S05:E16 Made in Manehattan  

152 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT <3

The episode was good, but not the best. My biggest problem was how fast they had created the theatre. This was to fast for me. A big plus for Coco Pommel. She was so cute as a filly. I also like that they bring new backgroundponies again. I would give the episode 3 of 5 points.

R.I.P. AJs old hat

Edited by IronM17

The ending had Rarity realized why the map sent Applejack with her instead of Twilight: Twilight instantly fixing the apparent problem would have prevented the real problem from being addressed and solved!

It was Charity that left, not Cheerilee.

ahh i misheard then :adorkable:  blah blah blah 20 charaters

Here are my first thoughts about today's episode:

The episode had an interestering idea and I think the moral communicated it's goal in a good way.

The humour and references were alright.

But one thing that did afffect this episode's quality was the pacing, too fast!

Because at one moment they were desperated to do anything to help Coco, but they did the most obvious thing they could to do so and I think they could have done it earlier and then it skipped to the theather part, oh boy that was too sloppy.

TL;DR The episode could have been better with better pacing, but the moral and humour/references did help to make it worth it.

Rating: 7.5/10

Holy crap, this episode's just full of all the New York references, isn't it?  Newsies, George Costanza-pony, My Fair Filly, the list goes on and on.  I LOVE IT!  But poor Applejack, she's working herself to the bone.  :(

Did you catch the horseshoes tied together and hanging from the line?

• Brohoof 1

Charity

Anyone remember that episode of Friendship is Witchcraft?  ;)

I guess it's time to prepare for EQG tonight.

Will you be on equestriatv? Either way, brohoof! I've got my Sunny D in stock and ready. Goes well with those Sunset scenes. :D

R.I.P. AJs old hat

Don't worry. Every one of AJ's hats goes to AJ hat heaven where it is later re-incarnated into AJ's hat closet down on the farm.  :smug:

• Brohoof 2

Will you be on equestriatv? Either way, brohoof! I've got my Sunny D in stock and ready. Goes well with those Sunset scenes.

I am not as hyped as most people about the movie. But i don't wanna look like a douche, that says it's the worst thing ever, without having seen it. I keep an open mind to it.

As if I needed any more reasons to love Coco Pommel. I love the idea of her bringing back an old neighborhood tradition that she grew up with. She cares so much about it and the legacy that Charity left behind, it's hard not to sympathize with her. Not to mention they highlight importance of community, something I think a lot of people have lost over the years. Also, filly Coco is the best hing.

Poor AJ. If "Applebuck Season" taught us anything, is that a big job is just too much even for a pony like her. It's no apple orchard, but even a small park can take a lot of effort to keep it tidy.

My older sister works as a lighting designer for the theatre scene, so I'm willing to bet she's gonna love this episode just as much as I did.

This was a fun episode, but ho boy I can't wait to see how next week's episode in Ponyville goes... namely with Sweetie Belle.

• Brohoof 3

Of the three Rarity episodes, this one was my favorite. Even though it felt like a rather average episode overall, it still ended up being really sweet. We got to see Coco again (Filly Coco IS SO CUTE!) and my only complaint was the intentional bad acting. A few people of said they spotted Babs, which makes me think that it would have been neat if we got to see Aunt and Uncle Orange again.

Also, I was surprised to learn that this episode ties directly into a future episode much like Just for Sidekicks did, with the mention of the Sisterhooves Social. I'm a suck for continuity like that. 

And, again, if the next Map themed episode isn't Fluttershy and Twilight, we're going to have another Lesson Zero level freak-out on our hands. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 4

Here are my first thoughts about today's episode:

The episode had an interestering idea and I think the moral communicated it's goal in a good way.

The humour and references were alright.

But one thing that did afffect this episode's quality was the pacing, too fast!

Perhaps the pacing was fast on purpose, to convey the fast pace of Manehatten.

Or maybe they just tried to fit too much stuff in the time aloted.

I felt the fast pacing too, but it fit the story line. Didn't effect the quality of the episode to me.

Another amazing episode!!!!

- Finally, another map episode.

- More Coco Pommel!!!

- Rarity made that puppeteer lookalike lose some business.

- Poor Applejack, the big city isn't too kind.

- I'm glad we got a Rarijack episode that wasn't centered around them getting into a huge argument.

- No song though. I'm wondering just how jam packed the rest of the season will be when it comes to songs.

- Applejack and Rarity mentioned the Sisterhooves social and that's what the next episode is about. Are they going to do a Just For Sidekicks/Games Ponies play scenario again?

• Brohoof 1

- No song though. I'm wondering just how jam packed the rest of the season will be when it comes to songs.

There are 10 songs left and one of the episodes (Mane Event) is confirmed to have multiple songs. The Season Finale will likely have at least two as well. 

Ok. I really liked this one, and the only issue I have with it is how Rarity had to summarize the moral for everyone when the play itself did it perfectly. Other than that, the references, AJ's role here, and dual themes of community investment and 'Little Flower' methodology were appreciated by yours truly. 

• Brohoof 2

Interesting that when theater ponies play a role of another character they tape a piece of paper with that pony's cutie mark over their own. I guess that's how it would have to work. Nice attention to details.

• Brohoof 1

How it's made MLP edition:

What I liked:

Twilight: Bored Twilight is best XD

Rarity and Applejack: Love these two here and I also liked how it focused more on Applejack overall. Apple horse needs more love. (Also Rarijack FTW!)

The moral: A bit of a retread in that it's pretty much the same as Hurricane Fluttershy's moral but with a different context to it. Nice job! 

Next episode preview: Doing a Just of Sidekicks thing where you have two episodes intertwined and I like that. They should do that more often.

What I didn't like: 

The pacing: I think I can say this is a first but I think this is the first episode which was far longer than it needed to be.  The first act, while nice adds nearly nothing to the overall plot of the second and third act outside of ponies are jerks and we get a reprise of that later on

The stakes: Now low stakes stories aren't bad, they're some of MLP's best, but having the map call you here gets this high stakes vibe to it.  The other times you had a cult of equality and the ruins of a once great civilization and then you go to stage performance because city folks are jerks sometimes.  See what I mean?

What was meh:

Coco: Didn't really do much, was just sort of there.  

Overall a pretty good episode.  Next week we see how badly Big Mac and Apple Bloom fuck up! 
  • Brohoof 3

Not bad, but not the best either. That stage didn't exactly look like an afternoon project, so the "little things can make a big difference" moral is spoiled a bit. But at least the props they used were nice and crappy looking :lol:

The ending had Rarity realized why the map sent Applejack with her instead of Twilight: Twilight instantly fixing the apparent problem would have prevented the real problem from being addressed and solved!

Yeah, that is an interesting concept. Twilight is too powerful for her own good, and the map knows it. Makes me think of Celestia, and how she hardly ever does anything herself because that would rob everypony else of valuable learning experiences.

I was hoping their solution would be to call Twilight and ask her to come fix it for them. She was so bored, she would have loved it. But I guess this really is better, since otherwise the neighborhood ponies wouldn't have seen that a little effort can make a big difference. I hope some future episode focuses on Twilight figuring out what good she can do between map summonings.

- Rarity made that puppeteer lookalike lose some business.

Not quite! She bought that new hat for AJ from him.

And speaking of the hat, I was torn between horror and laughing my head off when she ran it over with the lawnmower. It all happened so fast :( But definitely horror when Rarity just threw it in the trash like it was nothing. But I guess this means that it's not a specific special hat, and just one of the many from the hat and bow closet.

I wish they would have gone to visit Applejack's aunt and uncle. Even for a short scene that doesn't accomplish anything, just while they were searching for their friendship problem.

But overall it was pretty enjoyable. Nice to see Coco again, and this explains why she wasn't used in Canterlot Boutique. Not enough Rarity/Coco shipping though :pout:

• Brohoof 1

There are 10 songs left and one of the episodes (Mane Event) is confirmed to have multiple songs. The Season Finale will likely have at least two as well. 

Ok. I really liked this one, and the only issue I have with it is how Rarity had to summarize the moral for everyone when the play itself did it perfectly. Other than that, the references, AJ's role here, and dual themes of community investment and 'Little Flower' methodology were appreciated by yours truly.

oh yeah. I forgot that the Lena Hall episode will have multiple songs.