Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How has My Little Pony affected you in real life?

Tranquil Claw

It gives my friends something to joke around with me on but also gives me push to do some graphics and remember to try to be a bit nicer.

Well, MLP had a huge positive impact in my life. It's one of the best things that happened to me! When I discovered the show, I was in a period when I was quite depressed, and it's thanks to MLP that I feel happy again! Now, I never feel as sad as before. If I feel bad, I just listen to the Smile song or any MLP song and I instantly feel better! Add on, as I am always alone, it made me realize the importance of friendship. I haven't friends at my hight school, but I made a few friends on the net, and I hope I'll make some in real life in a convention I'm going to ^^

Not to mention the inspiration the show gave me! I drew loads of fan arts after I discovered the show!

• Brohoof 2

It has affected me in a few ways - while I normally say it hasn't much, the more I think about it, the more I realize it probably has affected me more than "a little". :P

For starters, drawing is something I always wanted to do, but usually gave up after a while of trying - this is the first time I've actually stuck with it and tried to learn and improve. So, I got a new hobby that I've wanted to take on for years! :D

It is also one of the factors that motivated me into going on, how to put it...  :dash:  A "quest" for self-improvement? Yeah, let's go with that.  I used to lack in confidence, second-guess myself all the time, basically be a doormat and a whole lot of other things - but after many months I think I'm finally at a normal 'level' of those matters, heh. I also became more social and open, and while MLP:FiM wasn't directly responsible for that, it definitely helped.

Long story short; its effects were very good, and while I'm sure some aspects of myself would've remained the same without MLP, it wouldn't be for the better. ^^

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Positive:

* It might discourage me from being involved in extremist stuff, no matter how much I would wish to do so, because no one would take an extremist brony/ponyfan seriously.

* It would be a fountain of inspiration from which I might produce a variety of ideas, whether it's fanfiction or some original works that sprouted in my mind.

* I got some friends from my time with a brony fanclub.

* It caused me to appreciate horses more, and to make fun of them. And the colour pink.

* It might had somewhat inspired me to appreciate women more.

Negative:

* It became an obsession, in which I would waste entire nights surfing the net for pony stuff or playing the Gameloft app, or I would think of them too much.

* My obsession with the show and its fandom has caused me to become more desensitivised and addicted to NSFW-like or cringeworthy stuff.

* My obsession with its haters encouraged me to become more involved in extremist beliefs, as I wanted to find out on what haters are "typically" like (when they are just people like you and I).

Edited by HorsesandMOARGaloar
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

• My social interactions with other people did not change in general.

I can tease my family with very hidden references from the show, or I just leave my computer monitor open showing my Twilight Sparkle wallpaper, when my door isn't fully close.

I get shocked when some people in real life somehow bashes the show in a way or another (I caught some people laughing at MLP related things in my multimedia classes at my college)

Since I am a Brony, I can somehow notice bronies at my college and lately I've been seeing one brony that is not scared to go out with MLP shirts in public at my college (When I walk to my course, through a hall, then I see the guy talking with his friends, sometimes with a Rainbow Dash or a weird image macro Pinkie Pie shirt)

In general, I socially didn't change because of MLP, except for some tiny details.

• Brohoof 2

I came in as a supporter of Western animation who hopes to make films, images, and assets as a hobby or side job one day. I didn't have a high opinion of where cartoons were going in. It started by changing my outlook on Western animation, helping me to define what I wanted to see out of a good cartoon or just a good story in general.

The fanbase influence started with allowing me to come out of my social shell. I didn't have that many accounts online at the time and mostly lurked sites like DeviantArt and YouTube. I started posting my stuff online.

After joining this forum, I started to pick up what I now believe to be some of the best friends I've ever had and became more socially active. One thing that's amazing about this fandom is how it celebrates individuality, talents, and interests. I've noticed upward trends in my general confidence and self-expression that crossed over into the real world as well.

The only unfortunate thing I can say is that it had at one time become an obsession just short of addiction. A couple of years ago, I enjoyed hanging out on this site so much that my performance in college was decreasing and I did things here in desperation for attention that I shouldn't have. I was off the site for a short while and that got me to slow down and get my whole life back in order.

I still hang out on this site a little more than I should because of how much I'm used to it, but thankfully I've been managing a lot better.

I was in this fandom and watching this show from high school through the doldrums of minor depression and unemployment and now thankfully I can say I may be starting a new career soon. This fandom was a part of my coming of age. Applying the lessons learned from the show, interpreting and debating them with others, and enjoying the hobbies and friendships that came from it have been great assets to my self-improvement and I can't really imagine that many other places I can get them from, and from that I'd give my sincerest thanks to the people that have influenced me in this fandom.

To think, I just came in here looking for a good cartoon.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

I'm just gonna lump the fandom and the show together as one, since I'ma talk about both anyway. ^^''

So, sorry this has to start with the big downside of things, but ~meh~ it makes sense in the end. I joined back in season 2, at the height of many things in this fandom... both good and bad. I don't think I should ever describe most of the things that happened, and even what I'm about to say I'm afraid is too dark to get through the "blank flank" post block. Just one story here, I used to be part of a thriving chat room as a "HalfChangeling"; I made many friends there, and good ones at that. As season 3 was about to end, one of those closest to me died in that-worst-possible-sorta-way, and literally everyone on the room fled; all accounts except for mine, including the site itself, were gone within the hour. That essentially describes my luck with the fandom, socially speaking - not much. Meanwhile, as I started letting people know about my love of MLP in real life, I've become bullied for it, and even my own father suggested I "knock it off or I'll never get a girl". Because man logic for the win. Quite a few times I nearly fell into old habits like obsession and procrastination, sometimes worse.

But for all the bad it's done me, it's given so much more positive energy. It was and is MLP that's causing me the aforementioned problems; it was and is, and will continue to be, MLP that's fixed them for me.

And going so far beyond that, it's given me so much more than its taken! I used to be what I'd call a "pop culture crow", snipping and clawing at whatever was shiny and interesting. After I found MLP I decided if a fluorescent show for little girls is something I'd enjoy, maybe there's so much more I haven't found? Not too long after I developed a love for JRPGs, cartoons, and many other things; I rediscovered my old, starving love of art and fantasy; I went on to find tabletops, anime, Indie games, and so much else. It's also been a big source of morality - not from the show itself, per say, but its existence, its role in my life. So many choices I could've made one way are changed simply because I'm "out of the norm"; my perspective on so much in life has changed simply because it's okay to watch a show for little girls. It's also made me some of the most kind, accepting friends I've ever had, who don't actually like the show themselves but find my love of it hilarious and awesome. Most recently the music community has shown me so much I never thought I'd like, and even inspired me to try and create something myself (no results yet). It's inspired me not just to make something for the community, but something anyone can enjoy! Again, no results yet, but I'm excited to see what I can make when I put my mind to it.

The show has caused me some problems, pretty darn impactful ones. It's made me more reclusive, more cautious, more afraid than I probably should be. I'd be lying to say it hasn't, and I'm sure many others here would feel the same - they just didn't post about it. But looking past that, I can say it's truly given me so, so more good than bad; there's so much that simply liking this show has given me, and there's so much more that the fandom has given me. I'm near 19 now, and it's only been in the past four and a half years I've truly felt I know myself, know who I am and why that's what I am. It's kinda weird to say this out loud, but this show, this fandom, changed my entire outlook on life.

Haha, enough from me though, you guys probably prefer if this chain avoids things like my first paragraph. Hope you appreciate it regardless, I love this fandom! ^^

• My social interactions with other people did not change in general.
  • I can tease my family with very hidden references from the show, or I just leave my computer monitor open showing my Twilight Sparkle wallpaper, when my door isn't fully close.
  • I get shocked when some people in real life somehow bashes the show in a way or another (I caught some people laughing at MLP related things in my multimedia classes at my college)
  • Since I am a Brony, I can somehow notice bronies at my college and lately I've been seeing one brony that is not scared to go out with MLP shirts in public at my college (When I walk to my course, through a hall, then I see the guy talking with his friends, sometimes with a Rainbow Dash or a weird image macro Pinkie Pie shirt)
  • In general, I socially didn't change because of MLP, except for some tiny details.

I suggest talking to the guy! You could make a good friend that way.

• Brohoof 1

It helped me with my depression when I was 17...Now as a 21 year old it's helping me ease up considering recently I just wanted to "grow up!"  already...Everyone else seems to have their life made...But my childhood sucked, and while I still find childhood and teenhood to be a bit overrated, it feels like MLP is helping me have the childhood I never had.

As I been told before...Trying too hard to be an adult is just as immature as...Being immature. :blink:

• Brohoof 1

It helped me make friends with other Bronies in real life as I was only seeing one friend and my closest cousin. I was really alone, I'm surprised I wasn't depressed, I had my job though, but I pretty much lived to work and worked to live. I still struggle socially, I try to socialize as best as I can with them. I go to my local meetups now and even now interstate meetups if there's something going on. I also love the music and art created by this fandom!

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

It turned me from a depressing, and aggressive pile of turd into a happy and friendly pile of turd. It's also affected the way I respond to people liking wierd things, or things that they're "not supposed to".

Edited by BritishBrony 13
  • Brohoof 1

It has effected me quite a bit. I think about the show, the characters and the fandom very often. It's just such a positive powerful thing that's always happy and can always make you smile or laugh. I listen to fandom music pretty much everyday so it's affected me in that way. It's also encouraged me to continue drawing which I didn't normally do.

Well, it's certainly made my day more than once...  :grin:

It certainly makes me happier than usual, helping me get through depression and apathetic rough patches; it's made me smile and laugh more than most things in the world. And it helps me to escape to the innocence of childhood, a world of fantasy, especially when life is difficult and I need somewhere to go...

(edited)

Pretty life changing for the better.

Pretty much said this a good dozen times, helped me become more mature, friendly, and kind. Relearned some important stuff that I had forgotten overtime due to environment, and helped me cope with some bad experience.

Most importantly, gave me the motivation to fight on, whether it is the show itself or this wonderful fandom.

Edited by Solid

Being positive seems to be the norm and is for me as well so i wont bother you with retelling what youve seen already but one thing that it really helped with is a creative outlet.

Having a fun environment to learn and grow as an author and artist was something i never really found elsewhere. Mainly due to fear of rejection or harsh veiws i was never really into sharing what i drew or wrote but the accepting atmosphere really helped me come out of my shell in that regard.

It hasn't, it's just a great TV-show with a lovely community.

• 2 weeks later...

It hasn't. Well, I have something to look forward to every now and then, when a new episode gets released. That's great.

But it's not like it builds me as a person or anything , sorry to say. I only talk with my gf about it anyway, no one else is interested and I honestly couldn't care less.

I think it's made me a more sensitive human being, and I'm glad for it.

It's also gotten creative juices flowing in my mind; I'm still adding features to the game editor and game engine for the fangame I show in my signature!

It has made me more relaxed when i am getting involved in the show in anyway. The forum as an extension of the show has made me feel less lonely.

So, nothing major other than mellowing me out i guess.

If it weren't for MLP, I probably would have a WAY smaller comfort zone than what I have now. I was pretty much forced to watch the show, if I wasn't I wouldn't have given it a try. MLP makes my life better, so without it I would!d probably have a Mich higher chance of depression.

I was on the high brink of depression at one point and contemplated on ending my pain once and for all, thanks to the show I saw a brighter side of things in life. :D