Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Friendship Games lame ending

cider float

Okay this is a pretty lame ending and the writing is downright terrible. Everything was actually better than Rainbow Rocks until the ending.

Okay sure up till the part Twilight released the magic that was pretty badass and yeah it's not just another typical mean girls villain but seriously evil Twilight could have just have had better lines and a better motive to what a villain was. Is hate such a bad word to use? That's what Twilight could of been and she could have really showed up Cinch. But yeah could have done better and mere disappointment. The whole point was Twilight was alone she should have become bitter and than tried to kill them all but yeah she just got "possessed" or something. And everyone wins the ending? Come on really? What did we learn here? Nothing absolutely nothing. Just special effects and writing that sounds like it's written by first time RPer middle schoolers on a RP board.

Edited by cider float

I liked some parts about the ending, but what Manman20x6 is what I don't really like about it. It's like they were running out of ideas or rushed to come up with such ending.

Edited by RainCode
  • Brohoof 1

What I dislike most about the ending is that it's practically the same as Equestria Girls 1, just with roles reversed.

In my mind though that is the beauty of the situation that we were presented with. Sunset is essentially presented with a mirror image of what she through herself (though in a different way as Twilight didn't had the cold heart Sunset had in EqG1) and she had to deal with that according to what she learned through friendship.

It was quite powerful; IMO.

• Brohoof 5

I think the ending was more designed for Sunset to show just how far she's come from the first movie, and, argue me on this if you'd like, I believe it firmly cements her status as the true protagonist of Equestria Girls, even over Twilight. Yes, she more or less repeats what Twilight did in the first movie, but that to me just shows a passing of the torch, she's become the Princess she always wanted to be back in Equestria, except now she understands just what it's about. The "evil" Twilight thing did seem a bit forced I'll admit, but it makes a much more powerful and personal message for Sunset than if she just went up against Cinch for whatever reason.

Bottom line, this ending wasn't really meant to be for Twilight. We've already had her story with the original Twilight, and they probably felt that focusing too much on her counterpart again would be redundant at this point. So they forced her into the antagonist role to give Sunset a more personal "Coming full circle" ending.

Maybe we'll see more of a fleshed out story for her in the next movie, considering now she's met her other self. :P

• Brohoof 2

I feel the writers did this on purpose; Sunset's arc through this movie was being able to do things on her own, without the aid of Twilight to catch her when she falls. When she was presented with the situation, Twilight being turned into the thing she had turned into awhile back, she realized something. Sunset had been here before, and was just as caught up as Twilight was; Twilight turned evil because Mrs. Cinch and the gang as Crystal Prep manipulated her with the song "Unleash the Magic". In the lyrics, Mrs. Cinch informs Twilight about how she will learn about the magic her tool possess once she releases it; and there will be no other way to learn about it unless she does so. Twilight's intentions changed as she was walking to the center of the arena where the last Friendship game WOULD have commenced; from a learning opportunity to one of cheating using magic to win. I like to believe the magic in the tool around Twilight's neck can sense when a person has bad intentions rolling around inside of them, which would explain why Sunset used Twilight's crown that was for good for evil, and why Twilight became evil once she unleashed all of the magic inside of the medallion around her neck. Sunset became her counterpart because while everyone else scattered and ran away from midnight Sparkle, Sunset approached her, and tossed the medallion sprinkling the last bit of magic upon herself, obviously she had good intentions with Midnight Sparkle, the magic felt this, and she became Sunset-alicorn-person-lady.

SciTwi's motives through the whole movie was to learn all she could about magic, so of course when she became evil her motives would be to learn everything about magic...evilly. 

The ending was more for Sunset's arc' realizing she had greatness in her and all that. That is why the whole segment looked like it did in EQG 1; it was done on purpose.

Wait you wanted Twilight to kill everyone?

Wat? xD 

While I do agree the ending could've been better, I think the climatic scene was beautiful and inspiring the say the least. 

While some might see it as a simple role reversal, I see it to be much more deeper than that. Sunset started out as a monster and was saved by Twilight and her friends from a path of self destruction. This was a journey from her being a student learning about friendship to a teacher mastering it at the very end which made her an alicorn (or something of it). This was development for Twilight and Sunset.

Even though this Twilight was different from the pony twilight, she ended up helping the very person who helped her in the beginning. The character design for both Twilight and Sunset when they changed were AMAZING and waaaay better than EG 1. I find it a little sad that for some people, they ONLY see it as EG 1 with a role reversal. The build up was completely different and more interesting as it led to the climatic scene. It was super suspenseful  as well thanks to the "Unleash the Magic" song. In EG 1, all you saw was a bratty popular girl be a bully, and basically "mlp fim episode 1" since we were reintroduced to each character almost the same way. It was choppy and poorly written. Even though EG 3 could've been written better, it wasn't as poor as EG 1. 

Also, I don't understand why people thought it would make sense for Twilight's goal to be to destroy Crystal Prep because the students there were mean to her and Cinch blackmailed her into doing something she did not want to do. While WE may think that should have been the motive, it wasn't Twilight's. Throughout the movie, you can she already accepted not having friends and was already accustomed to her mean classmates. Not once did she show a vengeful spirit or wish so it would have been random if all of a sudden she realized she wanted to take revenge on them. Not everyone is vengeful towards people just because they are mistreated. Twilight is way too innocent for that. In my opinion, it made sense that her goal was to get full access to Equestria to gain more power and master it and understand it...because throughout the movie that was what she wanted most. When she turned evil, that goal remained. 

Now AFTER the big showdown....I did find it silly how everyone ended up winning. It would've been a good lesson for there to be no winners because not every ending has an official victory. Twilight transferring to CHS was a bit predictable, but not disappointing because I would love to see the EG franchise stand on it's own from this point out where we will have our mane seven.

• Brohoof 1

The movie was great up till the ending with twilight going evil and ever body winning but like I said before maybe the Blu-ray version of FG will have a post credit like in RR and will show what happen after and tease what will happen in Equestria Girls 4.

It's more of a lack of Twilight interaction towards the ones that got her to release the magic. Exposing them for their idea by using the magic to give them their flag and saying they win, for example.

Principal Cinch motive to have Twilight release the magic because what was it she expected it to do for Crystal Prep.

None of the other Crystal Prep girls were transformed by the magic and no showdown between them with the Mane 6.

Edited by Singe