Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Wow, Big Mac.... I'm impressed

pony.colin

Wow, Big Mac .... I'm really impressed by this episode.  I'm not actually sure if this is going to be topic that has a lot of discussion,

But, can I get a minute to actually praise Big Mac in all of this?  I'm really actually impressed and delighted at how Big Mac's character was written throughout this episode and I'm quite surpirsed that I would actually say that. 

Up until Brotherhooves social I pretty much thought that Big Mac was only going to remain as a gag character for the series. I've long accepted his shtick of being the strong silent type, a stallion of few words (haha, not even three, more like two words at best some times).  I never really thought of Big Mac going beyond his trope since he was going to be a minor character after all.

What I find most delightful about brotherhooves social is that, it felt like a well written and well-excuted episode.  Yes, I know its obvious that up until this point, Big Mac was almost like a blank slate character that one could work with well.  He was never really meant to be a main character and he was genuinely going to be a minor support character throughout the series.  And that meant that you could have a lot of wiggle room on writing BIg Mac's character for this episode.  But it just felt like it was welll excuted and that's why I want to praise it.  Okay maybe I should just focus on this one basic element about the episode to make it clear.  I'm not going to go through a detailed analysis of this epsiode but I think what I want to talk about is about the pay-off. 

Big Mac's confession, which was really the thing I was hoping for as the episode approached its ending.  I know Big Mac has spoken more than his two token words before, but he's never spoken like this before.  And that's being able to actually talk about his feelings and his motives, his understanding of his relationship between him and Applebloom and Applejack and even his position within the Apple family and pony life in general.  It was a really detailed explanation for why he did the things in Brotherhooves social (I know it seems un-extrodinary, but it seems so much more considering that his gag trope, almost, up until this point, seemed like it definined his whole personality and character altogether).  I just felt that honest explanation about himself was ... well rather beautiful. I almost can imagine that Big Mac probably has a lot more to say on things but (as previously shown) he is either cut-off (as a gag) or his character and thoughts were never meant to matter in the first place considering his position in the series as a character.  Hmm, I think I'm crossing into different things whether I'm taking the work of fiction to mean something so real or if I'm trying to make it feel like its real.  Maybe we could use this thread as the, "what you thought of Big Mac, and insert rant about this aspect from the Brotherhooves Social" ?  (congrats to Peter New, Dave Polsky, Michelle Creber and everyone involved in this episode; it felt really well written to me.)  Now if only they could get a certain small dragon to as well written as BM was here.

Thoughts on Big Mac from this episode?

• Brohoof 2

I think this ep shows a good hidden depth of Mac we rarely have seen or been aloud too sadly.  His cannon has a lot of potential which now we got a good peek into but also that the guy has a bit of a big brain in how we saw him talk and deal with things.   I hope MLP gives the stallions a bit more of a love swing after this!

I actually teared up at the end of this episode. i really appreciate that they showed this side of the Apple Family, and his feelings felt very real...even if the whole show-up-in-drag-to-fool-the-judges thing felt sort of out of character.