S05:E15 - Rarity Investigates  

206 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • THAT WAS AWESOME!

Yes. While I was watching this, part of me was wishing Rarity would have a song in this episode in the style of Elle Fitzgerald.

Now that's classic. It would have been awesome indeed. Maybe we could get in Big Mac for some Louis Armstrong too. "I see unicorns of green, red pegasi too..."  :D

• Brohoof 2

As for the story, to those who say. "Well duh! I saw who did it coming from a mile away." I ask you to remember who this show is written for. Yes the ending and the culprit was predictable and yes it was a missed opportunity to bring back Lightning Dust, but we have to remember this is a kids show, so we shouldn't really expect Ace Attorney level stuff here.

This is a very pessimistic attitude to have towards family programming. Just because the base demographic is kids doesn't mean you should dumb down content. Kids can think; spilling things out just so they can get it implies kids are too stupid to learn or think. Remember, this show has the ability to push content beyond the base demographic, and we saw that several times this season, including Canterlot Boutique.

Also, FIM is a family show, not a "kids' show."

I think Jim Miller sums up my feelings with the episode perfectly: https://derpiboo.ru/983103

While he makes the point in concept, if the outcome can be seen from very early, it makes the journey within an episode feel wasted.

• Brohoof 1

That would be silly if that alone sparks hate. I mean, Rainbow in the rain is supposed to highlight her growing frustration with the situation. It was a well composed shot. Also, I have a strong feeling the ducks are a nod to something, but I am struggling to put my finger on what exactly

sig-4098221.983087__safe_rainbow%20dash_

Could simply be for the comedic juxtaposition of a duck falling over in the gloomy atmosphere being narrated.

*Didn't actually know who the culprit was*

...Yeah. D:

So it was a completely enjoyable episode for me. I don't think the ending having been so obvious (geez, I'm really dense... >.< Can I just drop off of the face of the planet now? T.T) would have ruined the episode for me, though. It was enjoyable for so many other reasons.

Edited by Envy

This is a very pessimistic attitude to have towards family programming. Just because the base demographic is kids doesn't mean you should dumb down content. Kids can think; spilling things out just so they can get it implies kids are too stupid to learn or think. Remember, this show has the ability to push content beyond the base demographic, and we saw that several times this season, including Canterlot Boutique.

Also, FIM is a family show, not a "kids' show."

While he makes the point in concept, if the outcome can be seen from very early, it makes the journey within an episode feel wasted.

I personally disagree, I though it was fun to see Rarity using her detective skills to find the culprit. Plus, the switching between monochrome and color was a nice thing to have in the episode.

I personally disagree, I though it was fun to see Rarity using her detective skills to find the culprit. Plus, the switching between monochrome and color was a nice thing to have in the episode.

I haven't seen this episode yet, so I'm not critiquing this one here. I'm more or less talking about episodes in general.

Sidral's Journal: September 19, 2015

Wind Rider: Really Wind Rider Really? I get you want to protect your record but there are so many other way and why would you just confess at the end?

This is why it felt like a Scooby Doo ending to me. I suppose he was pretty much caught red-hoofed at that point, but if he had any smarts he would have gone back to his hotel room and washed the scarf as soon as Rarity told everypony she was going to prove RD innocent in the middle of the episode. Or even simply ditched it instead of wearing the evidence back to the party.

Yep. It's Spike. Rarity just doesn't know it. He's making a killing:icwudt:

That would be funny! Though I have to admit the pressure to know there are other decent dragons in the MLP universe besides Spike draws me more to want that instead of Spike having riches beyond his wildest dreams. If it's other dragons who are experts at gem cutting, that one scene is a pretty big bucking deal (to borrow a phrase  :) ) - up until that point, every dragon we've heard of or seen besides Spike is either a jerk or a monster. So it makes me happy to learn there is an apparent cottage industry of professional dragon gemcutters.

Wind Rider didn't have to trouble himself with sending Spitfire away, since every spot on the Wonderbolt's flying team was occupied.

I think that's a fair point. But those who are so scared of losing their status or position hardly stick to calm and reason. Especially so since he had an inner moral of using dirty tricks anyways.  :sunbutt:

He actually had a very good reason to frame her - he didn't just want her gone for this airshow, he wanted her gone permanently - so there'd be absolutely no chance of her ever beating his record again. Getting her permabanned from the Wonderbolts was pretty much the only way to do this.

Edited by Truffles

I don't remember seeing a Rarity / Rainbow Dash focused episode before.  Was this the first?

To quote an eariler post of mine:

Since Season 1, I always thought "Sonic Rainboom" was THE episode that focused on Rainbow Dash and Rarity. After all, Rainbow Dash had to compete in a flyer's competition and Rarity ended up going on an ego-trip when she got those butterfly wings. But this episode, "Rarity Investigates" completely knocks Sonic Rainboom" off its spot of "Rarity and Rainbow Dash" of my "List of Episodes focusing on 2 characters" topic I've made over a year ago. I need to update that!

So, I would argue that this isn't the first Rarity/ Rainbow Dash episode, but it has much better focus on the two of them being the plot's spotlight than the one from Season 1.

2 rarity episodes in a row? Wow. I'm speechless. Because it's so good. Hasbro should get an award for this. U know what? This episode is awesome! What's my rating? 10/10. Or wait, this is another rarity episode. So, I'm gonna say it's GORGEOUS! I love it! I'm going to say 100 points of beauty. Yep. Rarity is my 2nd best pony now. Sorry pinkie pie.

I really, really liked this one! Nice to see Rarity's attention to detail coming in handy and I loved all her new costumes (especially the one with the ponytail! Looked super cool!) I liked when she narrated out loud, too, especially at the end with Spitfire's mom.

As for the Wonderbolts, they really seem less and less likable every time they appear. Really, Spitfire, that's NOT how Wonderbolts treat each other? What about in "Wonderbolt Academy" and "Rainbow Falls," then? I'm surprised Rainbow Dash wants anything to do with them anymore. She is too good for them, morally speaking.

Wind Rider being the culprit was pretty obvious, but didn't hurt the episode, IMO. Although, I do wonder why the cake shop lady thought he was a mare...

• Brohoof 2

Sassy has returned in the episode from last week's episode well only at the beginning of it. Two Rarity episodes in a row from "Canterlot Boutique" episode, and Rainbow Dash is together with the Wonderbolts whilst Spitfire feels much better again! :D

The end credits has updated with a new jazz soundtrack. :)

Edited by Allen

Really liked that small detail they added when they showed that trumpet pony with the harmon mute. They knew exactly what they were doing. Really like that jazz.

I was also secretly hoping that Spitfire left on purpose to ensure Rainbow got a spot, but no such luck.

Remember, real heroes are never as polished as the legends that surround them. ~ Big Boss

Edited by IcefireInfinite

That was an absolute beauty of an episode, and of course it was excellent seeing Rarity & Dashie together as the central characters. I was really impressed with out cool under pressure Rarity was through the whole thing; it really shows how she has grown.

And the references to old cinema like that...beautiful. <3

• Brohoof 1

So, one of the greatest Wonderbolt legends of all time as well as Spitfire herself thinks RD may be good enough to break records and do things nopony else has done. And yet simultaneously, she isn't good enough to be on the main team :\

Not even nitpicking. This is entirely the sort of logic (or lack thereof) that I've come to expect from the organization :lol:

----

Welp, I've waited five seasons for an episode like this and it was most certainly worth the wait. While I might've expected otherwise, it was also nice to have Rares and Dashie not at one another's throats and bickering the entire episode. They deserve their own dynamic, and not a rehash of Rarity and AJ's. They're different girls who do things different ways but they both coo' with that.

The atmosphere was the main selling point of the episode, and it came through :). Amazing all around, and I believe with a reference to that old Avengers TV show I've seen an episode of :D.

As for the characters, no complaints. The episode did a great job of highlighting Rarity's intelligence and style. Rainbow didn't have much to do in comparison, but they did make it a point to show off her good character and how much she's grown ("Stop being so modest, Rainbow Dash ;) " ) while being a nice counterpoint to Rares. And she was very adorbs all throughout :)

And of course, after Rainbow Falls, it is positively hilarious to see the Wonderbolts questioning Dash's integrity. I mean puh-lease.

• Brohoof 3

I really liked this episode. It was interesting to have Rarity and Rainbow in an episode together because they never have a center focused episode with these two. It was great to see the Wonderbolts again and Wind Rider was a pretty cool character as well. The many outfits that Rarity wore throughout the episode were really cool, and it was pretty funny how she changed into different outfits very quickly. The animation was really well done and I found the black and white tone for the scenes looked awesome. The moments when Rarity was being a detective reminded me of a Sherlock Holmes type of feeling in my opinion. I also wonder if Shadow Spade will be like what they did for Daring Do in a later season. I also really liked the jazz music type of them for the end credits. It fit with the episode and it felt a nice change of pace with the usual end credit theme. All in all this episode was pretty amazing and I would have to say this is my favorite Rarity episode so far.  :rarity:

Edited by Kyubiki Tenchu
  • Brohoof 1