Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Batbrony

Uhm, hiya... again... again... aga- oh, YOU get the idea.

I'd like to ask what authors do you each feel have had the biggest influence on your particular styles of writing?  

And again, thanks for your time - we love you folks!

:D  

I really enjoyed expanding on her, even if it was just for one story. Seeing a happier and more fulfilled Nimbus is something I'd like to expand on more in that continuity, and it's fun to contrast her quietly loving and supportive style of parenting to what I'm used to with Derpy's 'Hugs and muffins for all mah bebehs!' method of motherhood.

Right on.  I'm sort of getting to do a mix of her canon Winningverse self and that alternate universe self.  Cloud still left West Hoof in my fic's continuity, so there's still tension between Nimbus and her over that (and other things in the wake of the Changeling Invasion), but at the same time, given how much she almost lost in that event with her family, she's also a Nimbus who's trying to be a better mother and wife again and make amends with Cloud in that regard.  It's funny, cause she's not even the main character there, no, that's Derpy of all things, but she'll be an important character all the same, as will the Kickers in general.

I'd like to ask what authors do you each feel have had the biggest influence on your particular styles of writing?  

No surprise, it's the same authors I listed in my "writers I really like" question. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

• Brohoof 1

First, I wish to declare that it is a true honor to have you three here,

Well, much like most many others I fell in quite the hiatus after preparing an overhaul of my own story. And unfortunately, said hiatus has extended through months due to schedule issues and a tad of sloth. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that if I don't practice customarily, many synonims and expressions just fade away. I tried some methods like transcribing several words which I mean to keep, but it hasn't worked very efficiently, and just spamming formal and obscure words in every given message and reply I peddle here may or may not be a bit bothersome for the rest of the users (or at the very least that's what I believe they might think).

So, what I'm asking is if there's any efficient exercise you might know about that could help me to practice daily without the need of conceiving a plot for it.

Or, on the other hand, what do you guys do to stir some inspiration? Music? Pictures? Or plain insight? 

EDIT: Ugh, nasty typos. Sorry about that.

Edited by Shadow Beam
  • Brohoof 1

I would say David Weber, Jim Butcher, and R.A. Salvatore. Weber for the worldbuilding, intrigue, and storylines. Jim Butcher for characters, interweaving story, and getting down first person and great action scenes. R.A. Salvatore very much influenced my way to do action scenes also and got me into the whole high fantasy genre.

First, I wish to declare that it is a true honor to have you three here,

Well, much like most many others I fell quite the hiatus after preparing an overhaul in my own story. And unfortunately, said hiatus has extended through months due to schedule issues and a tad of sloth. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that if I don't practice customarily, many synonims and expressions just fade out. I tried some methods like transcribing several words which I mean to keep, but it hasn't worked very efficiently, and just spamming formal and obscure words in every given message and reply I peddle here may or may not be a bit bothersome for the rest of the users (or at the very least that's what I believe they might think).

So, what I'm asking is if there's any efficient exercise you might know about that could help me to practice daily without the need of conceiving a plot for it.

Or, on the other hand, what do you guys do to stir some inspiration? Music? Pictures? Or plain insight? 

Throw two characters into a room together and have them interact. That's a pretty quick and dirty way to just get practice with dialogue and interacting. 

Look to my previous post to see where I get inspiration. Namely, from everywhere I can.

• Brohoof 2

Right on.  I'm sort of getting to do a mix of her canon Winningverse self and that alternate universe self.  Cloud still left West Hoof in my fic's continuity, so there's still tension between Nimbus and her over that (and other things in the wake of the Changeling Invasion), but at the same time, given how much she almost lost in that event with her family, she's also a Nimbus who's trying to be a better mother and wife again and make amends with Cloud in that regard.  It's funny, cause she's not even the main character there, no, that's Derpy of all things, but she'll be an important character all the same, as will the Kickers in general.

Nimbus probably isn't quite as much of a closed-off nag as Cloud thinks, either. After all, a lot of what we see of their relationship is after the falling out, when Cloud is very bitter. I think a lot of the problems ultimately stemmed from Nimbus not being prone to showing overt affection plus being "Tiger Mom" trying to constantly push Cloud to be the best she could. She saw it as pushing her daughter to success, while Cloud saw it as being unpleasable. Every time Nimbus tried to push her to do better, Cloud just heard "You're not good enough." And once things hit a certain point of bitterness between them, it got way too easy for one of them to get angry with the other about things that really shouldn't have mattered in the grand scheme of things.

I do think she learned from her mistakes with Cloud, and was probably doing a better job with Alula. The problem was that by the time she realized her mistakes, Cloud was out of West Hoof and things got bad enough that reconciling would be difficult. And then she died before she got a chance to do so.

Throw two characters into a room together and have them interact. That's a pretty quick and dirty way to just get practice with dialogue and interacting. 

Yeah, the simplest scene to write is two characters sitting down and talking to each other.

• Brohoof 1

Much as Chen and Poni said, it's a compilation of the books I've read over the course of my life, with Jim Butcher being a big influence in recent years.

Well, much like most many others I fell quite the hiatus after preparing an overhaul in my own story. And unfortunately, said hiatus has extended through months due to schedule issues and a tad of sloth. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that if I don't practice customarily, many synonims and expressions just fade out. I tried some methods like transcribing several words which I mean to keep, but it hasn't worked very efficiently, and just spamming formal and obscure words in every given message and reply I peddle here may or may not be a bit bothersome for the rest of the users (or at the very least that's what I believe they might think).

Usually I have an idea of how I want a story or scene to play out, then go to music with an appropriate tone to help me flesh it out. I know I went back to An End, Once And For All quite a lot when I was working on From the Mouths of Fillies.

• Brohoof 3

Nimbus probably isn't quite as much of a closed-off nag as Cloud thinks, either. After all, a lot of what we see of their relationship is after the falling out, when Cloud is very bitter. I think a lot of the problems ultimately stemmed from Nimbus not being prone to showing overt affection plus being "Tiger Mom" trying to constantly push Cloud to be the best she could. She saw it as pushing her daughter to success, while Cloud saw it as being unpleasable. Every time Nimbus tried to push her to do better, Cloud just heard "You're not good enough." And once things hit a certain point of bitterness between them, it got way too easy for one of them to get angry with the other about things that really shouldn't have mattered in the grand scheme of things.

I do think she learned from her mistakes with Cloud, and was probably doing a better job with Alula. The problem was that by the time she realized her mistakes, Cloud was out of West Hoof and things got bad enough that reconciling would be difficult. And then she died before she got a chance to do so.

I certainly never thought she was the closed-off nag Cloud thought she was either, there were just barriers between the two that we never got an opportunity to see torn down, so that's what's fun about seeing how Nimbus may try to actually do so when she gets the chance.  :)

A more general fandom question for you all: what's your favorite season of MLP and why?

A more general fandom question for you all: what's your favorite season of MLP and why?

I would say Season 2. Overall I think it had more episodes I liked, introduced Discord and Chrysalis, and had a lot of high notes. A strong season all around.

To all who wish to answer.

What's the one fanfic each of you wishes you wrote? 

One I'm going to write in the future.  :D

I do have plans for what I hope will be great stories, and I'm really looking forward to writing.

• Brohoof 1

I certainly never thought she was the closed-off nag Cloud thought she was either, there were just barriers between the two that we never got an opportunity to see torn down, so that's what's fun about seeing how Nimbus may try to actually do so when she gets the chance.  :)

Season 1. That was the only one where there were never any really 'bad' episodes, and I enjoyed the Grand Galloping Gala being a background story arc that was interspersed throughout the episodes.

What's the one fanfic each of you wishes you wrote? 

A few I'll be working on them down the line.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I have a favorite season, since seasons are a mixed bag of 26 episodes. I mean, Season 2 has several of my favorite episodes (the premiere and finale, plus Hurricane Fluttershy) but also two very strong contenders for the worst episode of MLP:FiM.

If I had to pick one, I'd say Season One. Though that's probably just nostalgia speaking.

Edited by Chengar Qordath
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think I have a favorite season, since seasons are a mixed bag of 26 episodes. I mean, Season 2 has several of my favorite episodes (the premiere and finale, plus Hurricane Fluttershy) but also two very strong contenders for the worst episode of MLP:FiM.

If I had to pick one, I'd say Season One. Though that's probably just nostalgia speaking.

Would one of those worst episodes happen to be "MMMystery on the Friendship Express"?  Cause to me, that episode is wretched.  :okiedokielokie:

Would one of those worst episodes happen to be "MMMystery on the Friendship Express"?  Cause to me, that episode is wretched.  :okiedokielokie:

That and "Rainbow Falls" stand out among my most hated episode.

Edited by Comma-Kazie

For me, the worst episode is Spike At Your Service, an absolutely wretched and cliche episode that made everyone look like an idiot, and whose only redeeming quality was Pinkie with a mustache. 

It wasn't a very good episode. Comma and Poni also brought up a couple other episodes that are on my bad list, alongside this season's "Princess Spike."

Edited by Chengar Qordath
  • Brohoof 1

I like to believe tropes are tools and that they're not always bad.

Anyways, all my questions are answered, and it's been great hearing from you 3 honorary guests! Thank you and goodnight!

• Brohoof 1

I like to believe tropes are tools and that they're not always bad.

Oh, certainly. Like more literary tools, you just have to be careful how you use them.

Thank you for tuning in! 

• Brohoof 2

Okay. here another one. Have you ever looked back on any of your published stories,  where you went "I should've done this instead" or "I've got much better ideas for this now", moments where you look at your stories some time after it's been published, and you think about wanting to change, improve or implement new ideas into it?

Cause that's something that's kind of halting my writing process. Last year, I thought I had solid concepts for the fic I had planned. Now everything I had planned has changed. Some characters got scrapped. New ones thrown in. Those that stayed got new quirks and personality overhauls, and planned conflicts between them ended up shifting. 

How do you know when the right time to jump on an idea is, and not regret publishing it too soon or going back to scrap and re-write it for something "better?"

• Brohoof 1

Okay. here another one. Have you ever looked back on any of your published stories,  where you went "I should've done this instead" or "I've got much better ideas for this now", moments where you look at your stories some time after it's been published, and you think about wanting to change, improve or implement new ideas into it?

Cause that's something that's kind of halting my writing process. Last year, I thought I had solid concepts for the fic I had planned. Now everything I had planned has changed. Some characters got scrapped. New ones thrown in. Those that stayed got new quirks and personality overhauls, and planned conflicts between them ended up shifting. 

How do you know when the right time to jump on an idea is, and not regret publishing it too soon or going back to scrap and re-write it for something "better?"

Have a plan for the whole story from start to finish, and take time to plot out the important things That Have To Happen. Don't be afraid to make changes along the way, but you have a much better plan of seeing your story to the end if you have a solid blueprint at the beginning.

Edited by Comma-Kazie
  • Brohoof 1

That is ultimately a question you have to answer for yourself. Because it's largely a judgement call. It might help to write a few chapters before publishing so that you have a better idea of where the story is going and prevent this from happening to start with. It also gives you something of a buffer to run on should you have a period where you're not writing much. 

• Brohoof 1

And when it comes to writing, never let the perfect become the enemy of the good. If you decide to not put down a single word until it's absolutely 100% perfect in every way, you're gonna spend a long, long time writing anything. It's usually better to just write something that's good enough, then go back over it later to fix any issues. Don't over-plan your stories, or else all you'll ever have is a bunch of plans, but no actual stories.

And yeah, looks like that's a wrap. Thanks for all the questions, everyone.

• Brohoof 4

And on that note, our time has sadly come to an end.  On behalf of Poniverse and all of our staff and lovely members, I want to thank all three of you for taking the time to chat with our members this evening!  It was very generous of you all and we really appreciate it!  :muffins:   Thank you to all our members for participating and coming up with some great questions for our guests, and keep an eye out for our next Monthly Fandom Q&A guest!  Good night everypony!  :icwudt:

• Brohoof 4