Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone Notice Tara Strong Is Very Political?

GXPBlast

• 1 month later...

So, i’ve just been getting into My Little Pony since some of my friends have talked about the show, and I am sad to hear it’s ending, but I’m just a casual fan right now and don’t see myself ever becoming a hardcore brony minus collecting merchandise (toys, DVDs, etc). But I signed up here just to reply to this thread and you won’t hear from me again afterwards. But anyway.....

I have seen some of Tara’s political rants on Twitter and can agree, she can be a bit over the top with them at times. But, here’s where I’m also going to defend her on a few things. 

Tara has always come off as a pretty down to earth person with a great sense of humor (I mean, the fact that she can playfully troll her fans on social media and at cons shows she has a good heart and is dedicated to her fans; she even playfully trolled me when I met her at RI Comic con last November and mentioned she was always one of my favorite voice actors from my childhood, asking me in kind of a sassy tone, “Well, who’s your favorite??? You can only have one! :mlp_huh:“ to which we both had a good laugh and I just said it was her (which, may not necessarily be true, but she’s definitely high up. Though I will admit, she has always been my favorite female voice actress), but even the nicest people can have their ugly moments. That’s just what makes us human. If we were happy all the time, we would be robots.

And another thing to consider is politics is never exactly a fun topic to talk about, unless you know the right group of people to discuss them with. And putting myself in her shoes, I can understand why she hates Trump - she’s Jewish and a woman. Let’s not forget Trump has made some pretty sexist comments against women (“grab them by the pussy” and other nasty comments) and has shown some hatred towards Jews. 

I think another thing i’ve learned is it seems as though she doesn’t like to have her mind changed when it comes to stuff she believes, and this is just something to be very common in general when talking about politics. People believe what they want, and at the end of the day, the best you can do is just let them figure it out themselves. It’s pretty much a proven point that people don’t like their minds being changed with facts. Even I’m guilty of being like that. 

Personally, I just choose to avoid talking about politics in general with people unless I trust them. In Tara’s case, she may not be the best at debating about them, and that’s fine. I certainly am not good at debating about them myself. Some of her views I agree with (I guess the main big one being that Trump is a big piece of shit) and her thoughts on guns (yes, I believe they do kill people. Not saying they should be banned entirely, but should be given to the right people with background checks and licenses, etc). Whatever I don’t agree with I just keep my mouth shut as I would with anyone else. 

I also saw that one post where she defended herself back in 2016 and can’t exactly say I blame her. It sounded like she was getting a lot of crap thrown at her over stating her political views on her own personal Twitter just because all they want to hear is stuff related to voice acting. Look, she’s a very popular and talented voice actress, I get that. But at the same time, she’s still a person like everyone else, and that’s where I can definitely see why she was frustrated. People just expected too much out of her, and that’s where I feel some people on this forum are also guilty of. Honestly, if her political views bother you so much, why not just unfollow her? It’s really not that difficult. At the end of the day, it’s her twitter page. 

Oh, and I will also say I saw the Uber video when it first came out and I think people were just way too quick to jump the gun. Pretty much Literature Devil’s video really sums up how I feel about it, and if I’m going to be honest, I have absolutely no sympathy for that driver getting fired. The way he was speaking to both women sounds like he has a very low patience with people and is, quite honestly, a ticking time bomb. He was raising his voice most of the time and Tara and Rena were both relatively calm (and heck, I noticed at the beginning, they were trying to let the subject die but the driver had a temper tantrum moment shouting “I WANT TO SPEAK!”); I also noticed he lost his cool when Tara brought up that he would be kicked out under Trump’s rules. I’m also not going to put it past Tara when she brought up that the driver almost killed them, because there was an instance I noticed he was too busy arguing with his passengers instead of paying attention to the road (that, and the fact that he almost parked in a no parking area and ran a stop sign at the end, both of which he should have been paying attention to in the first place).

I do understand where the driver is coming from, though, because as a left leaning person myself, I have dealt with some crazy libs, but if he was really trying to look like the bigger person, he should have just let the subject die at the very beginning instead of trying to throw insults at them (as an Uber driver, he’s driving for a company that he should be representing professionalism for). The fact that he had the nerve to call them racist and say “the lefty is a mental disorder” (which, that comment actually made me lose all sympathy for given that I have depression and I have friends with their own mental health issues; sorry, but I hate when people have the nerve to compare politics to people who actually have these conditions) kind of shows he’s probably had similar issues with other customers and god knows if he threw similar issues. And the way he raised his voice like that would make me feel very uncomfortable to have him as a driver. 

Tara shutting down a fundraiser for her friend’s child’s brain tumor if the kid was wearing a MAGA hat seems....... debatable to me. But that’s still an assumption at the end of the day and even I don’t think she would go that far. 

But, yeah. That’s what I needed to say and I will say no more because I have no intentions of staying on this forum. I’m not here to think for anyone, this is just how I personally feel on the matter of this topic.

Spoiler

One thing I do feel needs to be chimed in about the Uber driver incident is that the reason people are much angrier at Tara is not because she lost her temper too. It's because she claims to be very liberal and against Trump's nationalist policies, yet completely lost her cool with a minority from another country:maud:

I'll just chime in here and say people upset about this are hypocrites at a fundamental level. The people complaining about Tara being political... are being political! It's f***ing stupid and makes no sense. And no, I'm in NO way backing her and such accusations are only proof of my point here.

Just now, Bas said:

I miss the point. I do get the irony, but isn't that like saying the minorities got EVERY pass on misbehaving individually?

No, it means someone who says they care more about minorities than the average person should act like it, to try and be the better person rather than spewing rancor at them and vindictively trying to get them fired. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2016 at 1:57 PM, takai said:

I don't mean to necro this thread, but Tara seems to only tweet political crap now.

Today she's retweeted a picture that generalizes Trump supporters as KKK members, Nazis, and a number of other extremist groups. This may be the final straw for me. I love Tara's acting and voice, but seeing tweet after tweet of how Trump voters are practically Satan, I can only stand so much.

I agree.

Which is exactly why I ditched Twitter a long time ago. Not just cause of Tara but basically everyone else and their negative political crap. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt

Everyone in this country, not just celebrities, needs to keep their political life private. Unless they are a politician and even then, keep it off of entertainment and social media sites. Put it on political sites if you want but other than that, keep it private. Nobody cares what views you have until you voice them. Nobody would be unfollowing Tara if they just KNEW her views but since she doesn't shut up about them they DO care. Just keep it private and what people don't know, they don't care about.