Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About tomorrow's (9\26) line up on Discovery Family

colt .45

This is about tomorrow's (September, 26) line up of MLP on Discovery Family. I know a lot of members here don't watch MLP on Discovery Family channel for various reasons, so if that is your situation then this thread will be of little interest to you.

For those that do watch, I found this interesting. According to Discovery Family Channels website tomorrow's line up is:

10:00am- 9:30pm - MLP mare-a-thon

10:00am - "Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep?"

10:30am - "Power Ponies"

11:00am - "Rarity Investigates!"

11:30am - "Made in Manehatten" (*new episode)

12:00pm - "My Little Pony : Equestria Girls"

1:30pm - "My Little Pony :Equestria Girls Rainbow Rocks"

3:00pm - "My Little Pony/ Runaway Rainbow" (*G3 movie)

4:00pm - "My Little Pony/ Princess Promenade" (G3 movie)

5:00pm - "My Little Pony : Equestria Girls"

6:30pm - "My Little Pony :Equestria Girls Rainbow Rocks"

8:00pm - "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Friendship Games"

(Note all times are EDT)

So, the first thing I find it odd that they replaced "Strawberry Cinnamon Cilantro" (S5Ep14) with "Power Ponies"(S4Ep6). Admittedly, "Strawberry Cinnamon Cilantro" isn't the best episode of the season ("it's about as good as it sounds"), but to break continuity and air a season four episode (also, not a very good episode)in its place, why?!?

They usually air previous episodes chronologically, up to the new episode that premieres at eleven and a half am. That two hour block is always in the current season for as long as I can remember. SCC wasn't great, but it wasn't so bad as to change formula and replace it with an equally mediocre season four episode. Maybe they just didn't want an hour and a half of Rarity focused episodes. Would that have seemed too much like a Rarity movie?

Next up: Runaway Rainbow and Princess Promenade. Stop it with the G3 already! We get it nostalgia and all that, but this has to be like the fourth time this year that they have aired these two "movies" (actually direct to VHS/DVD hour long episodes). Yes, we get it. They feature some of the voice actresses and pony names used in Friendship is Magic. The only reason I can see for them to air this is to show how much better the current generation is by comparison. If they really want to go all nostalgia on us why not air some G1? The ones with Tirek and Smooze come to mind. Show some real roots. Those also had Apple Jack in them. They even had a human girl named Megan in them, we could pretend that was Mc Carthey as a cartoon child in the eighties. Likely reason is because it is owned by the network it aired on as opposed to being owned by Hasbro (as G3 is). Anyway, it was kinda cool to see the G3 stuff once for nostalgia, but it dose'nt warrant repeated viewing. Throw some G1 in, Disco Fam! ...rant over.

Last thing. Whenever they have premiered any of the other Equestria Girls movies on Hub/Discovery Family it has aired at noon on Saturday right after the two hour morning block of MLP FIM. However, tomorrow, Equestria Girls Friendship Games will not air until eight pm. The big difference between the other Equestria Girls movies and Friendship Games is A.) The other movies were theatrical releases. Which is disappointing that Friendship Games was not. I saw Rainbow Rocks on a big screen with theatrical sound, and it was awesome! I was looking foreword to seeing this one in a theater as well but...

B.) The other two movies didn't air in the middle of a currently running season. So there's that to consider. I guess the fact that Friendship Games wasn't released as a theatrical movie has something to do with Disco FAM premiering it in their Saturday Family Film Night time slot, as they want to generate ratings in a prime time time slot.

Anyway, anybody have any thoughts about any of this?

• Brohoof 2

Would anyone be surprised if Friendship Games gets better ratings than the new MLP episode?

I doubt it. 

Considering how Friendship Games seems to focus on Rainbow rather than the other mane six, and the episode is about the least popular mane six ponies, I would be surprised if Made in Manehattan gets a better rating. Yes, Friendship Games focuses on Rainbow Dash more than the others four. Sunset Shimmer and human Twilight may have more focus, but so far, it seems like a Rainbow Dash movie. Rainbow > Rarity and Applejack (to most bronies) So Friendship Games > Made in Manehattan.

• Brohoof 1

I doubt it. 

Considering how Friendship Games seems to focus on Rainbow rather than the other mane six, and the episode is about the least popular mane six ponies, I would be surprised if Made in Manehattan gets a better rating. Yes, Friendship Games focuses on Rainbow Dash more than the others four. Sunset Shimmer and human Twilight may have more focus, but so far, it seems like a Rainbow Dash movie. Rainbow > Rarity and Applejack (to most bronies) So Friendship Games > Made in Manehattan.

Rarity and Applejack are the least popular of the Mane Six? Since when is Rarity unpopular?

• Brohoof 1

They probably replaced Canterlot Boutique because they didn't want to have their entire morning be Rarity episodes, so they hyped it up with Power Ponies. Now your line up is:

1) Princess Luna

2) Ponies as comic book heroes

3) Sexy crime fiction Rarity

4) new episode

At this point, they want the audience to be like "AWW MAN I'M SO HYPED! A FULL DAY OF SMALL HROSIES!!!11"

Then, they enter the final stretch by showing the movies leading up to Friendship Games

1) Equestria Girls - BAM! 1st movie out the gate. Sets the tone for the next movies to surely follow.....

2) G3 crap

3) G3 crap

Talk about grinding the hype train to a complete halt. Maybe they can show a half hour of dead cats next...

2) Rainbow Rocks - Whoa, wait....why didn't you show the G3 crap before EQG1, so we could follow the story unbroken?

Then finally it's Friendship Games. What the hell are they doing over there? They go out of their way to build hype, only to collapse it all with G3 hippo horses, just to build it up again....

• Brohoof 2

They probably replaced Canterlot Boutique because they didn't want to have their entire morning be Rarity episodes, so they hyped it up with Power Ponies. Now your line up is:

1) Princess Luna

2) Ponies as comic book heroes

3) Sexy crime fiction Rarity

4) new episode

At this point, they want the audience to be like "AWW MAN I'M SO HYPED! A FULL DAY OF SMALL HROSIES!!!11"

Then, they enter the final stretch by showing the movies leading up to Friendship Games

1) Equestria Girls - BAM! 1st movie out the gate. Sets the tone for the next movies to surely follow.....

2) G3 crap

3) G3 crap

Talk about grinding the hype train to a complete halt. Maybe they can show a half hour of dead cats next...

2) Rainbow Rocks - Whoa, wait....why didn't you show the G3 crap before EQG1, so we could follow the story unbroken?

Then finally it's Friendship Games. What the hell are they doing over there? They go out of their way to build hype, only to collapse it all with G3 hippo horses, just to build it up again....

Actually after the G3 crap they start the Equestria Girls trilogy again at five pm (edt) leading up to the new one. Eh, I'll probably just mow the lawn while they're on, or if it rains like its supposed to I'll go to the bar. Hope it dose'nt rain, I really need to mow the lawn, besides, the bar will be all about college football on Saturday. They should just air the G1 movie with Tirek. I only saw that once on you tube like three years ago, and it was in three parts.

I don't think that's the name of the episode. It's "Canterlot Boutique"?

Well I like to call it that. First, because I thought that was the best part of the episode. And second, "Strawberry Cinnamon Cilantro is about as good as it sounds". Not that I dislike it or anything, I just found it sub-par, and a disappointing way to return from the hiatus.

• Brohoof 3

Actually after the G3 crap they start the Equestria Girls trilogy again at five pm (edt) leading up to the new one. 

That makes even less sense. Why did they show it the first time?!!? Fill the slot with something else that'll draw an interested audience in, like a 2 parter, or Slice of Life + Pinkie Pride. The hype train can't take breaks, or make laps.

• Brohoof 2

Man, don't even dare to compare CB to Power Ponies, CB's only issue was a lack of humor, Power Ponies in general was just messy, even if it did have stand out moments for the characters who actually did get to stand out with their new powers. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

Just thought about this: in "Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep" AJ and Dash are wearing their power ponies outfits and using their power ponies super powers in the dream. Then the next episode is the source for that reference.

• Brohoof 1

Hold up a sec. Is this gonna be the full movie or the TV edited version, cause I'm watching rainbow rocks on Discovery and their showing the edited one?

Yeah, I'm wondering that too. The way I knew that they had screwed around with Rainbow Rocks, when they showed it on TV, was because I had seen it in the theater. Since Friendship Games wasn't in a theater first, I guess what they air on TV tonight will be the movie. The blue ray for Rainbow Rocks has the length as seventy-five minutes. The version they show on Disco FAM is listed as being seventy minutes. They run it in a ninety minute time slot. Friendship Games is set to air in a ninety minute time slot as well. What will probably happen, is that we will see a seventy minute movie (+ twenty minutes of commercials) in a ninety minute time slot. Them next week ( or the week after, I forget) when Friendship Games comes our on blue ray/ DVD, it will say something like "extended version", or "contains never before seen footage", or "including deleted scenes". Basically, yes, we will probably get the edited for TV version tonight (with commercials) and if you want to see the full, uncut version you will have to pay for it (or steal it from best buy, or the internet or something) just like I had to pay to see Rainbow Rocks uncut, twice, once when I saw it in the theater (totally worth it!) And then again when I bought it on the blu ray. Which I put in the PS3 whenever the movie is on TV, so I can watch the end of the movie. That way I don't feel ripped off when I watch it on TV. Haha, I should just watch the disc, but for some reason, I don't. I must be addicted to the shitty commercials on Discovery Family.

Yeah, I'm wondering that too. The way I knew that they had screwed around with Rainbow Rocks, when they showed it on TV, was because I had seen it in the theater. Since Friendship Games wasn't in a theater first, I guess what they air on TV tonight will be the movie. The blue ray for Rainbow Rocks has the length as seventy-five minutes. The version they show on Disco FAM is listed as being seventy minutes. They run it in a ninety minute time slot. Friendship Games is set to air in a ninety minute time slot as well. What will probably happen, is that we will see a seventy minute movie (+ twenty minutes of commercials) in a ninety minute time slot. Them next week ( or the week after, I forget) when Friendship Games comes our on blue ray/ DVD, it will say something like "extended version", or "contains never before seen footage", or "including deleted scenes". Basically, yes, we will probably get the edited for TV version tonight (with commercials) and if you want to see the full, uncut version you will have to pay for it (or steal it from best buy, or the internet or something) just like I had to pay to see Rainbow Rocks uncut, twice, once when I saw it in the theater (totally worth it!) And then again when I bought it on the blu ray. Which I put in the PS3 whenever the movie is on TV, so I can watch the end of the movie. That way I don't feel ripped off when I watch it on TV. Haha, I should just watch the disc, but for some reason, I don't. I must be addicted to the shitty commercials on Discovery Family.

I figured they would do that. Guess I gotta go buy the DVD next week.
  • Brohoof 1

Just a random rant before the mane event, for anybody that's been watching Discovery Family today. There is this commercial that keeps coming on over and over (well all the commercials pretty much do, I think I've seen like seven or eight commercials fifty times). But this one for a toy called "potty surprise" is just revolting! They shove a spongey, foam pill into the mouth of a plastic, robot, infant human, then they pull its pants down and sit it on a toy size kiddie potty, and then the foam pill is sitting in the bottom of the toilet... Where, I can only presume, it is taken out of the toilet, and fed back to the child!! DAMN! That's some messed up shit! And totally sends the wrong message to little girls about child care, and the diet of babies. Why would anybody buy that?!?!

Just a random rant before the mane event, for anybody that's been watching Discovery Family today. There is this commercial that keeps coming on over and over (well all the commercials pretty much do, I think I've seen like seven or eight commercials fifty times). But this one for a toy called "potty surprise" is just revolting! They shove a spongey, foam pill into the mouth of a plastic, robot, infant human, then they pull its pants down and sit it on a toy size kiddie potty, and then the foam pill is sitting in the bottom of the toilet... Where, I can only presume, it is taken out of the toilet, and fed back to the child!! DAMN! That's some messed up shit! And totally sends the wrong message to little girls about child care, and the diet of babies. Why would anybody buy that?!?!

OMG I saw that commercial several times and it's so disgusting, why do they make toys like that?!

• Brohoof 1

HFS!!! I just put Discovery Family channel on. The comcast/xfinity guide says Equestria Girls is on, so I figured I'd check and see if it was maybe Friendship Games because they had Friendship Games mislabeled earlier. You know how earlier in this thread I was bitching about how they always play the G3 "movies", and that they should air some G1? Well they are! Right now. Its the one with the Smooze! "Escape From Catrina" (1985)

Edited by colt .45