Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Levels you couldn't get past as a kid.

CastletonSnob

We've all been there. When we were younger, we had a level that no matter how hard we tried, we just kept dying on, and then we got so frustrated, we quit. Well, what was yours?

Mine was Allegro Presto in the first Rayman game.

My memories are fuzzy, but I distinctly remember a single level of Donkey Kong Country being impossible for me to complete, to the point I had to ask someone else to beat it for me. it was either Elevator Antics or Necky Nutmare, the latter of which I have come to discover only exists in the GBC port of the game. Given that I was playing said port, I'm inclined to believe it might have been the second one. 

Edited by PoisonClaw

Took me forever to get past the Ice Dungeon in A Link to the Past(SNES version, as the GBA version had some modifications) and Stage 7/8 in Super Castlevania IV(the Library and Dungeon respectively)

*sigh* time for another embarrassing confession. The Deku Tree in Ocarina of Time. Yep, the first dungeon. I could get to the slingshot and get back to the main room, but I couldn't figure out where to go afterwards.

There was a second save file where the previous owner got to hyrule. With 0 context, I just derped around the town and rode the horse in the big open field... But hey, even though I was pretty bad at this game, I could still beat toy story on the SNES somehow!

• Brohoof 1

I remember the penultimate levels of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle being particularly difficult as a kid. Especially Cosmic Railway, I died there a lot because I could never land on the rails and when I finally did get to the end, I couldn't find the rocket to the goal ring.

Phazon Mines in Metroid Prime also tripped me up when I first played them. Very difficult to traverse, tough enemies, just a nightmare back then. Of course, I think the big reason why I stopped playing it wasn't because I couldn't get through that level but because the disc froze during the elevator segments. Little hard to complete it when you could hardly transfer between areas.

And I never made it to the Water Temple as a kid. No, I got stumped at the Forest Temple. In fact, going back and playing it, I still found the Forest Temple more difficult than the Water Temple. But, I was also playing the 3DS version, which made efforts to improve the temple.

I can't remember too many levels in the top of my head, but there is one level in a Nintendo DS game known as Drawn to Life that I hated. It is a boss level, and since this was in the format of an underwater level, the controls were difficult to handle.

The goal of this boss level is that you get chased down by an angler fish of sorts and the only way it takes any damage is with your only weapon, which is a shooter that has the mechanics of the homing attack. But unfortunately the mechanics of that shooter is terrible, so as such it is hard to even hit the angler fish.

Because of the slow controls and the mechanics of your weapon, I would always lose each time I play it as a kid and would ask my brother to help instead. It's a lot easier as I got older, though.

Edited by Odyssey

Ocarina of Time water temple

nuff said  :twi:

^This.  It wasn't until I got a strategy guide for the game that I finally got that one stupid key hidden in the chamber under that floating platform...

Also, the ice cave in Pokemon Gold was a freaking nightmare.  It took SO LONG for me to figure out the puzzle on the sliding ice.  I got through it eventually, but not until I mapped out the entire thing on grid paper.  When I came back to it years later in HeartGold it was significantly easier.

• Brohoof 2

It's not really a level, but when I first got Kingdom Hearts 2 it took forever to beat the optional boss Sephiroth. Just holy cow, that guy had a lot of HP, did tons of damage, and could defeat it you in one hit at one point in the battle if you weren't prepared for it. And then he just brushes it off like nothing in a cutscene when you defeat him at the end. I finally figured out a strategy and defeated him, but only after buying a lot of health potions. Not sure if this guy can be easily beaten by pro-gamers, but it was frustrating as a kid.

Well... I always had great trouble beating the final boss, Dark Gaia, on my favourite game Sonic Unleashed. I mean, it's not a level, but it's difficult! Mainly on the Wii version though... That's when it is extremely difficult! I just couldn't beat Dark Gaia when I was younger, but earlier this year I finally destroyed it! And beat the Xbox360 version.

As for a level... Pretty much ever Career stage on Zoo Tycoon 2 and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3. I'm really not good with spending the virtual money wisely.

Hmm...the ones I remember are Operation: Fallout and Operation: Chrono Storm.from Red Alert 2, the last two Allied missions. I just couldn't beat those in any way. The endless nuclear showers didn't help. :okiedokielokie:

There were a few others that were a pain in the plot, but nothing that I couldn't beat after stubbornly trying over and over again. :P

:( The Lost world area in DK2. :okiedokielokie: 

the_lost_world_01_595.png

:unamused: Beating any one, of these levels was next to impossible as a kid. :angry: It still is like stupidly difficult this

day and age too. :maud: It's beatable though, but only with lots of lives, timing, skill and luck... lots of luck.

• Brohoof 2