Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

double rainboom pony puppets, does anyone know the sounds for the mouth frames?

Fluttershyponygal

I'm asking becuase i've been working with the puppets in flash and I'mn banging my head on the wall trying to figure out what sounds are for what frames!

I know they use 11 frames for happy, not happy, and mad but idk what sounds are for each frame!

If someone, ANYONE can shed some insight on this, I would be FOREVER greateful!

I've done google searches like mad for lip sync reference but NONE of them come close to looking like any of the frames!

I've even tried messaging the maker of the puppets themselves but they have gone missing it seems.

Edited by Fluttershyponygal

Hello @Fluttershyponygal,

As you're seeking assistance and help regarding Flash, I have moved your topic to a more appropriate section -- Video & Animation Help.

-----

Hmm, are you referring to lip reading? Lip reading is about figuring out what sounds a person or character makes based on the movements of their lips. I do remember coming across a tutorial regarding what Flash frames are used for what noise a pony makes, but I can't seem to find it yet. I'll let you know as soon as possible if I do find it, however.

Wonderful, some help regarding this asap would be awesome.

I've been banging my head aginst the wall trying to understand the lip flap sounds and its annoying the living hell out of me that after god knows how many google searches, not one single lip sync reference for this thing exists

And of course this thread is going to be buried in 5 hours time at which point anyone who might know or help me will never see this thread...freaking great.... :unamused:

bumping for the sake of trying to get some much needed help

Having a look at the images, it doesn't seem like there's much sense in them having set sounds. Few seem to be applicable to a single sound, and they primarily are more like the motions between sounds. Save for harsh sounds ('o' vs 'e', etc) multiple pieces can fit multiple sounds in phrases. My best suggestion is just sounding out the words/letters, and then seeing what sets fit with them. I think that, if they were tailored to very specific sounds, they'd be written in the puppets themselves.

Test.png

For the sake of my sanity though, could you please label the main sounding ones to which letters of the alpabet they would sound like?

I exported the mouth frames here. If they are in beween frames or whatever the case may be, plz label those.^^;

I need some kind of reference if i want a hope in hell of lipsyncing properly.

• Brohoof 1

@@Fluttershyponygal, take a look at this YouTube video below. I think you will find all your answers there.

BTW I see you exported these mouth shapes as an image.

Is there any way you could export the assets for me as multi-layer SVG vectors as well?

I don't have Flash and I don't have any way to use it (I'm on Linux), but if I got SVG vectors, I could use them in my open-source software.

@@Treelestia, are you sure about this?

For the Double Rainboom team to be able to "steal" the assets from DHX (althought I don't agree that "stealing" is the right word to use here, since DHX still has their assets, nothing was taken from them; "copied" would be a better word), they would need to somehow have access to DHX's puppets to begin with. And from what I know, Zachary Rich and his team had Hasbro's permission to make his movie and they cooperated for some time. I suppose it included DHX giving them advices and sharing their expertise, and perhaps also the access to their assets to "learn from".

But then, after the video has been released, from some unexplained reasons Zach decided to fold his business and remove all the MLP-related content from their website, disrespecting all the work done by other people from his team. Why would he want to do such thing if Hasbro weren't against him? The only possible explanation for me is that Hasbro figured out that this animation is done dangerously well, so they revoked their permission for Zach's team and sent them a "silent" Cease & Desist letter. That is, a letter in which they forced him by law to not disclosing to the public that he's got a C&D. From what I remember, several C&D letters from Hasbro already contained such non-disclosure enforcement, and we know about that just because the receivers deliberately disagreed to comply to it.

Which, automatically, would make the assets "stolen" (as you put it), because despite they had Hasbro's agreement to use them in production, the agreement has been revoked, which means they were used without permission.

One could argue that the permission was valid during production, so they had right to use these assets. But it doesn't automatically allow them to continue publishing the end result which has been produced from these assets if Hasbro revoked their permission. This would explain why the video and all the related assets has been removed – Zach's team simply didn't have permission to use them anymore, in these parts part in which DHX helped them with it.

Keep in mind, though, that it is just my speculation. I don't have any proofs to back it up, and I guess it would be hard to get any proofs for such thing.

Edited by SasQ

This should help, Preston Blair's guide to lip-sync:

tumblr_inline_mfqetohdji1qix8ij.gif

But stuff like this is also context-sensitive.  The R sound is one that I found often differs from what's here.  A strong R will be closer to the U mouth but still with the clenched teeth of the R mouth.

Also, try to hit the proper mouth shapes about 2 frames before the corresponding sounds.

Edited by ErBoi
  • Brohoof 1

@@Treelestia, are you sure about this?

*snip*

From what i've read, someone at DHX leaked resources from the actual show:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/06/the-official-mlp-flash-asset-leak-and.html?m=1

The DR team submitted their own fan-made puppets and got them approved, but switched them out later for some of the DHX assets for the actual animation.

Again, this is just what I read on the internet, so do with this information as you will.

Thanks for your sources, @@Treelestia, I can take it from here.

@@ErBoi, these images are already in the video I attached, but thanks for posting them anyway, your version is a bit more complete (all with these texts). In the video, though, there is a direct translation of these mouth shapes into pony muzzles.

Edited by SasQ