Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Amending Fences" question

arftbmrf

Spike didn't have a problem with that when he remarked about her being an awful friend

He was commenting on the irony of her having USED TO be a bad friend, whereas NOW she is the princess of friendship. She changed, she grew. That's the key here. Twilight now is not the same pony she was back in Canterlot. She WAS not a good friend, but NOW she is. Back THEN she didn't feel guilty about missing Moondancer's party, because she didn't appreciate Moondancer as a potential friend. NOW she does feel guilty, because she realizes that she was being pretty ignorant and probably came off as stuck up, and NOW she is ashamed of herself.

• Brohoof 2

He was commenting on the irony of her having USED TO be a bad friend, whereas NOW she is the princess of friendship. She changed, she grew. That's the key here. Twilight now is not the same pony she was back in Canterlot. She WAS not a good friend, but NOW she is. Back THEN she didn't feel guilty about missing Moondancer's party, because she didn't appreciate Moondancer as a potential friend. NOW she does feel guilty, because she realizes that she was being pretty ignorant and probably came off as stuck up, and NOW she is ashamed of herself.

Twilight is a... well, I won't say this word or I'll be banned. But you've got the idea. She abandoned a friend, which should be unforgivable crime in Equestria. I'd have made it like this, if I was in power there.

The main reason why Twilight felt so guilty about missing the party was because that she had left her Canterlot friends so abruptly, that she started to think that they moved on away from her. Moon Dancer considered Twilight her best friend and once she found out that Twilight couldn't make it to her party, that's when she closed up from friendship. That's why it took a pretty big apology from Twilight.  

Twilight is a... well, I won't say this word or I'll be banned. But you've got the idea. She abandoned a friend, which should be unforgivable crime in Equestria. I'd have made it like this, if I was in power there.

Yes, she did abandon a friend.

But she didn't do it out of malice, she did it out of ignorance. She didn't consider her Canterlot friends to be friends until she learned what friendship was ... when she was already in Ponyville. Though I agree that after learning about friendship, she should have given thought to her old gang way sooner than she did. 

• Brohoof 1

Yes, she did abandon a friend.

But she didn't do it out of malice, she did it out of ignorance. She didn't consider her Canterlot friends to be friends until she learned what friendship was ... when she was already in Ponyville. Though I agree that after learning about friendship, she should have given thought to her old gang way sooner than she did. 

Then why they stated from the beginning that she didn't have friends? And also:

"Before I moved to Ponyville, he (Shining Armor) was the only pony I really accepted as a friend"

Did Larson watch the show?

Then why she was upset about missing a birthday? Why did she literally jumped out of her skin to make up to Moondancer? I don't think anyone would've even bothered to apologise to their acquaintances for that.

Because Twilight is extra sensitive about friendship and feels more obligated towards it now that she is the princess of friendship and because the writers have nothing to write about Twilight so they revisit older parts of her history.

Yes, I'd love to learn about it from the perfect society which is what Equestria supposed to be.

No, it's not.  It was never suppose to be perfect.  It's a lot nicer than the real world, but it's not perfect.  Nothing is, and nothing can be, not even in fiction.  I can't think of a single way in which a good story could be made if the society and characters in question were perfect.  And it seems to me that we can't really learn much from perfect beings, since there's no such thing, and because humans aren't perfect.  FIM teaches how to deal with problems we face, and mistakes we make.  This is much more useful than trying to emulate a perfect being, which is impossible.  Comparing oneself to a standard of perfection never ends well, and that would be a horrible lesson for kids.

I want to see how to make things right, not how to fix mistakes.

These two things seem to be one and the same to me.  If you're trying to say that you want to learn how to be perfect from the get-go, and never make mistakes in the first place, then I suggest you figure out how to stop being human, because that's the only way you're going to do it.  Again, we all make mistakes.  Learning how to fix them is more useful than learning how to be perfect, which is impossible.  But the idea here is to learn from the show, so that we can hopefully avoid the mistakes that the characters have made.

The show is saying that even the princess of friendship will abandon you.

It's saying that even the Princess of Friendship is a pony too, and can make mistakes, but she did everything she could to fix it.  You know, I'll give you this: most of the time, all you see on the forums is the Mary Sue Club raging that Twilight is too perfect and never makes mistakes, and the writers should have her screw up more so she'll be relatable again.  It certainly is rare to see the opposite.

She abandoned a friend, which should be unforgivable crime in Equestria. I'd have made it like this, if I was in power there.

And that's why a dictatorship doesn't work, and why laws like that wouldn't work.  If this was the law of the land, then I dare say that every pony in the world would be locked away, because they've all made friendship related mistakes, and treated others poorly at some point, but never out of malice.  That's why forgiveness exists.  When someone makes a mistake, feels bad about what they've done, and does what they can to rectify it, then we can forgive them.  Twilight's mistake was not even remotely the same to, say, a deadbeat parent running out on their family or something.  She didn't think of her acquaintances in Canterlot as friends back then.  They tried to befriend her, but she never really reciprocated.  When she left, it never occurred to her that they, particularly Moondancer, would be hurt.  When she realized, she felt terrible and did everything she could to right the wrong.  I'd hate to live in a world where she would be unforgivable.

I'm really sorry for whatever happened to you in the past, but it seems to me that the most important thing you could take away from this show is what Twilight said at the end of this episode (paraphrasing): don't let the actions of whoever hurt you in the past stop you from being friends with anyone else.  That's the best thing anyone could take away.

• Brohoof 2

No, it's not.  It was never suppose to be perfect.  It's a lot nicer than the real world, but it's not perfect.  Nothing is, and nothing can be, not even in fiction.  I can't think of a single way in which a good story could be made if the society and characters in question were perfect.  And it seems to me that we can't really learn much from perfect beings, since there's no such thing, and because humans aren't perfect.  FIM teaches how to deal with problems we face, and mistakes we make.  This is much more useful than trying to emulate a perfect being, which is impossible.  Comparing oneself to a standard of perfection never ends well, and that would be a horrible lesson for kids.

These two things seem to be one and the same to me.  If you're trying to say that you want to learn how to be perfect from the get-go, and never make mistakes in the first place, then I suggest you figure out how to stop being human, because that's the only way you're going to do it.  Again, we all make mistakes.  Learning how to fix them is more useful than learning how to be perfect, which is impossible.  But the idea here is to learn from the show, so that we can hopefully avoid the mistakes that the characters have made.

It's saying that even the Princess of Friendship is a pony too, and can make mistakes, but she did everything she could to fix it.  You know, I'll give you this: most of the time, all you see on the forums is the Mary Sue Club raging that Twilight is too perfect and never makes mistakes, and the writers should have her screw up more so she'll be relatable again.  It certainly is rare to see the opposite.

And that's why a dictatorship doesn't work, and why laws like that wouldn't work.  If this was the law of the land, then I dare say that every pony in the world would be locked away, because they've all made friendship related mistakes, and treated others poorly at some point, but never out of malice.  That's why forgiveness exists.  When someone makes a mistake, feels bad about what they've done, and does what they can to rectify it, then we can forgive them.  Twilight's mistake was not even remotely the same to, say, a deadbeat parent running out on their family or something.  She didn't think of her acquaintances in Canterlot as friends back then.  They tried to befriend her, but she never really reciprocated.  When she left, it never occurred to her that they, particularly Moondancer, would be hurt.  When she realized, she felt terrible and did everything she could to right the wrong.  I'd hate to live in a world where she would be unforgivable.

I'm really sorry for whatever happened to you in the past, but it seems to me that the most important thing you could take away from this show is what Twilight said at the end of this episode (paraphrasing): don't let the actions of whoever hurt you in the past stop you from being friends with anyone else.  That's the best thing anyone could take away.

If I was the one who runs MLP, I'd have made it perfect. And show the perfect relationship, perfect friendship, perfect characters and so on. Yes, I would like that. Don't think that everyone thinks the same, please. It has to be perfect, because we need to see how perfect characters act. To become like them.

And I really 'love' that quote: "don't let the actions of whoever hurt you in the past stop you from being friends with anyone else".

I absolutely 'love' it. It's like: "Hey, your friend abandoned you? Don't care, make another one. Another one abandoned you? Make another one! Keep doing that, don't stop. The most friends will abandon you, the more you can make, so they will abandon you later."

Dozens. Dozens times I was abandoned. I took the advice, and tried to follow it. Here's the outcome. I was abandoned, moved on, become friends with someone else, was abandoned, moved on, and it was happening for a long time.

Doesn't soud like a good advice, if you ask me.

P.S. Sorry, if I sound agressive. Didn't mean to.

I think you're being a little too hard on Twilight, tbh. 

You might be reading too much into this, or missing the point. Yes, the now Princess of Friendship did abandon her old "friends" (if you can call them that), but now that she is a much more mature, developed "Princess of Friendship", she made sure to right her mistakes. As another poster said, not everyone is perfect. Not everyone gets it right the first time.

• Brohoof 2

Alot of people here seem to be forgetting that when Twilight left Canterlot there was a 1000 year old evil alicorn about to inflict Eternal Darkness across Equestria looming on the horizon... i'm pretty sure thats a decent reason to not be able to hang out with your friends, plus she moved to Ponyville on Celestia's decree. I don't see Moondancer and co turning around saying no to her.

Plus they could have visited Twilight in ponyville if they wanted to.

• Brohoof 1

I think you're being a little too hard on Twilight, tbh. 

You might be reading too much into this, or missing the point. Yes, the now Princess of Friendship did abandon her old "friends" (if you can call them that), but now that she is a much more mature, developed "Princess of Friendship", she made sure to right her mistakes. As another poster said, not everyone is perfect. Not everyone gets it right the first time.

If I cannot call them her 'friends', then who were they? She called them friends.

And, honestly -- I'm 23 years old and I know that abandoning friends is one of the worst things you can do to them. I doubt that Twilight is too much younger than me, and that she doesn't know that.

Alot of people here seem to be forgetting that when Twilight left Canterlot there was a 1000 year old evil alicorn about to inflict Eternal Darkness across Equestria looming on the horizon... i'm pretty sure thats a decent reason to not be able to hang out with your friends, plus she moved to Ponyville on Celestia's decree. I don't see Moondancer and co turning around saying no to her.

Plus they could have visited Twilight in ponyville if they wanted to.

It's the only excuse for her, I think.

If I was the one who runs MLP, I'd have made it perfect. And show the perfect relationship, perfect friendship, perfect characters and so on. Yes, I would like that. Don't think that everyone thinks the same, please. It has to be perfect, because we need to see how perfect characters act. To become like them.

Well, good luck with that.  Don't you see?  Nobody can make a perfect character.  Even if they tried to make a character who never makes mistakes, it wouldn't matter--somebody would find fault in them.  Imperfect beings cannot create perfection.  You can't show your audience the perfect relationship or the perfect friendship because there's no such thing.  I'd argue that it's impossible to even conceive of a universe in which there is such a thing.  And if there was such a thing, it would only be an opinion anyway.  We can't show an audience how perfect characters act, because we don't know, because there's no such thing.  And attempting to create perfect characters would just cause the audience to measure themselves against impossible standards.  These ponies have realistic personalities that are actually beneficial to the audience in the real world.  They're realistic enough that it's not unhealthy for kids to measure themselves against them.  I'll reiterate that kids learn far more from the current show than they would from so called "perfect" characters.  Plus, for 99.99% of the audience, a show with nothing but perfect characters would be BORING.

If you really want a perfect show, then watch this:

I'm serious.  That's as perfect as you're ever going to find.

Anyway, once again, I'm really sorry about what you've been through.  Not everyone is like that.  You've had a lot of crappy luck, that's for sure.

And I really 'love' that quote: "don't let the actions of whoever hurt you in the past stop you from being friends with anyone else".

I absolutely 'love' it. It's like: "Hey, your friend abandoned you? Don't care, make another one. Another one abandoned you? Make another one! Keep doing that, don't stop. The most friends will abandon you, the more you can make, so they will abandon you later."

Dozens. Dozens times I was abandoned. I took the advice, and tried to follow it. Here's the outcome. I was abandoned, moved on, become friends with someone else, was abandoned, moved on, and it was happening for a long time.

Doesn't soud like a good advice, if you ask me.

P.S. Sorry, if I sound agressive. Didn't mean to.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but that's impossible. It's impossible to reach perfection. The best you can get is a healthy, nurturing friendship, but even that will have its flaws. Perfection simply doesn't exist, and to attempt to reflect this in fiction works is not only a completely unattainable goal, but sends a very, very wrong message - a message that you yourself have managed to be suckered into.

Also, to be blunt, perfection is boring. You think it's a great idea writing it out here, but trust me, in practice, it's a big writing no-no. If you don't have a conflict, you don't have a story. It's why dystopian-esque settings are so frequent in media these days, to show how awful (and impossible) a utopia like you're proposing really is. Take a look at The Giver; it's a novel that uses these themes in itself, and it's pretty good, I think.

By the way, no, "don't let the actions of whoever hurt you in the past stop you from being friends with everyone else" =/= the second quotation that you made. You are absolutely allowed to feel hurt, to feel crushed, and no one and I mean absolutely no one expects you to rebound so quickly (or at least, no one who matters). But here's the thing, if you take a defeatist attitude with friendship, you will never be able to have it for yourself. People pick up on that disposition, of someone who expects them to abandon you later, and that really isn't fair to them to project that onto them. It leads to resentment that is undeserved within the friendship, and ultimately they will want to leave themselves because no one wants to get wrapped up in baggage that they didn't cause. I'm telling you first hand as someone who has suffered from emotional abuse and abandonment myself, I've ruined many a friendship simply because our relationship was strained as a result of my inability to trust them due to past experiences that were not of their doing. Hell, sometimes it even affects relationships I have now, and I'm working to shed that off of me because it really isn't their fault, and if anything it pushes them away, making the cycle repeat.

I also hate to say this, but your attitude toward Twilight for making mistakes in her past (mistakes that she has made up for within the show, by the way, and Moondancer will no longer be hurt by) will likely put many a friend off of you as well. Forgiveness is a strength, not a weakness. I understand how you feel, really, I do, but if you hold people to this standard of a mistake that is fixable being absolutely deplorable to you, then there is absolutely no way any human being can meet that standard. People make mistakes all the time, and I'm sure you do, too. Absolutely, you're allowed to have a limit on what you will or will not tolerate, but you really have to realize that pretty much everyone has skeletons in the closet, including you, and to hold people to the standard of what they used to do means you will have to develop a kind of misanthropy in order to cope. And you deserve better than that. You deserve better than to feel like everyone is out to abandon you. You deserve better than to look at everyone waiting for them to walk out of your life.

This episode was an incredible episode because it's easy to forget how callous you can be to other people sometimes, and it's completely understandable why Twilight did as well. She was a shut-in, someone who had trouble making friends, and there's some evidence to suggest that part of it is due to ponies having mocked her when she was younger (e.g. Magic Kindergarten flashback in Lesson Zero, the implication that Shining Armor was her only friend, the fact that in other episodes she expressed that she did always want sleepovers, etc.). Why would she want to make friends with people who isolated her and hurt her in that way? She likely, as you do, believed that all ponies were that way, that they would give her grief, so it was better for her to stay inside. Twilight taught Moondancer that lesson because it was one that she had to learn. Through Celestia paying it forward by teaching Twilight to persevere with friendship, to realize that it is magic, she managed to better the life of not only Twilight, but several other ponies in succession with each other. And THAT is the beauty of the show. It's not perfect, no, but it doesn't have to be because ultimately the ponies' lives were bettered anyway by the magic of friendship. Twilight became the glue to hold this together because she realized its true value, and if the show is doing its job right, you should be learning it along with her.

I hope that helps you in understanding why many of us are giving you counterarguments and telling you why the show is the way it is. If it was perfect, it wouldn't be able to teach these aesops in such an efficient way. It wouldn't be able to inspire hope in kids about the power of friendship and what it can do, while simultaneously being able to showcase the possible downsides of having friends. The benefits of friendship far outweigh the negatives; not perfect, but absolutely worth having in your life, and developing and working on in order to have healthy friendships, at that, with multiple different personalities, even some who don't share many of your interests. That has always been, and always will be the show's message.

• Brohoof 5

"Amending Fences" is my favorite episode, so maybe I can help. It's as simple as Moondancer considering Twilight a friend, but Twilight not really thinking twice about MoonDancer. So, when Twilight realized how important she was to Moondancer, she felt terrible about what she did to her and wanted to make it up to her. Also, Princess Celestia was never clear about who to make friends with, she just simply said "make some friends." She never told Twilight whether she should make new friends in Ponyville or work on her relationships in Canterlot. Hope this helped!

Except if you watch the first episode, Twilight is sent to check on the celebration and THEN Celestia charges her with making friends.

"There is more to a young pony's life than studying. So I'm sending you to supervise the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration in this year's location, Ponyville. And I have an even more essential task for you to complete: make some friends!"

It's clear that Celestia sent Twilight to Ponyville to "make friends".

In all honesty, this episode is by far my least favorite in Season 5, and maybe in the show as a whole.

Nobody would believe in a perfect world. a "perfect" Equestria would have no villains. No Nightmare Moon. No Sombra, No Discord. Without our ponies to fight these flawed beings, their would be no conflict in the show, no reason for us to want to see our heroines save the day and prove normal ponies can save the day just as well as some OP-Goddess like princess. :P

It'll be enough of some omnipotent deity will perfect Equestria and ponies, and there's the country being shown. That's all that needed.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but that's impossible. It's impossible to reach perfection. The best you can get is a healthy, nurturing friendship, but even that will have its flaws. Perfection simply doesn't exist, and to attempt to reflect this in fiction works is not only a completely unattainable goal, but sends a very, very wrong message - a message that you yourself have managed to be suckered into.

Also, to be blunt, perfection is boring. You think it's a great idea writing it out here, but trust me, in practice, it's a big writing no-no. If you don't have a conflict, you don't have a story. It's why dystopian-esque settings are so frequent in media these days, to show how awful (and impossible) a utopia like you're proposing really is. Take a look at The Giver; it's a novel that uses these themes in itself, and it's pretty good, I think.

By the way, no, "don't let the actions of whoever hurt you in the past stop you from being friends with everyone else" =/= the second quotation that you made. You are absolutely allowed to feel hurt, to feel crushed, and no one and I mean absolutely no one expects you to rebound so quickly (or at least, no one who matters). But here's the thing, if you take a defeatist attitude with friendship, you will never be able to have it for yourself. People pick up on that disposition, of someone who expects them to abandon you later, and that really isn't fair to them to project that onto them. It leads to resentment that is undeserved within the friendship, and ultimately they will want to leave themselves because no one wants to get wrapped up in baggage that they didn't cause. I'm telling you first hand as someone who has suffered from emotional abuse and abandonment myself, I've ruined many a friendship simply because our relationship was strained as a result of my inability to trust them due to past experiences that were not of their doing. Hell, sometimes it even affects relationships I have now, and I'm working to shed that off of me because it really isn't their fault, and if anything it pushes them away, making the cycle repeat.

I also hate to say this, but your attitude toward Twilight for making mistakes in her past (mistakes that she has made up for within the show, by the way, and Moondancer will no longer be hurt by) will likely put many a friend off of you as well. Forgiveness is a strength, not a weakness. I understand how you feel, really, I do, but if you hold people to this standard of a mistake that is fixable being absolutely deplorable to you, then there is absolutely no way any human being can meet that standard. People make mistakes all the time, and I'm sure you do, too. Absolutely, you're allowed to have a limit on what you will or will not tolerate, but you really have to realize that pretty much everyone has skeletons in the closet, including you, and to hold people to the standard of what they used to do means you will have to develop a kind of misanthropy in order to cope. And you deserve better than that. You deserve better than to feel like everyone is out to abandon you. You deserve better than to look at everyone waiting for them to walk out of your life.

This episode was an incredible episode because it's easy to forget how callous you can be to other people sometimes, and it's completely understandable why Twilight did as well. She was a shut-in, someone who had trouble making friends, and there's some evidence to suggest that part of it is due to ponies having mocked her when she was younger (e.g. Magic Kindergarten flashback in Lesson Zero, the implication that Shining Armor was her only friend, the fact that in other episodes she expressed that she did always want sleepovers, etc.). Why would she want to make friends with people who isolated her and hurt her in that way? She likely, as you do, believed that all ponies were that way, that they would give her grief, so it was better for her to stay inside. Twilight taught Moondancer that lesson because it was one that she had to learn. Through Celestia paying it forward by teaching Twilight to persevere with friendship, to realize that it is magic, she managed to better the life of not only Twilight, but several other ponies in succession with each other. And THAT is the beauty of the show. It's not perfect, no, but it doesn't have to be because ultimately the ponies' lives were bettered anyway by the magic of friendship. Twilight became the glue to hold this together because she realized its true value, and if the show is doing its job right, you should be learning it along with her.

I hope that helps you in understanding why many of us are giving you counterarguments and telling you why the show is the way it is. If it was perfect, it wouldn't be able to teach these aesops in such an efficient way. It wouldn't be able to inspire hope in kids about the power of friendship and what it can do, while simultaneously being able to showcase the possible downsides of having friends. The benefits of friendship far outweigh the negatives; not perfect, but absolutely worth having in your life, and developing and working on in order to have healthy friendships, at that, with multiple different personalities, even some who don't share many of your interests. That has always been, and always will be the show's message.

Don't tell me that the society where everyone is happy, safe, has perfect friendship, don't experience negative emotions and can only feel positive, joy, and happiness with no end is a bad thing. Because it'll be wrong. Every society wants to achieve that state.

Also, perfection means perfection. There's no boredom. Nopony is able to experience boredom, because they always happy, and have everything they want to not be boring.

People can treat me hovewer they want. But now I will abandon them first. MLP taught me that much -- strike before they will strike you. But it's not the topic about me and my life.

You fall into the same pit. Somebody abandoned you, you forgave him, then he abandons you again, you forgave him, and then it happens again. I've been through this, like you have. You should know better.

I don't care about inspiring kids. Parents should be concerned about it. If I was the person who runs the show, I'd have done exactly what I wrote -- made an omnipotent deity, who would have perfected Equestria and ponies and will become the eternal keeper of this land,

making sure that everyone is happy and has everything they need and want.

Don't tell me that the society where everyone is happy, safe, has perfect friendship, don't experience negative emotions and can only feel positive, joy, and happiness with no end is a bad thing. Because it'll be wrong. Every society wants to achieve that state.

Also, perfection means perfection. There's no boredom. Nopony is able to experience boredom, because they always happy, and have everything they want to not be boring.

Except to truly understand how great happiness is, you need to experience pain. In order to appreciate the down times, you need to have had hardships in the first place. That's how life works, and it's richer for it. You may feel that a perfect world would be wonderful, but I disagree. I like having a myriad of different emotions, being complex. I like being able to own those emotions instead of being forced to always feel the same one.

I do want a society with less hardship, but I don't want a perfect society. With it, we wouldn't have freedom of human expression. In a perfect society, shows like these wouldn't exist. Neither would many paintings, or music, or anything subjective. I like the variety, I like the subjectivity. Sameness does not appeal to me whatsoever.

It'll be enough of some omnipotent deity will perfect Equestria and ponies, and there's the country being shown. That's all that needed.

People can treat me hovewer they want. But now I will abandon them first. MLP taught me that much -- strike before they will strike you. But it's not the topic about me and my life.

If that is the lesson that you gleaned from MLP, you have been completely and grossly misinterpreting it. You shouldn't abandon people just because you yourself have been abandoned. Why would you want to put someone else through the same pain that you have been through? Is that what you really want to do? It's funny, because you condemn Twilight for doing the same thing. Why would you do that?

You fall into the same pit. Somebody abandoned you, you forgave him, then he abandons you again, you forgave him, and then it happens again. I've been through this, like you have. You should know better.

Here's the problem with your equivalency - I got out of it. You know how I got out of that pit? By actually working on my behavior, and attempting to shed that mistrust in people. I have a great many friends who still surround me, and that is a result of making myself approachable and worth being friends with. Sure, some people leave, but I don't let that stay with me anymore, and I am far, far happier for it. Instead of lusting after perfection that isn't attainable, I try my hardest to take advantage of what life does give me.

Absolutely, if someone keeps ditching me and hurting me over and over again, then I won't stick with that person, but that won't prevent me from moving on to new people. Not everyone is going to do that to me.

I don't care about inspiring kids. Parents should be concerned about it. If I was the person who runs the show, I'd have done exactly what I wrote -- made an omnipotent deity, who would have perfected Equestria and ponies and will become the eternal keeper of this land,

Well, and this is going to be blunt, I'm glad you're not running the show, then. If you want to make a show like that then go ahead, but don't expect it to hit it off very well. An aesop show that doesn't have any aesops is useless to kids.

• Brohoof 4

And then you'd look at it and realise how shit it is.Seeing ponies being given stuff for no reason. People not working hard to achieve something because they'll just get given it for no reason. People won't share interests because in this land of nonsense you've created everyone like everything regardless of what it its. No one will win anything because everyone wins. Dash won't join the woinderbolts because everypony will be one. Pinkie Pie won't party because Equestria is now a rave fest. No point in Rarity making dresses because everypony can make clothes just as good as her.

Do you see the flaw of what what a "perfect world" would be yet??

• Brohoof 2

Congratulations, you have reached the same level as the King of Pointland. A state of "perfect happiness" is meaningless. True happiness would not countenance sadness, and would thus have nothing to compare itself against, rendering happiness itself a term devoid of meaning. 

We can only appreciate good things in contrast to suffering the lack of such things.

• Brohoof 2

Topic derailed. Thread locked.

@arftbmrf, I altered the topic title and removed the "I don't get it ..." part. You get it enough to assert yourself enough in this topic on specific salient points so your chosen title comes across as disingenuous. I have no patience for disingenuous ... titles. 

I am going to reopen this topic again, because the discussion is interesting enough to merit it. That said, should this turn into anything not easily connected to the episode being discussed, I will either lock the topic ... or kick the individuals who derailed it from participating in this one. 

The answer to this whole thing is contextual linguistic elasticity. 

Checkmate.jpg

• Brohoof 5

Topic derailed. Thread locked.

@arftbmrf, I altered the topic title and removed the "I don't get it ..." part. You get it enough to assert yourself enough in this topic on specific salient points so your chosen title comes across as disingenuous. I have no patience for disingenuous ... titles. 

I am going to reopen this topic again, because the discussion is interesting enough to merit it. That said, should this turn into anything not easily connected to the episode being discussed, I will either lock the topic ... or kick the individuals who derailed it from participating in this one. 

The answer to this whole thing is contextual linguistic elasticity. 

sig-4138675.Checkmate.jpg

You might as well cancel it. I already understood that ponies are back-stabbing bastards and Equestria is no the land of friendship, but the land of abandonment instead.

You might as well cancel it. I already understood that ponies are back-stabbing bastards and Equestria is no the land of friendship, but the land of abandonment instead.

I think you could watch your words there. You're treating them like your own experiences, maybe? That's not what happened in this episode, or...in any. Cheer up: you can always bounce off your wording on others when you understand something and then feel bad about it :) That's what the show discussion is about. And forums in general!

Listen to the others who posted here. They give great advice.

Then it has no sense. I thought that the show teaches not to leave your friends, but this episode shows that the Princess of Friendship herself left her friends? Then what we can expect from others, if the Friendship made flesh doesn't give a flying feather about basic values of friendship?

The moral of the entire show from episode 1 was that Twilight had matured and grown since her time in Canterlot.  She had friends, but didn't appreciate them as she should have.  When she moved away from Canterlot she began to understand friendship and it became more important to her.  Amending Fences is her realizing what a poor friend she was in Canterlot and trying to make amends for that. 

Yes, she's the Princess of Friendship.  That doesn't mean she was born with a perfect knowledge of Friendship.  It was the journey she took to understanding how to be a good friend that gave her such a deep understanding of it.

• Brohoof 3

I think she recognized her classmates were trying to be her friends, and that she was too busy to have any time for them. That is what she was trying to fix.

That isn't really the case. You need to realize that the writing would be unrealistic and unrelatable if it was "flawless".

"When I was young I was too busy to make any friends.

Such silliness did not seem worth the effort it expends."

MLP theme song

"My dear Twilight, there is more to a young pony's life than studying, so I'm sending you to supervise the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration in this year's location: Ponyville. And, I have an even more essential task for you to complete: make some friends!"

Celestia's letter

So, my question is simple:

What the heck is going on in that episode? It was clearly stated that Twilight did not have any friends until she went to Ponyville. From what hole did those offended friends creep out? Why Twilight feels so guilty for missing the party, if it wasn't a party of a friend? I have no sinlge idea about anything in that episode. Just doesn't make any sense.

Please, anyone, explain it to me. I was thinking about it since this episode aired, and I need to know.

Thanks.

I'm sure they saw her as a friend, but she didn't see them the same way.

Or at least she didn't until she learned what friendship was really about.

when she thought back on it, she realized those ponies had been friends and felt bad about having left so suddenly.

• Brohoof 1