Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are we expecting too much?

Silver Stream.

While bored, I took it upon myself to surf the web and look at a few Equestrian Girl related conversations and they all seem to be centered around the same debate: how unrealistic it is. Even in some reaction videos I noticed bronies mentioning how certain things doesn't make sense and "this" should happen instead of "that"

And I am curious to gather some of your opinions as well. While I do believe there are a lot of missing components to the movie that leaves many things unexplained, I do think many of us are expecting TOO MUCH out of the MLP franchise and should be content that it doesn't crash. 

For example, many questions like "Where does Sunset live?" or "Why isn't the mane six locked somewhere being experimented on?" and "Why is Cinch pushing Twilight to release the magic when they just witnessed how dangerous it was"? 

While all of these are GREAT questions, I don't think it's fair to expect a good answer. Who knows? Maybe the simpler questions like where Sunset lives and where is the real human sunset will be answered in future films or a possible spin-off series, but is it really fair to expect some sort of explanation in how the human world accepts magic so easily? 

If you ask me, characters like Cinch isn't a big surprise and should not be analyzed too critically since it's rather a cliche to begin with. In many other films....in fact...in real life, we do have people who fail to look past their ignorance and insist things done their own way even if it means bringing an unknown danger to others. The fact that "the government" hasn't tried to lock the school down is something to be expected since Hasbros is trying to bring the magic of Equestria into an alternate universe. 

If we are looking for realistic outcomes of bizarre and other worldly events, then there would be no point for Equestria girls at all? Hasbros did this to give us something new to enjoy....and honestly I think it's best to simply enjoy another silly creation with exceptional characters and scenes than to stress yourself on mashing real world dilemmas with fantasy happenings. 

• Brohoof 5

I agree with you. Some people over analyze MLP and fail to remember that "It's just a cartoon designated to little girls." Quotation added because personally I think it's expanded beyond that. But back to the subject at hand, I can't even compare our world to Equestrian Girls world because of the simple fact that it looks so peaceful and of course the whole magic thing. Good questions to be asked are something on the line of "Why did the ShadowBolts not get more character development/ screen time?" And even then I won't beat my head over one small thing.

And just like you, I just enjoy what I watch.

• Brohoof 2

393294__safe_solo_twilight%2Bsparkle_ani

I mean.. remember, My Little Pony and Equestria Girls are intentionally for young girls, and we're enjoying it. Obviously bronies would ask tons of questions about more details. 

I just don't understand why ;~; 

• Brohoof 3

Willing Suspension of Disbelief

You can ask an audience to believe the impossible, but not the improbable.

When the author pushes an audience beyond what they're willing to accept, the work fails in the eyes of that particular audience.

Different people will have different thresholds for what they're willing to accept in Friendship is Magic, and what may break one person's acceptance may not necessarily have the same effect on another.

Edited by Singe

That is true, but in knowing that the pony universe is about to turn over into an alternate universe in which humans exist, there is no questioning how extreme it would be if it was handled by the higher authority. 

I get there are still a few things that needs to be explained, as I said, the real sunset's whereabouts, and how many things are even possible when it comes to the Friendship games having personalized bikes and a huge track that seemed too overthetop for a high school competition. 

But if people are expecting or even wondering why magic in the human world isn't attracting more realistic dangers....or annoyed that they are accepting the fact that magic even exists...then they should not watch the movies at all. 

I'm not saying the the audience should accept what is pretty much hard to ignore (the unexplained). But don't criticize a kids show too harshly because of it.....and to expect what might be a disaster for EG might be expecting too much.  

They have social media and phones to record, but the excitement of "magic" has been downplayed. I would chalk that up to some agreement with the whole school not to expose themselves and disrupt the school. 

Mmm that reminds me of how Rainbowdash will show off her magic without considering the consequences. It does make sense for the school to all be on one accord to not expose magic like that....I do wonder if "magic" is even considered a secret at CHS since they don't seem to be working hard to keep it a secret. I was amused that VP Luna mentioned she didn't want magic around the games because they didn't want to be accused of cheating instead of "we don't the world to know and go into a panic". 

But it's a kid show, what make sense to us will not always happen in movies and shows like MLP and MLP EG. Having your own opinion about it is fine, but again, I don't think it's fair to hold it against them and expect too much. 

Like Dr.Wolf said perfectly a lot of people are expecting something epic like The Lord Of The Rings type of story. Or even something bigger than that. And they always forget it's for little girls,it always will be.

• Brohoof 1

This post instantly reminded of this:

Anyway as a group we may be. Too many "analyst" who take the show too seriously, and too many "kids" who take their "content" as an objective fact.

If Chrysalis taught me anything, it's that having a hive mind is bad. Don't be a part of it.

• Brohoof 3

I expect it to be funny and relatable. If someone makes stupid decisions or act completely unrelatable, I have a harder time.... relating.
Now I'm not one that complains about these things, however don't bash people who enjoys analyzing the show.

Maybe, but I say it depends on how one is able to tamper these expectation in the first place as a lack or excess of expectations potentially creates issues with the perception of the actual content in the first place by skewering one's perspective. Of course there is a place and room to ask questions but sometimes I think some people get wrapped up in the hypotheticals and that leads to a slippery slope.

Edited by UnknownFry
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm going to make this very clear to anyone who might get offended by expressing my opinion: This isn't bashing those who analyze the show. And not once did I say or even inquire it was a bad thing. I even mentioned these were all GREAT questions to consider and not once did I blame anyone for asking them. I said I saw it as unfair for us to expect those realistic outcomes that could very much end everything for The Equestria Girls. Unless that's what people want I would leave a few things as they are. Not EVERYTHING, but a few things just the same.

I'm simply saying that by over analyzing a show that's a highly unrealistic in the beginning with a pony jumping into a human universe where the magic of friendship exist because a bratty teen stole an elemental crown....it's a little frustrating to expect major releastic outcomes to the show. Where is the other Sunset? Where does she live? Is magic really a secret? How many others saw the rainbow lazor thing since the Sirens were able to see it?......these can be answered without jeapordizing the show imo. But to genuinely want and expect things like the governemtn taking over to experiment, or to want a character to seriously get hurt because of a disaster...is it fair to expect that? I thunk not but if others do, then fine

@Blaze: I understand what you're saying on that part, but whether an individual can relate with a character or not is completely up to them. In fact, I don't think I'm even referring to that at all. That's a completely different topic altogether. For instance, I find PinkiePie annoying and completely unrelatable and that she only exists to break the ice and give us a laugh. But others might find her relatable because they share her passion to make people smile and to not be serious all the time. It all depends on the person and how they see the character and how much they are willing to accept about them when it comes to how realistic the decisions they make.

Unknownfry pretty much has it summed up.

I'd like to keep this discussion as friendly and considerate as possible to avoid any conflict. If I say anything that personally offends you, again, I apologize but try not to do the same and jump to conclusions I'm bashing on your beliefs

Edited by Princess Sunset
  • Brohoof 1

Sometimes Bronies feel like they have to over-analyse everything.

Asking questions like "Did Equestrian Sunset Shimmer kill human Sunset Shimmer?" or "Why hasn't everyone involved in magic in the human world been arrested?" is just over-complicating matters.

• Brohoof 1

Asking questions like "Did Equestrian Sunset Shimmer kill human Sunset Shimmer?" or "Why hasn't everyone involved in magic in the human world been arrested?" is just over-complicating matters.

Haha!! My roommates and I we're talking about that last night. "I BET SUNSET KILLED THE HUMAN SUNSET" but it was all on good fun. Personally, I don't see anything wrong to analyze the show but my only concern is that a lot of people EXPECT major realistic outcomes. That's my thing.

• Brohoof 1

The second question is easy to explain, it would be difficult to prove the use of magic without seeming ridiculous. Sunset Shimmer could have been arrested, but the evidence to prove the method is magic and eye witness testimony is useless. Expulsion is also out of the question since Sunset Shimmer has no parents or guardian for Celestia to talk with and the procedure would require a hearing.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

I think at the very least some people are expecting too much. Realism has never been a factor in MLP, nor will it ever be. This is a show about magical, multi-colored, talking horses. This movie takes it further by bringing one of those magical horses into a world somewhat like ours, with amazing technicolor people instead of horses.

I think the question of human Sunset's whereabouts might yet be answered in the next movie, but even if it isn't it really doesn't matter.

It becomes a different matter when the film seems to be inconsistent with itself and the rules of its own universe. This happened, for instance, in Rainbow Rocks with the pony transformation being triggered by music. It's commented on in the film, then discarded. I think it's fairly reasonable to expect a question like that to be answered within the movie, because of its enormous significance to the plot. Friendship Games made the magic more logical by having it trigger on strong expression of their elements. Even my headcanon has no satisfactory answer to the 'musical transformation' thing, though.

My bottom line is that some people expect too much from questions unrelated to the plot, but when a question is very much tied to the plot like in RR, it deserves an answer.

Note that I don't consider Cinch's behavior a strike against the film because 1) sociopaths exist and 2) hardline coaches/teachers at rival schools are a standard element in high school sports movies and I think Cinch was portrayed rather well.

• Brohoof 1

Note that I don't consider Cinch's behavior a strike against the film because 1) sociopaths exist and 2) hardline coaches/teachers at rival schools are a standard element in high school sports movies and I think Cinch was portrayed rather well.

Celestia and Luna were in the same boat as Cinch.

Luna was worried about the magic being a problem that could get them in trouble for cheating, The wait until the race ends response to the Giant Piranha Plant attack. I'm not really seeing a strong showing from Luna or Celestia on the safety of the students.

Edited by Singe