Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Looking for tips on drawing an OC

SkyBurner's_Legion

So I've been a Brony for about a year and a half yet I am just now considering drawing my first OC. I am not the best drawer but I'm not looking to make a well refined masterpiece. Just some basics. Any tips anyone would like to offer? I considered going to some generator on a website because that takes the fun and creativity out it.

You thought about using the creator because it takes the fun and creativity out of it? I guess you could try recolouring an existing pony, which should be even less fun.

Kidding aside, and assuming that isn't what you meant, just do what feels right. Browse some mane and tail styles you like and tailor them to your OC's personality. Think of what colours make the most sense...muted colours versus flashy colours again for personality; maybe select them based on their talent...my OC's scheme is modeled after a style of classical guitar.

If you are simply looking for drawing tips, perhaps browsing some reference sheets will do some good...help you work out the pose and whatnot.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

You could start with practicing tracing pony bases that you can find on the internet & eventually try to draw them on your own from scratch once you've gotten the hang of tracing them. I personally use pony bases that I find on the net to make my OC's because I'm not the best at drawing them from scratch but I can make the mane styles on my own & once I've finished, I draw them digitally on Inkscape. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

You could start with practicing tracing pony bases that you can find on the internet & eventually try to draw them on your own from scratch once you've gotten the hang of tracing them. I personally use pony bases that I find on the net to make my OC's because I'm not the best at drawing them from scratch but I can make the mane styles on my own & once I've finished, I draw them digitally on Inkscape. :fluttershy:

I do the exact same thing tracing bases. I have not gotten to the point of drawing them on my own yet.

I am not the most artistic person here, out of everyone on this site, I am probably in the like, bottom 5%...

But, I do edit, and I do have to check over stories and cover art for many things...

And as said person, I can say without a doubt, that if this is your first time, go with your least powerful, more basic OC.

People will try to draw their super complicated and overly awesome OC right off the bat and make (no offense) a giant mess of them.

try and avoid that, go with someone who could be a background character first. 

now if you have experience drawing, that is a different story....

Then just get a hang of the body type you want, and then go crazy... 

but avoid crayons....

you start to draw with crayons, and your inner kindergartner comes out... 

and well yea, I think you get the idea...