Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reasons why I think FG is just as good, if not better than RR (spoilers)

Silver Stream.

Might I also add that I loved the Humane Five in FG far more than I did in the first two movies? In the first film, the way they get back along after fighting with each other is treated as such a big deal, but it's given so little weight and resolved so quickly that it makes the whole "We hate each other because we got fake text messages" plotline feel even more stupid than it was. And in RR, as you said about being able to predict certain outcomes, it felt so obvious that they'd all put aside their differences in the end that it just made their movie-long arguing a chore to sit through.

The first two movies spent so much time on them arguing over things I couldn't get invested in, it felt like such a breath of fresh air to see them getting along not just with each other in FG, but also Sci-Twi. Going into this movie the first time, I was dreading that the FG would act like huge jerks towards Sci-Twi just for being in Crystal Prep, thereby undermining their whole "We used to be bad friends, but we're different now!" spiel, given the whole "rivalry" vibe at the beginning of the movie. Granted, it did seem jarring to see CHS actually trying to get along with CPA after going on about how much they hated each other, but that just made it so much nicer to see.

On top of that, we got to see the Humane Five truly demonstrate their elements for the first time in the movies. Flutters and AJ being good sports, RD saving Sunset's life, Pinkie being her fine party-throwing self, Rarity being, well, Rarity... These, along with the Sunset/Sci-Twi development and interactions, made for the movie's best scenes. I loved them because they not only showed their elements to each other, but also CPA. It made each scene feel so organic, I honestly didn't notice that they were setting up the "our magic lies in our elements" twist until two-thirds in the movie. And when it all built up to the climax, well, let's say it was what the first movie's climax should've been.

When making a sequel or spin-off, you should at least make it accessible and understandable for those who aren't familiar with the original. The first movie failed at that by listing each of the girls' elements in the cafeteria song and transformation sequence, even though they barely even get to exhibit those traits in the movie. You'd need to be familiar with their actions in the show for it to make any sort of sense, and even then, it felt tacked on. But not in FG. It was a moment that was being built up from the very beginning, and it truly deserved the climax it reached.

Maybe people have a point when they say Rainbow Rocks does do things better. Better songs, more entertaining villains...but not this.

I thought it was O.K. when I saw it but I didn't like it as much as RR. The whole story just felt more interesting to me, especially Sunset's part in the story. FR was still pretty good, but the songs weren't as good, I thought the climax scene in RR was waaay cooler (tho dont get me wrong, the part right before human twilight unleashes the magic is intense and awesome, and good song, best in the movie by far). 

And to top it off I couldn't help but feel disappointed after seeing the deleted scenes. That song would've been soooo much better, and even if you're against Sunset going to the human world at the end of the deleted scenes she decides to stay so it works out well for everyone and you come out with a cooler, more interesting movie and have a great song rather than an alright one.

And I expected to 'villains' to do a lot more. They hardly had ANY screen time so that was a big factor. The dazzlings did a lot, but you could see they had a hard time fitting in time for all three of them (they didnt even say Aria's name in the movie), so of course with 6 of them you will get less screen time for them all. 

They seemed to be an opposite of the main characters, too. Obviously. It even shows it in the intro, so that was also a very big disappointing factor.

Edited by NotoriousSMALL

The thing I hated most about Rainbow Rocks was Applejack. She was a selfish jerk. That movie is why I hate human Applejack, despite liking pony Applejack. That movie is why I cannot consider the human six and the mane six the same characters, at all. Pony Applejack doesn't look down on others and think she's better than them. Human Applejack can't. In fact, human Applejack thinks she knows everything. 

I think Friendship Games was much better.

Really interesting opinions so far guys!

But a lot of them proves what I already covered in my first post: Friendship Games does not have villains.

One thing that's impressive is for a cartoon movie to succeed without a set villain. RR was dependant on the Sirens.....which is why I don't consider their movie the best.

The ShadowSix were original characters created for rivalry... but it snatched up all of your attention. With such little screentime, over half of you are disappointed you didn't see more of them....unsatisfactory results lead to higher demands of another movie that will hopefully include those you saw less of. Believe it or not, FG hooked in a lot of people this time around.

The only downfall in this movie that's fair to be called out on was the little time for everyone to get equal share. For SO MUCH to be in this movie im surprised how well paced the build up.