Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you a leader or a follower?

WarpSpeed

If so why?

For me I choose to be a leader because its not because "I get to make the big descisions!" Its about responsibility and leading your team/group/etc. to success. I have done this many times on many videogames and in real life sports, that a few other people consider me to be a leader.

• Brohoof 4

I am both. I am ready to step in as a leader if others are having a hard time. I step in to help and organize things. I am also a follower as I recognize that others would probably be more capable as a leader, rather than me.

Neither X3

I tend to be more of a "lone wolf" sort of person. Not that I don't have friends or anything, it's just that I work best alone... or in very small groups. I don't want to rely on others, and I bloody well don't want others relying on me (If anybody gets that reference, props to you)...

I don't really like following orders, but at the same time, I don't want others constantly picking apart everything I do and criticizing any leadership decisions I'd make. Not to mention, when I need to rely on myself to either issue or follow through with an order, I'll always be there, not so much for other people. Sure I get lonely sometimes, but I have a small but close group of friends I go to for when that happens, and I'm not above helping others by any means or even leading others if they need it, but I just feel uncomfortable in either role, so I tend to only rely on myself for my problems.

Edited by Hocus Pocus
  • Brohoof 2

Follower.

I would not want to see a situation if I was the one making the decisions. There are aspects about myself though that people have all told me I have that seem to spell out a very good follower.

-Loyalty

-Honor

-Humility

-Respect

Just because I would describe myself as submissive though, doesn't mean I have no limits and no will of my own, just that I recognize a leader when I see one and would defend him/her should it ever come to that. My first/last girlfriend, for example is very much a leader. Her friends all look to her and depend on her for direction and advice.

Part of the reason our relationship worked for as long as it did was that I didn't ask anything of her. Oh yeah, I would ask her for advice, but I wasn't the emotional dependent she was used to. She also said she appreciated how willing I was to assist her in difficult matters, that I could be called upon as reliably as I was. She called me her knight in shining armor and she didn't mean it as an ironic insult but a sincere description of how she viewed me.

This extends to my teachers and self-adopted mentors as well. Several have learned that a quick way to earn my ire and bring about a much fiercer side of me than I usually present is to smack talk about authority figures, particularly ones that I know and respect.

It's funny because I was sort of pondering what's my "spirit animal." The creature that best embodies who I am and now I'm sort of starting to think it's a dog. For many reasons not relevant to this subject, but what's one prominent aspect about dogs? How incredibly loyal they are.

EDIT:

One thing I find ironic is how quick everyone is to say they are neither or are both and I'm at least the first to say quite plainly that I am a follower and explain why in detail. (Not that the rest are lying or wrong.) Just reminds me of . . .

(0:32)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QereR0CViMY

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

I don't really think I qualify as either a leader or a follower because of how I see the world. Perhaps it would be better if I explained based on the specific roles.

On the leading side of thing I possess no good qualities of a leader. I am not responsible in the slightest and I don't really take anything too seriously. I also absolutely loathe people relying on me. It just seems like to me that when you are a leader people watch you like a hawk criticizing everything you do waiting for you to slip up enough for them to take the helm of the group and lead it in the direction they want to go. I just feel like betrayal is inevitable in every group and that everyone is flawed and selfish to a degree. Some more than others.

On the other side of the coin there is following. I'll just get this out of the way now but I can't stand following orders however that alone isn't why I'm not a follower. My problem with being a follower is that I value the individual more than the group. It just feels like that when someone joins a group and starts blindly doing what they are told that they lose what made them different. This is actually the reason that the season 5 premiere messes with my head but that's not important.

Another reason that I don't make either a good leader or a good follower is because I'm reckless. I tend to go into things without thinking about how to best approach them. I'm prone to follow impulse rather than logic or reason which is actually a contrast to how my thought process functions. I am in a constant back and forth state of flux between thinking too much and not thinking enough. This is a terrible trait for either a leader or a follower to have. It's probably a terrible trait for anyone to have but I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.

That being said I see myself as more of a self reliant "lone wolf". Not because of my lack of ability be a good leader or a good follower. But because I value the individual. Back around November of last year one of my friends decided to get more greedy and that all of us should follow him without question and that we should automatically agree with every single one of his opinions. I was the only one to refuse. Everyone gave me hell 24/7 saying that my inability to conform was the reason that there was so much conflict within the group. But I held my ground. Partially because I'm stubborn yes but also because of the value I place upon the individual. Long story short I got kicked out of the group after the biggest fight we ever had and was basically banished to isolation indefinitely. This is actually why I started watching ponies after about 2 months of isolation but that's irrelevant to this. Eventually they saw that their blind conformity with that guy who himself claimed to enjoy greed was the problem and no me and basically abandoned him. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't feel like there should really be leaders or followers and that people place way to much faith in others when it could possibly only lead to horrible things.

But then again what do I know. I'm just a crazy pessimist that woke up at 5 AM and am answering a thread on a forum about ponies about whether they consider themselves a leader or a follower.

Side Note of Unrelatedness: This is actually the largest post I have ever made on these forums.

It depends. I'm content to follow when the issue/problem/project at hand is either something I don't care about or something dangerous enough that I'm not ready to take the risks necessary. I'm not afraid of danger or death, but what does frighten me is living a ruined life. 

I frequently take the lead when it's something I care about and the risk/benefit ratio checks out.

I'm a leader in things that don't matter that much. Like deciding where to hang out or something fun like that. But in more serious situations I'm terrified of making mistakes, and if I'm a supervisor or something, then my mistakes have big consequences and an audience. Just not confident enough for it.

Follower. It's not that I would be unable to lead—I have led to good effect—but rather I find it far easier to let someone else make all the decisions. So, my reason is rather a simple one I suppose, compared to the few essays here.

Of course, I would ideally be neither, but meh.

Edited by Wubtavia

I'm a follower because I don't like all the responsibility that comes with leadership skills. In the workplace I like to be told what to do and in my relationship I like to have my partner be my dominant. In groups with friends usually everyone makes the plans to go certain places and I go along with it. 

Leader, all the way. Self Proclaimed, Self founded and elected. Now that's physically... I am independent and always look out for others and perform for their benefit. I can manage my own life and I've been told i manage others... quite well with some tough love. I'm a natural born leader... could go on for nine pragraphs but I won't. I'm just blessed God has given me the ability to lead : 3

Edited by Tacoma
  • Brohoof 1

It really depends for me on who else is in the group.

If it's me and a few (3,4,5) friends, I'll usually be more of a follower, or rather, a backseat driver. If I'm with an indecisive or shy friend, and choosing where to eat is taking forever, I might take a leading role...but I'm also rather indecisive, so maybe not. If I'm in a group project and NOBODY'S DOING THEIR GODDAMMNED WORK then I'll usually step in and become their leader for the sake of not failing french class at the hands of two incompetents.

Uhh.

...For example.

Oh, or if an RP argument is taking forever, then I'll step in and get the ball rolling again. :P

Edited by AmberDust

I'm an emergent leader. Most times, ill go with the flow and work on the bits ive been instructed to do and more. It's a simple way of contributing and I know my own work ethic. I can trust myself to get things done where others might not.

I lead when there's a need for leadership and nobody rises to the occasion. I don't appear to be a very leaderly person, but I care very much about getting things done well and on time. That being said, though my planning skills are one of my stronger traits, I have not, and never will, run a group like a dictator. Maybe something close to it when houses are burning down (figuratively speaking), but even then, I am not a perfect being. I may overlook something obvious or make a mistake and quick, effective communication is vital for those moments.

• Brohoof 1