Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Firearm/Military technologies discussion

TheSwooceMaster

Alrighty then, ladies and gentlemen. This here is the MLP Forums' first Firearms/Military technologies discussion thread! Here, the fanatics of all things jet-propelled and laser-guided, to powder-loaded and long range, can discuss about military technologies old and new, firearms small and large, and armored vehicles logistic to offensive. 

For any members that may be here for the foreseeable future, introduce yourselves! Name off a favorite combat vehicle/vessel/aircraft and maybe a favorite firearm of yours!

I'll start:

Favorite firearm: AR-15/M-16/M4A1 assault rifle/carbine

Favorite combat vessel: U.S.S Iowa (Iowa-class battleship)

Favorite combat vehicle (ground): M1A2 Abrams SEP

Favorite combat aircraft: F-15E Strike Eagle

Now, let the battleposting commence!

post-35007-0-66685100-1442905700.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Favorite on duty pistol I have shot down range was the P226 and it's fat brother P229.

Worst gun you could ever have arguably is the Beretta M9. My reason for saying this is because the dang thing jams up so much you can't really trust it in my experience.

Favorite Rifle: H&K MR556A1 I want my hands on it but can't  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 2

Well I don't really have a favourite since it all tends to be misused by criminal regimes. But I do appreciate those railguns the yanks are developing to replace conventional cannons on their warships. No more handling of hazardous explosive munitions, just a big lump of metal.

There's also the lasers. Brilliant for point defence to eliminate incoming ordinance. Although apparently they now want to equip all their fighters with lasers by 2020. One has to wonder if that includes the $1T joke known as the F-35.

• Brohoof 1

Did you hear about the British developing Rail Guns for their Battleships?

Secret Development by BAE Systems.

article-0-1B96766B00000578-956_634x368.j

--

Russia's secret to Tank Warfare? Possibly the missing link between the Abram and T-90.

T14 Armata, bad ass Tank.

sig-4104631.CEj1--pWYAASuhO.jpg

--

And the Chinese Airforce is adding Vertical Lift-Off to their currently existing Stealth Jets.

31001oct315-615b.jpg

Edited by Lunar Echo
  • Brohoof 2

I'm more a disciple of the martial arts and I understand there is plenty of overlap, but my experience at Valley Forge Military College has taught me two things.

1 ) Military bearing

2 ) I can't shoot for shit.

Just putting my cards on the table, I'm not enlisted. That being said I love and respect the military and shout out to all you military bronies. So if I was to fight in a modern battlefield and was given training of my choice, and seeing as the A-10 has already been said, I'd fly an Apache Gunship.

Apache-Gunship.jpg

Maneuverable and plenty of firepower for ground support and air assault. For a firearm, I'd want something that could offset my own rather poor marksmanship. So naturally I'd got with a Mossberg 500 pump-action.

Shotgun.jpg

Not my first choice of personal weapon, but one that causes me to damn salivate is the AA-12.

aa-12-combat-shotgun-frag-12-automatic.j

"Accept no substitutes" my foot, THIS is the weapon you use "when you absolutely, positively need to kill every motherfucker in the room."

Lastly, for weapons I already have some idea how to use and would be marginally more effective with in close quarters, I'd go with a tomahawk.

tomahawk_30-000792-2.jpg_fulljpg.jpg

Edited by Steel Accord

Just putting my cards on the table, I'm not enlisted. That being said I love and respect the military and shout out to all you military bronies. So if I was to fight in a modern battlefield and was given training of my choice, and seeing as the A-10 has already been said, I'd fly an Apache Gunship.

For Attack Choppers you might want to try the Turkist Air Force's T129 ATAK Attack Chopper, it's said to out-class the Apache now. It's supposdly going to replace the Apache as well, once it has been Americanfied of course. This thing could probably bull charge a couple hundred rockets of direct damage and still keep in the air.

2473237.jpg

Edited by Lunar Echo

Well I don't really have a favourite since it all tends to be misused by criminal regimes. But I do appreciate those railguns the yanks are developing to replace conventional cannons on their warships. No more handling of hazardous explosive munitions, just a big lump of metal.

There's also the lasers. Brilliant for point defence to eliminate incoming ordinance. Although apparently they now want to equip all their fighters with lasers by 2020. One has to wonder if that includes the $1T joke known as the F-35.

It is quite an amazing feat that the railgun is coming to fruition in reality. I mean, the weapon is so simple in its overall characteristics: magnetic coils are placed inside a long barrel, which pull the projectile WAY past the speed of sound, and the kinetic forces do the rest.

And don't get me started on the F-35. What in the world was the Air Force thinking?! Well already have a stealth multirole fighter in service. Why do we need another? Nothing more than a waste of American tax dollars and defense spending.

• Brohoof 1

It is quite an amazing feat that the railgun is coming to fruition in reality. I mean, the weapon is so simple in its overall characteristics: magnetic coils are placed inside a long barrel, which pull the projectile WAY past the speed of sound, and the kinetic forces do the rest.

And don't get me started on the F-35. What in the world was the Air Force thinking?! Well already have a stealth multirole fighter in service. Why do we need another? Nothing more than a waste of American tax dollars and defense spending.

The F-35 is probably for propaganda or "identity" reasons.

• Brohoof 1

The F-35 is probably for propaganda or "identity" reasons.

Quite possibly. Although this "propaganda" stunt is breaking the defense budget. We should at least prioritize the budget and quit spending ludicrous amounts of money on contracts and focus on the military resources we have now.

• Brohoof 1

Quite possibly. Although this "propaganda" stunt is breaking the defense budget. We should at least prioritize the budget and quit spending ludicrous amounts of money on contracts and focus on the military resources we have now.

In a time where Russia and America hate for one another is at its highest since the first Cold War I dought that would work. We're living in the second Cold War my friend, ever since Russia's little stunt in the Ukraine. Expect military stockpiling and proxy wars in other countries. Also expect "propaganda" to be at an all time high, this is what fools people into fighting for the big wigs.

This is sadly our world until it's blown up by ourselves.

• Brohoof 1

In a time where Russia and America hate for one another is at its highest since the first Cold War I dought that would work. We're living in the second Cold War my friend, ever since Russia's little stunt in the Ukraine. Expect military stockpiling and proxy wars in other countries. Also expect "propaganda" to be at an all time high, this is what fools people into fighting for the big wigs.

I can say tensions are at an all time high, but I do sincerely hope we don't see any direct conflict. Our service men and women have fought for over a decade in the god-forsaken hellhole known as the Middle East. We don't need them fighting a full-scale conflict, especially with the likes of Russia. 

Although I can assure you that even when shit hits the fan, nuclear war will still remain far on the horizon. For one reason, M.A.D

• Brohoof 2

I can say tensions are at an all time high, but I do sincerely hope we don't see any direct conflict. Our service men and women have fought for over a decade in the god-forsaken hellhole known as the Middle East. We don't need them fighting a full-scale conflict, especially with the likes of Russia. 

Although I can assure you that even when shit hits the fan, nuclear war will still remain far on the horizon. For one reason, M.A.D

Why not? Our Service Men and Women were made to fight other Military's. The role they play currently in the Middle East is not suited to their line of duty. The Duty in the Middle East is to try and resolve a wide spread problem, it's more a policing and Law Enforcement role. They made a mistake to begin with be using Military intervention on Civilians. Look at the Vietnam war, most of the people there didn't receive any "proper" Military training, they just used skills they picked up from living there as Civilians.

If Russia or China were to start something on a Military Scale that would provoke the attention of another Nations Military then it's only proper that the two countries Military's battle it out. The problem with todays day and age is that the countries with the actually trained and ready to fight a proper war are all carrying weapons of Mass Destruction. No one is going to make a move on a country that has the potential to destroy the planet we call home. So we run into this modern day era where we have a well-funded, well-trained and well-equiped military but only to be wasted on new world fighters or "terrorists".

• Brohoof 1

The US might not, but since they won't sell the F-22 there are a lot of allies that would rather like something similar (and more flexible - the STOVL capability of the B variant is worth a lot all by itself.) The objective of the program was to "develop and field an affordable, highly common family of next-generation strike aircraft for the United States... and allies" whereas the F-22 is supposed to completely outmatch any current or near-future fighter aircraft. There is a substantial political element to it, but even if it costs the US a substantial sum, ensuring that "buying american" remains the go-to option for (relatively) cheap high-tech equipment for NATO and allied countries then it may yet prove worthwhile.

Also, hello. I'll pass on most of the favourite firearms and whatnot, but I will say that my favourite combat aircraft is the Tornado GR4. Largely because they addressed the problems the GR1 faced in the Gulf War, can fly in absolutely terrible weather, and because it is just so versatile - it can mount a RAPTOR (Reconnaissance Air Pod TORnado) which is a wonderful little spying device that turns a small and fast bomber into a reconnaissance aircraft, or it can mount a small nuclear weapon.

• Brohoof 2

Hmmm.....

Well, I've never carried a weapon before, yet I know a lot about them :3

Battleship: Yamato

Fighter: F22 Raptor

Light Bomber: Ju87 Stuka

Medium Bomber: Il-2 Sturmovik

Heavy Bomber: B-2 Spirit

WW2 Tank: Panther

Modern Tank: Challenger

Firstly I mean no disrespect to anyone with this post. 

I am not enthusiastic about firearms or military technologies, and I don't fully understand why so many people are. I have shot guns before in real life. It was not fun or pleasant. It was something I had to learn how to do because of the level of violence in this world. 

When it comes to fictional things, that's a different story. I love stuff like Transformers, superhero movies, and other similar things that are just completely over the top. But for me it loses any and all sense of happiness and fun when it involves real life. 

I have used knives, guns, and other weapons before and the only thing I feel about it is sadness and regret. All I can do is hope that I'll never, ever be in a situation where I have to use such things on anyone.

• Brohoof 2

Which is not an inevitability unless every single human on the face of the planet suddenly becomes suicidal.

Look up Colonel Stanislav Petrov. All one needs to ever do to restore their faith in the human race's will to live.

Agreed and again, look up the good Colonel Stanislav Petrov for an uplifting tale of just why we are still here to talk about this.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Also, in an attempt to keep this on-topic, another weapon that I have a fondness for is the M2 Browning.

M2_-_24th_MEU.jpg

Maybe it's my fondness for turret sections in video games talking, but I always liked mounted weapons and the idea of saying, "well if I MUST use a ballistic weapon I ain't settling for half measures!"

Sorry if that seems like I'm treating your guy's very dangerous and noble jobs as something to make light of, that's not my intention in the slightest.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

For Attack Choppers you might want to try the Turkist Air Force's T129 ATAK Attack Chopper, it's said to out-class the Apache now. It's supposdly going to replace the Apache as well, once it has been Americanfied of course. This thing could probably bull charge a couple hundred rockets of direct damage and still keep in the air.

sig-4104708.2473237.jpg

Well, it certainly is more aesthetically pleasing than the Apache.

• Brohoof 1

I am not enthusiastic about firearms or military technologies, and I don't fully understand why so many people are. I have shot guns before in real life. It was not fun or pleasant. It was something I had to learn how to do because of the level of violence in this world. 

When it comes to fictional things, that's a different story. I love stuff like Transformers, superhero movies, and other similar things that are just completely over the top. But for me it loses any and all sense of happiness and fun when it involves real life. 

I have used knives, guns, and other weapons before and the only thing I feel about it is sadness and regret. All I can do is hope that I'll never, ever be in a situation where I have to use such things on anyone.

Right there with you. While I've never touched or used a firearm, I'm a great shot with a recurve bow. I've also wielded a (blunt) short sword.

Problem with all weapons is that humans are reliably stupid enough to use them against each other. And knowing people all over the world, I tire of the stress of seeing violence in the news and having to check if all my friends are still alive. :sunny:

• Brohoof 1

While the chances of having to use weapons is low for most, there are times that some come across and have to do what is necessary for the survival and wellbeing of self and others. I do not know what was the reason you used weapons, perhaps out of self defense, but I believe you, or at least you as of now, know what you're doing.

As for the topic, I would like to turn to the receiving side, and present something that save lives, as oppose to taking them, Kevlar vests.

kevlar_short_fiber.jpg

Kevlar is this spectacular thing that is a few times stronger than steel while substantially lighter. While it does not render the wearer completely invincible, it does offer better protection than simply running out naked.

________9135558_orig.jpg

Pretty popular among police enforcements and army forces. Due to kevlar's light and flexible nature, some vests could be developed to be covert, worn under clothing, which makes it ideal for civilian use in some situations too.

I do not know if you folks would agree with me on this one, but I think they make great cosplay components too xD, provided that the moderate uncomfortability could be tolerated, and that it's legal in the region.

• Brohoof 3

I do not know if you folks would agree with me on this one, but I think they make great cosplay components too xD, provided that the moderate uncomfortability could be tolerated, and that it's legal in the region.

It absolutely flummoxes me that they would be considered illegal. It's a damn kevlar vest! Even if I don't agree with it, I could at least understand bans on things like nun-chucks or swords, but a kevlar vest?! What is such a law preventing? People sweating too much?

"Nothing said before the word 'but' really counts."

~Benjen Stark quoting his brother Ned.

You'd be surprised how much of one's statements change when one has internalized this logic. It's like an extension of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Not to say your following is particularly hostile, just that stating such a qualifier reminded me of that quote.

I am not enthusiastic about firearms or military technologies, and I don't fully understand why so many people are.

Because to many, they are the only things that keep them alive and allow them to keep what and who they love safe.

I have shot guns before in real life. It was not fun or pleasant. It was something I had to learn how to do because of the level of violence in this world.    When it comes to fictional things, that's a different story. I love stuff like Transformers, superhero movies, and other similar things that are just completely over the top. But for me it loses any and all sense of happiness and fun when it involves real life.

There is a difference between real violence and staged violence no doubt . . . but only in how it looks and how it happens. Not why it happens. Survival for some, such as yourself, but others fight for a higher cause, no different than the Autobots who fight for the freedom of all sentient life. The only difference is that, unfortunately, it's far easier to kill a flesh and blood human than a titan of living steel. Thus, they need equipment like this to fight and stay alive.

This stuff can be fun too you know? Do I plan or even hope to use any of my Kung Fu training, empty handed or armed for it's intended purpose? Hell no! Doesn't mean the training isn't enjoyable and going through my staff and knife forms is even how I relax sometimes.

And as for my respected military bronies, I'm sure at least some can attest that firing their rifles and other weapons at the range is an activity they enjoy. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Once again, to try with increasing difficulty to keep this on topic:

Basically anything in the way of APCs

sig-4108918.300px-Stryker_ICV_front_q.jp

Yeah pretty pedestrian compared to some other vehicles mentioned but they've always had something of a niche appeal to me. Just seeing some Rangers or other disciplined infantry unit pour out of them I always find a nice visual shorthand for military discipline.

Plus it beats walking completely exposed.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

Basically anything in the way of APCs

Yeah pretty pedestrian compared to some other vehicles mentioned but they've always had something of a niche appeal to me. Just seeing some Rangers or other disciplined infantry unit pour out of them I always find a nice visual shorthand for military discipline.

I'd certainly agree that APCs are hugely important, with mobility being vital in modern warfare (DISCLAIMER: I have no military experience, so obviously don't cite me as someone who actually knows what they are talking about.)

There was a really good BBC program called "Bullets, Boots and Bandages: How to Really Win at War" which emphasised the importance of transportation and logistics in war and how important the Jeep was in the second world war (apparenty described by one general as "America's biggest contribution to modern warfare" - beating the atomic bomb.) I understand that railways and transport helicopters did much the same thing in WW1 and later conflicts respectively - certainly Afghanistan would have been a very different conflict without transport helicopters.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1

While the chances of having to use weapons is low for most, there are times that some come across and have to do what is necessary for the survival and wellbeing of self and others. I do not know what was the reason you used weapons, perhaps out of self defense, but I believe you, or at least you as of now, know what you're doing.

As for the topic, I would like to turn to the receiving side, and present something that save lives, as oppose to taking them, Kevlar vests.

If you don't mind spending a bit of money and being hot in warm weather, bullet resistant thing like soft body armor is the most passive thing you can wear to save your life. I wear a BAO tactical plate carrier with two AR500 Level 3 plates that weigh about 8.4 pounds each. I would prefer to wear level 4 Kevlar mainly because of how light it is and a bit more comfortable.

Long story short, I recommend Kevlar vest for those who live in bad areas and want to feel a bit safer. If you live in a area with low crime rate there is honestly no reason to be wearing a vest unless you use it for work.

The almighty and always reliable MIL MI-24 HIND HELICOPTER GUNSHIP.

heli_rus_gif_gif_by_nenudjus-d661ibv.gif

tumblr_mvlb67JOeZ1sl27r8o1_400.gif

mi-24-3.jpg

Edited by Guest