, so I can't complain

3. This is also our 5th time seeing Princess Celestia this season.

4. Rainbow is the only reserve who was picked to fly with them! Rainbow is even closer to becoming a Wonderbolt now!

5. The entire Noire theme of the episode was fantastic! Especially when they interrogated the Guards!

6. Spitfire's Mom? That's pretty surreal.

7. Having the culprit be the new character was a bit predictable, but overrall, Rarity's detective work was 10/10 here.

Edited by Princess Book Horse
  • Brohoof 3

That was a fun episode! I loved how they started with a bit of continuity from the last episode right from the start.

I will say, Rarity was just fantastic in this episodes and this is the most I enjoyed her character so far both from her internal monologue playing the detective and her interaction with Rainbow. Heck, I actually enjoyed this more than MMMMystery on the Friendship Express.

I think it's obvious that anyone could see the ending coming from the mile away. It's not a huge hindrance to the episode though.

One last thing, I also enjoyed Rainbow's character development in this episode. It's obvious she's basically a Wonderbolt now and just needs the official title. I'm hoping she'll get it soon.

• Brohoof 3

I was hoping for a Phoenix Wright Pony or someone saying Objection...I am a tad disappointed, but I still enjoyed the episode and even though the culprit was obvious, it didn't affect my enjoyment. Rarity is actually a good detective.

Yeah that would've been cool... but the episode was more of a noir homage than anything else. Rarity is best detective! :D

Some kind of Cornered theme would've been rad tho

• Brohoof 1

Okay, that was really fun!
++ Adorable Dashie!
++ Adorable Rarity!
+ All that jazz was a nice touch!
- Kinda predictable
Honestly, I don't have much to say about this one. I was having too much fun watching best ponies be best poWAITAMINUTE!!! If dicking over a wonderbolt gets you kicked out, then shouldn't Spitfire and Fleetfoot be out already? That doesn't make anyNO, just don't think about it, Glaive...just...don't think.

Overall, I give this episode a Lastminutefridgelogic/10!

• Brohoof 5

Also I am REAAAALLY loving these new lighting effects theyre putting into the show!

You're not the only one!  :wub:

Alright then. I have to concur that this episode was quite splendid. Really now. *polishes monocle* Lady Rarity was at her finest, I must say. Rainbow Dash as well, I should add. I was absolutely taken by Lady Rarity's ensembles. Her coiffure, at various points, was simply magnificent.  :pout:

Edited by BlackWater627
  • Brohoof 3