S05:E16 Made in Manehattan  

152 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT <3

One question re: this episode: yes, Twilight can't get involved with Rarity and AJ's mission in Manehattan, but for Pete's sake, it's not like she can't go to the city and do her own thing while they are on business. As far as we know, the map ONLY stated that Rarity and AJ were to be there for the friendship problem, so why does this also have to mean "Oh, NOPONY ELSE CAN BE IN THE AREA BECAUSE THE PLOT SAYS SO"? Also, Twilight, if you're so bored, get out of the castle for a while! It's not like you're under house arrest by the freaking map. Visit the other ponies or something! Yes, I know this has more to do with her getting frustrated that she hasn't been assigned any missions from the map at all (*cough cough* season finale resolution *cough cough), but it's getting annoying. Also, if the events of "Amending Fences" could be a friendship problem, WHY DIDN'T THE MAP ASSIGN HER THAT ANYWAY?!!? Is there some kinda major connection between the ones we've seen so far that we're not being told yet or something (Griffonstone, Starlight Glimmer, Manehattan)?

I agree with this sentiment. Twilight can still go to the city. Why not another neighborhood? Why not go to the Griffin Kingdom? It's not like she has any royal duties or anything or she wouldn't be so bored in the first place.

My thoughts for this episode after a first viewing is that it's rather plain. For a cutie mark map episode, I am not impressed. I also fail to see what friendship had to do with the plot to any real degree. This is community outreach and the writer was really reaching if they were trying to make a connection between it and friendship. The stakes are low and even boring with even more boring and somewhat vague conclusions at the end. We don't see an automatic and clear result like with "Cutie Map". So these ponies in the neighborhood are just going to maybe clean up the park more or whatever because they find out that it can make a difference. That's it?

Not even Coco could really save this episode from being substandard. I hope the next one shines brighter.

According to this episode, homelessness is canon, now:

988170__safe_screencap_background+pony_s

Even the cutie mark implies that he's panhandling. Like, it's his destiny.

P.S. -- if it doesn't belong here, please place where it does.

• Brohoof 3

Twilight giving her books the raspberry was pretty adorable. Although it is a bit of a shocker that... <gasp!> Twilight can get bored of reading?! She was so bored she even took Spike's comic!  :wacko:

Public service announcement...  Please go here: http://atpeacewithpink.blogspot.com/2015/09/grammar-peeves-episode-1.html

Nothing personal, Truffles.  You were simply the most recent in a long, long, line of people who made me crazy with this one.

• Brohoof 1

I have tried to watch this episode twice today. Both times I was so easily distracted I couldn't believe it. Positively yawn worthy. I just cannot get interested in this story. AJ and Rarity are my two bottom Mane 6. And personally I don't like the cutie map premise where specific characters are called to duty. They were fine together, sweet ponies as usual. Just not an engaging plot line though. Easily a bottom of the list episode for me.

Alright, this episode is on the average scale.

There are some good things here. The backgrounds are nice here, the moral is pretty powerful even though I feel they've done this one before, and it's nice to see Coco again.

However, nothing else really stood out for me. Everything else played typical and the play scene felt like padding so:

7/10.

• Brohoof 1

poor applejack her hat got ruined, but luckily Rarity found her another one

she has a whole closet of hats, at her house. One loss shouldn't be an issue

I agree with this sentiment. Twilight can still go to the city. Why not another neighborhood? Why not go to the Griffin Kingdom? It's not like she has any royal duties or anything or she wouldn't be so bored in the first place.

My thoughts for this episode after a first viewing is that it's rather plain. For a cutie mark map episode, I am not impressed. I also fail to see what friendship had to do with the plot to any real degree. This is community outreach and the writer was really reaching if they were trying to make a connection between it and friendship. The stakes are low and even boring with even more boring and somewhat vague conclusions at the end. We don't see an automatic and clear result like with "Cutie Map". So these ponies in the neighborhood are just going to maybe clean up the park more or whatever because they find out that it can make a difference. That's it?

Not even Coco could really save this episode from being substandard. I hope the next one shines brighter.

I agree Twilight's not under castle arrest. She's free to go laces without the map teling her to. Her compaining about it just irritates me

It was an okay episode. 

The setup was painfully lackluster. With TLToG, I thought that Twilight's disappointment at not being called by the map was based purely on not being able to visit Griffonstone. Now, at this point, it's clear to me that the writers are obviously building up a massive payoff for her. I now believe that instead of having a mission with Fluttershy, her mission will be a solo one, and it will undoubtedly have the grandest scale (possibly including a small-time baddie and culminating to yet another laser battle). 

In any case, her moping is annoying, especially after the whole "I have no purpose as a princess" angle was already explored (arbitrarily, I might add) in Twilight's Kingdom. She should be past that by now. She shouldn't be waiting for a map to tell her what to do, she should be finding ways she can improve her country on her own. She should be exploring the relatively minor matters that Celestia and Luna ultimately overlook. Why was she made a princess in the first place if she isn't willing to actually earn the popularity she already possesses for no apparent reason?  >_>

Anyway, I'd say this episode fixed some of TLToG's issues in that Applejack and Rarity were far more united in their task than Dash and Pinkie were, neither were relegated to an ultimately pointless "B-plot", and the solution to the problem itself felt like it had more actual closure rather than the "band-aid" solution of the former episode. 

However, Applejack's self-doubt was jarring to me, and it ultimately felt out of place, particularly for a natural-born leader. In particular, their arrival scene where she comments on the bustling nature of the city in comparison to Ponyville and struggles to cross the street felt immensely out of place, since Benvenuti appeared to have forgotten that Applejack actually lived in Manehattan during her youth. (Of course, it isn't clear how long she lived there, but apparently long enough for her to learn how to hide her natural accent and speak with more eloquent terminology). Therefore, she should already know how busy the city is in comparison to Ponyville, and she certainly shouldn't feel nervous about just crossing the damn street! 

Coco was still adorable as hell, though admittedly, I preferred her characterization in RTM. However, it's funny that she can pretty much serve as an example of what Twilight should be doing with her princess status. Being proactive, not because someone or something told you to, but because you possess a desire to make your community a better place. 

• Brohoof 1

This is fantastic! Do they truly expect us to believe something like scumbag capitalist attitude of Manehattan ponies is a map worthy problem? Bollocks, I say!

They created this cruddy map thing so that we could explore more of Equestria, but all we get is this?! The episode was far worse than previous two, the whole thing was progressing faster that the speed of rainbows, and the map was unneeded. It makes one wonder if the crystal contraption is just a cop out that propels the plot onward without any effort from the writers. Just activate the map and voila! Does it really take a machina for two friends to visit a big, bustling pony city? Poppycock, I say! Both Rarity and Applejack have reasons to go there of their own volition. Say no to crystal! Say yes to logic!

After something is used and repeated it no longer qualifies as a Deus ex Machina ... because you expect it. That said, it serves as the catalyst for travel episodes and also appears to be serving as a platform for a recuring theme for Twilight. Likely build up for something later on.

Second viewing ... episode has some decent parts but needed some tightening up and polish ... it really didn't stick the landing. I vehemently disagree with the idea that the map should not be sending characters to Manehattan. As someone who grew up in a big ass city, I can attest to how a disappearing tradition without a proper replacement can sap a communities spirit. They just didn't communicate this effectively.

I wouldn't go so far to say I disliked the episode, but the 3rd act was terrible. In an instant they go from failure, to poofing a stage into existence, and skipping straight past any kind of climax, right to the payoff. 

• Brohoof 2

It was an okay episode, good to see Coco Pommel. Though I enjoyed it I did not like that Applejack threw her hat away. Sure it's just fannon but I feel it should be more important to her then that. So yeah, it was okay.

She literally has a closet full of hats back home...

Same with Apple Bloom's bow

• Brohoof 1

can't wait for next weeks episode, another rarity one I hear.   What's that? It's Rarity AND Applejack?...Oh no...

I was really worrying about this episode, alot. There isn't a single episode I like AJ in. The only 2 episodes that involve her in the main story that I like are bats and pinkie apple pie, but those two I like because of Fluttershy and pinkie pie respectively. And rarity has recently taken over the 4th spot for my fave of the main 6. Sorry Rainbow. I used to think you were cool, but now I think you're just rude and arrogant. This episode did everything for me though. I loved it, one of my favorites of the season so far. The references were awesome. Like peanuts? Are you kidding me? That awesome! a callback to Rarity takes manehaten, a mention to a future episode, and it kept me entertained and laughing throughout. Rarity, I'm beginning to really love you. Maybe Jeric and ooBrony were right this whole time. And as for AJ? I'm still unsure, but I have hope at least.  

Edited by Mothra
  • Brohoof 2

It was great! Aside from only AJ and Rarity appearing this episode would be a great first episode if someone's willing to become a brony.

Also, there are some people concerned that Applejack threw away her hat that she had since the very beginning, but that's simply not true!

vlcsnap-2014-03-08-21h48m34s231.png

• Brohoof 3

Episode had some good parts (Rares comically destroying that one street vendor's career, Coco Pommel being admirable and my finally learning how to pronounce her name, the moral) but I wasn't really feeling it. The reactions of the crowd to the play were quality, but the play itself felt super filler and pointless, as did the montage of Applejack's hat getting destroyed and the park probably getting cleaned somewhere along the line. I don't feel like it was an outright bad episode, like some are, but it was just eh for me.

The most memorable thing about the episode (besides the quality moral) was Rarity all but confirming that the map is benching Twilight because "Twily OP pls nerf".

After something is used and repeated it no longer qualifies as a Deus ex Machina ... because you expect it. That said, it serves as the catalyst for travel episodes and also appears to be serving as a platform for a recuring theme for Twilight. Likely build up for something later on.

Second viewing ... episode has some decent parts but needed some tightening up and polish ... it really didn't stick the landing. I vehemently disagree with the idea that the map should not be sending characters to Manehattan. As someone who grew up in a big ass city, I can attest to how a disappearing tradition without a proper replacement can sap a communities spirit. They just didn't communicate this effectively.

My bad, it’s just a plot device (for now). I’m just so used to colorful crystal rainbow rays of salvation that my fingers can’t help but type machina whenever my eyeballs see something similar. Machina or PD, it’s still an eyesore (I can live with that) and a possible I win button that doesn’t contribute to an interesting episode. If they are smart, they should cleave this crystal pile into a normal magical castle ASAP.

As for the Manehattan thing: do you really expect me to believe there are no such problems sprouting all over Equestria? There’s a place called Las Pegasus for Celestia’s sake. I bet they are very rich in “traditions”. Besides, I never said Rarity and AJ shouldn’t have this episode, I merely stated that they have used a powerful magical tool to propagate pony outings that could have easily been explained without it. I called that lazy.

I really enjoyed the episode. After all, I'm ever the nerd when it comes to worldbuilding and background. I traditionally like these travel episodes because I really enjoy seeing how the rest of Equestria looks. I really liked the vibe of Manehattan in this one and how it showed all the various different parts. I also rather enjoyed seeing the variety of BG ponies and accents. Especially the accents. It also helps that AJ and Rarity are my two favorites of the Mane 6, so that I'd get to see the two of them also helped matters. And the moral isn't something new, some episodes do like to point out community volunteering as an admirable trait, but I do feel it has more impact to older viewers, who have the money and transport to actually do these themselves and aren't told nearly as much oh how beneficial it can be. It seems a lot of people here disliked the episode, for a couple of reasons, but I rather loved it myself.

Although the Peanuts joke wasn't that great. I noticed it, it didn't make me break out in laughter. The play was also... pretty terrible. I can't believe it attracted such a crowd.

Personally out of the three Rarity episodes I'd have to say I like this one the best. Rarity Investigates was fun, but I saw its ending from space, and the first one had some snags that really made it fall behind the other two. We got to see what Coco is doing, I'm sure her fanbase is all for that. A little Rarijack is always welcome as well  :wub:

As for the meat of the episode, I enjoyed it. I find it rather peculiar that what they were meant to do quite literally hit them in the face from the wind. It makes me wonder how much influence this map/castle has over its surroundings. Clearly Twilight heeds its every whim to the point of not going against it twice now, and the other ponies don't seem to have a problem taking orders from it either. What is its aims? Where is it getting its info from? Did it literally guide the flyer to hit Rarity in the face or did it just know that they would run into that whole situation flyer or not. I'm sensing my theory that the Tree of Harmony is using this whole set up to manipulate the elements of harmony for its own ends may not be so far off. 

• Brohoof 1

Rarity trilogy has ended. The act 3 of Made in manehattan is too boring, they should skip the play for sth else. There is no climax in this episode.

I feel... disappointed. Season 5 has a large amount of boring episodes (AMW, PS, Canterlot boutique, and made in manehattan). I hope this trend of boring episodes will stop. I dont have any problem with slow pace episodes (Amending fence is amazing slow pace episode). Ss 5 part 2 is meh so far. They didnt even have any good songs to save the episodes lol (Canterlot boutique would be better, if they can made an amazing song ;)).

Rarity trilogy. 5/10.

• Brohoof 1