Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

OC Clichés That Bother You

Venomous

What are some OC cliches that bother you?

(Please do not bash another person's specific OC)

Here are some that bother me:

1. The character is Mary/Gary su.

2. The character has an evil side.

3. The character is mentally insane.

4. The character has an unintentional unnapealing design in hopes of looking "cool".

5. The character is "the chosen one".

6. The character is a super obvious re-color.

7. The character is super shy because the creator hoped it'd be "cute"

Edited by Venomous
  • Brohoof 1

Thanks, now i know why my character got so much hate  :please:

Things that bother me? Not really much.

As long as they dont look like simply recolors of the main 6...or are literally just recolors of screenshots from the show, im okay.

But what am i complaining? My oc is literally a recolor of Pinkamena, so i should be quiet.  :lol:

Mine simple go
Alicorns
Gary/Mary sue
Recolors
Looking like a character from the show or a well known OC (Glaze, Firebrand, The Living Tombstone etc)

I also feel like making your OC half and half (half pony half changeling) is kind of childish even though that's maybe sort of what it did. (Hippogriffs, Griffons, Manticores etc excluded)

If the OC is super shy. I'm not too crazy over shy characters, but to see it in OCs where they're unrealistically scared of everything really bothers me. It doesn't really make them more relatable.

the "over-breed" Oc (ie: half changeling alicorn with bat wings), the "Chosen one" Oc, which is kinda ironic considering I almost always draw mine with a keyblade... I couldn't care less if you had an alicorn oc, just don't ask me to draw it.... and recolours...

Edited by Artimis Whooves
  • Brohoof 1

Alicorns... Not that you can't have a good Alicorn OC, but they have to have a REALLY GOOD reason for being an Alicorn, which almost never happens.

Also, hairstyles that look too much like they came from an anime.

• Brohoof 3

1) Variants of already existing characters, such as "Evil [insert name]" or "Filly [insert name]".

2) Powerful characters. Those that are fast, smart, strong, and just about perfect. The best thing about a character is their actual flaws, stuff for them to overcome. But too many people love to have that ultimate OC...

3) Ponies with guns and hand-based weaponry. Swords are pushing it, but almost duplicate M-16s, .45 pistols, etc. are quite ridiculous.

The OCs that are the absolute worst are the ones with no weakness, no flaws, and are basically "perfect".

Your character is not going to be interesting in the least bit if they don't have any struggle that they have to face.

I really don't like it when the Author writes his/her OC into canon situations.

Like, "My OC is married to Princess Luna" or, "Muh OC is King Twilurt Sprukl" or something. An OC should be ORIGINAL..meaning it should built from new experiences, not forcefully injected into others. OC's can interact with Canon ponies, sure, but when it comes to making something like... "King Candy from Wreck-It Ralph as a pony marrying Princes Celestia and killing Luna" We have an issue.

• Brohoof 1

What are some OC cliches that bother you?

(Please do not bash another person's specific OC)

Here are some that bother me:

1. The character is Mary/Gary su.

2. The character has an evil side.

3. The character is mentally insane.

4. The character has an unintentional unnapealing design in hopes of looking "cool".

5. The character is "the chosen one".

6. The character is a super obvious re-color.

7. The character is super shy because the creator hoped it'd be "cute"

OC clichés do not bother me all that much but I could understand why some of them are to people

1. This is something that I could understand more, being all op with no flaws leaves little room for character growth.

2. and 3. -I put these two together because they are quite similar- Could actually work if they're well done.

4. Something that is unappealing is by itself bothersome, I understand that.

5. Refer to number 2 and 3.

6. I get why people are bothered by this, but refer to 2 and 3.

7. I get it, and fell for it (cough Fluttershy cough)

In general, some of these "Clichés" do work if handled very well. The problem is, it's hard to handle them well.

If I really have to come up with a cliché trait of an OC that bothers me the most, it's the super star sydrome, a common issue in stories and OC designs in which the main character gets not only most, but ALL of the "camera's" attention, while other characters are more like 2 dimensional assets with very little role and development. It's somewhat like Mary/Gary Sue, except that the OC does not necessarily have to be hyper op and flawless, Mary/Gary Sue is often paired with Super Star Syndrome anyways.

• Brohoof 3

Characters that have some dark depressing and mysterious background to them that is never explained because it's boring anyway.

Characters that have no negatives to them; they are the kindest, yet can be violent and aggressive.

Characters that have special abilities or affiliations with other shows outside of MLP (I really don't understand why people ever do that, especially when everyone else is unaware of the other shows.)

Silent but deadly, when realistically, they sound more awkward and timid.

A character that has military history; therefore, it explains they are tough...

Characters who change their personality at any situation so they are always right and liked by the audience.

The sad part is, some of the cannon characters are clichés, but no where near are bad as some OC's.

This is why I rarely role play :(

Almost all "original characters" people make are one. Why are you making one and why make one when you're not making a story involving them? That's the only reason I would make OCs to be part of a story. 

An over the top tragic backstory. Heaven forbid an OC is just an average, run of the mill citizen, or has a single tragic instance in their past like a love one died, oh no! He has to have some tragic backstory where his parents were murdered in front of them, forced to live on their own in a harsh environment, was abused their whole life to explain why they're an anti-social introvert and could give Batman a run for his money in brooding. 

Rainbow hair and multicoloured feathers on Pegasi. Rainbow Dash (and her potential relative seen in "Games Pony Play") are the only instances of this in the show, so having this comes off as trying to be special. The latter is due to the fact that not a single pony (besides a slight gradient on Cadance's wing) have had a natural feather colour different than their coat colour.    

Any kind of connection or relationship to canon characters without a good reasonChildren of the M6 for the purpose of a story is one thing, being their long lost sibling or significant other is not.

That's the thing though: all these things, even them being an alicorn can be done well, so long as there's a good, logic reason for it besides "It's cool!"

Edited by PoisonClaw

Well, to name a few: most alicorns, tragic backstory (especially if it involves parents), being the chosen ones that will save the world, falling in love with a canon character because that canon character is the author's favorite, self-insert characters, overpowered characters, characters that invent/have access to modern human technology for no real reason, recolors, super-high-contrast color schemes (ie neon green and pure black), multicolor body parts because it's more "unique", "shy and quiet but super-intimidating when angry", angsty ones, dark and edgy ones, being the secret masterminds behind things like canon villain attacks...

Okay, that's far from "a few" and I just got carried away blabbering. :P I'm guilty of one or two things in the past, but at least I corrected them over time.

Edited by VengefulStrudel

-Has overpowered abilities like shapeshifting.

-Or reality-warping (for no plausible reason (At least Discord is Q 2.0, Sombra used the Empire's "Fisher Kingdom" properties, Trixie and Rarity had the Amulet and the Manifestation, Tirek stole Discord's magic, and Midnight had the EQG portal's magic.)).

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

The use of the Mane cast names:  Snow Sparkle/Tree Dash/ Apple anything/Shimmer Wave and etc. Or the human turned pony or any other creature also irks me on the side.

The OC is Black and Red.

The OC has a very dark past.

The OC is related to one of the shows protagonists.

The OC has immense super powers.

• Brohoof 3