Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Preview Clip for Brotherhooves Social

Zerbu

It doesn't seem like anyone else has posted this, so here it is: a new preview clip from Brotherhooves Social.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8i8VhX4TSE

I'm both curious and nervous to see how they handle this. Even though MLP:FiM has always went against gender stereotypes, they've never really openly mentioned them except in Ticket Master and even then, it was limited to personality traits. Hopefully it's done properly and in a way that fits in with the environment they're in.

• Brohoof 1

*cringes hard*

The "male-in-a-dress" joke has been around for generations, and it can really cross into being cringeworthy; this did it for me. Secondly, we're in a generation where trans* awareness is on the rise, and I expect shows to be more sensitive to stuff like this. Not long ago, many Steven Universe fans on Tumblr were visibly upset over how Uncle Grandpa was dressed like Rose Quartz so people can laugh at him looking like a woman. I expect the reaction from some in this fandom and out to be the same.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

Really hope this episode is better than it looks. The "male-in-a-dress" joke is gross and I'm honestly sick of seeing it. I assumed better from a show like MLP to make this sort of joke (reminds me of that unfunny fat pony joke in the Canterlot Boutique episode).

• Brohoof 4

*cringes hard*

The "male-in-a-dress" joke has been around for generations, and it can really cross into being cringeworthy; this did it for me. Secondly, we're in a generation where trans* awareness is on the rise, and I expect shows to be more sensitive to stuff like this. Not long ago, many Steven Universe fans on Tumblr were visibly upset over how Uncle Grandpa was dressed like Rose Quartz so people can laugh at him looking like a woman. I expect the reaction from some in this fandom and out to be the same.

Really hope this episode is better than it looks. The "male-in-a-dress" joke is gross and I'm honestly sick of seeing it. I assumed better from a show like MLP to make this sort of joke (reminds me of that unfunny fat pony joke in the Canterlot Boutique episode).

I mostly agree, except going against the gender roles assigned by society is a different thing from being transgender. That being said, I do agree that the joke was both cringe-worthy and out of place in a show like MLP, but I'm reserving judgement until I actually see the whole episode. I've seen preview clips for other shows before that poorly reflect the moral of the episode, so this could be one of those.

• Brohoof 1

LOL when I saw this I was like. :wau:  WTF LOL!!! :lol:

Then I thought that for sure Rarity must have had something to do with it to help Applebloom because Applejack was in Maneha------- Wait- SO WAS RARITY!!! :confused: :blink:

Then I remembered some other things I noticed in the show...

post-24370-0-68312100-1422073363.jpg
1. He lost (maybe on purpose) the bet Applejack mentioned in the beginning of "The Ticket Master" and had to wear one of Granny Smith's Girdles.

post-24370-0-46611000-1422119307_thumb.jpg

This resulted in his injury seen in the beginning of "Applebuck Season"

2. In "Ponyville Confidential" He still has Twilight's Smarty Pants doll.

3. Big Mac decides to become a princess in "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep"

I don't know what's going on with this show anymore! ^_^

Edited by Cirrus.

I'm sorry but joke aside this is funny. Big mac, of all stallions, speaking with a southern accent, those phrases, while pretending to be a mare. I really thought what he said in applebuck season was a mouth full for him but this takes the whole orchard. I agree though the cross dressing joke is way OU. We'll see how this turns out. I'm way more psyched for "The one where Pinkie Pie knows". 

p.s. if anyone misunderstands what I'm laughing at it's the thickness (how believable he's trying to make it) of mac's act not that he's cross dressing or acting like a mare. Anyone that does that does so in their own right which, since it's their choice and not mine, nor is being forced upon me in any way, does not bother me. 

Who knows, maybe this might reveal that Big Mac actually IS transgender, and is using this as an excuse to express his (or, in this case, her) true gender identity.

I mean, think about it, Big Mac was never one to use a  lot of words, but now, as a mare, they are talking much more, possibly showing that this is their gender identity, as they have more confidence in it.

As a transgender person, if they go this route I would be really happy.

Because it could educate more people about transgender issues.

Sadly, the chances of this going wrong is very, VERY high.

Edited by Wyllow
  • Brohoof 2

Ym5bSJA.jpg

With my experiences of the show, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a temporary gimmick that lasts somewhere between a third to a half of the whole episode. Like The Mysterious Mare-Do Well and Spike at Your Service, this probably developed out of some zany gimmick the storywriters thought up, and was continuously thought of as hilarious by crew-members that it proceeded entirely with just-enough challenge to make it through the production line unscathed, into making a very strange and uncharacteristic episode.

Sadly, the chances of this going wrong is very, VERY high.

When people learned the season 2 finale would be about a wedding, some bronies were fast to make assumptions about conjugate relationships or children between the inferred happy couple.

With three years of retrospect, I think we can confidently assert that such directions are never going to happen in the Friendship is Magic canon.

Edited by Blue

Maybe he made himself look like that so that the CMC could be accepted to some competition but they didn't expect him to do so (maybe excluding Applebloom)?

This clip raises many questions, I got to say.

Edited by RainCode

sig-4127559.Ym5bSJA.jpg

With my experiences of the show, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a temporary gimmick that lasts somewhere between a third to a half of the whole episode. Like The Mysterious Mare-Do Well and Spike at Your Service, this probably developed out of some zany gimmick the storywriters thought up, and was continuously thought of as hilarious by crew-members that it proceeded entirely with just-enough challenge to make it through the production line unscathed, into making a very strange and uncharacteristic episode.

When people learned the season 2 finale would be about a wedding, some bronies were fast to make assumptions about conjugate relationships or children between the inferred happy couple.

With three years of retrospect, I think we can confidently assert that such directions are never going to happen in the Friendship is Magic canon.

You're not looking forward to this episode, then?

I'd like to remind everyone that this scene was probably picked out by the marketing team to attract attention and boost viewers. It likely doesn't represent the views of the episode or the creators and writers who made it. There could be more to that scene than what's shown, or it could be leading up to a deeper moral.

• Brohoof 3

Oh heck, I bet it's something like the Social has rules against stallions attending, and Big Mac was just tryin' to be there for his sister.  Granny Smith is too old to be Apple Bloom's sister.  With Applejack being off in Manehattan saving the day, Apple Bloom needs someone to fill in. 

And we already know Big Mac likes to dress up.  What harm?

Edited by Foliha
  • Brohoof 2