Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you a leader or a follower?

WarpSpeed

I'm a leader, but I have no qualms with following; so long as I feel the person is capable of leading. Even still, I don't blindly follow and I do exercise judgement and critical thinking over a matter. If I don't agree with the leadership or feel someone is not capable at leading -- far be it from me to take their position -- I would simply separate. Also, I have no problem at all with walking along side someone; neither leading nor following but switching roles as mutual friends.

I think I'm like Applejack. She is a natural born leader, but doesn't mind working along side her friends or taking the back seat in leadership until she's needed. For me, I fill a leadership role naturally, it's not something I have to think to do; I just spring into action when it calls for it.

Edited by Jaxsie
  • Brohoof 1

Being able to lead or to follow are both good skills, and you can be good at either, both or indeed neither. I've done a bit of both, with varying degrees of success, but my natural inclination is definitely to follow.

Confidence is the main thing for me - if I am confident that I know what I am doing then I can lead, and sometimes I even want to lead if nobody else has my experience or knowledge, but otherwise I would much rather think, assess, analyse and advise... or keep quiet and just do what I'm told, either works for me. Having a set structure helps as well - if I know where I am in an organisational  structure then I know exactly when I should lead and when I should follow, which makes both much easier.

• Brohoof 1

I am a follower. I absolutely hate responsibility. Not saying I am not responsible because I am one of the most responsible people I know. But I don't want people putting responsibility on me.

I thrive in an environment where I know the rules and am given freedom to operate freely within the rules. It makes me irritated with people who are rule breakers. And I don't mean people who are groundbreakers, I just mean people who break rules to break them when it serves no purpose but to benefit them in some way.

Edited by Lexamena
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I step in as a leader whenever necessary. For example, if no one else is willing to lead or if the team is not doing as well as it should, I will lead. I am also a person who will challenge inertia in a team.

Most of the time however, I am a follower. I guess I am a mixture of both.

Being able to lead or to follow are both good skills, and you can be good at either, both or indeed neither. I've done a bit of both, with varying degrees of success, but my natural inclination is definitely to follow.

Just what I were about to say.

I'm more comfortable in a following role with a strong leader, but more often than not I get annoyed with the indecision of the group and rise to the challenge.

Standing around isn't my thing

I don't feel comfortable being in either. Being told what to do like a mindless sheep isn't my thing nor are leading people to do said thing, so I just choose to go solo. I suppose I'd technically align with being a follower, however, since I can follow orders if they seem logically sound and if I'm allowed to question them. 

• Brohoof 1

It's not really that I prefer being a follower, I'm just a bad leader, and I really don't mind following. I'm the kind of person who needs to know how at least one other person does something before I try, because I'm too afraid of doing the wrong thing.

I'm a very caring but "by the book" leader, and I expect the ones I lead to be the same. Unfortunately, I can be a bit unsympathetic to people who think they're above the rules, so I sometimes don't always lead the best way. I'm more of a "lead by example" leader, and I get upset when my followers stray away from the example that I set.

While I tend to do better on my own, I'd say I'm more of a follower. I can't deal with the pressure of having to make important decisions and lead a group of people who depend on me. So, I remain a follower and just try to help in whatever way I can

Edited by LittleMac

I'm not much of a leader, in terms of socializing or speeches. But, i'm a pretty decent "strategist". Also, i usually dont like to follow orders. So... I guess i'll be the local strategist, tactician and advisor that tags along for fun.

Depending on your definition of leader, it becomes rather difficult for such an individual to actually accomplish much compared to the followers personally. One who bears both an acceptable level of skill in the field and the charismatic power to enforce a decision would fit the leader role perfectly, I would instead prefer to apply my expertise in full to the subject at hand. For these reasons, I would prefer to follow, though a community in which the leader is simply enforcing his or her own decisions (rather than the better suggestions of the group) is likely going to fall short anyway .

Edited by Worst Wizard

Neither. I'm not a team player, and despise taking the helm. I utterly distrust myself in handling the fate of others.

Even so, I'm the only one who can take responsibility for my own future. I "follow" only when the leader's goals and mine are aligned.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a bit of both. I'm willing to follow bad plans for the sake of team cohesion; a bad plan executed well is better than a good plan executed poorly. But I prefer to have a say in what's going on, so I often end up in an advisory role. Sometimes this means the leadership burden falls on me when others are unavailable, though. And I don't perform well under that kind of pressure.

• Brohoof 1