Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone Notice Tara Strong Is Very Political?

GXPBlast

I do like Tara Strong as a VA and as a person and I would not judge her negatively on her political views. I dont think that is right with any person in fact. However, I notice she does politicize her twitter alot especially on controversial subjects.

Now I know celebrities can be political, but Tara never seemed to be that type of person compared to typical Hollywood actors.

But looking at her previous history, she does seem to focus on certain issues alot and surprisingly gets into arguments with her fans on those subjects.

Many of her fans from what I notice tend to disagree with her on particular issues.

Anyone notice this about Tara and what do you think of her being very political on her twitter page?

Compared to the other VA's on the show, she seems to be the most vocal at least publicly when it comes to politics which can be both a good thing and a bad thing.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 2

This issue? You mean gun control? I have to make an assumption here since I'm unsure. I know she retweeted the official WH tweet on the OR shooting, and a quick tweet about paying for the victims of the shooting. On the celebrity political activism meter that is like a 1/10. Non issue.

She actually is less of an activist than Tabby is with environmental issues, which can eclipse gun control as a touchy issue depending on the demographic and geography.

Also, any issue that has at least a popular polling split should not be touchy. When someone says a position comment that carries 50% to 60% agreement is touchy, the RNC/DNC have a party. ;)

As far as the larger issue about celebrities, since I'm a policy wonk and actually follow the political landscape with detached interest it does not bother me when famous people hold and opine on strong opinions. The chance of said opinion impacting my views of mine is low enough that I have no concerns.

• Brohoof 6

Haven't really noticed it. There's several twitters by different Tara Strongs, though, does the one you're talking about have an underscore or not?

Its just @Tarastrong her offcial account.

What's the issue here? The only things I see are on another shooting. The only thing regarding gun control seemed to be from her own fans. The only thing I see that's political is her retweeting a satire about Donald Trump (and it's a complete mystery how he's allowed anywhere near the white house). 

• Brohoof 3

• 1 year later...

She has gone full political for the last couple days and probably will be understandably since what happened in the US election. Regardless who you wanted to win, I wish the very best for this country and we can begin to heal as this cycle has been especially crazy and divisive.

• Brohoof 2

But looking at her previous history, she does seem to focus on this issue alot and surprisingly gets into arguments with her fans on certain subjects
Yes. Yes she does. Responded to one of her tweets about gun control one time, and she argued back. Wound up blocking me for some reason.

I wasn't even rude to her lol.

• Brohoof 1

Although I love Tara and have met her personally and bronycon, she is loosing her mind and re tweeting petitions and other tweets inciting violence in form of the riots going on. It really concerns me that she represents Twilight the princess of friendship. She literally has a closed mind so far and refuses to give Trump a chance. She even retweeted a picture of Canada taking over California, Washington and Oregon. I mean if she really is scared  and does not like Trump at all, she has duel citizenship and can just move back to Canada easily with her family. Its one thing to not approve of the election but as a public figure representing children and the princess of friendship that she voices, re tweeting tweets and calling Trump supporters all racist fascists is kind of scary coming from her.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 6

I mean if she really is scared and does not like Trump at all, she has duel citizenship and can just move back to Canada easily with her family. Its one thing to not approve of the election but as a public figure representing children and the princess of friendship that she voices, re tweeting tweets and calling trump supporters all racist fascists is kind of scary coming from her.

Let's hope she doesn't; I wouldn't want FiM to end because of an election like this!  Hasn't the election already done enough damage without that being piled on top of it all?

Dang...when people get scared, they'll do things that would be monstrous otherwise...

I guess it depends on what medium it is. If you are talking as yourself, as an individual, then of course you can give whatever thoughts you like, but if its through any sort of non-political organisation (lets say Cartoon Network) then its inappropriate to do such things. In this case, it's her private twitter if I remember correctly. I don't think its that likely that kids will wind up shaped by whatever she says, even though it is disappointing how many celebrities have ultimately threatened to leave, called people racists, fascists, and numerous other insults, blocked people, incited all manner of disorder, and just generally not been very helpful in the trainwreck that was this entire political course. They can do so, but it is disappointing. I mean what's the purpose of that?

She actually is less of an activist than Tabby is with environmental issues, which can eclipse gun control as a touchy issue depending on the demographic and geography.

Since when is environmental issues a controversial subject? As far as I can see, nearly all Americans, conservatives and liberals alike, care for the environment and want to protect it. The only thing that they fight over is global warming. But then again, I am an environmentalist in Oregon, so perhaps "our" Republicans are different from the other Republicans in the U.S. :P

Reminds me of John De Lancie's recent, anti-Republican rant about their constant gridlock against Obama.

Um, Mr. De Lancie, sir?

They're not doing it out of petty dislike; they're doing it because his policies keep causing all hell to break loose.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

Since when is environmental issues a controversial subject? As far as I can see, nearly all Americans, conservatives and liberals alike, care for the environment and want to protect it. The only thing that they fight over is global warming. But then again, I am an environmentalist in Oregon, so perhaps "our" Republicans are different from the other Republicans in the U.S. :P

Republicans don't even have a strong presence in Oregon. Oregon is a very blue state, though it's not as blue as California. Climate change has been mostly divided in the Republican party, though more and more Republicans have become more accepting of it. Even if they don't, and some believe it's naturally caused, both parties are usually fine with funding alternate energy programs or conserving resources.

• Brohoof 3

Given that she's had such a strong following over the years, I'm not surprised that her fans are questioning her when it comes to her political views. I don't blame her for being passionate considering what happened last week, yet some things are best left unsaid especially in a public forum otherwise people will take it the wrong way. Tara Strong is allowed to speak her mind and I do agree with what she's saying, but maybe she should have been a bit more subdued with her approach.

• Brohoof 5

Having a public political position alienates about a third of your fans regardless of what position you have.  In essence people are split between invested enough on one side or the other to take some offense at a strongly stated position on the other side, and people who aren't invested.  If you are considering a career as an actor, or even something like a doctor, it is best to keep one's political position to one's self regardless of side.

• Brohoof 4

Reminds me of John De Lancie's recent, anti-Republican rant -- about their constant gridlock against Obama.

Um, Mr. De Lancie, sir?

They're not doing it out of petty dislike; they're doing it because his policies keep causing all hell to break loose.

That's what happens when neither side backs down. It's how they allowed the fiscal cliff and the debt ceiling debates to go on a lot longer than they should have.

Election season just passed, and one of the most contentious elections since 1860. Of course everyone is very political, and probably will be for some time to come. But people get a lot of steam built up inside of them around elections, so give it time and let it settle and it'll pass.

And then we'll start it all over again in 2018 to a lesser extent and in full in 2020. Welcome to the elective process in America.

• Brohoof 4

Tara, Tabitha, and John aren't the only ones with political views.  Even the creator of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Lauren Faust has some similar views to the three voice actors.

I'm not seeing any love on Twitter for Donald Trump from anyone involved with the show, past or present. Reactions have ranged from mild disappointment to outright refusing to acknowledge him as president. Strong, Faust, the Corletts and Bryan Drummond have been especially brutal to him.

Also, I never knew Tabitha was a Sanders supporter.

I'm not seeing any love on Twitter for Donald Trump from anyone involved with the show, past or present. Reactions have ranged from mild disappointment to outright refusing to acknowledge him as president. Strong, Faust, the Corletts and Bryan Drummond have been especially brutal to him.

Also, I never knew Tabitha was a Sanders supporter.

To be honest, I actually wanted Sanders to win the Democratic nomination because I liked his charisma and his ideas better than Hillary's.

• Brohoof 3

To be honest, I actually wanted Sanders to win the Democratic nomination because I liked his charisma and his ideas better than Hillary's.

Sanders actually had a platform. Hillary had a list of appliance features. It's why she lost those vital mid-west states that would have swung the EC.

• Brohoof 5

Actors are 99% ultra liberal and bleed for the democratic party.

They also feel that it's part of their job to be political, because their "art" is for the "people."  Tara seems to be no different.

Ignore the millions of dollars and mansions, please.

• Brohoof 5

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to necro this thread, but Tara seems to only tweet political crap now.

Today she's retweeted a picture that generalizes Trump supporters as KKK members, Nazis, and a number of other extremist groups. This may be the final straw for me. I love Tara's acting and voice, but seeing tweet after tweet of how Trump voters are practically Satan, I can only stand so much.

• Brohoof 4

I don't mean to necro this thread, but Tara seems to only tweet political crap now.

Today she's retweeted a picture that generalizes Trump supporters as KKK members, Nazis, and a number of other extremist groups. This may be the final straw for me. I love Tara's acting and voice, but seeing tweet after tweet of how Trump voters are practically Satan, I can only stand so much.

TFW the lead VA of one of your favorite shows generalizes you as practically Cthulhu:

:(

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 2