Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Firearm/Military technologies discussion

TheSwooceMaster

@@Royce

*Looks in Awe*

So edgy and now, it tells me "I'm Old" but in a way of a old pine wood fart rustling through the air.

--

The Hind can find its roots back to when it was a lacky doing odd jobs here and there before finally deciding to serve in the Army. At this point the hinds life, life was almost golden. He got a part in bay watch and things only got better from that day on.

s5el5dtqhf3tkzzapjme.jpg

After his Gig as a Coast Guard, he thought he could move on to better pastures. The Hind wanted more meaning in life, he had fought in a war and serves a noble and humbling profession afterwards. His routers were not what they used to be and he needed to find a job he could retire into comfortably.

Then it struck him, he needed to have plastic surgery and become a Mi28. It was the only way he would survive the harsh reality he lived. The surgery was risky and could even prove fatal but he went through with it either way. He knew this could be the difference between him having a future and not.

mi_28_4.jpg

The Surgery was a success, he came out looking clean as a whistle. His family hardly noticed him after the surgery. All the female Hinds went crazy for his new appeal. He was once again the state of the art weapon, and he felt damn good about it.

Mr Hind could now serve his country once more for another hundred Years.

Life was once again, good.

Edited by Lunar Echo
  • Brohoof 3

Favorite firearm: AK-74N

Favorite combat vessel:Typhoon or Oscar 

Favorite combat vehicle (ground): T-90A

Favorite combat aircraft: Su-35 Super Flanker

In response to the A-10 Picture.

eI85fRj.png

• Brohoof 3

Oh man! This thread sure took off. I am really happy that all of you are taking part and participating in amazing conversation. You guys are one heck of a bunch! And my apologies if I cannot participate in conversation with you, for I have been extremely busy with college work. Again, I am very happy to know that there are people like myself in this forum who share a pleasure for military technologies and firearms. Hoorah, fellas!

Which is not an inevitability unless every single human on the face of the planet suddenly becomes suicidal.

Look up Colonel Stanislav Petrov. All one needs to ever do to restore their faith in the human race's will to live.

Agreed and again, look up the good Colonel Stanislav Petrov for an uplifting tale of just why we are still here to talk about this.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Also, in an attempt to keep this on-topic, another weapon that I have a fondness for is the M2 Browning.

sig-4108204.M2_-_24th_MEU.jpg

Maybe it's my fondness for turret sections in video games talking, but I always liked mounted weapons and the idea of saying, "well if I MUST use a ballistic weapon I ain't settling for half measures!"

Sorry if that seems like I'm treating your guy's very dangerous and noble jobs as something to make light of, that's not my intention in the slightest.

An excellent choice in heavy machine guns! The M2 is definitely a formidable piece of weaponry. What's even more amazing is its range: 4.5 miles. The M2 also achieved a record-setting long distance kill. The killshot was achieved by Gunnery Sargent Carlos Hatchcock of the USMC's 1st Marine Division in the Vietnam war. The range of the killshot was 2,500 yards (2,286 meters)

Favorite firearm: AK-74N

Favorite combat vessel:Typhoon or Oscar 

Favorite combat vehicle (ground): T-90A

Favorite combat aircraft: Su-35 Super Flanker

In response to the A-10 Picture.

sig-4109848.eI85fRj.png

Oh my god! That was hilarious! Nice meme! Also, very nice list of combat weaponry/vehicles. I see you appreciate Russian/Soviet technology?

• Brohoof 2

The M2 also achieved a record-setting long distance kill. The killshot was achieved by Gunnery Sargent Carlos Hatchcock of the USMC's 1st Marine Division in the Vietnam war. The range of the killshot was 2,500 yards (2,286 meters)

Damn good marine 'ol White Feather. 

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

What's even more amazing is its range: 4.5 miles. The M2 also achieved a record-setting long distance kill. The killshot was achieved by Gunnery Sargent Carlos Hatchcock of the USMC's 1st Marine Division in the Vietnam war. The range of the killshot was 2,500 yards (2,286 meters)

What I find most amusing (insofar as I find ruining symmetry to be amusing) is  about that is how it intrudes in the world record long-distance confirmed sniper kills - you have all of these modern sniper rifles being used in modern wars, then all of a sudden you have a record from 1967 with an M2 Browning machine gun:

post-34886-0-93531300-1443189787_thumb.png

• Brohoof 3

What I find most amusing (insofar as I find ruining symmetry to be amusing) is  about that is how it intrudes in the world record long-distance confirmed sniper kills - you have all of these modern sniper rifles being used in modern wars, then all of a sudden you have a record from 1967 with an M2 Browning machine gun:

attachicon.gifLong Shot.png

F16 Fighter Jets are better than the F-35s :/ But the F-35s are better tailored to our current time.

Happens all the time, we just use our weapons for different services nowadays.

Back in the 60s it was mostly about raw performance, nowadays it's all about making the computer do all the workings. Am sure given time and more progresses in the Space exploration, our computers will get a lot better  than anything we've made so far. Like most new things it'll take time to grow and blossom into a beautiful swan.

Plus most developed countries won't engage one another, they'll sleep safely at night knowing they have bombs of mass destruction as a deterrent. It's all part of this "we're less likely to see war because of what war has brought us" scenarios. Most of the equipment we have today works for our day and age with possible nuclear annihilation in mind. So there is no real need to stockpile huge amounts of raw performance equipment, everything is specialized today. 

Just be grateful we aren't engaging in the same types of war we endured during the First and Second World Wars. A world without the humble peace making Nuke/weapon of Total annihilation. If it stops us developed nations from tearing our selves apart then by all means keep them.

Edited by Lunar Echo
  • Brohoof 2

F16 Fighter Jets are better than the F-35s :/ But the F-35s are better tailored to our current time.

... Not exactly. If the F-35 is 'better tailored to our current time' then by one definition it is the 'better' aircraft (at that point in time.) Although one could argue that since the F-16 is much cheaper, it is actually better tailored to our current situation since for operations against IS (and similar) since having a large number of cheap aircraft to strike targets gives you more options than a small number of advanced and stealthy aircraft (which don't actually need to hide.) And I would like to see how you support your claim that the F-16 is better (other than "it is fully developed and can actually fly" which is true but not terribly informative.)

Just be grateful we aren't engaging in the same types of war we endured during the First and Second World Wars. A world without the humble peace making Nuke/weapon of Total annihilation. If it stops us developed nations from tearing our selves apart then by all means keep them.

Don't be so sure that the nature of warfare has fundamentally changed. If a protracted guerrilla war by poorly-armed forces against a modern western occupying army sounds like a modern occurrence, it could describe the Second Boer War just as well as the War in Afghanistan. We still have the potential for 'conventional' total war between two nuclear-armed states. That said, I agree that nuclear weapons are a very useful deterrent (mainly against other nuclear weapons) - but conventional forces still need to be able to beat their competitors (although what advantages they use to achieve this varies greatly.)

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with that comment, as I agree with most of it  - with the exception that I understand raw performance to have improved since the '60s, although what Western forces have been focusing on since the Gulf War in particular is intelligence.

• Brohoof 4

... Not exactly. If the F-35 is 'better tailored to our current time' then by one definition it is the 'better' aircraft (at that point in time.) Although one could argue that since the F-16 is much cheaper, it is actually better tailored to our current situation since for operations against IS (and similar) since having a large number of cheap aircraft to strike targets gives you more options than a small number of advanced and stealthy aircraft (which don't actually need to hide.) And I would like to see how you support your claim that the F-16 is better (other than "it is fully developed and can actually fly" which is true but not terribly informative.)

Am sure the F-35 is a great Air Craft, most pilots that have flown it have said it's a superb Air Craft. The only people to disagree was mostly Russian News Reports and other countries that have beef with the USA. It would seem the F-35 is becoming a Staple Mark for what the West looks like and how it's dominated. For me it just looks like we're furthering this idea of WORLD FACTIONS and a further divided Earth. 

Don't be so sure that the nature of warfare has fundamentally changed. If a protracted guerrilla war by poorly-armed forces against a modern western occupying army sounds like a modern occurrence, it could describe the Second Boer War just as well as the War in Afghanistan. We still have the potential for 'conventional' total war between two nuclear-armed states. That said, I agree that nuclear weapons are a very useful deterrent (mainly against other nuclear weapons) - but conventional forces still need to be able to beat their competitors (although what advantages they use to achieve this varies greatly.)

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with that comment, as I agree with most of it  - with the exception that I understand raw performance to have improved since the '60s, although what Western forces have been focusing on since the Gulf War in particular is intelligence.

I just don't see any developed nations with nukes are going to ground to ground combat with one another. They may do it in a Proxy war setting but not in a full scale setting. If it were to be then it would be highly unrealistic, I'd probably deny it ever happened if it even did happen. Lets just hope we can still recover relations with Russia once again.

China, China are naughty. 

I have used knives, guns, and other weapons before and the only thing I feel about it is sadness and regret. All I can do is hope that I'll never, ever be in a situation where I have to use such things on anyone.

Why would you do something that make you sad??   Also I not being a hater or anything but there seem to be a lot of people on here that kind of don't like weapons. Every time there something about weapons I hear that same things over and over again.

for me it's the A-18, F4 and all these in the pic.  I also like the Oshkosh M-977 heavy expanded mobility tactical and the Kalashnikov PKM.

post-13882-0-33417200-1443214685_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 3

Lets just hope we can still recover relations with Russia once again.

I have hope that such can be achieved. The Russians are not a bad people and they do not wish genocide upon us anymore than we upon them. (On average in both cases.) I mean it was a Russian man that prevented Armageddon after all. (Col. Stanislav Petrov) I am sure some Russian military bronies could attest to this.

China I'm not as sure about. I'm very assured that they will not go to war with the West if only for practical reasons, I'm less sure that they will ever be considered a true ally post Mao though. My friend (and perhaps more) who is from China paints a picture of a country where the people's voice is very quiet and "deviant" protests are hushed just as much by peer pressure as official sanction. Speaking from her descriptions of course, I've never been there.

Why would you do something that make you sad??   Also I not being a hater or anything but there seem to be a lot of people on here that kind of don't like weapons. Every time there something about weapons I hear that same things over and over again.

Oh tell me about it! I've been to a lot of the same threads and it just frustrates me how many people either make some joke post about the party canon, portal gun, or some other inanity and/or say how much they dislike the subject matter.

Then . . . . . WHY POST?!  :angry:  It's not asking you "what are your weapon politics?"

The technology that saw use in WWII was some of my favorite! 

Yeah that stuff was high speed. You could even use a lot of it still today. For the small arms it's a no brainer if you know how they work, but even the tanks and museum battleships remain technically sea worthy should they ever be needed. (I've even seen that used as a plot point in a couple of movies, re-arming WWII material and sending it to fight aliens or what have you.)

• Brohoof 3

Yeah that stuff was high speed. You could even use a lot of it still today. For the small arms it's a no brainer if you know how they work, but even the tanks and museum battleships remain technically sea worthy should they ever be needed. (I've even seen that used as a plot point in a couple of movies, re-arming WWII material and sending it to fight aliens or what have you.)

That's because almost everything made back then was made with endurance and quality in mind. It's why hats and suits made during the "Golden Age" (20's-50s's) still survive today, but most T-shirts made 5 years ago have probably fallen apart in the wash by now. WWII defines the phrase "they don't make 'em like they used to". 

• Brohoof 3

I just don't see any developed nations with nukes are going to ground to ground combat with one another. They may do it in a Proxy war setting but not in a full scale setting. If it were to be then it would be highly unrealistic, I'd probably deny it ever happened if it even did happen. Lets just hope we can still recover relations with Russia once again.   China, China are naughty. 

India and Pakistan had a full shooting war (several actually), despite both being nuclear powers. I think that the most likely cause of war would be brinkmanship pushed too far (Putin and China are both very naughty in that regard - although note that I only take issue with the governments, not the citizens of said countries) and I could talk for ages about this sort of thing, but I fear that I digress from our subject matter.

That's because almost everything made back then was made with endurance and quality in mind. It's why hats and suits made during the "Golden Age" (20's-50s's) still survive today, but most T-shirts made 5 years ago have probably fallen apart in the wash by now. WWII defines the phrase "they don't make 'em like they used to". 

We make durable stuff today - much more durable. Modern military rations can supposedly last for years due to vacuum sealing, and and ceramic armour made today is going to be around for a *very* long time. True, when everything was made of steel there was a certain... solid quality to it, but steel armour (in tanks at least) just wasn't good enough against more modern weapons. Aluminium was lighter when you needed to be fast (and doesn't rust either, so it will last for ages too.) and there was fancy ceramic or ERA armour if you didn't.

Talking of aluminium, here is a tank with a tree on it:

post-34886-0-81750800-1443217512_thumb.png

Specifically, a FV107 Scimitar (I think. Or possibly a seriously up-gunned molehill) which I have always had a soft spot for - the idea of recon tanks that can move stealthily behind enemy lines but still have the power to destroy unsuspecting targets appeals to me. And with the water boiler that is included in every British tank, it is possible to have a nice cup of tea whilst doing all of the above, which is very civilised.

• Brohoof 2

Technically, no. "Military grade" today is actually less quality than "military grade" of 70 years ago. In fact, most civilian fire arms today are of better make than their military equivalents. 

Technically, no. "Military grade" today is actually less quality than "military grade" of 70 years ago. In fact, most civilian fire arms today are of better make than their military equivalents. 

It really depends what you are specifically talking about. Modern armoured helmets are far superior to their second world war counterparts, being far lighter for a given level of protection, and modern jets could not have been made without the huge advances in material sciences that we have made since the '50s (that's it, really - our 'science' is just so much better than it was, and we can do far more.) Firearms I can't comment on, as I really know very little about them.

• Brohoof 2

The jets in the 50's would not have been made possible without the jet of the 40's. The only jet, to be precise. Nazi Germany developed the first jet fighter, but because it was so much faster than anti-aircraft technology at the time, Hitler saw no more use for it than as an interceptor used for reconnaissance purposes. 

Field testing of a new BMP-3 variant. Unmanned turret with a 57mm gun instead of the 100mm/30mm combination of the previous types.

I would not be surprised if it were to also get ATGM launchers on the sides much like the BMP-2M. Most likely of the Kornet variety. 

tTc8gW5.jpg

aiGGG7Z.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Why would you do something that make you sad??

Because life isn't always about being happy? There are many useful reasons for learning how to work with weapons (self-defense in my case), and I wouldn't have even posted here if I didn't think that was the case.

Oh tell me about it! I've been to a lot of the same threads and it just frustrates me how many people either make some joke post about the party canon, portal gun, or some other inanity and/or say how much they dislike the subject matter.   Then . . . . . WHY POST?!    It's not asking you "what are your weapon politics?"

Calm the hell down, dude. I didn't know you were one to get your jimmies rustled so much over a difference in opinion, because that's all I've seen out of you after I dared to post my differing opinion in this thread. OP didn't say this was a weapon fanclub, he said this was a "weapon discussion," and discussion =/= circlejerk.

Also, I have complete support for people in the military. Life is complicated: I can hate the ideas of things like war and weapons while still recognizing their necessity and inevitability in this world, and the good that can come of them when dealt with in the right ways by the right people.

Calm the hell down, dude. I didn't know you were one to get your jimmies rustled so much over a difference in opinion, because that's all I've seen out of you after I dared to post my differing opinion in this thread. OP didn't say this was a weapon fanclub, he said this was a "weapon discussion," and discussion =/= circlejerk.   Also, I have complete support for people in the military. Life is complicated: I can hate the ideas of things like war and weapons while still recognizing their necessity and inevitability in this world, and the good that can come of them when dealt with in the right ways by the right people.

My statement was not meant as an attack against you and I apologize deeply that it was seen as over the top. The bolded portion of the quote used in description of me honestly shocks and horrifies me that that is how I've been presenting myself. Disgraceful. I've dishonored myself by this act of hypocrisy.

There's truly nothing I can offer apart from my words and assurance to you that I mean them with the utmost sincerity, but I am truly sorry for my hostility.

• Brohoof 1

My statement was not meant as an attack against you and I apologize deeply that it was seen as over the top. The bolded portion of the quote used in description of me honestly shocks and horrifies me that that is how I've been presenting myself. Disgraceful. I've dishonored myself by this act of hypocrisy.

There's truly nothing I can offer apart from my words and assurance to you that I mean them with the utmost sincerity, but I am truly sorry for my hostility.

Well, I'm sorry too. And I forgive you. I probably took what you were saying the wrong way. I just have a lot of friends who are in the military or have family members in the military, and have had that affect their lives in some really negative ways, that I end up pretty defensive about stuff like this. I'm not anti-military by any means, I'm just angry that this world is shitty enough that it fucked up their lives in the ways that it did.

• Brohoof 1

While I am a fan of the development and procurement of precision technology, I am against things which are purposed with killing or maiming. This has long been the conflict between my interest in rocketry and aircraft, and my desire for pacifism. I am not so naiive to think that the world could ever function without war, but I also think that the existence of war only precipitates through either selfishness, or poor communication between groups.

I think Mass Drivers are cool, and am looking forward to their advances, even if their current primary purpose (other than particle accelerators) is for Naval gunnery.

I also hear-tell that large ships in navies are obsolete due to ballistic missiles. One well-placed missile coming straight down on top of a Nimitz carrier would render it inoperative and helpless.

• Brohoof 1

Anyone here own or are a fan of Beretta's most popular 92 series? My favorite pistol out of all of em is the 92SB, it's a compact and has some unique features like a firing pin block. It was designed for trials by the United States Air Force, but hasn't been in production for over 20 years i believe. 

ab8b436aa88a5924695b50ac771ea828.jpg

Second favorite is the 92SF compact Inox 

m9a1compactinox_zoom002.jpg

• Brohoof 3

Anyone here own or are a fan of Beretta's most popular 92 series? My favorite pistol out of all of em is the 92SB, it's a compact and has some unique features like a firing pin block. It was designed for trials by the United States Air Force, but hasn't been in production for over 20 years i believe. 

Second favorite is the 92SF compact Inox 

I do like the M9, great handgun. Isn't the US Army replacing it though? 

I remember reading something that said this. 

Either way, this handgun is still perfectly fit for duty.

It will be sad if they choose something else, berreta is a good company.