Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 6 confirmed to have 26 episodes

Cleverclover

I highly doubt season six will be the last, I don't know why people keep saying this. 

Sounds more like people are saying they want it to be the last rather than outright saying it is, which I can honestly understand.

Sometimes a show runs to the point where you have to pull the plug, or else the show starts deteriorating. We've seen what happens when shows run a lot longer than they should have, like Family Guy, Spongebob, and Fairly Odd Parents. Sure it's possible for shows to sustain quality for a while(like King Of the Hill, despite the later seasons not being as good as the earlier ones, was still fairly consistent and never became outright bad), but those are far and few in between, not to mention really hard to pull off

• Brohoof 2

Sweet, also I doubt its the last season, a lil bit ago they said they want it to go on another 5 years. even the movie isn't close to 5 years. If we assume a season a year it will end about season 9. But they also didn't say they were gonna end it then so it could go longer. Also, I would think the movie would be used to further advertise the series, not end it. Hasbro would want to use the movie to get more people liking the show. 

They didn't said anything about the show continuing, just the marketing of the toys and that was in 2013. If the show ends with the movie in 2017, there will be only 1 year left and they use that year to sell their new toys they are marketing with the movie. That's atleast what i predict.

• Brohoof 1

They didn't said anything about the show continuing, just the marketing of the toys and that was in 2013. If the show ends with the movie in 2017, there will be only 1 year left and they use that year to sell their new toys they are marketing with the movie. That's atleast what i predict.

actually it was 2014 when they said that, so it would be 2019. Which if they continue with a season a year would last till season 9. I'm not sure about marketing a full 2 years after the movie release with nothing but the movie. They could end like at season 8 though, then market for a year after. I guess well wait and see though. 

Why is everyone saying that season 6 will be the last? Since when is that confirmed?

It wasn't it's more of a general feeling of "this is a good spot to end" on top of the fact that there is a movie being made for release after season 6 is done airing. A sixth season and a movie is a good place to stop. People would rather it end while it's still decent rather than it go on forever and ever and just lose any and all value. Only a handful of shows have gone past even 5 seasons and remained good. Even less shows than that have surpassed a 10th season and remained good.

I mean that's over 7 years of new fresh content, I can't even complain about that. That's 7 years of stuff, over 130+ episodes, a movie, 4 (because we know there is another EQG movie coming) spin off films, an entire comic series with over probably 50 issues by then, a spin off series with another good 40-50 issues, a few books and plenty of fan content. There is literally enough content at that point to keep enjoying for another good 5 years without anything new to be made. If you hold on in hopes that it will keep going, you're just going to spoil the magic. Let the creators end it when they feel it is best to end it and I promise you, more people in the future that look back on it will fall in love with it. They won't have the be forewarned "that it gets stupid after season 7". So they can look upon it and see nothing but mostly quality content.

Phillip Rosenthal ended Everybody Loves Raymond on rather short notice after 9 seasons. People questioned why as the ratings had not declined at all, and the show was still a major hit (one of the most successful American sitcoms ever made). His answer was simple: "We ran out of ideas". He just didn't want to keep the show going by bullcrapping ideas together to justify making more episodes. He would rather end when he knew he could not come up with anymore quality content rather than produce tons of lower quality episodes just to keep the gravy train rolling.

MLP is definitely getting close to its time, if not in season 6, definitely around season 7. Let it go gracefully. Faust has been not working on the show for almost 5 years by the time season 6 ends. The original creator has not been working on it for half a decade by then, let that sink in.

So basically fan speculation. "At least" mean just that. Albeit I'd also like the movie to end everything. But Hasbro have plans for G4 until at least 2018 so unless that's definitely gonna be the last year and they skip a season because of that MLP has a good chance of lasting past the movie. 

Plans don't necessarily mean episodes. It could just mean they intend to milk the toys for another few years while they get generation 5 ready.

In respect to a new Gen show. Not likely on the radar yet. Since I haven't seen any obvious indusrty signs of a new generation (which would need to be beginning development shortly), we can eliminate that.

I wouldn't say that completely eliminates it. It could just mean they have been keeping it under wraps by only involving a small group. I mean look at the extremes that Apple goes through to keep their new products secret. Apple apparently makes people work on new iPhones under black sheets so people can't see them from the outside. They confiscate everyone's cellphones when they enter the development area even.

Sounds more like people are saying they want it to be the last rather than outright saying it is, which I can honestly understand.

I'd say it's a little of both. A little of they want it to end and a little of they are setting their expectations to realistic. Realistically the longer a show goes on the more likely it is to get cancelled. People are preparing themselves for that reality because it will eventually happen.

Realistically to meet their 5 year promise though all they really need to do is just keep making toys and syndicate for 2 years. That would actually be the cheaper solution and thus more money in the bank.

I hope you're right it deserves to have more than 6 seasons.

It may deserve more, but the longer you produce a season, the more you risk seasonal rot. Popular shows like Spongebob Squarepants, Thomas & Friends*, Family Guy, and The Simpsons ran themselves to the ground because they ran out of ideas and recycled plots. No one likes to have shows they like become shells of their glory.

TTTE has a new writing crew, and their story quality is miles better now than a few years ago.

• Brohoof 2

It may deserve more, but the longer you produce a season, the more you risk seasonal rot. Popular shows like Spongebob Squarepants, Thomas & Friends*, Family Guy, and The Simpsons ran themselves to the ground because they ran out of ideas and recycled plots. No one likes to have shows they like become shells of their glory.

TTTE has a new writing crew, and their story quality is miles better now than a few years ago.

True although I still find Family Guy funny lol.

I still think Family Guy is awesome, also South Park is still the best! I think MLP has solid writers and seems to keep getting new good writers, no resone to end a show just because you think it might drop in quality. I mean if it ever did get bad enough to not like the episodes it would probably get canceled. Unlikely though as seeing the writers are really good on the show. I think the writers could do more seasons without running out of ideas.

Plans don't necessarily mean episodes. It could just mean they intend to milk the toys for another few years while they get generation 5 ready.

Yes but the show is used largely to market the toys. So why Hasbro would skip the chance to sell more toys I have no idea. 

Since when does having a movie related to a show spell its end? I really have yet to see this play out in other series, certainly not frequently enough to justify a pattern.

If Season 6 is the end, then hopefully its a good end to a series with a good run. But I hope and believe that FiM will go beyond Season 6. Moreover the other assumption that shows tend to get worse as time progresses I just don't see that being the case with Friendship is Magic. If anything the series has gotten significantly better as time progressed. And for modern reference Futurama, Bojack Horseman, South Park, and Rick and Morty are all examples of shows that got better or stayed strong as they aged. I think its equally just as much perception that people tend to view something getting worse over time.

Enough with the doom and gloom. I am glad to see that Friendship is Magic has another season and movie or not, I hope the show remains strong and continues for a good while.

• Brohoof 2

Yes but the show is used largely to market the toys. So why Hasbro would skip the chance to sell more toys I have no idea. 

They could just syndicate. Thus they do not have to spend more money on episodes and still can advertise the toys. Not to mention at this point everyone knows what MLP is, they don't exactly need to advertise that much more.

To those who want it to end: are you out of your mind?? I'd like it to go for 20 seasons at least, lol

Few shows make it to 20 seasons, especially animated shows. That being said, look what happened to the Simpons; they have had to do budget cut after budget cut just to justify making it these days. Their viewership has been dropping for years man.

Since when does having a movie related to a show spell its end? I really have yet to see this play out in other series, certainly not frequently enough to justify a pattern.

Considering they already wanted to end the show once at season 3, it's not unlikely. A movie is generally where a lot of people prefer to end shows. Spongebob was supposed to end with the movie, Hey Arnold was supposed to end with the second movie, the original Transformers ended with a movie, Samurai Jack was supposed to end with a movie. Movies can also end a series by bombing in the box office. The Powerpuff Girls movie more or less ended the series because of how much they spent on it and it did not get enough of a return. Films are often used to end TV series, they create a big experience that feels satisfying to end on.

I think a lot of people just don't want it to end because they are afraid of the brony fandom ending, which isn't going to happen instantaneously. Yes, the fandom will shrink over time as with no new episodes, interest will fade a bit, but really bronies can't remain the thing of the now forever. We've gotta make way for the next big thing to come. And of course some fans are worried that when gen 5 comes out it'll cause a split in the fandom of people who remain loyal to gen 4 and people who prefer gen 5. AKA new vs. old.