Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Laws of attraction ~ A brony theory

Tenshinohana

I like this theory, and it works well. Some said in the Platonic Attraction topic that they have attraction to whoever because she has the traits they would like for a girl to have. But for me, I just like the ponies themselves. (As Platonic Attraction.) I don't find anything specific for a girl personally. All I want is for them to be kind, and not so over the top. Thats got nothing to do with ponies, though.

I dunno.

My favourite of the Mane Six is Fluttershy, and I can't exactly say that my boyfriend is really quiet. I mean, at first, when we didn't talk, he was. But not that I'm with him, or he's with his friends. Nope, not quiet x3 But he is cute, gentle, caring and kind, and lovesmost animals? xD

But he also has traits of other ponies, like Pinkie (fun, never boring, musical, humorous), and etc. xD

Hello, fellow bronies!

Okay, one day I talked with a fellow brony friend of mine. He told me that his favorite pony was Fluttershy, and I suddenly remembered his crush - she's a cute and quiet girl, who's kind to everypony. So that got me thinking...

Maybe one's favorite pony reflects the desire what someone wants in his/her companion. There are certain characteristics in ponies - stereotypical things. I've done a list of the mane six, for example...

Twilight Sparkle - intellectual, likes reading, curious, organized, hard-working

Rainbow Dash - adventurous, sporty, likes attention, likes racing, loyal, spontaneous, lazy, has attitude

Rarity - likes attention, lady-like, into fashion and beauty, generous, has class

Applejack - honest, sporty, family's important, hard-working, likes to bake and help

Pinkie Pie - Fun, humorous, musical, never boring, loves to laugh, parties

Fluttershy - cute, quiet, loves animals, gentle, caring, kind

I think you get the picture. It's also a "mix-and-match" type of thing - you might like, for example, that Pinkie's constant randomness is annoying but you love her attitude and her willingness to get everypony smile.

So, what do you ponies think of my theory~?

The Theory makes sense for me, as my second favorite pony is Twilight.

Would this explain the strange fact I am male yet am attracted to lesbians?

no it just means your like most men you want the unobtainable plus 2 women are better than 1

wait a minute

My favourite pony is Fluttershy

My GF is the loudest girl I ever knew

One word: Flutterrage

Just though of this now... Remember the episode Putting Your Hoof Down? Your GF must have undergone something that made her loud at some point in here life :P Edited by Dave247

I think there's something to that theory; I love all of the mane 6, but there's definitely a reason that I love Applejack/Rainbow Dash/ Twilight the most. I'm almost certain that my ideal girl is a combination of different elements of their personalities (smart, hard working, practical, sporty, organized, honest, emphasis on family, etc.).

Eh, I for one am usually annoyed with people who brag in real life and show off all the time.

Yet Trixie is by far without a doubt my favorite pony and I'd do anything for her. (Once I can get to Equestria seriously guys what is taking the portal so long?)

Maybe there's some sort of deep psychological reason for this or something? I dunno, I never took that course.

I think it makes sense, I mean we're attracted to personalities we like, right? So we'd be more likely to have a romantic attraction to a personality we like because...we like the personality.....

And yes, my favourite pony is Rarity, and I would say my ideal man would be a gentleman with a good sense of style, class, and generosity.

• Brohoof 1

Spot on with me. This girl i have my eye on (and am slowly wooing into the trance that is The Great and Powerful Tony) is almost exactly like Rainbow Dash. Damn, now every time I see her, Ill be imagining RD. Or can I use this to my advantage somehow?

• Brohoof 1

I came to the same conclusion and my theory was the first post I ever made. (Not just here, but anywhere on the web.)

It followed as is:

[According to Professor Masahiro Mori's "Uncanny Valley" when something is meant to look human but isn't, our brains automatically notice the things that aren't human. The same can be said of the opposite. C-3PO is funny because he is, in some ways, the most identifiable and human character even though he's visibly made of metal and circuitry. When something's clearly not human, it's human qualities stand out. The ponie's human features, hair, eyes, smile, body language etc. are clearly apparent in contrast with their cartoon animal appearance.

When watching Mandopny's song Somepony's Waiting,the lyrics described them so well and evoked the feelings again, but this time without the trepidation. It clicked! It wasn't attraction to the ponies themselves, but what they meant in my head and heart. (Grab your INCEPTIONs it's about to Jungian up in this joint!) You see, according to Carl Jung, humans are hardwired to recognize certain things at a base level and are individual brains interpret them in different ways. (Dragons being common across mythology for instance.) The Mane 6 fit into ideal feminine archetypes. The little ones get their role models but our developed brains see past the cartoon and recognize the kind of people they represent.

Thus any "sexual attraction" boasted on the internet, I humbly submit, is typical bravado covering up a deep seated emotional stimulus. Your brain recognizing the things you REALLY want in a relationship.] My take on this same phenomenon. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought it!

I think it makes sense, I mean we're attracted to personalities we like, right? So we'd be more likely to have a romantic attraction to a personality we like because...we like the personality.....

And yes, my favourite pony is Rarity, and I would say my ideal man would be a gentleman with a good sense of style, class, and generosity.

Well hello there Miss Sapphire, a pleasure to make your acquaintance. ;) I'm just kidding, though you did outline me very broadly.

Spot on with me. This girl i have my eye on (and am slowly wooing into the trance that is The Great and Powerful Tony) is almost exactly like Rainbow Dash. Damn, now every time I see her, Ill be imagining RD. Or can I use this to my advantage somehow?

Yes, just think "what would Dash like in this situation" and you can safely guess! Just be sure to take her own personality into account so she can't throw you curve balls. The Mane Six are archetypes, complex ones, but archetypes nonetheless. You have to take into account her quirks and experiences.
  • Brohoof 1

Well hello there Miss Sapphire, a pleasure to make your acquaintance. ;) I'm just kidding, though you did outline me very broadly.

Well, your above explanation was very eloquently put, so I wouldn't necessarily doubt that! ;)

And it's very true, the ponies do cover some very stereotypical archetypes, don't they? That would make it easier for people to identify with them as idealistic partners because of their more vague characterizations....

• Brohoof 1

Well, your above explanation was very eloquently put, so I wouldn't necessarily doubt that! ;)

And it's very true, the ponies do cover some very stereotypical archetypes, don't they? That would make it easier for people to identify with them as idealistic partners because of their more vague characterizations....

Very true m'lady. Rarity is second on my place of "potential courtship." This is for a very specific reason . . .

AH! The moral of the century! Rarity takes such pride in her femininity, yet that is not weakness, it's strength. My own mother often despairs at how much young girls are taught to be mean and aggressive rather than to find who they are themselves. Rarity may be a fashionista in the truest sense, but she owns her own business. She's both an artist and an entrepreneur. Rarity holds her potential partners to certain standards of conduct. Those of which I've met before with my previous (and thus far only) relationship. Rarity is a lady and demands to be treated as such . . . but also has a bit of a flirtatious side. A friend of mine is studying to be a psychologist and she has said that Rarity would make me more comfortable with some of "the seductive qualities of the feminine" As she can be somewhat forward with her affections, but in a courtly manner. Which falls squarely in my comfort zone. Not that a woman as fair and ambitious as her would be interested in a mere soldier, but a guy can dream.

Very true m'lady. Rarity is second on my place of "potential courtship." This is for a very specific reason . . .

AH! The moral of the century! Rarity takes such pride in her femininity, yet that is not weakness, it's strength. My own mother often despairs at how much young girls are taught to be mean and aggressive rather than to find who they are themselves. Rarity may be a fashionista in the truest sense, but she owns her own business. She's both an artist and an entrepreneur. Rarity holds her potential partners to certain standards of conduct. Those of which I've met before with my previous (and thus far only) relationship. Rarity is a lady and demands to be treated as such . . . but also has a bit of a flirtatious side. A friend of mine is studying to be a psychologist and she has said that Rarity would make me more comfortable with some of "the seductive qualities of the feminine" As she can be somewhat forward with her affections, but in a courtly manner. Which falls squarely in my comfort zone. Not that a woman as fair and ambitious as her would be interested in a mere soldier, but a guy can dream.

Exactly, and that is why she is my favourite! I feel like with this whole anit-feminism movement, girls are told that to act like a girl and to take pride in your femininity is a bad thing, which is not true at all! And hurtful, really--it gives an even worse message (with sometimes terrifying results). A character like Rarity (and it is fairly rare, since normally female characters are one or the other) embraces both femininity and aggression in the correct situations. She's not just a fashion designer, she's the business owner, and knows when to put her foot down. But she does it with all the grace and style of a feminine character! I just absolutely love her character for this reason, and I find it very inspiring at a time when I feel that as a girl, 'progressive' groups are telling me I should be more like a man.

• Brohoof 1

Exactly, and that is why she is my favourite! I feel like with this whole anit-feminism movement, girls are told that to act like a girl and to take pride in your femininity is a bad thing, which is not true at all! And hurtful, really--it gives an even worse message (with sometimes terrifying results). A character like Rarity (and it is fairly rare, since normally female characters are one or the other) embraces both femininity and aggression in the correct situations. She's not just a fashion designer, she's the business owner, and knows when to put her foot down. But she does it with all the grace and style of a feminine character! I just absolutely love her character for this reason, and I find it very inspiring at a time when I feel that as a girl, 'progressive' groups are telling me I should be more like a man.

If I may be so forward m'lady as to say you are a woman after my own heart! My Mom would LOVE to hear this coming from a lady of my age group! I agree with you 100% what made her escape from that clip notable to me was how Rarity didn't fall into the stereotypical trap. I'm not referring to being the helpless damsel in distress (which they right out parodied) but the trap of escaping her kidnappers through force. Rather than "go amazon" on the hounds, Rarity used guile and deception. She did better than escape, she was RUNNING the operation at one point! To get back on point though. Are there any stallions within the series that remind you of something you find desirable in a gentleman? Edited by Steelquill

If I may be so forward m'lady as to say you are a woman after my own heart! My Mom would LOVE to hear this coming from a lady of my age group! I agree with you 100% what made her escape from that clip notable to me was how Rarity didn't fall into the stereotypical trap. I'm not referring to being the helpless damsel in distress (which they right out parodied) but the trap of becoming escaping her kidnappers through force. Rather than "go amazon" on the hounds, Rarity used guile and deception. She did better than escape, she was RUNNING the operation at one point! To get back on point though. Are there any stallions within the series that remind you of something you find desirable in a gentleman?

The closest one I can think of is Fancypants but not enough of his personality has been shown to be able to make a proper judgement. They don't show many stallions in the show and it would be nice if they changed that with season 3. I don't expect a lot of male characters but it was nice how they added Shining Armour.

Also you two should consider getting a room (Just kidding) :P

• Brohoof 1

This theory is spot on, and I'm so glad to see that other people have the same ideas about the force of personality and its role in explaining attraction. Twilight and Pinkie mixed are probably my perfect girl because I need someone who can work hard and likes to learn, but randomness and willingness to try anything is important too. I actually didn't like rarity all that much for a while, until she started being stronger, especially with the diamond dogs. I really think this is because the helpless type used to be the type I thought complemented me, but now I cannot stand them, and thankfully she ended up not being one of them. :D

• Brohoof 1

The closest one I can think of is Fancypants but not enough of his personality has been shown to be able to make a proper judgement. They don't show many stallions in the show and it would be nice if they changed that with season 3. I don't expect a lot of male characters but it was nice how they added Shining Armour.

Also you two should consider getting a room (Just kidding) :P

To me, they established plenty with Fancypants. He's cultured, he's wealthy, he's educated, but he's also open-minded. The way Ms. Sapphire might see some of herself in Rarity, Fancypants is very much who I WANT to be. Self-made, accredited, and powerful. (Not to mention the beautiful wife.) I also like Shining Armor! Brought a military prescience I felt was lacking. (Military myself.) Oh and lastly age quod agis! :angry: . . . . :blush:I would loose all rights to my claims of chivalry were I to take a woman to bed so casually.

May I also add that the "terrifying results" you mentioned have a name. A name that shall not be uttered but rather substituted for one equally as deplorable. Gilda!

Posted Image

Oh and lastly age quod agis! :angry: . . . . :blush:I would loose all rights to my claims of chivalry were I to take a woman to bed so casually.

I didn't necessary mean that though it's my fault as that's what the term usually means. The main thing I was trying to say is that you two should go and discuss privately about each other seeing as you have so much in common and thow that in as a joke. I think it was just a bad choice of words on my part for which I apologise.