Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your idea of a Utopia?

Tranquil Claw

Probably something like this:

I would say it is not possible by humanity. Take humans out of the equation, then possibly.

If you're talking about anarchy, then yes you're correct.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been fascinated with how history has often repeated it's mistakes over and over. If every grand mind in the forum got together, maybe we can change this, do something good for the world as a whole. This could all start with a few simple questions. What in your eyes is a perfect world, a utopia? 

Brought to you by Equestria's newest philosopher, Tranquil Claw

I'm thinking of starting a daily question for the forum to answer and discuss. Should I do this?

I'll let you decide. 

Utopia does not, and can not exist. There will always be room for improvement in society and governance. My preferance would be a minimalist government with a free market economy.

Equestria is my Utopia. Why? I'd love being in the world that not only has built in drama and action and it has cute little houses and just plain adorableness! Q.Q

Sir you have read my master plan like a book. It all starts with a show originally for little girls and could turn out to be humanity's last redemption from corruption. We have the information, we have the support, now we need to make it work.

I am going to put fourth that anyone who wants to join my team should go talk to my co-founder, SugarfootWillie. This will definitely not be able to air every day but I do hope that with the help of the community this can become a strong tradition for the fandom.

"Onward we go, touching the world with our influence, spreading ideas, and ushering a new age never before seen in history."

Quote by Me, just in case it ever becomes famous.  :smug:

Because of recent events I would like to add something to my idea of a utopia.

A world where a Christian can tell an atheist "God bless you" and the Atheist would say "thank you" and where people can talk about differing beliefs of all kinds without arguing. A world of Tolerance practically; where we do not see people by their beliefs or skin color, but by a single fact: They are human.

Also I like the quote, but famous quotes come naturally not planned.

• Brohoof 1

Because of recent events I would like to add something to my idea of a utopia.

A world where a Christian can tell an atheist "God bless you" and the Atheist would say "thank you" and where people can talk about differing beliefs of all kinds without arguing. A world of Tolerance practically; where we do not see people by their beliefs or skin color, but by a single fact: They are human.

Also I like the quote, but famous quotes come naturally not planned.

I was a little lightheaded at the time :) I do have a few that came off the top of my mind that were not planned. I do like your idea of a utopia as well. Religious freedom is something to strive towards.

Imagine a world where almost every country is a 1st world country, except they got that way without the hatred that most first world countries today used to get ahead. Now, in this world, everyone of at least 18 years has a base income of 15k USD a year, and they can get jobs to up their cut. The more ambitious you are, the more cash you can get, but even if you, say, threw your super awesome bowling company into bankruptcy, the government would still give you 10k of the 15k. The work week is 4 days, with people alternating just enough so things run smoothly. The average citizen gets 12 years of schooling (more if they wish), and from that point on they're free to do as they please, so long as they follow the laws (ie Don't steal, murder, etc). Everyone has equal opportunity all across the board. You get to do all this so long as you follow what your queen-- me-- says. Consider me a "benevolent dictator."

I know just as much as the next guy that this is absolutely ridiculous and could only work in a fictional world, but to be honest, I don't care enough. That's my personal utopia.  :umad:

I was a little lightheaded at the time :) I do have a few that came off the top of my mind that were not planned. I do like your idea of a utopia as well. Religious freedom is something to strive towards.

I believe there is a difference between Religious Freedom and True Religious Tolerance. Religious Freedom is the first step of Religious Tolerance but they are not to be used interchangeably. The U.S. may be a country with Religious Freedom but it is definitely not (far from it) a Religious Tolerant country.

• Brohoof 1

Should be asleep but:

An utopia (at least as close as we can get to one) relies on education. 

Essentially: Educating people to think logically, in which hate and bias would become a thing of the path. People would become aware of others and the end goal would be basic empathy.

A friend of mine when I put this proposition to him said "Oh? You send people to a place to learn. Bit like a summer camp that people are sent to to concentrate. Hmmm, maybe we should call them concentration camps!

Bit off the mark there. 

This is not training people to think in a certain way. Its just basic empathy. Wonderful as our current system is, it would benefit from a healthy dose of "what would that feel like if somebody did it to me".

Educating people to be empathic, and consider others would solve a whole load of problems. Unfortunately humankind is flawed and this would take a while to implement. Still capitalism, just nicer. 

• Brohoof 1

My idea of a Utopia is a combination of canon The Boss's Last Will and my own interpretation of it.

"Respecting the wills of others' and believing in one's own."

As for what unites us, and eventually the world together? Friendship. A mutual bond between individuals that could be based on mutual interests, shared values, or even nothing at all. (Friendship is Magic after all)

You might ask, how the hell is changing a mindset gonna help? You might be surprised when we do.

Edited by Solid Scorpion
  • Brohoof 1

I doubt a utopia could truly exist, with how flawed humanity is as a species, but if I had to dream, it would be a world where peace reigns, where nature is still retained, and where we learn to live in harmony and equality with eachother and the world around us.

Edited by MiniKirby123
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

In short: a world where everyone works hard and everyone lives a happy life.

Is it possible? Yes I think it is.

Well in my Utopia, we would not only care about unemployment. We would also care about misemploymen, i.e.the man outside McDonald's handing out coupons is not unemployed but is still misemployed.

In my Utopia, companies would not focus on short term profits through layoffs etc but on long term growth and investment. Also, they would invest most of their profits instead of spending it on share buybacks and dividends.

In my Utopia, school would be self paced. Everyone would study at least till ... 18. But no one will stop learning, no matter how old they are.

And most important, politicians in my utopia will be young, and talented and their primary aim will not be just to get elected.

Additionally, in my utopia, everyone will have a basic income, there will be free movement and no poverty.

The idea of an "utopia" is something that's impossible to achieve. Just like absolute zero, you can get close to it but never reach the actual. Anyway, my idea of something close to Utopia:

- You can choose when to die

- Everyone has equal chances in life to pursue happiness

- Crime is low, but not non-existent

- The cost of education and healthcare is low and accessible by the entire population

- Human rights are respected and enforced with no exceptions

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
(edited)

Utopia doesn't exist, as what everyone considers a Utopia is completely subjective.

But for me personally it would be to live in a world where common sense is applied commonly.

A world where all countries are on the same level technologically, have a well-developed infrastructure and economy.

A world where all immigration is more about what culture/environment you like as opposed to your living/economic conditions, not emigrating from poor to rich countries.

A world where many don't have 5+ children just hoping one of them will make it.

A world where all children are taken well care of emotionally(love, affection and discipline), physically(food, shelter, drinks) and socially(teach them how to behave and to not be dicks).

A world where wars between our nations is a distant memory.

A world where people don't act in an aggressive manner towards someone they disagree with.

A world where we have found incredibly efficient and different power sources, and energy is in abundance.

A world where human-made pollution is non-existent and our ecosystems have been returned to their former beauties and glory.

A world where genetic diseases, illnesses and negative conditions have all been eliminated. Those unfortunate enough to be born without an arm or a leg can have a highly developed cybernetic one.

A world where poverty have all but been eradicated through good social and economical policies.

A world where your personality and merits are more important than what's between your legs, your race, your creed, you belief system(or lack there of), your economic situation, your political beliefs, +++.

Aaaand that's all I can think of for the moment.

Edited by Yakamaru

My ideal for a Utopia:

- No politics

- No man made pollution or pollution of any kind

- Where all energy comes from renewable and efficent sources

- Where technology is made available all across the world in the style of neo futuristic modernism

- Where humanity is colonizing the solar system and making rapid progress socially and technologically

- No gangs, prison violence, or anything like that

- A world where there is no money, or no sense of greed or hate

- A world where animal cruelty and meat eating doesn't exist, but lab grown meat does and it's identical

- No laziness in people, people aren't fat and obese

- Infrastructure is repaired constantly and improved

- People can really choose what they want to do in life

- People live longer, but have less kids

- Where sex and things related to sex are more private and reserved. We don't need to constantly be reminded of sex every day of our lives

- Diseases and such are eliminated

- Living conditions for everyone around the world is alot better. Everyone being truely equal and where cultural exchange and knowledge is the norm

- A world where the Earth is united under a common banner, but there is no politics or things associated with that

- Where humanity begins to reverse the damage we have done to the world