Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Sunset Shimmer Become an Alicorn?

best poni

Well if I'm looking at the ending to Equestrian Girls Friendship Games right, it implies that she already is one. Then again we won't really know unless she steps through the mirror again, so really that's up for debate.

Now as to whether or not she should be one, honestly I really don't know. Yes, she is a master magic user, has beaten two major threats, reforming one of them and has grown as a character throughout the course of the movies but still I don't know if that's enough yet. You could say yes as she managed to accomplish quite a bit in three movies but on the other hand Twilight had to accomplish quite a bit over the first three seasons to earn her title. Not only did she have to face 4 major threats and revisit one of them (three if you count the comics), she also had to learn multiple lessons about friendship, finish a spell by Star swirl and if you look at the background events of season 3 she also had to take a bit of a prep course (her advanced studies) in order to earn the right to become an alicorn. So really, I can't say whether she should be one or not.

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 1

YESH!!!

The guys and girls at Hasbro may be hinting that she already is one, considering she had both a horn and wings during the Friendship Games final and that they teased us with her going back through the portal, maybe that's preventing us from knowing if she really has become one from her own merit, to be honest she deserves it with all the good she's done so far and she would be a beautiful princess!

Princess Sunset Shimmer the Princess of redemption.

• Brohoof 1

They should make everyone an alicorn.

2259764.jpg

Lol did you miss the last scene of fg...she IS an alicorn

It would be the second time she gain wings, AND NOT BY DRINKING RED BULL  :blink: . I think she's pretty much an alicorn by now  :comeatus: . The only thing she has to do is use the portal, and she'll get her wings in 30 minutes at most  :catface: . I remember when we first speculated about alicorn Sunny when she became a phoenix super saiyan earlier this year  :twi:. Or it was later last year?  :huh:  

Well if I'm looking at the ending to Equestrian Girls Friendship Games right, it implies that she already is one. Then again we won't really know unless she steps through the mirror again, so really that's up for debate.

Now as to whether or not she should be one, honestly I really don't know. Yes, she is a master magic user, has beaten two major threats, reforming one of them and has grown as a character throughout the course of the movies but still I don't know if that's enough yet. You could say yes as she managed to accomplish quite a bit in three movies but on the other hand Twilight had to accomplish quite a bit over the first three seasons to earn her title. Not only did she have to face 4 major threats and revisit one of them (three if you count the comics), she also had to learn multiple lessons about friendship, finish a spell by Star swirl and if you look at the background events of season 3 she also had to take a bit of a prep course (her advanced studies) in order to earn the right to become an alicorn. So really, I can't say whether she should be one or not.

It's true it would look like Twi became an alicorn by doing more than Sunny, but it's about learning, and not the times they save the world to gain wings  :smug:

I think Sunset deserves to be an alicorn, but I doubt that would happen. I think Celestia sees her as a guardian in another realm of her own now; and believes with Twilight's teachings Sunset has the power to be just as great as Twlight just in an alternate reality. Sunset not becoming an alicorn is sad...but Sunset has dealt with situations that have greater gravity than a lot of the other alicorn's situations; Star Swirl banished the sirens to the real world because in the comic it says their power at the time outweighed his own, and Sunset took all three of them down. 

Sunset has my respect.

• Brohoof 1

While I fully believe it is Sunset's destiny to become a princess, I don't think she should become an alicorn in the series proper. In my headcanon she's Celestia's successor (not Twilight, her role is unique to her and she has no predecessor) as the Solar Princess, possibly becoming an alicorn after discovering a better spell to raise the sun, or influence it in some beneficial way.

Unless they intend to do something meaningful with it than by crossing the franchises together properly, as there would not be a point to do so if Sunset was not going to become of more a presence on the show.

Well...

The way I see it, she's more like a Valet Key - in the sense that, she acted as a substitute for Twilight, utilizing the powers of the remaining HuMane 5...  But if you focus on the logic of the battle scene, you should learn something about how she won, and what it means.  Her magical powers were not strong enough to win, but she won via words.

Should she become an alicorn?  Keep reading.

Despite how some may feel about how canonical the movies are, and furthermore, how much connection they have to the show...  There's much more than meets the eye.  Let me ask and answer this:

What reason did they have to create that ending scene with Sunset?

We know from the show that Sunset was Celestia's student before Twilight, but that Sunset - for obvious reasons - never became what Celestia would have wanted in a star student; Twilight, though, had what it took.  Celestia saw the potential in Twilight from the beginning, and knew she'd become the star student she wanted - so that she could crown another princess one day... And thus, cue the S3 finale.

But the show makers knew they weren't about to throw Sunset under the rug, even way back in the beginning of the show.  They wanted to make another big surprise... Cue the EQG movies, and especially Friendship Games.

If you want to know how I really feel about Sunset...

[i believe] her cutie mark's design represents something much deeper in meaning than most may have ever thought.

The multi-colored sun seems to be deriven from a certain symbol, one that represents a a balance of harmony between light and dark, day and night, good and evil.

sunset_shimmer_cutie_mark_by_chainchomp2

2000px-Yin_yang.svg.png

Yes, the Yin Yang.  She knows what it's like to be both good and bad.  She learned from those mistakes, and strived to help make balance in the human world.

It is for this very reason that my answer to the OP is so convoluted.

The rule of thumb is that all alicorns are princesses; all are royalty with special jobs.  Sunset Shimmer could never become a princess in Equestria.  However, that doesn't mean I'm saying "no."

I think that the chronology could allow for a different kind of thing from normal.  It's possible that through Twilight learning of what happened (which, judging by the very ending of FG, she will), she could explain it all to [Equestrian] Princess Celestia, and Celestia may find that Sunset could be given a new, special title...

Sunset could be given alicorn ability - but only for the human world.  She wouldn't be a princess, but rather, a sort of hidden weapon.  She could remain in the human world, and help human Twilight with her studies.  If ever something bad came to happen again, and [Equestrian] Princess Twilight couldn't make it again, Sunset could yield the elements of the others (like she did in FG).

This is why I compared Sunset to a "Valet Key" - a valet key is a special spare key for a car that starts it, but will only allow the car to reach 30 miles per hour.  Sunset could yield the elements and defend against enemies, in her human-alicorn form (like in FG), but she wouldn't be able to yield them with as much magical power as Twilight - but her special ability, as we saw in the battle scene, is being able to use words along with her magic to blow out the fuse of the enemy.  

~ Miles

EDIT:

Oops, I forgot to mention something I feel is equally important about her cutie mark and its relation to the Yin Yang.  I believe that her cutie mark signifies that she is like a Phoenix.  She was turned from bad to good, and the flames surrounding the sort of Yin Yang sun show that she was, metaphorically speaking, reborn.  Furthermore, her wings in the battle scene obviously look very similar to a phoenix's wings.

Edited by Miles

It's possible. Perhaps she possesses the trait in the human world that you could consider one now, but I don't think she's there QUITE yet. He serves as a substitute for Twilight in the alternate universe.

But I think she will become a full alicorn soon. Celestia chose her for a reason...granted, Sunset took a darker path and wasn't ready back then but Celestia wouldn't just choose anyone. She obviously saw something in her. One could argue Celestial made a mistake, but did she really? Perhaps she made a mistake for filling Sunset's head too soon which was crippling her in the first place, but now Sunset is getting better. Her arc is completed....if she isn't an alicorn now, oh she will be.

(Mobile)

I don't really know.

With My Past Is Not Today and the Friendship Games ending, I could why she could be an alicorn.

But then again I don't know if I really want her to become an alicorn princess in the first place.

I don't like judging ideas independent of their execution, but she shouldn't. There's already 4 alicorns on the show, which to me is 2 too many. Even if there are good in-universe reasons, converting more ponies to alicorns will make that status lose meaning, otherwise why not just change the rest of the Mane 6 into alicorns? In my mind, alicorns are a special species since there aren't more of them living among the regular ponies in Equestria. And if The Journal of the Two Sisters is anything to go by, they probably are special. Of course, the key words are "in my mind," so unless the show goes deeper into the  lore, converting another pony into one is already a bad move.

Edited by Number107