Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Friendship Games

WubBeast

I thought it was an amazing movie, as I expected. It didn't let me down in the slightest and I enjoyed it as much as RR. All the girls were great! My only two slight problems with the film are: 1. not quite enough lines for the Shadowbolts (especially Lemon Zest!) however I sort of expected they wouldn't get a whole lot, and 2. the actual sports part of the Games which was so hyped up in the promotional material, only lasted less than 10 minutes. Overall it was awesome, and I can't wait to have the DVD! :D

• Brohoof 2

It's called "Rarity Takes Manehatten", and that bitch that stole (actually Rarity gave it to her, but whatever) is called Suri Polomare. And I'll have to watch again to see if I spot her ( I'm watching again anyway, but I'll look for her this time). I also got Trenderhoof. I'm pretty sure that the one with goggles was Lightning Dust, even had lightning earrings.

She's the one who makes a cake with upper crust during the decathlon.
  • Brohoof 1

The one with goggles was Indigo Zap....who might as well just been Lightning Dust(LD even had a prototype doll :P)

sig-4116706.large.png

Thanks. I didn't really catch all their names.

She's the one who makes a cake with upper crust during the decathlon.

I just saw that on this second watch, and was going to comment that I realized that guy was Upper Crust. Then that got me thinking that most (maybe all) of the Crystal Prep students are based off of minor antagonist characters from the show. So far we have identified: Trenderhoof, Suri, Upper Crust, Lightning Dust, and... Was that one Jet Set? It would make sense since Upper Crust was there. That one sounds like Aria Blaze. Gilda?

• Brohoof 1

Thanks. I didn't really catch all their names.

I just saw that on this second watch, and was going to comment that I realized that guy was Upper Crust. Then that got me thinking that most (maybe all) of the Crystal Prep students are based off of minor antagonist characters from the show. So far we have identified: Trenderhoof, Suri, Upper Crust, Lightning Dust, and... Was that one Jet Set? It would make sense since Upper Crust was there. That one sounds like Aria Blaze. Gilda?

yes, the guy with glasses is Jet Set.

Just saw the movie and I SWEAR TO CELESTIA that the Friendship Games is seriously the best out of the entire EqG trilogy, and Crystal Prep Twilight Sparkle (or Sci-Twi as everyone likes to call her) is now my new favourite character! Aside from the Pinkie Pie jokes (sorry, Pinkie, I still find you a little annoying in this), when this movie made a joke, it was so amusing and hilarious! The songs were top notch even for My Little Pony standards (even for teen movie standards (even for Equestria Girls standards)), the animation was outstanding for something made in a combo of Flash and possibly After Effects and I loved just about every single moment of the film... If there is anything I dislike about the Friendship Games, though, it'd have to be the behaviour of the Crystal Prep students during the first and second acts (at least they became more likeable around the end), and I seriously do not like when EqG does the whole She-Demon thing like in the first movie.

• Brohoof 3

I enjoyed this flim, loved it. Was little hyper when hearing some background humans speaking specially one with purple pig tail hair with long skirt. All I can say about the flim, it's fantastic. Also, knew Human Twilight would join Canterlot high. It good Shadowbolts started get long with Canterlot High students.

Edited by Adam Burt

I was very presently surprised when watching this. That doesn't mean it was great or anything, personally I think Rainbow Rocks is still the better movie of the 3, but it still enjoyed this movie :D

Only disappointing thing for me is the music wasn't as good as the other 2 movies, no song from it has been in my head since I watched it :l

Just saw it on Youtube and thought it was quite good! Maybe not as good as Rainbow Rocks, but still leagues ahead of the first Equestria Girls movie. Is it just me, or is Human World Twilight actually quite a bit more interesting than her Equestrian counterpart? She kind of reminds me of Moondancer combined with first season Twilight, but even shyer and more adorkable than both. Glad she is sticking around Canterlot High!

Also cool to see Shining Armor and Cadence pop up in the human world, although I found their designs slightly jarring.(Candace's lipstick was especially weird looking, I thought).

As for the other new characters, they didn't stand out as much as Twilight, but weren't bad. Principal Cinch reminds me a bit of the Dean from Monsters University, but I wasn't a fan of how she rolled her r's all the time. I did really enjoy Sour Sweet (?) and Sugarcoat, though. Both of them were as one-dimensional as their names implied, but they were still fun characters, IMO, and I wouldn't mind seeing them in Equestria sometime.

I sorta liked the rivalry between the two schools, as it reminds me somewhat of my student teaching experience. I student teach at the "poorer" school, Great Falls High, and there is a pretty big rivalry between GFH and the "preppy" school, CM Russell.

I also liked Sunset Shimmer going back to her Mean Girl ways for a bit and yelling at Twilight. Of course, the final battle with Midnight Sparkle (did they refer to her as that in the actual movie or is it just a fan name?) was awesome as well. Thought Sunset Shimmer's new form was kind of dumb looking, though. Evil Twilight, on the other hand, was possibly the coolest looking design in the Equestria Girls movies so far.

Also, I guess Human Rarity is prone to fainting just like Pony Rarity. Lol.

Edited by Carolina

The part where Twilight becomes evil basically just became an Anime.

The Sunset Shimmer vs Twilight Sparkle was really awesome. Twilight's villain design was just so badass and then Sunset Shimmers Golden Phoenix Design. A beautiful angel by god.

This angle really blew me away:

sig-4116450.z2LCWoY.png

This angle= Anime. Never seen before in these movies with the beautiful white backround, basically heaven like.

The way Sunset approached Twilight saying "Take my hand Twilight, Let me show you there's another way". To me religiously, Sunset is one of Gods precious angels. Giving her a second chance at life the right way just like she had.

I did2 care for MidSpark, but I loved that angle! and the quality in that scene looked almost like anime style

This movie was totally AMAZING from the animation, songs, characters, etc. The transformation of sunset and twilight was so cool I really loved their designs (especially midnight sparkles). It kinda did the same thing in the first Equestria Girls focusing on twilight mostly which I did like but kinda hoped the shadowbolts got a little more screen time

The ending was the only thing that stuck out to me the most like the shadowbolts turned good 0 to 100 real quick, the principal of crystal prep (forgot her name) wasn't as good of an antagonist as the dazzlings, finally now that the pony twilight saw the human world twilight what does this mean?

I'm pretty sure there is a fourth movie coming out called "Legends of Everfree" but what will happen with cadence, the shadowbolts, crystal preps principal, we already know human twilight is staying at canterlot high but then what happens with pony twilight? I don't know we'll just have to wait and see what Hasbro will do with Equestria Girls and the next movie.

Howdy folks!

Just saw the movie and GREAT GALACTIC GALAXIES IT WAS SUPER AWESOME!! :yay:

Once again Daniel Ingram is DA MAN of music and he doesn't miss a beat in songs from the movie.

Rebecca Soichet as Sunset Shimmer was excellent

Tara Strong as Human Twilight (AKA Sci-Twi)

Sounded pretty good.

The rest of the humane 5 did great in their performances.

Cathy Wessluck as Spike what can I say shes adorable as puppy Spike.

(especially the scene when she first speaks to SciTwi it was hilarious)

I was like OH MY GOSH :wub:  when I heard Britt McKilip as Dean Cadence (Woulda kicked mucho butt if she sung in the move but she didn't)

Glad Andrew Francis made a cameo as Shining Armor

(Complete with him saying Twiley!! :lol: )

But man Iris Quinn as Principal Abacus Cinch sure sounded strict up the wazoo. 

And it showed in the film.

Great performance as well.

Liked the Shadow bolt girls as well.

Sienna Bohn as Sugarcoat

Kelly Sheridan as Indigo Zap

Sharon Alexander as Sour Sweet

Shannon Chan Kent as Lemon Tart.

Sci Twil with her PKE Meter from Ghostbusters was a nice touch inspecting CHS fer magical properties.

My goodness the Sci Twi transformation to Midnight Sparkle scared the beejeebers outta me.

Glad Sunset Set her straight (Much like Princess Twilight did to her in the first EG Film)

And WOW when I saw the new look Sunset.

I swear its like watching Dragon Ball Z or Madoka Magica.

If its not Rebecca's best performance as Sunset Shimmer dunno what is.

Cant wait to get the DVD fer this.

Well worth it.

I don't know what to make of Friendship Games. My inner Dazzling fan tells me this doesn't top how great Rainbow Rocks was. I still enjoyed the movie and I did find it action packed, but I feel like there was something missing in this movie, I just can't put my finger on it.

The characters were enjoyable as always. Sunset is still awesome, I could feel her stress of keeping magic out of the games, but I was surprised and confused at the end when she turned into what looked like a alicorn goddess. Sci-Twilight was... okay. Here's another character representing Equestrian Twilight before she moved to Ponyville and ive forgotten the reason why she was studying Canterlot High and take the Equestrian Magic there and i feel her Midnight Sparkle form completely changed her character out of nowhere, she didnt want to cause any harm but now she suddenly DOES want to cause harm? I also think the Shadow 5 were given less character growth as the Dazzlings did. The movie was focusing more on Sci-Twi, Principal Cinch and Dean Cadence when it could've been focusing more on characters that appeared more in the advertising than Principal Cinch did

post-31321-0-43458000-1443394993_thumb.jpg

I liked the songs in this movie. Some of them weren't as good as the songs from Rainbow Rocks, I mean Unleash the Magic was epic as hell, but the songs were enjoyable enough.

The story was really interesting and exciting. Seeing elements from Equestria suddenly invading Canterlot High was really epic. I liked the moral where you can't always rely on someone like Twilight to help you or give you advice in every situation.

The movie was good, but (to me) not as great as Rainbow Rocks.

• Brohoof 3

The part where Twilight becomes evil basically just became an Anime.

The Sunset Shimmer vs Twilight Sparkle was really awesome. Twilight's villain design was just so badass and then Sunset Shimmers Golden Phoenix Design. A beautiful angel by god.

This angle really blew me away:

sig-4116450.z2LCWoY.png

This angle= Anime. Never seen before in these movies with the beautiful white backround, basically heaven like.

The way Sunset approached Twilight saying "Take my hand Twilight, Let me show you there's another way". To me religiously, Sunset is one of Gods precious angels. Giving her a second chance at life the right way just like she had.

I don't want us to forget about the background music~! ^~^  :wub:  :wub:  :pinkie:  :pinkie:  :pinkie:;) <3 

Edited by Simonsuo ^.^

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as great as Rainbow Rocks. The movie's biggest weakness were the villains and their motives. Not only were they weak and forgettable, but their motives were weak as well.

On the other hand, the climax involving SciTwilght was unexpected. The animation has gotten better by leaps and bounds since the last movie and is at its best yet.

One thing I want to say is that EG is definitely Sunset Shimmer focused instead of the other characters. I do like the lesson she gave to SciTwi and her additional character development. I was really really hope she'd go through the portal and back to Equestrian, but alas that did not happen. Curse you, writers teasing us. Personally I hope she makes an appearance in the regular series in the near future.

With all this being said, it's hard to imagine where EG is going to go next. It felt like the ending completed an arc and everything has come full circle.

Edited by Kevin
  • Brohoof 2

Strong points: Sunny showed a stronger character than the last movie, a stronger involvement of magic, Twi's believable development in such a short length, both Midnight and "goddess Suny" designs,  Twi's uninterested  in Flashy  is like fixing a flaw in the flashlight fic despite I accepting it (pony Twi having a crush on him right away), and the songs were amazing, specially "Unleash the Magic"

Bad points: The final battle was: a punch, a kamehameha clash, and presto. Too little screentime for the Shadowbolts despite being so heavily promoted in the toys (I don't get why we didn't had more shorts before the movie. Guess we have to wait for the deleted scenes). And Principal Cinch made herself a better EG villain than Sunny, she's a more one dimensional: My reputation and I'll use my students to keep and being a complete "douchah" made her fall short to the Sirens, who were more entertaining despite less screentime

I did like the movie: but it kinda falls short with Rainbow Rocks overall

The visuals here are among the best of the three movies, particularly in character animation and shot composition, even despite the limited exposure to Equestria and magic relative to the other two. However, that's a given seeing as how they developed so much over the timeframe they had, also with the shorts in addition to the main movies that allow the animators to visually and creatively experiment more with the characters.

However, this episode feels like a heavy retread of everything EqG1 did, and the movie was very upfront about that in the climax. There is a connection to Twilight's desire to come out of her shell and impatience in doing so, however this has been the focus of so many episodes, particularly focusing on Twilight, other characters such as Nightmare Moon and the Crusaders, and particularly foils such as Sunset Shimmer herself in the first movie. Although it may be somewhat satisfying to come full-circle, the movie really doesn't do anything new with it.

Crystal Prep as the villains were very standard for the plot as it called for them. Again, it really goes back to this movie being structurally similar to EqG1, in that a typical high school drama plot is infused with a "hook" involving Equestrian magic.

The first act was loaded with exposition, and the ReMane 5 once again reminding us what their personalities are, absolutely destroying the "show, don't tell" rule. The Crystal Prep students really could have been characterized much better; in fact one noticeable difference between the Sirens and Crystal Prep was that the latter was almost entirely devoid of comic relief and personality variation aside from the principal, Soury Sweet, and Sugarcoat. Particularly, Lemon Zest and Indigo Zap didn't really have more than a couple of lines in this film. Pegging one or both of them as the Sonata Dusk of this film, while it would not have saved the villains from being overtly typical, would definitely have spiced up the dialogue and made that part of the film more enjoyable. However, all of that potential seems to have disappeared after the first act ended.

Between the used-again storyline and the missed opportunities, this film didn't really recapture the characterization and plot progression that made Rainbow Rocks go from the dreaded "unnecessary cash-in sequel" to something that many feel genuinely bettered the original, changed Sunset Shimmer from one of the fandom's more apathetic characters to an absolute favorite, and cemented the Sirens as some of the most memorable villains of this franchise, instead opting to copy the more pedestrian aspects of the first film.

But at least the visuals were good.

• Brohoof 1

The visuals here are among the best of the three movies, particularly in character animation and shot composition, even despite the limited exposure to Equestria and magic relative to the other two. However, that's a given seeing as how they developed so much over the timeframe they had, also with the shorts in addition to the main movies that allow the animators to visually and creatively experiment more with the characters.

However, this episode feels like a heavy retread of everything EqG1 did, and the movie was very upfront about that in the climax. There is a connection to Twilight's desire to come out of her shell and impatience in doing so, however this has been the focus of so many episodes, particularly focusing on Twilight, other characters such as Nightmare Moon and the Crusaders, and particularly foils such as Sunset Shimmer herself in the first movie. Although it may be somewhat satisfying to come full-circle, the movie really doesn't do anything new with it.

Crystal Prep as the villains were very standard for the plot as it called for them. Again, it really goes back to this movie being structurally similar to EqG1, in that a typical high school drama plot is infused with a "hook" involving Equestrian magic.

The first act was loaded with exposition, and the ReMane 5 once again reminding us what their personalities are, absolutely destroying the "show, don't tell" rule. The Crystal Prep students really could have been characterized much better; in fact one noticeable difference between the Sirens and Crystal Prep was that the latter was almost entirely devoid of comic relief and personality variation aside from the principal, Soury Sweet, and Sugarcoat. Particularly, Lemon Zest and Indigo Zap didn't really have more than a couple of lines in this film. Pegging one or both of them as the Sonata Dusk of this film, while it would not have saved the villains from being overtly typical, would definitely have spiced up the dialogue and made that part of the film more enjoyable. However, all of that potential seems to have disappeared after the first act ended.

Between the used-again storyline and the missed opportunities, this film didn't really recapture the characterization and plot progression that made Rainbow Rocks go from the dreaded "unnecessary cash-in sequel" to something that many feel genuinely bettered the original, changed Sunset Shimmer from one of the fandom's more apathetic characters to an absolute favorite, and cemented the Sirens as some of the most memorable villains of this franchise, instead opting to copy the more pedestrian aspects of the first film.

But at least the visuals were good.

Yeah I can agree Twilight's motives once she became corrupt didn't really match with her whole desire to wanting to learn new things, it seemed very much like Sunset in the first movie minus being a mean girl.

I enjoyed it, it wasn't quite on par with Rainbow rocks but I enjoyed it. The villain, specifically the principle, while serviceable for the plot wasn't quite as impressive or engaging as the Dazzlings were. another weak point for me was Human Twilight's transformation into the dark alicorn thing. I love her look don't get me wrong, and it was executed better than when Sunset did it in the first movie, but it still felt WAY too rushed. She was frankly way too nice to have such a violent change, I would of preferred her change to the dark side be foreshadowed a little more. It wouldn't have to be her being evil per say, just that her quest for knowledge was getting the better of her, and the amulet ended up being like the Ring from LOTRs.

989564__safe_twilight+sparkle_equestria+  Still, Gotta say Hume Twi wore the evil monster look a lot better than Sunset did.

I seriously like the EG series because it introduces a whole new set of possibilities for the plot developments within MLP Friendship is Magic but here is my take on Friendship Games.

Pros:

• The hype- I got all hyped up after RR and the constant promos, previews and shorts certainly made me watch it right after it was released :lol:
  • The visuals- The visuals in Friendship Games has improved a lot to say the least as character animation and shots were more fluid and lifelike.
  • The humane six (plus one)- I think the development of the humane six and Sunset Shimmer was very interesting as the human Twilight has her own distinct character which differs from Princess Twilight. Also if there is a fourth movie, I think if the writers explore the complications created by two Twilights that would be very interesting. :twi:
  • Songs- All the songs have a catchy tune (except What More is Out There?) and elevates the mood of the movie.
  • The references- There are quite a lot of references to the mane series such as Princess Cadence and Shining Armor which is exciting to watch

Cons:

• (a bit of) Spoilers- All the promos, previews and shorts may have ruined and spoiled a bit of the movie by revealing quite a lot of the main plot
  • The predictability- There was a lot of cliched moments (mostly at the end) which were cringe worthy
  • Character Development- Most of the characters at Crystal Prep didn't really develop an unique personality throughout the movie. Suddenly at the end they turn on Principal Cinch near the end
  • The Villain- Principal Cinch's character was quite one dimensional as all she wanted was reputation and doesn't compare with the evilness of Sunset Shimmer in EG and the Dazzlings in RR
  • The pacing- I think the starting part dragged on quite long until the games actually begin and there is not a lot of action happening.
  • The ending- I think the ending is quite similar to the first EG movie. Although this helps bring the whole thing full circle, it was a bit sudden and not as good as RR

Conclusion:

Friendship Games is a fairly decent movie that ties in very well with the last one. Although it was not as good as RR, it still lived up to my expectations.

8.3/10  :muffins:

Friendship Games was a great movie. Not as good as its predecessor Rainbow Rocks, but that's asking a lot. This was a worthy sequel to the ever increasing in quality Equestria Girls movies.

First things first, you have to give props to Sunset Shimmer, she really has come around as a fantastic and respectable character. She's had terrific development and did a great job taking over as the lead in the movie.

Visually, this was probably the best looking Equestria Girls movie. The character designs, expressions, faces, and movements looked excellent. The "Shadow 5" as they're being called, all looked great. It seems that all villains in Equestria Girls are dead sexy. Seriously, am I the only one who notices this? It's one of the reasons why I always looked forward to another movie. They're designs weren't on par with the excellent Siren designs, but I liked them a lot. And for emphasis, THEY WERE SO SEXY. Also, She-demon Twilight looked so great.

Musically, I think Rainbow Rocks was too hard of a follow up. I mean, the movie was based around music and it contained arguably the best music from the My Little Pony franchise. Not to say Friendship Games was by any means bad. I enjoyed its soundtrack, it was good, but not great. It was more used for the plot rather than for the sake of being music. Pep Rally Song and Acadeca were the clear stand outs.

Plot wise I think it was stellar. Everything kind of came full circle with this. I loved the twist of Twilight turning into a she-demon and then Sunset subsequently turning into a human-alicorn. It really shows how much Sunset has grown in the past 3 movies. It's a great emotional pay off. Twilight's device  of gathering magic was an interesting device, I think it did a good job of really building tension through the film. I've only watched the movie once, but I really didn't see any inconsistencies or anything. Twilight being black-mailed was surprisingly serious for a kids movie, that Principle Cinch was a serious bitch.

A while ago in some thread I had mentioned something about Twilight possibly tampering with the magic and causing a rift between dimensions. Seems I was right. I liked the idea, because plot wise, that seemed to be what the story was heading towards. I'm actually surprised there were literally zero ponies in the movie. I thought sometimes we'd go to Equestria and ponies were noticing some weird things happening, and Twilight investigates and yadda yadda, then the final fight happens and Sunset and Twilight(pony) fix things together. But seeing how it played out, I'm actually glad I was wrong as I was watching it. Seeing Sunset overcome this obstacle on her own really fleshes out the character. I did think it was really cute at the end how Pony Twilight eventually came,but was having "space time" issues. I thought that was funny.

The characters themselves were pretty good, obviously Sunset Shimmer leads the way. The other 5 really didn't have to go through much development because this clearly seemed more like a Sunset focused movie, which is fine. On the other side, the Shadow 5 hardly got any screen time or dialog which is unfortunate to say the least. Villains are always fun, and I thought they did a fantastic job in Rainbow Rocks with the Dazzlings. But in this movie, the villains really didn't get any spotlight to develop or anything. I'd like to see more of them, but I feel as they won't be as fun if they aren't "bad". I liked Twilight here even though some didn't. She was super cute and innocent. I love her hair in a bun too.

All in all, an enjoyable and fun movie that is a very welcome edition to the My Little  Pony franchise. I'll certainly be buying this on blu-ray when it comes out so we can see an actual theatrical version. It's such a shame this didn't go to theaters.

I give it an 8/10.

Edited by takai

All I can say is that I wished at the very end it had flashed to Princess Celestia at the end just sorta smiling and nodding her head in Equestria as the last of the portal-thingies closed (knowing that her previous star-pupil had truly come full circle). I did like the cameo by pony-twilight tho :)